Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That is what you say it is.^^^^

This is what it actually is.

"Sept 21 (Reuters) - "Critical race theory," a once-obscure academic concept, has become a fixture in the fierce U.S. debate over how to teach children about the country's history and race relations.

Conservatives have invoked the term in schools and statehouses nationwide to denounce curricula and policies they consider too liberal. However, the term is widely misunderstood and misused.

WHAT IS CRITICAL RACE THEORY?

Critical race theory (CRT) is an approach to studying U.S. policies and institutions that is most often taught in law schools. Its foundations date back to the 1970s, when law professors including Harvard Law School’s Derrick Bell began exploring how race and racism have shaped American law and society.

The theory rests on the premise that racial bias - intentional or not - is baked into U.S. laws and institutions. Black Americans, for example, are incarcerated at much higher rates than any other racial group, and the theory invites scrutiny of the criminal justice system's role in that."

So you see, conservatives don't like it because it brings awareness of racists and/or racism, which they like to say doesn't exist anymore.

It's the same reason they cannot relate to BLM. They don't get why black people just don't get a job, while never hiring them because they think they crime all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

As you say yourself it started out as an obscure academic concept and it is still now only a theory by it's very definition.

You are also correct in saying that Blacks are incarcerated at much higher levels than whites it is estimated at a disparity of upto 5:1.

Let's not forget when Black lives didnt matter in the introduction of Bill Clintons 1994 crime Bill supported by our dear politician of topic Joe Biden himself, handing out much harder sentences for crack cocaine over powder in a ratio of sentencing 100:1 for the same drug just different route into the body. This hit black communities much harder where crack was rampant compared to more affluent areas where cocaine powder is more prevelant.

Donald trumps historical First step act sentencing reform passed in 2018 was touted to try and undo some of the damage done by those 100:1 sentencing but alas in 2021 the supreme court voted 9:0 against reducing sentences for past low level crack offenders.

The real systematic racism in America is in Washington itself where race is used as a political weapon for gain and further power and there is one party who has been using this weapon more than the other in recent times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Glad to see you’ve finally got on board with CRT. You’ve actually hit the nail on the head with that post.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Your last paragraph is a very simplistic viewpoint to hold and very indictive of the types this ideology has consumed. Like the fact black people can and are totally against CRT is lost on you as the politics of identity you subscribe no longer allows you to believe that non-white people are individuals and not a political group. . This line of thinking only exits in far left spaces online and is totally out of touch with the real world.

When you think 75 million conservatives wonder why black people just don't get a job , its time to questions your ideals.

Here , imagine he's speaking to you directly...

That worked out a good strategy for boards, eh? People keep saying I’m wrong but I gave you guys the ACLU definition. If I’m wrong then so are they. I’ll leave it at that. The ACLU probably is irrelevant or something I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Maybe Psaki should have a talk with MSNBC about their spreading of misinformation.

I wonder how many Ms Maddow killed with that little nugget.🤔

they/them/theirs

This isn’t the gotcha moment you think it is.

i entirely disagree with the ACLU definition of censorship including private firms.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think America stayed in Afghanistan too long but that 20 year period was the best years that country ever had, infrastructure development, women's education, ending of famine, incredible leaps in health care etc etc.

The Taliban enjoy too much support there.

Generous rating.

Post made even more pathetic with using that picture as if she is caught in the act of doing something.

Garbage.

• Advertisement

You may want to do a little research there. Afghanistan was actually in ok shape before the Soviets attempted to make it a vassal state in the 70s.

Kabul was pretty cosmopolitan, the tribal areas self governed. The Soviets wrecked all that. The pattern was repeated across the third world by the US, Soviets and Chinese. Ideology was never really the problem, unless you call imperialism an ideology.

they/them/theirs

He gets 1 for spelling his post correctly, I know I’m too generous

they/them/theirs

Much of middle and upper class Kabul was cosmopolitan. Kabul outside of that was not. Afghanistan outside of Kabul was deep in the Middle Ages and a dark brutal middle ages at that.

The Taliban were a return to norm for much off the country.

The deobandi rebellion of 1928 which deposed King Aman Khan was in response to his educational reform.

The Taliban might be overthrown, though their little force enjoys no real challenge but those that replace them will still be as retrograde.

If you know all of that why are your saying that the 20 years the US was there was the best in their history. It wasn’t, it was non stop war.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One point I've heard is that under the US-backed government, the lot of life for women was the best ever in Afghanistan's history. A rare example of war improving life for women.

Now, it's back to the medieval age, probably not overnight but the Taliban will gradually take back their hard-earned rights; remember Malala Yousafzai, who was shot by Pakistan Taliban? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malala_Yousafzai . So, a lot to be unhappy about wrt to the US pulling out of Afghanistan, I somehow doubt that what would happen to women post-US support factored into the politics of the pullout.

Bidem approval by state for anyone interested. Not to healthy in those swing states.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can post a link instead of spamming the thread with images.

Interesting that he'd still beat the presumed GOP competitor by 10 points currently and Joe's got a lot of the hard things (Afghanistan, most of a pandemic) out of the way, if the economy takes off, he'll be sitting nice and pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont really know if this belongs here or not, but sher anyway:

yesterday and today RTE have on their homepage about trumps accountants ditching him:

there aint nowt about john durham confirming that he was unlawfully spied upon during his presidency.

and even google 'john durham' news and you will be presented with not much.

the 1st one is

the headline: Court Filing Started a Furor in Right-Wing Outlets, but Their Narrative Is Off Track

i mean, there is no narrative. there is fact and not fact.

They are really healthy numbers and you must love Trump to even pretend that 35% in Delaware is a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

They call me much worse in Mordor (trump thread).

35% in Delaware is shocking for Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Love how all Biden is giving Trump fans to talk about is poll numbers from conservative outlets.

Quite a relief after the sh*tshow of 2016-2020 when there was a new active fiasco on a daily basis. Plenty things to discuss what Biden could be doing better or the challenges he is facing and this is all we get from opponents for the last several days. Says a lot.

He gave a speech on the situation in Ukraine earlier and Conservative commentators are silent or talking about how he should have boycott the Olympics, which he actually did do. That in itself is telling although give it a couple hours and Russia's US Correspondent Tucker Carlson will probably be complaining how NATO should be disbanded and Ukraine just given to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is what Biden is dealing with while Republicans go to the media calling for him to be partisan.

All so they can say biden gets nothing done.

Same bs when they voted against these infrastructure bill and then claimed the credit.

Lying bunch of bästards and yet people gobble it up

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Durham didn't confirm anything, he made allegations. And nothing about unlawful spying. Do you understand the difference between evidence and allegations?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The lack of critical thinking has really been highlighted again over the last few days with this Durham rubbish. It's actually frightening how many people don't even care about actual facts and evidence, merely parroting whatever headlines that they're fed by Fox et al. I suppose it's human nature that some people are more gullible than others but it seems to be getting worse all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The reason there's nothing about Durham in the media outside Fox is because Durham has said absolutely NONE of the things you list above.

Durham "confirmed" nothing of the sort, he hasn't published any report , he has not stated anywhere at anytime that Trump was spied on during his Presidency by Clinton or anybody else.

And yes , what Fox et al are saying is absolutely categorically a "Narrative" , there are no facts - Well , there are a number of unconnected facts that they have stitched together to form a narrative that tells a story that simply doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

No voter cares about senate confirmations for any posts or similar.

absolute no1 issue is inflation. Remember when the liberal media were downplaying it as “some supply chain issues” that “will be gone by end of the year [2021]”. And accordingly Biden did nothing against it. Running record deficits in a booming economy with -4% negative IR is jus moronic.

Advertisement