Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

The other half is due to fly into Dublin Friday evening. Could be windy and snowy, could be delayed, she's thinking of staying on until Sunday evening..... Weekend in the pub and no Aldi for me Saturday. Any chance of this lasting a week 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather Advisory for Ireland Corrected

Through Thursday night and Friday morning, Storm Eunice will track eastwards over Ireland. It has the potential to be a multi-hazard and disruptive event with damaging winds, heavy rain and snow possible. 

Current indications are that the strongest winds are most likely to affect southern counties and the most significant falls of snow are most likely over central and northern parts of the country with locally blizzard conditions possible for a time and disruption to travel. 

Warnings will be issued on Wednesday morning and updated on Thursday morning.

Valid: 23:00 Thursday 17/02/2022 to 12:00 Friday 18/02/2022

Issued: 15:21 Tuesday 15/02/2022

Updated: 16:21 Tuesday 15/02/2022

I can see the Castle

The anomaly I was talking about was with an offshore wind though

So marginal that the urban heat island turned it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ICON, first model out this afternoon, has the track a tad further south. Snowfall mainly confined to Munster/South Leinster.

Ultimately all depends on the track. If you are within the precipitation band you are highly likely to see at least some snow.

Let's see how the rest pan out this afternoon. 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

ICON a little further south as mentioned earlier southern half of the country more likely to see snow. South Galway to Wicklow line more at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Geez, that puts me on the marginal north extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not another blizzard down here in Cork, I'm sick of them I tells ya, sick of them......

All joking aside, ICON is very consistent with its southerly track but still out on a limb somewhat. Clearly Met E currently see it going further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Reverse psychology

In terms of the GFS rolling out - it does not get much closer to potential blizzard like conditions for some

Also for the coastal counties in the east that wind is going offshore quite fast, one thing to be mindful of with the snow potential in case you're a bit iffy with the onshore northeasterlies leading to some mixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ICON snow depths for 9am Friday (the peak of snow-cover) and it looks like upland snow-cover at best, though very south coast is getting some low-level snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z is a big downgrade for snow too with southern and eastern half of country staying mostly wet. Icon as posted above is the other way around. Many more changes to come but I'm still putting my money on a mostly sloppy mess for the majority of the country. The charts on Thursday will be the important ones. More twists and turns for better or for worse between now and then.

GFS 12z also going for more wintry zonality during the 3rd week of February.

UKMO is a halfway house between the southerly track of ICON and the more northerly track of GFS and makes Co. Clare the sweet spot!

Some suggestion on Netweather that the GFS control is more like ICON but didn't check...

GEM on the other hand is same as GFS, if not more northerly,

and makes any snow a north western event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models trending for keeping the strongest most severe winds off the coast and hurtling into the UK, could still be quite windy along the SW, S, SE and E but we might be spared the very worst of it. Still looking up around Orange wind warnings for some counties.

I Think on balance ICON is too far South.

Very fast moving system and deepening on approach and as it transits the country on its current projected track. Shows a drop from 1000hPa at 15.00 Thurs to 967hPa at 06.00 Fri , a drop of 33hPa in 18hrs and goes on to drop a bit further.

Looks like a very severe storm for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just imagine yourself on a tropical island and you won't even notice this week's storms.

UKMO with some fairly widespread accumulations Friday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Who to watch!! Crazy the difference’s between them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

The government has issued a snow warning according to independent.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks like I'm not in the firing line for snow on Friday in in the North West so perhaps it's the South and East that will get some snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think there is a strong possibility of a snowfall event from the early hours of Fri morning up until around mid morning followed by numerous wintry showers during the day, some of hail and thunderstorms might be a possibility. Early Sat morning could get a reload of snow albeit in a mixture of rain to sleet to snow to rain again. Lots of rain to follow Sat and Sunday in Blustery conditions.

Some grand cold air up top and getting pulled right down to lower levels. Will make for some great footage if it comes off, big dinner plate sized snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Was looking foward to a good storm, Eunice looks like mostly a UK event now, tomorrows dud wind event is just standard fare,i notice theyve removed the orange warning for Donegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Icon is usually good to spot the trend though. But it always overdoes the snow..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldn't be taking todays charts seriously at all, not until at least tomorrow afternoon, Thursday afternoon and the pub run will be the crucial run. Overall big downgrades today in terms of snow and wind with the UK getting the lions share of everything, this could easily swing back in our favour tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Love dinnerplate snowflakes!. I think the North West will miss out on the snow initially from the front. Friday afternoon we will hopefully see some snow showers

The likes of Robertkk could get a siginficant fall in his location during Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

If this does come to pass (pleasssssssse god!) it looks like most of the snowfall will be in the middle of the night so we'll all be asleep?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Very odd article. No link to the warning and no details on it. Just info from met.ie

Also see that the orange warning for Donegal for wed is gone. Maybe to be replaced by something larger but only a couple of counties in NI with orange now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

What self respecting Snowbunny sleeps the night of an event??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ShawB

You have to sit at your window watching the lamp post until nothing happens and everyone eventually falls asleep 😭🤣

Advertisement