Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Far too many contributors on the show. Everyone was speaking at a hundred miles an hour because they knew they'd be cut off soon enough.

There must have been 10 or 12 speakers tonight in a show with an airtime of around 45 minutes. With time for Claire asking questions, you'd have about 3 minutes or so average for all speakers. Any time there was a bit of hesitation or someone lost their train or thought Claire was on to the next person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The only thing that comes across to me is the utter failure of what was the mainstream Irish centre left. We’re now at a point where a party with a very odd association with the troubles and that’s reminding me a lot of some version of a populist Fianna Fáil is wearing centre left clothes. I don’t see any evidence of them delivering centre left policies very effectively in NI and they’ve sat on their hands on social agenda issues, notably abortion rights. They’ve also had a position on EU issues in the recent past that’s been pretty eurosceptic. It’s modified a bit, but I’m still not sure where they stand and I’m not comfortable with it.

FF and FG have also failed to respond to two huge issues. They seem to only have one approach, which keeps causing mad speculative bubbles in housing. You can’t realistically afford to house yourself in Dublin, Cork and quite a few other places anymore and the health system has just been an onnishambles for as long as I’ve been alive.

I don’t see SF as being the solution to that, but it looks like they’re going to be a major component of the next government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That’s why “soundbite” formats like this are dying and in depth, 3 hour broad range discussions on topics like on the Joe Rogan show are increasingly popular.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

I wouldn't be taken in by that 'don't trust the old provos' nonsense. FF/FG are asking the public to make a distinction that they don't make themselves.

Consider the example of Phil Flynn

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

There are old provos in several other parties. The issue however is a bit different due to the organisational structure and direct linkages between the party and the dodgy history and a continuous failure to place clear distance.

Had SF relaunched as SF Nua or something and really drawn a line in the late 1990s, I think these questions wouldn’t be here now. They didn’t and the questions will remain.

I can see all the problems and I’m directly impacted by several of them, but I just am not seeing yet another version of Irish centrist populism as a solution and I really don’t regard SF as a left wing party. They’re all over the shop on that topic - like they seem to oppose property taxes, yet want taxes on wealth. I don’t know where they stand on environmental policies. I don’t see FF and FG as being a solution either though.

To be quite honest, I am increasingly scratching my head when I go to vote. Last time around I didn’t really feel any passion for any of the options on the ballot paper and that’s crazy given we’ve a huge array of parties and options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I don’t get the point of the link. He was appointed by a Labour minister who led a party that included former Trotskyist’s and money forgers.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

The only thing I’ll say is at least in the PR-STV system we’ll get something that has to balance itself out. You’re very unlikely to ever see a single party in power here again because the electoral system is working as intended. The days of FF holding majorities were the anomalies and it speaks volumes about that very conservative era and the aftermath of the civil war on politics and creating almost zombie voting loyalty. That’s all gone and I think voters make very pragmatic decisions and are far more fickle in how they shop around, which is a good thing.

It also means if they are given a significant mandate they’ll be expected to deliver. They’ll also have to be good coalition partners or they’ll be looking at collapsing governments. It’s a very different place to being in opposition and it’s shredded a lot of parties who didn’t deliver.

So even if SF get in they’ll be in a broad coalition. That’s not a bad thing - it’s how we get stability and consensus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Honestly, it’s the best way of interviewing guests. You can just roll them off if they don’t answer questions…

There’s a LOT of footage for a whole series of Reeling in the Years, exclusively dedicated to 2019-2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jo187

On Twitter it was mostly positive for SF. It was seen as a attack on SF by RTE and the old guard. Clearly a generation divide going on here. A whole group who don't know/care about SF past and it not being the stick it was to beat them with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I missed the show but almost threw up my Weetabix on hearing that Clown, Eddie Hobbs was on, mother of God what are RTE thinking inviting this ghastly individual on 😳

I'm reminded of this

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

I don't really care about SFs past. You have to draw the line somewhere. There may be some dodgy figures in SF but I'm not going to give my vote to a party like Labour or Soc Dems who won't do anything for me anyways. Selling out the country to investment funds is criminal in my eyes!

And sure FG are in bed with Michael Lowry for the last decade and he's got a criminal record due to his actions as a FG minister.

Leo is under a criminal investigation himself.

Micheal Martin was a high ranking member of FF when they were openly crooked and led by no bank account Bertie.

FG wanted to commemorate the RUC. FG adore Michael Collins, do you think he was all innocent and never killed any innocent people? No chance!

FG were going to give Zappone a well connected job through no merit just last year until they were caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A bit like the lad in the pub watching the match and shouting “ how did he miss that?” Or “me granny would score from there”. Maybe we should just throw her on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭crossman47

Well if you don't care about SF's past you're welcome to them. I certainly don't want a SF minister with any role whatsoever in relation to Justice or Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

That Tony fact checker guy was quality.

Had them all uneasy.

& there so much more you could easily add to that list.

I'll say it out straight .....even though I'm ashamed of it now I was LABOUR hard-core all my life up to the day the lovely Joan abolished the bereavement grant.obviously there was lots of other reasons but that was the final straw for me.

My intention is to give SF #1 in the next election.....i really think it's high time we tried the/ an alternative.....i hope they do very well, I wish them all the best....the 'system' they'll inherit is rotten to the core & clearly only works for the many vested interests.

• Advertisement

I just find it incredible that Joe Brolly is persona non grata in RTE for speaking the truth and saying some unionists are bigots yet a man who lost 90% of a 13 million investment fund is put on air as some kind of financial expert. Like how the fcuk did that happen? Its like the twilight zone or something.

Like imagine you were one of his clients and you lost a few hundred thousand in one of his property schemes in Cape Verde or Detroit and then you see him pop up on RTE with his schtick telling us what is going to happen the economy. The guy is an absolute charlatan yet RTE dont even think twice about giving him air time to promote himself and his wares.

I'm not one of those investors but watched this vile individual essentially advising people to purchase property, invest , re mortgage etc for a number of years during the boom times and then vanishwhen the poo hit the fan. That investment that went Tits up is all we know about , I'd say your 100% correct , a lot of people caught after his advice looking at that smug clown last night must have been feeling quite ill. Another celtic tiger Moronic fool popped up recently, Karl Deeter , I fear a spot of rehabilitation going on in media circles, hopefully people won't be fooled twice.

Charlie Flanagan wanted to commemorate the black and tans.

Our Tanaiste is under criminal investigation.

Drew Harris has a shady history and links with the British cover ups yet FG picked him as Garda Commissioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

When I comes to judicial appointments, I wonder will SF have barristers/solicitors among their ranks to choose from.

Appointing High Court /Central criminal Court /special criminal court judges, its all ahead of them

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

There needs to be programmes on TV on the victims of Provo violence.

I see Drew Harris just got a 2 year extension to his contract, hopefully someone will eventually find a uniform that actually fits him 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its bizarre as myself, the missus and a few friends were talking at the weekend and the topic of property abroad and Eddie Hobbs came up and we were wondering what he was up to now.

Turned on the tv last night and couldnt believe that there he was !

He has a brass neck that chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Maybe so but I don't recall any of the above being arrested and questioned about the disappearance and murder of a single mother?

🤣🤣🤣

Speaking of Turnips,

A friends Cabbage Died Recently .. ..

He was thrilled there was a large Turnip at the funeral 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't see it last night but watched the 2 minute clip of this Tony fella, he seemed to know his stuff all right.

But SF do themselves no favours coming out with populist bullsh1t like they did today saying anyone earning under 60 k should get between €100 and €200 of a payment on top of the energy one already on offer.

McDonald is no fool so she knows she is talking crap but sooner or later they will probably be in Government so its going to be a big change to them when they have to do things that aren't going to be popular with their voters.

Karl Deeter is far from a fool and was not a media feature until around 2011

yeah I dont remember Deeter being around in the media during the Celtic Tiger at all. He first showed up in the crash around 2011 on Vincent Browne on TV3. When he first appeared on tv he had some sort of tick or problem with his eyes that made him blink heavily a lot but he has since got that sorted out.

I knew that Tony Groves name looked familiar. He has a podcast and popular twitter account.

I don't think he was that great tbh. He said we're not creating quality jobs. If there's one thing we're doing, it's creating quality, well paid jobs. That's why rents are so high because people can pay them.

He asked why do 40% of households rely on some kind of welfare. I think that says more about our benefits than being poor.

He also said no one gave a crap about the cost of living crisis until Google came out and said it was a problem? I don't see any major change in government approach between before and after Google said that?

Creating well paid jobs for a minority of people. So many working poor. As you saw on the program people can't afford the rent, let alone save for a mortgage. If you think about it working people should not be HAP but so many need that service.

I'm not sure about the Google thing but clearly this government is catering to the elite and themselves. Over 10 years into this housing crisis and no end in sight and a government who refuses to do anything like rent control etc

We had rent subsidies when rents were at their lowest.

Poor is relative. You'll never not have poor people.

• Advertisement

That people getting HAP when working isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I’m quite alarmed that SF supporters can watch that and feel victimised. I’ve seen numerous people claim RTE have a centre-right bias, which is patently untrue to anyone who watches more than an occasional broadcast. It looks like any criticism of the next party of government will be met with howls of indignation, which is a dangerous scenario.

The party response to criticism of SF’s IRA associations is to say, That’s in the past, we’re a party of the present. But no party is more concerned with the past than SF, regularly commemorating anniversaries, etc, and equating FG with the Blueshirts.

‘Tony Groves’ was given far too much room for manoeuvre. He should never have been allowed shout from his chair and his belief that he was fact-checking proceedings was arrogant and delusional.

Martin Beanz Ward spoke well and was likeable. Alison O’Connor, too, though she rather too much emphasised her middle class background to preempt objections. Aidan Reagan never seems to have anything much to say.

Matt Carthy was appalling. Like many SF politicians he exudes disdain - he twice insulted Eddie Hobbs, whom I don’t like incidentally - and calling a question ‘silly’ about advisors with IRA convictions should end a political career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Claire can handle the challenges the show brings her.

I'd agree about the reaction of SF themselves. This show was about the rise of SF. It wasn't a SF hit piece or way to get people to go against SF. This tweet from a TD for example, I just don't understand what the problem is? It was a programme about the rise in Sinn Fein, why people vote or don't vote for them.

In 2011 they got 14 seats. 9 years later they're the biggest party and returned 37 seats. That's nearly trebling their seats in 9 years. I think it's a worthy discussion topic.

A similar show on FFG wouldn't be very interesting. "why do you vote for FFG"..."well things are going fine I think" or "My family have always voted FFG"

I think two adults working full time should be able to afford the rent and not need help.

You think do that the government should pay for this? Instead of tackling the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What's the point in working if you have to be dependent on the state for somewhere to stay, there should be affordable housing for all,criminal conviction should bar people from social housing

Show me any desirable country in the world who doesn't provide some manner of social housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The fact you think Tony Groves should never have been allowed talk says it all. You’re the very type that will see SF sit in government next. Keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think you've misunderstood, you said working people needing HAP was acceptable, my response is that work should pay enough that you can afford your own place without having to go asking the state for it, if housing has gone beyond the means of the average worker then the country is truly fuked and the entire mass of elected representing should be cast adrift in the North Atlantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,002 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mondo from Fair City is on tonight to talk about masks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement