Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming state pensions for his dead parents for 33 years!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OK folks, thread derailed, didn't take long, they've arrived, good night

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Wow that's mad. I thought you had to be out of work in this state?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So you don't like the truth ,sure stick to copy and paste from citizens advice 👍

If you could get when being on long term unemployment ,like not having a job in the last 10 years , anyone could get it ,

There was a young lady living London that gave an interview where she's been living in London for years but she was able to claim it ,as Irish citizen she felt she was entitled to it ,

But sure how did she think that when she wasn't working here and then have to quit work due to Covid?

• Advertisement

I believe she claim to be working in the gig economy and as an artist ,and because she was entitled to claim pup she did just that ,

Actually I believe she also appeared on joe Duffy explaining it ,

Unfortunately self anointed activists will say no ,no ,no but other than boards that's their experience of pup ,

I know several others who have contract's with governments departments to supply transport received pup despite still being paid during lockdown ,

The system has flaws ,the system has always had flaws ,

If you or I committed massive welfare fraud and got caught ,if you or I said our only income was welfare the courts could only take a maximum of 15% of the welfare payment on a weekly basis ,but the repayments are usually set lower than the maximum 15% from source

So we the taxpayer funds the repayment

The system is very flawed. Nobody should have received pup if already getting paid. It has to be paid back somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Its up to the next of kin to contact the section in the DSP which cuts off the pension to deceased recipients, otherwise no one is any the wiser. When I reported my parent's death the DSP clawed the final payment back immediately from the bank. The next of kin also has to go to the Registrar to get the death certificate on production of the advice from the GP so that the probate process can be arranged. As far as I can recall, the undertaker does not look for the doctor's cert before arranging the funeral. In this case all the payments were taken from the post office in cash and no bank was involved. The DSP should take the money back from the bookie's across the road from the PO, as that where most it it went!

I hope so ,

But if people who haven't worked in the last decade and in receipt of jobs seekers allowence were able to get it anyone could get it ,

I'd reckon in whenever covid is said and done it will come out that there was big numbers scamming it , even though some suggestion was made of debunked conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should need annual verification they are alive, this could be as simple as to send a proof of life pic once a year, even if they are bedridden, ill etc, send in a photo of their face with a copy of the newspaper from that day, cheap and chearful 😁

• Advertisement

I had the rather unpleasant task of having to register my mothers death. She passed away in her early 60s and what I cannot understand is how this could possibly not be picked up by a simple check of PPSN.

When you register a death, the registrar logs the persons full name, address, date of birth and PPSN.

You’d expect that the PPSN would immediately (or within say 30 days) be cancelled / expire, which should automatically extinguish any welfare payments and suspend revenue accounts and so on.

It should also automatically suspend things like the electoral register etc. I had to deal with all of that manually, including a call for duty duty two years after she died ffs!

It could also cancel driving licences, suspend passports etc to prevent ID theft.

It’s hardly rocket science in the modern era - and by modern era I mean since the 1970s!

Then again civil registration services are run by the HSE … so you can expect incompetency of systems. It’s an organisation that couldn’t organise a pi$$ up in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The issue here is that you actually went and registered your mothers death. If you’d never have done that no one would ever have been any the wiser.

It shouldn’t be possible not to though. The whole system of allowing months and months makes no sense. It’s not the 19th century. If someone dies the death should be registered promptly. If there’s an inquest eg someone needs a big medical inquiry , they should be able to log the cause of death as pending medical inquest.

The whole system is way too slow and casual. We saw that too during COVID. Ireland was often producing stats weeks after deaths occurred and it looked like we were having spikes when they were just slow bureaucratic processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Shauna677

At some stage she will have to submit her taxes to Revenue and if it was found she had no I come coming in prior to Covid, she will have some explaining to do. Welfare will catch many of these frauds down the line especially when they come to claim other welfare benefits in the future such as job seekers, disability payments and even the state pensions.

And they will be asked to pay back €10/€15 pw but still have full access to social welfare payments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Shauna677

Does it not go by whatever means they have at that time?

No ,

They can take a maximum 15% from source ,but if they claim they are solely dependant on social welfare payments they take a smaller amount ,they would even get free legal aid ,

Which means you ,Me and everyone else is making the repayment,

This is why I believe a separate CAB should be set up to solely work with the department of social welfare ,so when someone is caught or suspected of welfare fraud can have all their finances investigated and frozen and sized along with property owned here or over seas Along with other assets till the monies have been recovered in full

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

According to lefties this is an isolated case, welfare fraud doesn’t happen.

While true that absolute travesties like this rarely happen, this is just the tip. There’s a lot of ice beneath the surface….

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

I notice in a lot of these cases, the defendant has "Gambling problems".

A nice convenient excuse for stashing the money away somewhere and being 'unable' to pay it back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . It certainly works well for child benefit ! Got a letter in the post on the 16th birthday of all mine and again on their 18th 🙄

This guy obviously didn't register his dad's death just like his dad didn't register his mam's before .

When you think of all the people paying tax and waiting in line for everything and this guy is the very epitome of someone milking , no ,fleecing the system .

They really should have in person checks annually .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

He was getting 700 net per week now, which is equivalent of close to 50k a year for working individual.

For over 30 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was paying minimal rent to local authority, too.

And his father was collecting his wife's pension for 7 years after her death.

I wonder if any of them ever worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder what the penalty is for not registering a death in Ireland? Jail a fine or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone have a sneaky regard for the man? you gotta admire his gall in a way 33 years getting away that cute hoorism at its most extreme

It seems it’s likely covered by the Births and Deaths Registration (Ireland) Act 1863.

“Any person required by this act who shall, within the period specified by this act, fail to give notice of any birth or death to the registrar of the district within which such birth or death shall have occurred shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding 20 shillings”.

That’s £1.00 Sterling in 1863, which works out at €168 now.

You could probably be fined as much as thruppence ha'penny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Gusser09

4 and a half years. Last year suspended. He'll do max two years. If i thought i could rob 500k tomorrow and do 2 years id have a decision to make. You'd buy a house for 300k and live off the dole and money under the mattress.

Advertisement