Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Too bad the timetables are still technically not correct, given GAI are running Saturday plus still 🤣

But in all seriousness, they have unified designs for stop/service change notices as seen in the design guidelines, but have yet to implement them correctly. DB & GAI still have their own style notices which are used (if you're lucky), and usually zip-tied onto the pole or stuck to the glass of the shelter

Was just wondering, is there any infastructural things need to be done around Spencer Dock for the G-spine to get going? Or what will be the plan for when that launches in June (if they can even stick to that launch date that is)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The location of the temporary depot they're leasing is in Finglas. They're drawing up a planning application for modifications.

Whoever wins the W4/W6 contract will be expected to provide their own depot which is what makes this NTA depot more interesting.

Post edited by Peregrine on

What's the point of the depot in Finglas then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭john boye

They'll obviously still require more garage space with upcoming expansions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think the G spine routes will be a part of that depot in Finglas when it's opened. I think I remember heard recently is that one of the G Spine routes that is same as the 40 from Finglas to Liffey Valley. If that assumption is correct; would Dublin Bus become the occupiers of that new depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

But the G spine doesn't even go anywhere near Finglas - it's mostly an entirely southside spine.

The G1 takes over the 40 south of the Liffey effectively, but terminates in Spencer Dock rather than continuing to Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

If there are any geographically close spines to benefit from a Finglas depot, it's the F Spine...

...and anyway the F reeks of the current 83 in its generic terminus locations and proximity to Harristown (and to a lesser extent the current 140 and Broadstone), so I'm more inclined towards anything serving D15 or the E Spine - most of the Blanch routes are rather saturated in empty mileage from and to Phibsboro, Broadstone, and Harristown.

In all honesty, the Dublin city bus network needs another garage in a south-western location to help with the empty mileage to Tallaght - yes, I'm looking at Ringsend and their 27/77A and 49.

So the NTA's temporary depot in Finglas will be an overflow depot for BusConnects. Not quite sure how it will work. I'll try to find out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

The CEO of Dublin Bus said on a internal social network platform. That they didn't win the tender for W4 and W6 routes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Any idea who won it? I would assume Go-Ahead would be well placed with their existing radial routes serving areas to be covered by those two routes?

Haven't a clue devnull, I say it was GAI or maybe national express

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I think it was expected long time ago that commuters will go to GAI, or, hopefully, some to NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What was the rationale in not awarding them to Dublin Bus. They are going to get more routes aren't they rather than having the N4 at Harristown. The winning bidder of the S routes have not been announced yet. Will there be a date announced soon for who won those routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So the winning bidder is the one that has so far failed to deliver those routes on schedule? Apparently we're going to be waiting until June for the services to commence.

Just for your 2nd part of your comment, do you mean the W routes? Afaik the southern orbitals aren't being tendered out - the s6/s8 are both amalgamations of the 17, 75 and 175 anyways so I would imagine go-ahead would continue running them. Unsure who will operate the S2 & S4 however.

You really don't know how tenders work based on your first sentence, do you?

It's not a game of "who we want", it's a game of ticking boxes for the highest amount of pre-specified requirements.

The W6 and W8 were on top of the existing network already - whether by PVR, mileage, hours, whatever - so there was no way they were going to be included in the existing DB and GAI contracts.

That was roughly the plan from the very beginning. Originally the tender was meant to have been resolved 3-4 months ago and the contract signed in November, with services commencing 6 months from contract signing but no later than June. Simple maths indicates that this would have meant no earlier than May anyway, and since the W orbitals were planned for June anyway, your comment is targeting the wrong body in all of this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

From what I have heard the W4 and W6 are expected to launch approx. early summer.

According to Ray Coyne in an internal staff message, which has now been made public on social media, winning the tender would have resulted in a further 80 full time jobs being created and another 20 vehicles being added to the Dublin Bus fleet.

He also spoke of the need to position the business to secure future tender competitions and maintain growth, which may well suggest that he thinks some changes are needed in order to give them better opportunities in the future.

There is still no news on who was the successful bidder.

"another 20 vehicles being added to the Dublin Bus fleet"

What vehicles would these have been I wonder, Extra EV single deckers? I know DB are due to get a bunch anyways for the O route. Afaik there will be no more PAs delivered other than what's already committed for DB.

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Advertisement

More PA's

It wouldn't surprise me if the further 24 PA/PADs that were mentioned by the NTA previously are in fact intended for the W4/W6 operator, as this would match rather well with a PVR of 18 and operational spares. Note that BE's Galway garage received 40 PADs for a PVR of 30.

Ah right, forgot about those 24 extra PA/PADs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be honest it would make more sense for the PAs to stick to routes going through the city centre given their lower emissions I would think, and perhaps cascade/swap other vehicles over to whoever wins the tender to operate the two new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I would say it'll go to Go-Ahead I could be wrong but I can't see any new operator getting a depot and maintenance facilities set up between now and the summer.

Bus eireann could be a possibility, given they have broadstone, but I doubt they even went for the tender tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I highly doubt two CIE companies would compete against each other for a tender would seem daft

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Anyone know the timelines for delivery of the core bus corridors?

Has the Preliminary Business Case gone to government yet and if not do we know when that’s happening?

Do we know roughly what date the applications to An Bord Pleanála will happen assuming the Preliminary Business Case gets the go ahead?

Any week now.

The first one is ready to go when the PBC is approved. ABP didn't like the earlier plan of submitting them in two batches of six a month apart. They'll be submitted individually over a few months starting with Clongriffin now. They also need the Road Traffic and Roads Bill 2021 to be passed before some of them can be submitted (not Clongriffin). Presumably they'll be submitted at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok that’s good to hear.

I think I know the answer to this but I’ll ask anyway, any news on ANPR cameras?

Advertisement