Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

I don't see what Russia has to gain by starting a hugely expensive war and incurring huge sanctions. It would likely turn into another Afghanistan. Of course the west knows they won't invade so why all the hysteria as the Russians rightly call it? Why is the west beating the war drum when they know there won't be war? That's the question.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

A couple reasons:

1) Russian posturing scuppers whatever plans US/UK/NATO had for Ukraine; this explains their over reaction.

2) Domestically both Biden and Borris probably need a "villian" they can use to justify their own military spending excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wrong,it was Russias trade wars and blackmailing of their neighbours that led to Ukraine seeking an EU deal,that Russias puppet president sabotaged ,and went for a Russian deal instead,thats why hes in exile in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

The difference being I made no laudable defence of Russia, why would I but you thought you were on to a good thing about Ukraine - you weren't.

As for membership of NATO holding the Ukranian to account...come off it! Abu ghraib, extraordinary rendition, Gitmo, million dead iraqi civilians.....held to account my backside! The US do as they wish with impunity and when the likes of Israel committed war crimes as they've done in Gaza they do so under the protection of the US...so you'll forgive me if I laugh in the face of any defence of the US or the UK on human rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Last night BBC2 showed a brilliant first episode of a series on the rise of the Nazis. It centres on the decision to invade their then ally, the USSR in Operation Barbarossa (1941). The attempts to deny that the Nazis intended to invade, the way in which dictators inevitably over-reach themselves and believe their own propaganda all bore an eerie resemblance to current events in Russia. It also reminded viewers of why Russians might be fearful of invasion from the West.

But I suppose that some people seem to forget that there are fairly fundamental differences between the German regime of 1941 and Western governments to-day. The German forces massed for Operation Barbarossa numbered 3 million. Current NATO deployments in the Baltic states and Poland are more like 10 thousand, spread out over about 1000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

send over the irish fishermen

@circadian @MFPM Did you read the US State Department's 2020 report on Turkey (NATO member).

Significant human rights issues included: reports of arbitrary killings; suspicious deaths of persons in custody; forced disappearances; torture; arbitrary arrest and continued detention of tens of thousands of persons, including opposition politicians and former members of parliament, lawyers, journalists, human rights activists, and employees of the U.S. Mission, for purported ties to “terrorist” groups or peaceful legitimate speech; the existence of political prisoners, including elected officials; politically motivated reprisal against individuals located outside the country; significant problems with judicial independence; severe restrictions on freedom of expression, the press, and the internet, including violence and threats of violence against journalists, closure of media outlets, and unjustified arrests or criminal prosecution of journalists and others for criticizing government policies or officials, censorship, site blocking and the existence of criminal libel laws; severe restriction of freedoms of assembly, association, and movement; some cases of refoulement of refugees; and violence against women and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex persons and members of other minorities.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/turkey/

It goes on and on as you can imagine.

What has NATO done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Have you seen 150k Russian troops in the border? There were supposed to be a similar number of Iraqi personnel on the Saudi border in 1991 except they just didn't exist. And what dialog do you hear from Putin that would suggest he is going to invade imminently other than what you are told he said or is saying or plotting? We're you this animated regarding North Korea? We're they not supposed to imminently attack Seoul and Hawaii and everyone else not long ago? The West has been crying wolf for eight years. Don't you find it amusing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

It's amusing to read all the comments here stating that Russia (or Soviet Union, same difference) has no reason to attack and will gain nothing doing so. That has never stopped them before. It's the same old same old decade after decade, century after century. Some power-hungry guy decides he wants more land even though he's not doing anything productive with the land he already has. My family has at least five hundred years of experience with them always following the same pattern, faking an attack by their enemy (often smaller) and then "retaliating". I hope things have changed but I'm not holding my breath. No-one moves around troops of over hundred thousand unless they plan on doing something with those troops. Unless of course they suddenly run out of money or something and have to call it quits. Well, we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

150k Russians is the entire military? Then Ukraine should not have much to worry about. The rest of Russia is now completely defenceless. A handful of Armenian reserves could overrun the South in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Some people are very disappointed that there is no war yet, despite several announcements. Like our resident military experts and Russophobes. BoJo too as he will have to go back to explaining government pandemic parties.

These people reminds me of various end of the world cranks who always find a reason why it did not happen yet only to set another date in the near future.

Do you actually think it ended .

Remember were even increasing out defense budget

Lol

The point is the US bare faced lied about the numbers of troops that Saddam had in Kuwait.

Similar to the lies they are touting about the numbers of Russian troops near Ukraine.

Didn't Saddam have the 4 biggest army in the world and the most heavily defended cities in the world in air defenses .

And yet they got rolled ......

Are you afraid that's what going to happen to your russian friends.

Again you have yet to prove a single claim on this thread

@BluePlanet can you please stop with the nonsense about iraq ,

This is the Russia aggression against Ukraine discussion ,

You can open a separate thread on the gulf war and then another on the second I'm sure you'll be in good company ...

Not that there would be any factual discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Can you point to a source that tells us the US are lying about the number of Russian troops on the Ukraine border?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Schultz has no say on Nato,

Under the minsk agreements elections can be held after foreign troops and equipment aka( Russian military) leave east ukraine and ukraine secures its borders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The only poster that I have seen express a desire for an invasion to occur was @Shao Kahn when they stated that Ukraine will be split into many pieces and they're opinion was that NATO and the west should stay out of eastern Europe. Where else have you seen disappointment that there is no war yet? I think everyone hopes for no war.

Not wanting Ukrainians sovereignty and lives to be taken by military invasion is not equivalent to being a russophobe.

He's still upset about cork fishermen standing up to the Russian navy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Why would we stop talking about the actions and policies of western powers, when their actions and policies are integral to the story of what is going on in Ukraine?

That would be completely nonsensical.

Nope, sorry Gatling, the US and the west are intimately connected to this whole mess. 🙂

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

No he doesn't ,nato admission is based off 28 members saying yes or no ,

Germany's Chancellor isn't a spokesperson for nato or negotiating on their behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Just heard Russian troops are moving off the border, what does this mean according to the posters on boards? What elaborate scheme is Putin up to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

He forget to add the long list of things the British have done over the last 700+ years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I have yet to hear the British and American narrative on the latest events, I'm sure this narrative coincidentally matches up with the opinions of the posters here on boards so could someone please explain to me what's going on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement