Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This is a prime example of cause and effect that the Irish public ignore. The thought of house repossession being easy or evictions for non payment of rent is against so many peoples' views. It has a cost which is higher mortgages and rent but the irish people want those to reduce. Everything has a cost and eventually you have to say it isn't worth it or just accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We are a remarkably immature people in many ways

It is kind of ingrained in us in school to have PTSD from history we never lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The cost of building houses now has jumped beyond reason.

If you buy a site and build a house, you will be in negative equity straight away. This means, a house builder or contractor that were building these homes in the boom when the need was there are no longer doing it as there's simply no room to do so.

Why is this? Mainly down to the cost of materials and the also in no small part to the low energy requirements now.

Insulation, heat recovery, underfloor heating, air tightness and heatpumps all come at a cost that were not in older homes, even in the boom

Now it has nothing to do with banks. If they offered 0 interest mortgages the price is too high. No point giving me a 0 interest loan on a 100,000 euro merc. I still can't afford it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

"What exactly do you want to be done?"

To repeat myself again:

I really don't know how it ends. People and families are getting poorer. Inflation is making things progressively worse. Young workers are simply not able to buy or rent homes.

It's a discussion. It's a dire situation and getting worse. How bad can it get? How does it end?

"I don't know what can be done" is the most relevant thing you've posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Ray,

Thats if you can get a "top up" mortgage, which i doubt we can. We are already paying as much as we can. Something to speak with the bank about i suppose, if the heating bills are much lower in the winter than i can see it saving us quite a bit over time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes I do.

I thought you were on about a mortgage for 10 years.

You think paying over half a normal wage for 30 fcuking whole years to live in a cheaply built brick box is "affordable"? you are out of your mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

How is it not affordable?

Do you expect housing to be free?

Not free. Just not as expensive as it is at the moment. What made you think I expected it to be free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don’t work… get handed it

wealthy… can afford it

middle class, working, contributing, trying… you get SFA, lots lost medical cards, not entitled to housing, you pay for everything including for the hand outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

don't get me started 😆

so because you go to college and work your way up to earn good money you get screwed for tax while , sit on you're hole and have kids and get given everything , madness

i know of loads of scrotes , using the system and living the life , getting 1500 a month hap and paying €130 a month out of her own pocket to have the apartment and her kids dad lives with her and both working full time having the time of their lives

us smucks get bent over and no lube is even used , straight up fisted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

If I had my own house I would only be able to afford gutter accomodation like what the immigrants live in. Something like what the poor urban Irish lived in during the 1950s.

You only can get half decent accomodation if you have a partner to share the costs with. This is why it is the best option for an incel loner like me to live with parents. Even if I do end up homeless living in my car when I am older at least I had a comfortable life for a few decades. I questioned my sister about this once and she said I could live in her garage if I was homeless. I think that would be the end of the line at that stage. I said to her that I plan to eat myself to death when I get to my 50s. I am 250lbs at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

yeah if they are claiming the hap as a single person but has her boyfriend living with her

If they are doing that you can report them. Welfare and Revenue have online forms which you can use anonymously.

• Advertisement

It doesn't end that is what I have tried to explain to you. This is normal evolution of a housing market that is interfered with by the government polices which the public want. You say you don't care about state housing but are complaining about what is given out so you do actually care. You think the system is unfair.

Prove families are getting poorer. I have tried to show you that standards are very different now so in real terms families are a lot better off than they were before. To correct you it is only some young workers that aren't able to buy or rent. A common trap for people to think the rest of the world is just like them. There are young workers renting and buying they just earn more than you. Houses are being sold and bought all the time. The lack of rentals is the lack of new rentals people are still renting.

A dire situation for who exactly? Any ideas on how many people we are talking about? Do you think maybe the majority are not having much trouble.

It doesn't end the changes keep moving. How do young workers live in London or Paris? They simply don't they rent and buy further out from the city. These cities still have minimum wage employees servicing the hospitality and retail sections. What do you think happened? Now they do have more social hosuing there because of WW2 destruction but England sold most of it off in the 80s.

People will stay with their parents for longer, commute longer and rent until they inherit a portion of their parents home or entirely. Those who had parents who never owned will likely be poorer educated and renting for the rest of their lives. As I said there is a massive amount of housing stock going to be released soon as the generation that bought during the housing construction boom die.

Very simply there are people my age who missed the boat to buy and they cannot get a mortgage as they are too old unless they get a large deposit. Some will get it from family and others will never get it. Home ownship in Ireland had to change as we became more like other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• The employment rate of lone parents (aged 15-64) whose youngest child was aged 0 to 5 years was 53.2% (down a significant 6.8% from 2019) in Q2 2020. This figure rises to 65.6% (down 1.9%) where the youngest child was aged 6 to 11 and falls back to 62.1% (down 8.8%) where the youngest child was aged 12 to 17. One possible explanation for this is that the increased cost of older children is making employment a necessity for more parents.
    • 5.6% of lone parents were classified as unemployed in Q2 2020 (down 0.7% from 2019) compared to 2.4% (down 0.8%) of adult members of couples with children classified as long-term unemployed in the same period. A noticeable change from 2019 is the unemployment rate for lone parents with 3 or more children, which saw a large drop from 10.9% to 2.9%. This means that where before, lone parents with three or more children were twice as likely as those with one or two to be unemployed, they are now half as likely to be.
    • https://onefamily.ie/media-policy/facts-figures/#:~:text=In%20Q2%202020%2C%20the%20employment,members%20of%20couples%20without%20children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

A random interweb link, is that the best card in your hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I think the op was saying that many a working couple can afford a mortgage on a relatively crappy 60yr old house...paying ? 1200 ? a month for the next 30 years. Wheras a family on welfare or a suitable low income can basically get a state of the art new house for free..for life. So there is no equality there.

A friend has a one bed council house for something like 25 euros a week, another friend is renting a small room in a share for 125 a week.

Another guy is on RA and is only paying 25 a week towards his rent which is coming from his 200 a week dole.

The cost of sites and building houses needs to be brought down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Reduce capital gains tax on development property. The numb skulls tried taxing iand tht not developed, but there is alot more there that could be sold but the capital gains tax is too high

Remove VAT from labour and building materials on projects over a certain amount of units in areas of the country with a particularly accute need

Ultimately, an increase in supply will reduce the price of homes.

• Advertisement

How long have you been banging that drum? It's going badly out of tune.

I'd say theres a few holes in it at this stage.

Dont think there's loads of people who bought during the boom going to die any time soon. Just as well because I don't wish death on anyone

You don't think people in their 80s are going to die within the next 10 years?

You wanted to know if it ends. You get an answer and you don't counter it you just dismiss it. You don't want an answer you just want to complain. Ignore what happens when people die and you still have your answer. People just won't be able to afford property and will move further out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

YHes we have gone mad.. we bailed out the banks and the developer friends... we let the trioke manage our affairs as we didn't know how to... As soon as they left we went back to our old ways... pretty much same politicians or other family members... pretty much same developers... add to that vulture/cuckoo funds buying up available housing that comes on the market and all of that takes to where we at...

we keep doing the same tihing and expect a different result... i blame us for not taking to the streets a few years ago over the housing being bought up... they did it in Donegal and it worked...

Its really sad for young people.... i wonder will they get fed up and leave...

The discussion is about the housing crisis we're entering. A genuine housing crisis. This is not the same as the last few years so you can pack your favourite drum away. Good god the neighbours must be tired of it.

You've come to so many assumptions from my posts that are wrong. You think this discussion is 'complaining'. If you're going on like that you can't seriously expect people to engage with you.

If you are aware of someone committing social welfare fraud, why don't you report it?

You haven't countered any points so aren't open to discussion. What exactly is this drum I am beating? You would swear we have been talking about this for years to each other. Tell me what I have assumed if you have an issue. Do you want to discuss or just reject views outright.

You wanted to know what will happen and you can tell me why what I am saying is not going to happen. You seem to suggest you don't have any idea what will happen so seems to be just complaining.

Where do you think they will go? Europe has a housing crisis as does many popular North American places people tend to go. Australia also has a housing problem.

done it , friends have done it

they are still in the house , been reported over 4 times and it seems fook all done

• Advertisement

They might but they were already well in their 60s during the boom. I doubt they bought that many houses

They don't represent a huge part of the population either

Well perhaps you are mistaken in your beliefs then.........

I think you are misunderstanding the boom I am talking about. THe housing building boom of the 60s-70s not the celtic tiger. How old do you think people are who bought house back then?

Yea ok those would be fairly old. Their children get the house & they don't always sell. Often they just leave them empty for sentimental reasons or use it as a holiday home.

How do you know nothing has changed? Do you know what payments they are getting or if they are paying back a debt. I know a guy caught and he claimed nothing happened, reality was his payments were reduced as he had a debt slowly been taken away. When he got a job he had to pay back at a much higher rate

The bailout saved everyone with a mortgage, as well as guaranteeing savings. Even Anglo had lots of small depositors. If the Bondholders had been Burnt, a lot of people would have been worse off.

The new regime, which is really going back to the pre Tiger regime, should ensure that nobody will finish up in Negative Equity again. The last thing we need is tens of thousands of loans being defaulted again, so lending rules have to be strict. The only danger now is that the Bank of Mum and Dad which funded some first time buyers will not be able to bail them out if they default in the next few years.

In the meantime, the mix is moving more towards renting. One thing I would like to see is renters being given consideration for the amount of rent they pay say over three years with no missed months. Regard that as proof that they will not default on a mortgage loan with similar monthly repayments.

Not many people using houses in Dublin suburbs as holiday homes. They either move in , rent or sell them. Probate takes about 2 years so some are vacant that time due to the rent regulations. Then there is the period people go into medical care and leave the property vacant as it is not worth renting due to rent regulation and the fair deal.

Dublin is surrounded by property built during this period and has very low occupancy rates. We don't really have a housing crisis we have an occupancy rate issue. My mother's road has an average of 2 people per house compared to the 5 per household average when families lived there. It is a matter of time before these properties come on to the market. Not wishing people dead but you have to consider reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Advertisement

The occupancy rate fell sharply since the 1960's, just starting to creep up again in the last Census.

Also there were more than 180,000 vacant dwellings, not counting holiday homes. The solution to the "crisis", before looking to build, is higher occupancy and fewer vacants.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-has-10th-highest-rate-of-vacant-homes-in-the-world-study-finds-1.4709476

He thinks it is unfair and I do see his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

EcoEye had a great show on last night at 7pm RTE one probably on the player now in relation to reusing our main highs streets and thoroughfares as family housing. Tens of thousands of former residencies come retail residency come retail come derelict units across the towns and city's of Ireland that should be incentivised to buy and repair for private individual as principle private residential or local authorities to rebuild for lower incoming housing.

This would mean are huge and large stick to beat the usage of these properties from those that sit on them for decades into dereliction. Action is needed on a national strategy on this.

In central Europe towns and cities are covered in residential units as opposed to retail or dereliction.

Yeah it was interesting but there was a fair bit of bias. The house in Cork they were complaining about was actually in use as a car park so would not be classed as derelict like they said. Just saying that as something to note that they casually ignored.

Central Europe has tons of ghost town and you can go to expensive areas in Europe and they have lots of derelict property. When I went to Brussels I was very surprised out home many derelict buildings were about and the same with Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Professional couples cannot buy a house so negative equity cannot happen... I know a couple who both have Masters degrees... both work for one of the leading Multi-Nationals... they cannot buy a house anywhere within striking distance of Galway...

I know one of the families very well... Bank of mum and dad have with a struggle got the masters... i would expect their job done or in any decent society a well educated person 25 years should be able to go it alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A house cannot be a car park so let's settle that for a minute. The house was derelict. Whatever about the property out front. How that got planning for use as a car park is another story.

Bias only in a sense that property owners are flouting the system to extract maximum profit whilst offering absolutely very little to the local communities their properties are in.

Its wrong whatever way you paint it.

These types of units add 4 or 5 short term parking for whomever. But have a falling down and in many cases burnt out building next to them. That's utter madness. Owners have to be penalised. **** or get off the pot simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

I agree. I was questioning the post questioning his post!!

they are my nextdoor neighbours . i'm friends with there landlord who has told me what he gets from hap , he knows the boyfriend lives there etc and he doesn't care once he gets his hap payment every month

the hap is claimed for a single mother and 2 young kids , yet he is living there 100 % and both have jobs and he drives a 202 tesla model 3 and she drives a 192 peugeot 5008 gt line

how is it right that their rent is suplimented by €1500 a month yet others who work and pay taxes get nothing ??

she gets €1500 a month hap and pays €100 a month cash a month to bridge the gap to the €1600 she has agreed with landlord

yet a single person working with no kids and paying tax can't even get a room at this rate , this is why im saying its wrong

You are angry at the wrong person. The property is in use so they can't say it is derelict like the presenter wanted.

Don't think you understand what bias means. It isn't bias for the owners not use the property it is just what they are doing. The show ignore details to make a point that is bias.

Never said it was right or wrong. It could be argued seizing somebody else's property could be seen as wrong.

Why does it have to be a penalty and not encouragement and incentives? Where are the councils going to get the money to buy and do up these properties. Dublin council I believe owns the most derelict housing in the country.

People want to support SF but they sit on all these councils and aren't acting.

I don't like to see derelict building nor vacant property appearing but I am also one of these people. I have a run down garage which could be converted to accommodation. I am not going to do that due to the rent regulations. I keep my chair in it the council have no right to force me to sell it. I have plans for it now but it could have been accommodation. Nothing happens in a vacuum and people don't accept that rent regulations and proposed plans mean less rentals. The idea of punishing somebody because you restrict what they can do or the financial gain to me seems wrong.

Yes the existing rules should be enforced but it is no way a quick nor easy solution. The fair deal for nursing homes causes a lot of vacant property

The landlord can't know why they get HAP. If he is stating he is filling in a form saying she is a single parent report him not the tenant.

you seem to know a lot about their private business....... everyone can have new cars, its called PCP. Again, you know that working people can and do claim HAP right? if they actually have been reported and investigated four times, then sorry but you are wrong in your beliefs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement