Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@XsApollo The US has pushed for fast tracking Ukraine into nato before,

33 years and still not a member of nato nor has the there been formal discussion in NATO about ukraine membership.

Where is the fast tracking exactly ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

How could Taiwan join the UN with a Chinese veto?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"Spent 5 billion last year on defence which was 4% of GDP

125 million dollars of arms imports is 25% of that budget (i.e. Ukraine)"

You maths is a teeny bit off there comrade. 125 mil as a proportion of 5 billion is not 25%, it's 2.5%. Not such an impressive figure now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You don’t think The US has pushed NATO to accept Ukraine as a member ?

It hasn’t happened because it been rejected by France and Germany.

you know how to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

With regard to Russia the breakdown of the Communist/fascist alliance in the 40s, the Communist dictatorship gave that country 30 years of mass murder on a scale the world couldn't imagine.

Putin and his circle have decided to accumulate all capital to themselves like a merger of feudalism and modern market economics, robber barons who have removed any chance of choice or questioning, challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Minorthreat

There has been no formal application for ukraine to Join Nato in 30 years ....

But you think otherwise no surprise.

But yet ukraine is still surrounded by Russia and still no membership for Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've seen analysis that the recent "crisis" was rooted in a US-Ukrainian plan to retake the Donbass in late 2021 or early 2022. By this analysis, hawks in the US and Ukraine considered the recent Azerbaijan usage of Israeli and Turkish drones to destroy Armenian defences as very instructive for how Ukraine could resolve the Donbass issue, potentially intimidating Russia not to intervene as they had failed to do in Armenia's case. The Atlantic Council made this argument in November 2020. When the Biden team took office they refocused on Ukraine, which immediately felt emboldened to take an even more hardline stance. In April 2021, the Ukrainian military announced it would host military exercises with 5 NATO powers in eastern Ukraine in late 2021. The exercises were supposed to include "... defensive actions will be worked out, followed by an offensive in order to restore the state border and territorial integrity of a state that has been subjected to aggression by one of the hostile neighboring countries.

So Russia faced a scenario where 1) Hawkish think tanks in Washington were arguing that recent conflicts had lessons for Ukraine 2) A new US administration was far more hawkish on Ukraine as a whole 3) The Ukrainian military was announcing military exercises in eastern Ukraine aimed at working out scenarios to recover Donbass by military action. Taken a whole, Russia could reasonably think the threat on its western border was increasing.

In response starting in April 2021 Russia redeployed troops as a precaution. The public hysteria in 2021 and 2022 was the Russia was preparing a massive invasion. Wrong both times. It has become clear that despite the hawkish stance, the US will not fight for Donbass or Ukraine if Russia could not be intimidated. The Ukrainians realised they could not act against Donbass without US support. By this analysis, the whole "Russian invasion" scare of 2021-2022 is just a long, drawn out climbdown by the US.

The factions in the US have still made progress: The LNG industry has made some progress in hampering Nordstream 2, the MIC is profiting from increased deployments in eastern Europe and arms sales, the Russophobes have taken a few more steps towards a complete shutdown of relations with Russia and the Biden administration can hope that a compliant media will reinvent this sorry episode as strong and decisive leadership. Ukraine has completely lost with its economy in tatters and its supposed allies demonstrating they wont fight for it. But Ukraine was never a concern for the US anyway.

The writer overall made the point - a good one - that Russia only seeks a relationship with Ukraine that is comparable to the relationship between the US and Canada. Independent but friendly/aligned in their common interests. Better relations between Russia and Ukraine is far more likely to bring peace and development for Ukraine than NATO membership. If anyone thinks that the development of military alliances encourages peace, I highly recommend they study the causes of WW1. Military alliances played a huge role in increasing the chances of war over relatively minor issues.

you do understand I am not defending Russia?

I don’t know why you are saying Ukraine is still surrounded by Russia and no membership for Ukraine.

we all know that?

ukraine is surrounded by Russia , so what do you think should happen now?

Ukraine is left to defend for itself ,

the countries that enable them or encourage them have left them, there will be no western boots on the ground in Ukraine if Russia decides to roll through the rest of the country.

Nothing has changed ,

To think posters were coming on to celebrate heer putin single handedly defeating nato ,

Putin got nothing and his 130,000 + are still surrounding ukraine.

How gullible are people on boards

• Advertisement

America doesn't need to put boots on the ground , America could wipe out most militaries without ever having to put boots on the ground ,

Beginning to sound awfully like a rant about America in Afghanistan ,🧀🐀

He has gotten a few things. US-Ukrainian relations are at their lowest ebb. NATO has confirmed it will not fight for Ukraine. It has been confirmed to the Ukrainians that NATO membership is off the table. All this taken together has to demoralise the anti-Russian factions in Ukraine who have promised much, but delivered little.

He has received some intelligence as to what sanctions the US and EU might apply in future, so can plan to counter them. He's been able to make the discussion about how to solve Russia's concerns about security and NATO expansion.

And for all this he has simply done nothing while watching his enemies make mistake after mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And you pretend to be middle of the road in all of this.

Absolutely gas. No I really mean it. Gas.

America isn’t going to do that tho and neither is any country in Europe? What are you on about America in Afghanistan?

I'm realistic. I was realistic about the chances of the "Russian invasion". I'm realistic about the scenario Ukraine faces too.

Maybe people need to drop the "Reds under the beds/Russian bots" hysteria that greets any contradicting opinion and inform themselves a bit better.

@Sad Professor He has gotten a few things. US-Ukrainian relations are at their lowest ebb. NATO has confirmed it will not fight for Ukraine. It has been confirmed to the Ukrainians that NATO membership is off the table. 

None of that is true .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's a lose lose situation for the west at this point.

If Vlad doesn't invade then the west look foolish. If they do, then there's trouble for them anyways.

Based off vast experience ???

Didn't think so ,

America in Afghanistan it's in every other post you made ,

Maybe you are mistaking me with someone else?

This isn’t a dick waving contest where America has the potential to wipe every military out on this Earth.

my point is America isn’t going to use its power to wipe every military on this planet out or whatever you are saying.

after all the EU and NATO accosting of UKraine , Russia has decided to annex part of the country and is in position to invade the rest, and everybody that has encouraged Ukraine to do so has left them.

• Advertisement

If Vlad doest invade he's being humiliated 130,000 troops and doesn't have the balls to give the order ,

Do you know what that does to a man like Putin,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your not realistic about anything. Throughout your entire diatribe there about hawks and so on. You didn't once address the fact that Ukraine has militants operating within its own borders and is entitled itself to resolve that problem.

Something something West bad... Something something Russia great lads.

Its not even remotely impartial for your chosen topic.

Gas. Absolutely gas. And I've no doubt you believe you're being even handed. Lol

@XsApollo after all the EU and NATO accosting of UKraine , Russia has decided to annex part of the country and is in position to invade the rest, and everybody that has encouraged Ukraine to do so has left them.

Where are you getting that,

It's purely make believe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

First, I'm not one of your "imminent invasion" posters. I'm one of the "Invasion started in 2014" guy's..an its still on going. My friends who got killed there are a testament to that. And I'd be more that happy to see the killing ended, especially the wholesale slaughter that an invasion would bring. Google "Ukraine Ambassador Interview on RTE" and see for yourself what she had to say. Basically, she is saying that when it comes to Russia, action speaks louder than words, and she will believe it when she see's it. She's also saying that the whole basis of Russians build up of troops. that Ukraine being a threat to them, is a complete fabrication .

Who has left ukraine ...

Answers on a postcard boys and girls

Have you been listening the last few day?

the US Uk have removed any military that were in Ukraine, embassy staff and advised citizens to leave.

So nobody have left them bar consular staff .... And 160 national guardsman who were in training roles

That's terrible ,so anything you have claimed today isn't true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement