Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wonder what stopped them doing a second mini pod today... just before they launched into the GAA stuff, Murph says "We'll have another pod out in just a couple of hours...", but no sign of anything. Probably right really, with a proper one tomorrow being more suited to covering the transfer deals and likely at least some mention of the Greenwood story. Was just a bit weird to announce it, and then not follow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anybody got a working link to the free podcast? Seems the one I used to use stopped updating in November.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Guess we've to wait till tomorrow for a football podcast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Ken caught himself earlier talking about the countries and associations bidding for the Euros when he said 'we've 2 on this island' by quickly following up with '2 football associations.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd like Murph and Ken to have gone into in why Murph knew Ken would hate Belfast. And why then Ken actually did hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listened to the main pod from yesterday. The rugby chat was rubbish as always, but I do find it funny that Ken has no interest in any other sport. He didn't know what happened in the England/Scotland game, he didn't know what happened in the Kerry/Dubland game, he wasn't aware that the all Ireland final will now be in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

Enjoyed the FAI chat yesterday, very funny.

Unfortunately I had to turn the rugby one off after 5 mins once I heard "Hoggy". What is it about rugby that turns them into giggling schoolboys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I can't listen to the the rugby pods, find Horgan excrutiatinlgy boring and the nicknames etc gets very tedious. Having said that, I've only a passing interest in the sport so unsure if they had any other contributors on whether I would still skip it or not. But that's unlikely to happen anyways.

Interested to know if any of the more ardent fans enjoy the analysis and chats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I'm only a casual fan of ruby ie 6 Nations etc and can't stand the rugby chat unless they have Gerry Thornley or Matt Williams on. The rest are boring and tedious af.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

I'm a rugby fan but the SC rugby coverage in general is pretty poor. I like Simon as a presenter of it but the contributors are way too samey and overly familiar with each other. They need to stop having on ex-Irish players n the main although it completely depends on the guests and SC have some pretty poor regulars. Love ROG on off the ball, Gerry Thornley is usually worth a listen and I'm always interested in hearing from foreign correspondents too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

So we're about a hundred 'rugby chat is boring' posts away from the end of the 6 Nations.

Gerry Thornley although a bit of a cheerleader is very articulate and enthusiastic and I enjoy listening to him. Matt Williams is great for puncturing the consensus bubble in Irish rugby. I love that some people don't like hearing his opinions also, it makes me want to listen to him even more!

Then again I still miss George Hook the cantankerous old f*rt. I guess I'm a sucker for a bit of self-flagellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Matt is the best around imo. He hasn't been on in a long time though so I wonder has he signed an exclusivity deal with VM. Or maybe the lads didn't like that he wasn't a cheerleader for Irish rugby.

Ken off on his holidays again. Which big football story will break while he's away this time?

Can't add that to my app, anyone got the feed URL?

Scrap the cap!

thanks, that worked!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

Jerry Flannery is a fairly regular contributor now and recently brought a defamation case because of an article Matt wrote, so that could be a reason too as it would be a tad awkward. There must've been a similar incident between Ken Burley and the people of Wales as we haven't heard from him in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken seemed a bit all over the place when he was talking about Zoumas animal cruelty video. He was definitely not thinking cogently.

Because the public eat bacon and someone once killed a fox people aren’t allowed to be appalled by Kurt Zoumas actions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah i agree i love ken and i mostly agree with him (or at least understand where he's coming from) on football matters but this just stunk of being contrarian for the sake of it.

No one eats cats, this is completely different it's a domesticated pet who everyone saw a video of being abused just for laughs by a rich footballer. It's not a pig being slaughtered in a piggery etc and being used for food. Ken on the vegan bandwagon is really starting to wear thin. I thought Eoin even had a little dig at it at one point saying oh that show you did is clearly on your mind.

ps i also thought the Antonio bit was annoying trying to bring it back to racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought Ken made some good points tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I'm trying to remember what happened to Ken's cat Gulliver, I was expecting him to get a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Way I remember Gulliver met a horrible end, swung by his tail into the side of Ken’s house by an unknown culprit who has probably moved on to serial killing since

thought it was lazy shite from him and the lads shouldve called him on it

What should they have said? What’s the argument against Ken’s argument?

Ken's pure hate for Declan Rice is gas.

• Advertisement

The argument is we're talking about a pet cat that was filmed being kicked and punched by a rich footballer which crucially has been seen online by most people. The footballers brother also posted this online clearly thinking it would be seen as funny or something who knows but it paints it in an even worse light IMO as god knows what else has been done.

To compare it to a faceless pig in a piggery or cow in a slaughterhouse (which no one has actually seen being killed) is misleading to my mind so the comparison doesn't really stand up. Out of sight out of mind.

Like it or not people look at pets differently than they do farm animals particularly ones we tend to eat. I get being against eating animals full stop and that's fine but for ken to be this "confused" over why people are triggered over this just doesn't ring true to me.

That’s fair. I think Ken’s viewpoint is also fair. I think Michal Antonio’s is also fair.

I think it’s fair to say there’s a hypocrisy at play in how we view animals.

it’s a hard thing to get one’s head around.

are u kens mum?

hectoring ppl in a thread for discussing a podcast is such a weird instinct

Ken's viewpoint was patently cynically manufactured insincere posturing.

he didnt believe it himself and his delivery, his handwaving, his trailing off equivocation made that clear to anyone used to hearing him do this half hearted troll routine he pulls out every now and again

i dont object to the argument i object to a lazy version of it from someone who both thinks he's too smart to believe it while also believing hes fabulously clever to bring it in and wave it around and congratulate himself for winding everyone up

contrarian ken who believes what hes saying is the best thing about the show. contrarian ken who doesnt is the worst

Not a big fan of Ken really. Just don’t see an easy argument against what he said so invited anyone to put one forward which another poster has.

that’s surely ok?

I think that’s fair in terms of Ken’s delivery. I thought Ken was overly dismissive of Antonio’s viewpoint. I think Ken’s basic point was valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I don't think Ken was taking himself particularly seriously so it's probably not wise to put much store in what he said.

Cannot warm to that "Branno" fella at all.

this is, tbh, the objection.

ken decides to troll his own show for forty minutes.

mcdevitt needs to sit on him good and hard when he decides to show his contempt for a given topic.

i attended a live show a few years back and ken as well not to have been there, horizontal on a couch drinking a pint for the whole thing.

the boy's good but let's not take the piss

Really enjoyed today's episode. Have to feel a bit for those Russian ice skaters, it's like something out of Black Swan.

Also, does anyone know what TH means? The Second Captains logo thing has changed on Podcast Republic

Something must have happened their feed. It dropped off my podcast republic subscriptions yesterday and I had to re-add the RSS feed today. Since then it shows as TH rather than the SC artwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Glitch I'd say. Probably just picking up Th out of The Second Captains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Try reloading your artwork? I use pocket casts and there's an option in appearance. Sometimes a podcast will end up with weird or no artwork and this usually fixes it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That time he asked Wilson (or whoever) if he brought little white mice to give him when he interviewed him recently was outstanding.

Declan Ricesssss

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken ranting about Phil Mickelson was brilliant, the soccer pods can be a bit boring, I nearly prefer listening to Ken talk about any other sport.

good shows yesterday across the two released tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I would have no issue with Ken doing a daily separate “Report on War” podcast

Same here i enjoyed the last few chats on it. Really is so grim

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I woke up this morning hearing that line from Putin and it continued on during the day across a number of news stations. It took a sports podcast to frame it in the paragraph it was taken from. The fairly chilling warning from Putin sounded whacky, bizarre and chilling when Ken put it in its context.

Good work by Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ken commenting on the Steph curry video was comedy gold!!

I get an illicit thrill every time I hear Ken swear. I'd imagine he swears like a particularly foul mouthed sailor off mic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement