Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Theee houses are basically construction costs + fixed fees/vat + 30k profit.

that price increase is solely construction cost increases.

If the EU continues along the big government/ low interest rate path don’t expect any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is threatening to put a house back on the market due to unreasonable delays on the buyers side going to get you anywhere? Sale agreed since November 2021 and they still haven’t signed the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From my own experience of going SA as a buyer this sort of delay seems to be pretty standard. It just the rotten-to-the-core way conveyancing in Ireland is done and I have no doubt that the buyer is almost as p!ssed off as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I have to leave the rent groups on facebook. People putting up posts looking for accomodation desperately and it makes me sick as they have no chance. Saw a woman put up a pic with her 5 year old son looking for somewhere to rent. There is literally nowhere. The problem is worse than it's ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Eep this could be me you’re talking about! In my case, Haven are taking an age to process my loan offer, as the house needs some modernisation and they wanted quotes for all of it. I’ve kept the agent up to date. I have all the money in my account ready to go. Please bear with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Comments below from Isabel Schnabel of the ECB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It didn't work for me. It took over a year from agreeing to sell to my solicitor getting the money, that's how long it took the buyer to satisfy the banks and their solicitors. I must say I do regret not putting my property on the market just before Christmas when they pulled out more requirements and delays, but be aware, you need to ask your solicitor to issue the buyers with a completion notice which they have 28 days to asnswer, meaning they either return the contracts and title deeds or hand over the money. Also, if you issue such a notice, you can then demand they pay interest from the time of receiving the notice to paying, if they make the deadline.

if you have signed the contracts, you could put it on the market, but it's meaningless as you can't stop the existing sale process dragging even further, you need to insist your solicitor issues a completion notice to really stop things - or hurry them up. I suspect solicitors don't want you to know too much about the completion notice thing because they just want their cut ASAP. If I knew then, what I know now, I'd definitely have asked my solicitor to issue such a notice as it's far more serious and effective a threat.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'd be threatening at the end of next month maybe. What point in November did you go sale agreed? You're missing 2 weeks of productive time at Christmas at least with solicitors etc being on leave over the holidays so I'd probably cut them a bit of slack. Most sales seem to be taking 3-5 months to clear at present from people I've been speaking to (obviously there are some very smooth 5 week closes but these are the exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How did we get to here?

This is depressing.

Someone buying a house last year for 300k, will now have to spend 345k this year to get the same house. And that's not even taking into account all the previous years of crazy increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

How far can buyers be pushed before the whole thing collapses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

I am just so sick of the whole sorry saga of trying to buy in Dublin at the moment. Expected to have tens of thousands to bid over the asking price for a house that will then need a total refurbishment meaning we are broke for years to come while living with our children in a hovel. It's an absolute pox.

Agree totally. I'm waiting on a loan offer to issue which is being dragged out to a crazy degree. The stress is unreal. Am buying alone and house needs loads of work, so I will also be in debt for years, presuming I don't get rejected at the final hurdle. Have been waiting to buy for 3 years. And I'm one of the lucky ones. I have an eyewatering amount of money saved and gifted to buy a tiny house that needs a huge amount of work.

I'll never forgive FFG. I will genuinely not feel too bad if the value of the house goes down a bit in years to come, if it means other people don't have this massive weight on their shoulders for huge chunks of their adult lives, trying to buy somewhere. I visited friends in Belfast last weekend and the difference in getting a place to live there is night and day.

I'm just trying not to think about how I'm going to pay for all the other stuff and take it one thing at a time. And I'm on a decent enough salary. Best of luck to you optogirl in your search- think we also looked at the same house in Cabra a good while ago! It's mental how you just lose years and years of your life to this struggle :(

I also have no idea how anyone affords to have more than one child these days? Two- absolute max. I'm in my mid 30s and only barely able to afford a place to live now, never mind bring up a family. Surely this is going to cause major issues in the decades to come, as the proportion of elderly to young people swings hugely the other way. The amount of social problems caused by the housing crisis affects every aspect of society and our collective futures.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

It is a pity we can't get mortgages to buy in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....this was the overall plan, modern political and economic ideologies are based on continual asset price inflation, no matter what, in particular related to property!

Good 😊

finally the irish middle class is paying for that ridiculous “needs based” welfare state.

Why should the European taxpayer underwrite further irish government spending follies….?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No its not yo, the person has their house sold already so no mortgage, their solicitor firstly had an issue with an extension that was built a long time ago an now thats been sorted he wants to know the use of the room. Its a structurally sound, planning compliant building so no need for this

I cant recall the exact date but being a cash sale there was an optimistic plan to have the deal done before Christmas but that didnt work and not to upset about that because it was very optimistic. All of the problems are being caused by the buyers solicitor querying the most tiny detail which the EA says he has never seen some of the things pulled up on before. Stuff like theres a room called different things of various documents and hes not happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The divergence between existing property and new property is also noteworthy. Given there is a delay between agreeing a price for a new build and actually transacting it, I expect the new build prices being charged now to come into the index in the second half of the year. Shared equity scheme being launched then will serve to fuel this further.

It's your typical 3 digit post count poster, looking for attention. Ignore.

Many are previous site ban re-regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's simple enough, 2 reasons

1 Central banks flooding the system with cash at the top of the financial system in response to covid

2. The government allowing the benefactor of those funds, investment funds pretty much free reign to compete against ftb"s for scarce resources driving up price. All tax free. No tax and free money competing against citizens all aided and abetted by those voted to represent us

Dublin prices were stable for 18 months prior to covid so the responsibility lies wit Government and the large Central banks

Problem is without central bank activity half of western Europe is technically bankrupt. Not even talking rate hikes, just ending QE will put some states on the brink.

...again, private debt is still our major crux....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It’s not just Ireland seeing these price increases it’s across Europe

Try the world:

"Sydney house prices surge almost $1100 a day, but the market may have peaked" https://www.smh.com.au/property/news/sydney-house-prices-surge-almost-1100-a-day-but-the-market-may-have-peaked-20220125-p59r5p.html

Up 33.1% in a year. The median house price in Sydney is now over €1 million.

Which would immediately suggest that the government is shooting itself, the taxpayer and especially ftb"s by allowing tax free status to these investors

This would help cool demand and provide funds for a supply response. God forbid we ever view it as a potential solution

Proportionality...... They've really overcooked it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Avocados first became fashionable in NYC *because* they typically cost $1 or less (though they may be more expensive now due to universal popularity.)

They were a part of what one sociologist called the "Brooklyn poverty style".

Inflationary and deflationary forces are too abstract for the average person to understand spontaneously, is my conclusion.

"Boomers" in this these discussions usually cite the wrong things, showing they don't understand what is expensive and why, and where savings can realistically be made.

australia has been continually implementing polices that favors, even encourages rising prices, after the 08 crash, the government at the time, implemented a 'first time buyers grant'(sound familiar!), which in turn ratcheted up their property markets, the rest is history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I'm confident even without investment funds, prices would have shot up. As in many other countries.

Advertisement