Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I hope there is an investigation but I fear its not going to be straightforward.

Whilst the contracts themselves not worth the paper they are drawn up on legally, I've no doubt she'll twist it to suggest they were agreements signed by the victims to permit her "Act on their behalf" , of course most people with common sense know what was proposed in these contracts was utter nonsense but legalistically, who knows.

The deposits may Technically be refundable as per contracts but as we haven't seen this documents who knows how they were worded and apart from them being gibberish, given people we're easily fooled I'm going to presume the delightful Catriona had lots of T&C's attached and deposits weren't refundable.

Then there are those who won't pursue it as they'll likely face serious questions as to source of funds etc.

I suspect the answers may be found in what appears to be collusion involving a number of colorful and questionable characters and the excellent work done by posters here have certainly raised some serious questions .With the resources the Gardai have, God knows what more is going to surface.

All this said, there's not a chance in hell these folks will see their money, ever again.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

I wonder will she have the neck to turn up for Hockey this week?

You'd wonder how his teammates etc tolerate her.

I'd suspect not just her Teammates but the entire County know about her shenanigans, this most recent Scandal might just be enough for the Club to say enough and Byeeeeeeee 😏

This is an interview Ciara Ruschetzko had last year on KCLR. Go to 37 minutes. I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

she name checks the accountant she is working with in that business...Dave Sheeran I think she said?

Googling David Sheerin accountant tullow brings a guy that went to school in Tullow, is a managing director of a company and is seemingly involved in accounting previously.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidsheerin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I wonder did she actually try to buy the loans from the banks?

I can’t see any references to Chara Legal when I google him. Nothing on his LinkedIn either. I can’t see a David liking or sharing any of the Facebook posts even though in one post there’s a number for a David given.

Nope, the bank that RTÉ investigates approached said they had no dealings with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I wish the RTE reporter door stepped her in a more forceful manner, he should have approached her before she was anywhere near her car, she had an easy escape

Post edited by fryup on

• Advertisement

Seems very strange if thats the case. I mean, how could she not get caught out?!

So at a basic level I'm trying to understand the premice of Catrionas dastardly plan. A plan so cunning, you could put a B in front of it and call it bizzare (Blackadder , so to speak) 😁

Please feel free to correct me, I'm not an expert, just trying to understand this.

It's certain she didn't have any contact or dealings with Start Mortgages, they released a statement to that effect and I'm guessing most if the victims likely had distressed Mortgages with start and I doubt she contacted anyone other than her cohort involved in this debacle.

This aside , whilst commercial Mortgages possibly different , its not a straightforward matter of purchasing a distressed mortgage on a FAMILY home, there's a host of complications and protections involved . Banks or Vulture funds that hold distressed Home mortgage accounts generally and after possibly years of trying to resolve the issues, tend to go for Voluntary surrender, possibly through a mortgage to rent arrangement through an approved housing agency or just total surrender, if that fails, Repossession (At this stage, very hard to turn back the clock)

After which they generally wait and then put property on the market and most likely via public Auction. BidX is well known for auctioning repossed properties.

Whilst I'm not an expert it seems to me it would be quite irregular for a private company (regulated or not) to purchase someone's home and even more irregular if it was proven, that company was intending to sell it back to the distressed home owner . It just appears to be beggars belief . It's also worth pointing out, just because a home is repossessed or indeed sold, doesn't mean any residual debt goes away , so for example if the home was purchased privately by Catriona, any outstanding debt remains the liability/ responsibility of the original mortgage holder (Home owner), so if Catriona intended to then sell back the home to that person they are still possibly saddled with legacy debt which is actually registered against the property normally by way of judgement mortgage. Its highly unlikely Catriona intended to purchase these properties at full value, if she intended to purchase at all. As I type this, its becoming even more obvious how Ludicrous this scheme was .

So in essence the bizzare scheme would never have worked and this before the actual victims finding the money to actually buy back their now former homes from Catriona 😳

Commercial, Buy to let mortgages slightly different and in some cases a liquidation process is required. The most perplexing case was the post office that was sold by auction. It simply beggars belief what happened here. The Son appears to have purchased the property in 2018 (if I'm correct) within a relatively short time it was then sold from under him to a Neighbour, that is just not how it happens, we're not getting the full story here. Why in the first place did he need to purchase it 🤔 were is the money gone that was presumably given to the parents when he purchased it 🤔 , seriously, how is it remotely possible the son wasn't aware the property was being sold, its simply unbelievable he just stumbled across this by way of a call from a neighbour and then seeing it on an auction site. How were the parents still living in a property sold from under them 🤔 ( albeit I suspect this was a commercial mortgage issue). My suspicion on this case is he was trying to pull a stroke but didn't factor in the neighbours chequebook. It's not commonly known but in very rural locations, Neighbours generally don't bid on another neighbours repossed property.

So, sorry for the long post but the whole story from start to finish is just bizzare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh and don't forget the Whatsapp group that was created for the victims. Again that was a weird one. How did they know who to invite into the group and that kind of thing?There is definitely more to it than meets the eye with some of the mortgage holders. Also I wouldn't be shocked if they had inside knowledge from the actual Mortgage provider of who was in distress and who to target. It seems too convenient that the window fitter was walking through the courts and pointing people out to Carey. No way.

I'd be interested to hear from people who Carey approached and didn't take up her offer. Are there many of them for example?

Again repossessing residential homes isn't easy. As long as payments are being made in line with the borrowers financial means judges just won't grant repossession. It's telling that most of the victims are still in their homes years after falling into arrears and years after dealing with Carey. Before you'd feel sorry for them you'd have to know if there intention was to try and abdicate from the original debt even though they knew if they played ball with Start or whoever that they wouldn't be evicted.

Are some of the Victims perhaps in on the fraud.

I'd forgotten about the WhatsApp thing, I believe one of the victims recieved a message in error from Carey but open to correction 😉 but even when I was set up and over 15 months into this scam, some of them believing Carey and left the group 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Start Mortgages are probably a subprime lender. The reason you are with them is because you couldnt get a mortgage from the main building societies or banks. If you are talking to a subprime lender, you are probably paying double the interest rate and there is a very good chance you will lose your house. Like its never been heard of before for a company or financial institution to sell information to a Third party.

All lenders were subprime during the boom years I'd argue. Individual employees have gone rogue before and provided info on people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

You can get a loan easily from the Credit Union but not cheaply. Was looking for Mortgage from them not so long back and they were nearly twice the rate of BoI and that says something.

Originally they were a Subprime lender but not in recent times. I'm actually with them after my mortgage was sold (along with 12k other mortgages) to them by PTSB . I retain all terms and conditions applicable to PTSB terms , much to Start Mortgages angst .

The vast majority of mortgage loans they own are not subprime but infact mortgages purchased from other banks. Thankfully my own remaining mortgage small 😏

Start no longer do new mortgage lending .

I was more thinking was there any personal loans given towards the deposits these people threw away, given one of the Alledged characters possibly involved in this is a director of a credit union in Firhouse.

I'd say pigs would fly before any of the people caught up in this would get a new mortgage loan from anywhere, especially a credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PiggywiggyO

True, I got caught for €4000 in a stocks and options scam. The one thing that people need to do, is to check wheatear or not the company is registered. If not, run a mile.

These scammers will not look at you sideways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 PiggywiggyO

If Catriona's company is in England and Germany then the Gardaí may have difficulty in apprehending her. People like her have their bolts holes well worked out. Of course I Hope I'm wrong but there it is.

Yeh and how do the victims prove the cash transactions actually took place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She did issue a statement to primetime that all monies would be paid back to her clients and money was available for that.... but due to legal matters that's on hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They'll have emails and texts acknowledging that much at least I would say. It's such a strange story I'll be fascinated to see what happens from here. Probably not much unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

She didn't say they would be paid back just to be clear. She said they had been advised not to return the monies at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Shes good at excuses...... she'll be sending them text messages every week with a different excuse for the delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

The acknowledgement from her that money is owed/received money... while she may never pay it back...is a admission of her responsibility

• Advertisement

Correct and of course the money will never, ever, ever be returned, she's already emptied her bank accounts.

Advertisement