Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

3D Flybys here. Also in the app too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wish this was this weekend :/

Gonna try get in as much practice as i can the next 10 days or so. Need to be hitting more fairways, given how screwed you can be in that rough. Practice the old punch and roll as well.

10 day forecast, looks about as we'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Better pack a few more golf balls with that wind...

25 to 30 Km/h is ok, tough but ok. Over that it might be worth looking at the green tees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads...from my own experience...with these sort of winds around...weather never that accurate this far out..

Wouldn't bother till 2 or 3 days out.

Yeah, wouldn't be taking that too seriously, but I think it's safe to assume it'll be windy 🌪️⛳️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

played corballis in the wind yesterday, it is alot of fun (between the showers). But so easy to scratch a hole

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Will mats be in play this time of year?

they didn't have mats the last time we played there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't think that they ever do (though GolfGraffix could confirm 100%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Thanks a million also for the course guide and brilliantly described Golfgraffix.

Need some serious practice ahead of the first outing, due to other commitments I missed golf last Sunday and it was very windy for my two golf partners off the Celtic sea.

What was the short par 3 on Portmarnock links that had the green surrounded by dune and a swirling wind came in off the beach from your left? Was it the 11th?

52 golfers is also great amount of players for the first outing. Really looking forward to Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

Thanks for the rundown Golfgraffix. Very helpful even though I’ve played here with boards a few times now. This course has given me my worst score in a society year before so hoping for a good start on this 1.

PP

Know there are a few Tom Coyne fans on here, so a short video of his trip here. Few nice shots and views in the clip

Also to note, it's designed by Langer, and that's not that Cork lad, @Break80 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

The why the wind has been blowing this past few weeks, Tramore , if we get a calm day on the 19th, i am not sure we'll know how to play it.

It's going to be fun though. Really looking forward to it.

There is one space available at 10:50 and nobody on the waiting list

Nice video space - Tom is an interesting character. Deeply connected with Ireland - he actually walked Ireland playing every links course on the journey. You often have human pursuit written by the person on the journey. The difference with Tom is he is a real journalist , so the writing , the research is a completely different level.

Here is a good article - that probably explains why some of his travels were of the outrageously extreme nature. He also features a bit on Tourist Sauce Ireland - a good watch (but actually Ireland not the best in the series)

Anyway - a bit of a Segway - time to focus on getting ready for next week.

Looking forward to it - big build up , maybe too big a build up. Time for golf.

Portmarnock links ; Does it have it's own clubhouse/spike bar.

Where will the outing admin/social take place.

First time to visit.

There snug bar is open to visitors and is connected to the pro shop where you will checkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

This time next week we will be knee deep in the post-mortems!

looking forward to getting back at it folks

• Advertisement

Still 1 spot up for grabs for this one folks. Book in on ClubNet

Playing the Curragh on Thursday, then Roganstown on Friday. Not quite links prep, but given my lack of golf these last few weeks, any practice will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Had to pull my name from the 10.50 slot lads. I have to work next Saturday and wouldn't make it back in time. Sorry about that. This was the course on the rotation I really wanted to play too.

On weather watch for the week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Best not to look. Worried for Kiith's Curragh and Roganstown plans 😲

I'll be playing, rain or shine ☔️

Assuming the courses are still open that is 😐️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The weather the next 5 days is pretty Irish, 2 storms and lots of rain. Saturday could be a day for the Wilson balls and make it a 6 pack.

yeah you would imagine that with Friday and Sunday looking so volatile it could easily hit saturday. The fella from Carlow weather who seems to be the man when it comes to weather predictions in ireland was on the radio last year talking about our ability to make accurate predictions. He said with the tech thats available you only really can have a reliable forecast 36 hours in advance, So will look again thursday evening

I think we can assume its going to be wet and windy, regardless of what they tell us 🤣

this is super nice

Apologies if already shared https://www.provisualizer.com/courses/portmarnocklinks.php

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

With the big storm on the radar for the weekend, what are the chances the greenkeepers may cut a nice wide and short fairway from tee to green so I can use a putter all the way to keep it on the deck? Hope the 3 lads with me have good eye sight as the ball could literally go anywhere (including behind me). 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

My wife insists we live in a microclimate - the driest part in Ireland. I hate to admit it, but I do actually think we get less rain than most of the country. We'll see if it holds true on Saturday.

For anyone looking for coffee and a snack before the round - I would highly recommend beach brew for a coffee and snack. It's one of those hipster trailers beside the club. From the front gate - it's immediately after the public car park next door.

And possibly mentioned before but anyone looking to hit balls before hand, there are a couple if nets at the back of the practice greens, so you may want to head for Kinsealy Driving Range early if you want to get a full warm up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Exactly! The sun always shines at boards outings 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭eireyiddo

That could be an ugly but very effective game plan. I'm in👌

You haven't truly experienced a boards.ie event till you've gone to the range before hand, hit some amazing shots and been really confident, then play like absolute shite on the course.

It's a tradition here 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......

"SATURDAY a secondary low may follow quickly behind Eunice and bring intervals of sleet or snow, changing to a cold rain at times, with winds west to northwest 70-110 km/hr, temperatures 2-5 C."

From MT Cranium's long range forecast!

🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

"may"

Please not.

Don't worry lads - it's a microclimate. The driest part of Ireland. I'd recommend not even bringing rain gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

Look's ok 😂

Post edited by SEORG on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I played Palmerstown years ago and it started to snow, we’ll be grand!!

2 (3?) years ago for the boards.ie opener, the weather was shocking and we still enjoyed it. I remember standing on (i think) the 4th green, bracing against the driving rain that was coming down. Immediately saturated. Even managed to have a full on air ball on the 11th, after nearly getting knocked back by a gust of wind.

If we can enjoy that, we'll enjoy Saturday.

It will be down to a mere zephyr come Sat Noon.

Ok lads - sorry was off the radar for a while - few problems on the home front.

Well all I can say - it would not be a boards outing without the weather coming into it. 😂

Don't get me wrong - looks poor up to 12 - but ok from then on. The way we have it set up, all the lads going for gross have got the bad end of the draw. Real Open Championship feel - serves them right, for looking cool, playing well and with their PROv1s. Marked in a special way the night before.

As a great preparation man here Roadrunner says - be ready for it, don't forget your rain gear , have the right clothes, a change. We will check if showers in clubhouse on the go ? Consider water on grips, green, wind, humidity and tide level. (joking on 1/2 of that)

Anyway - we will offer a few guest positions and there may be slight changes to the tee times due to drop outs. Seve will update as we get nearer.

Robbok was looking to bring a guest so I’ve dropped him a pm

there are a couple of more spots if anyone wants to jump in or bring a guest (drop me a pm with their name)

it will be €65 for guest for this one

Ok lads - we have had great homework over the last few weeks - on this, the last week. I've asked a member who, I genuinely think has one of the best preparation for any round I have seen. The key this week is course and weather............

I love to learn things from different golfers ( I don't always change my ways, but) - I could definitely do way way more in this area.

Over to you @RoadRunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Had to quit in esker Hills one year because of he hailstones. The ham and cabbage dinner afterwards was worth it though 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would've loved to have played but stuck doing Operation Transformation 5k with girlfriend ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Advertisement

Advertisement