Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Forbidden West (Horizon Zero Dawn Sequel) PS5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even on the youtube video it was very obvious the difference in 30 and 60 FPS. not sure why 30 was being trumpeted by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Normally i'd always go for 60 FPS but this time it does look a little more complicated. There seems to be a lot of extra sharpness and draw distance in the resolution mode so i'll probably try it first and see how it plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'd say the same. 60 is normally a playable minimum for me but the difference between 4K native and performance mode even with youtube compression in the way was striking imho, way too soft in a way that doesn't make sense if it's an 1800p source. I've manually upscaled 1440p to 2160p and it looks better than what we saw on their analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Definitely Play it in prefer performance mode. The shimmer they mention is there but the 60fps is way nicer. You can turn down highlights in the HDR settings which reduces that shimmer.

30fps is jarring. I usually don't really care and will normally play it on whatever looks nicest. But I had to turn of the 30fps it was really off putting.

I'm not worried about shimmer tbh, it's the relative lack of detail and blurriness. With DLSS2 these days upsampling is almost unnoticable to the point I just turn it on even if I'm already getting 90fps+, FSR is not as good but not too far behind but I won't enable it unless required either - what I saw from the DF breakdown looked much worse to me. Anyway I guess I'll get to see for myself in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be "Performance Mode". Hitting that sweet sweet 60 (To paraphrase Teen Titans Go).

For me it will probably be the same. I'm a casual gamer. Couldn't imagine spending thousands on a PC gaming rig. But I did initially think "Hey, 60FPS/30FPS. Pfft. Movies run at 24FPS. That'll do me. Give me GRAPHICS!!!" But after playing a bit of the latest PS5 remaster of Uncharted 4, I can see bugger all difference to my untrained eye. (I have a 49inch 4K and sit back a bit). But I did notice a difference in 30/60 FPS. As I say, even as a casual, older gamer.

Looking forward to this (And I see the Cyberpunk PS5 upgrade is live. By the time I finish Horizon they should have applied at least 2 fixes to this upgrade. I'll wait).

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Once you've played games at 60fps it is very hard to go back to 30fps and not find it very jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just thinking I played the Zero Dawn Complete Edition and being able to play the DLC before the final mission was good. Makes me think I might wait a while on this one until know the story with DLC.

It's the downside of DLC that takes place during the events of the game instead of being post game content, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Seeing few videos went live on YouTube 20 minutes ago. Eurogamer and Playstation Access also streaming now. If you are following PowerPyx on YouTube, they posted a video which spoils one of the new machines in the thumbnail

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any jobs going Grumpy naw? I'm good at reviews, me. Check out some of my top ones below:

Days Gone - "Well class"

Ace Combat - "Shyte in a bag"

Seriously though, post up your review when you have it done. I think Boards has a weird thing of not self promoting which I fully get but it's great to support a local boardsie at the same time. Must be doing something right anyway as Gameranx didn't even get an early copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It can be done but it takes an adjustment period. Going from 120 fps to 30 is nasty.

It also depends on the game. Don't get me wrong 99% of the time I will favour FPS, I primarily game on a good PC hooked up a 240hz monitor and 120hz TV for the couch side. But if the fidelity difference is too extreme and the game type not as impacted then I might favour just fidelity when forced to make the choice. E.g. Spiderman remastered? Performance RT all the way, the flow and speed of that game makes 30fps just horrible and not worth the fidelity improvement. Horizon I 'may' live with it, I'll have to see it in real life tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't want to speak for the other moderators but I don't see any issue with Grumpy posting links to reviews considering they are a regular contributor.

I do however take massive offense to your review of Ace Combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha, i knew that would kick off a notification for you to come bursting into the thread, my plan worked a treat :)

As for this game, I'm definitely gonna check out down the line. I would say wait for sale but can see this being full price for ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An interesting note from John Linneman here about why all 30 FPS modes aren't created equal:

While I personally can never go back to 30 when a 60 option is available, I would say in my experience a lower FPS is much more tolerable in some games than others if an alternate option isn't available. I played through TLOU2, for example, with nary a bother because it felt smooth and responsive even at 30. But bad frame pacing, input lag etc will make a 30 FPS game feel really and truly ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I like the scoring system 😀

At this point though, it is just a hobby and we keep going for the love of talking about games or the sunk cost fallacy I'm not sure which. 13 years ago when we started out there was enough from ads to cover the basic server costs. Now we'll sink hundreds, if not thousands, into it between running costs, but also things like buying the games, new consoles, equipment, plus we all work for free, means it's just a money hole.

But we like doing it, and if you like doing something that you enjoy it then it's money & time well spent. There are worse hobbies to be into. 

I post a few links here, but the output these days is slow. Between life, real jobs, kids etc. It is really hard to find the time to sit down and dedicate the hours you need to put in to get through something this big. Then you also have to find the time to actually write it, edit videos and record audio etc.

It's not helped by wanting to finish games before starting a review, doubly not helped by my unhealthy love was pottering around game worlds I like. 82 hours in Death Stranding just building roads 🤣 and I've already wasted nearly 14 hours in the prologue for Horizon 2!! So don't expect the review any time soon! 🤣

But back on topic, I think the 30fps issue I have is on my side with my TV. The Uncharted remaster looks terrible too. It feels like the TV is missing or trying to insert a fake frame. It gets very stuttery and backgrounds get blurry when turning quickly (which is why you want the extra graphics anyway).

I tried messing with some settings. I feel the TV is at 60fps and doesn't change to accommodate 30 when I change the setting in-game without restarting the game.

Anyway, performance mode looks stunning anyway. So I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hodors Applecart

Guys I’m a bit simple when it comes to the mechanics of these things.

I have a PS5 and a hd tv. What are my options here? I like the sounds of 60bps without having a notion what it means.

Also Smyths had better be open at some stage tomorrow 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FPS refers to frames per second. 30 FPS means 30 frames per second, 60 FPS means 60 frames per second. An increase in the number of frames means an increase in responsiveness - so 60 will create a far smoother feeling game than 30.

When you increase to 60 FPS you will likely take a hit to image resolution, however. The 30 FPS mode will mean a cleaner, more detailed image. Some people prefer that, although as you'll see from this thread most prefer higher frame ratew.

In practice, you usually have the option between a 'resolution' and 'performance' mode in in-game options. Performance will give you smoother frame rates, resolution will give you a sharper image.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What's model TV do you have? I'd say your best going with performance mode though.

• Advertisement

If your TV is standard HD it's even more of a no brainer to go with the performance mode, as the benefit of the resolution mode would only be seen on a 4K TV :)

That’s that question answered then.

my wife is out tomorrow night so gonna get the kids away to bed early and really sink my teeth into this. Really looking forward to it. Felt HZD was a masterpiece.

Just after finishing the opening section and the game is absolutely gorgeous, especially on OLED TV. Have the HUD set to dynamic so only really see the compass and the available tool ( bomb, rock etc) which actually looks out of place with a dynamic HUD. Would have thought it would be hidden too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://youtu.be/qVdxbaS1BiY

Digital Foundry comparison between PS4 Pro and PS5.

The pop in is really distracting on the PS4. Glad I'll be playing on PS5.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I’m playing this on PS5 with a 55” 4K 120 Hz OLED.

I find the 30fps resolution mode really jarring, 1800p performance mode all the way. I also found the motion blur nasty looking in either mode, I normally don’t mind it in other games.

It looks great, but there are a few minor visual issues. There’s a bit of pop in when you swing the camera about quickly and the usual physics jank with hair physics, particularly in cut scenes.

So far it’s more of the same but bigger.

Excited to see there is an option for gyro aiming. I played the original around the same time as BOTW and its absence was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

iv noticed some visual issues too and came onto thread to see had anyone noticed it!!also i'm only in tutorial area but the graphics are'nt blowing me away maybe when it opens up it will.

Given this the guts of 3 hours earlier. I know already it’s gonna consume me for weeks to come 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I completely understand the game design reasons around it, but such a shame that in the months between the first and second games, poor Aloy forgot how to whistle...

Advertisement