Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative balance on electricity account. Surely it's me that's owed and not them????

Options
  • 15-02-2022 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Simply put there is a -330 euro figure on electricity account

The account hasn't changed. There's just less electricity being used and it's is now being paid by a relative through Direct Debit

They're barely in the place so the usage is nowhere near what it used to be

The account even has usage graph showing the steep decline in use from i vacated the building.

Needless to say their offices are busy and will ring back so can't get confirmation off them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have this with my gas every year due to being on fixed billing, obviously use far more in winter and far less in the summer for heating so it balances out over the year.

Sounds like the electricty you have is the same.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

So they owe me/person paying it money.

The house is not being lived in at the moment other than an occasional day or 2 nothing major. So seasonal factors don't come into for us either. No appliances in home nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

If there's a credit on the a count then there'll just be nothing taken by direct debit (assuming bill under 330) until it's all used. There's still a standing charge to be paid each period.

We were getting estimated bills in work for a while but way over our usage. I submitted a meter reading and the next two bills were covered by the credit on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Yeah time will. Our reading was submitted few days ago.

We are level pay due to contract. So that minimum figure has/is being paid non stop

But certainly in our case there's bound to be a drop off in cost. Contract is up in a few months so we will want to know where we stand.

Definitely moving provider but is not on account to this

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

When the contract is up and you move account or change tariff make sure that any outstanding "overpayment" is refunded or credited to the new agreement.

Caution only the bill payer can request this (or someone who has a legal right to represent them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

On a level pay tariff they'll take the agreed DD amount every month regardless of how much credit the account is in. Obviously with most people this will balance out over the year but if the house isn't being lived in, that's obviously not going to happen. They'll issue a refund when you change supplier, and I'd go on a pay-for-use tariff rather than level pay with the new crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Is level pay not just a payment option and not connected to rates?

I'm almost certain that you can withdraw from it at any time. In the op's case the usage has not followed historical usage and therefore it is not suitable for them.

Normally you would be in credit on level pay in November and then the higher winter bills eat into the credit and you are back at a near zero balance by the time the year is finished as usage drops off in spring and summer.

Possibly €330 is not hugely off the mark as the Jan Feb bill still has to drop and you've paid the Jan monthly amount

Advertisement