Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

A couple of questions.

1. Are they recently qualified and don't have a deposit saved up?
    2. Define striking distance?
    3. Are they setting their sights too high? What I mean by that is are they expecting to buy the Taj Mahal beside where they work or do they need to set their sights a little lower. I just looked at myhome.ie and I've seen a good few houses for under €200k within an hours drive of Galway.

The reason I'm asking this is because things aren't so bad that two professional people earning good money can't afford to buy a house somewhere within commuting distance of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I have friends from South America so I'm in a few groups where people are coming on exchanges.

I've seen multiple people say they have cancelled their flight at the last minute as there's no accommodation and they're seeing all the posts from people searching.

I have spoken to people who are so desperate for accommodation they've asked me can they come stay with me and that after their initial 2 weeks that their agency booked accommodation runs out. Other people are living in hotels for months now! Others have said they are fearful they'll end up on the streets in a few days.

I saw another post in a rent group, woman posting a selfie with their 5 year old child looking for a room. My heart sank as they have no chance. There's literally nowhere to house all the people currently in the cities.

And by the way, Lynn Ruane can go fcuk herself! "housing is more than a location, it's a support network"....if you need a support network then you shouldn't have kids! And if you can't look after your kids then they should be taken off you. Angers me that councils buy brand new houses and house social housing tenants. Why do they deserve to be handed a brand new house in a prime city location?

Give them a house, but give them a second hand one where it's in as high demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

1. I take it these people coming over have visas and are going to work in low paying jobs?
    2. Would you prefer we return to Magdeline Laundries again instead of homing people?

There is plenty of housing to house people in the cities the occupancy rate is very low. There is no will to do it because it would mean encouraging OAPs to downsize. Even when it was suggested people went crazy suggesting it was a bedroom tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

So you think its ok i don't agree... its none of my business but living in Claremorris Ennis or Athlone and working in Galway not accecptable for me...

Out of interest how long does your commute take...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It would be much better for society if we encouraged principal private residence use rather than more. (than we already do) incentise property as a business tbh. So no I disagree with the notion that we should continue to fund developers to own en masse and wait for loop holes or incentives to appear for them to make a quick buck. It's an arseways system that encourages mis-use or no use at all of valued land inside zones where residential use should be the primary function.

No idea why SF were raised as I don't think they were part of the program nor I a member or voter.

In terms of funding as I said we need a national strategy and we need to borrow on the markets at negative or zero rates as a country to encourage uptake to revitalise main streets high streets and through a fares nationwide.

Enough giving money to individuals sitting on multiple properties we've done that already for a long long long time. It hasn't and doesn't work. And yes Dublin City Council should be penalised and or bypassed too.

Big stick and big rock approach across the board. This is a housing crisis its simply not going to be solved by single theme thinking. And at the moment build to rent is that single thinking. It's ridiculous

What salaries are these people on. Qualification and saying a good job doesn't mean much. If they are well paid then they can afford in Galway if not then they aren't well paid. That is why people find what you are saying difficult to believe.

You think its ok i do not... she is a senior engineer in the biggest Boston so i expect she well paid... so we are living in a Country who only people with rich parents can expect to own a home... God help us...

Is the goal to get this done quickly and cheaply? If so then incentives are the way. If you want to make a point and punish people your way is the one to go for it to be expensive and slow.

I think you have a moral view that doesn't really want a solution other than you seize property off people you think are undeserving.

An elderly relative has a run down house, she doesn't want to sell it nor have the money to do it up. If she did it up and then left it to a family member they pay inheritance tax of the higher value of the house. So the house lays idle. You think that property should be taken off an elderly women. See you think these properties are owned by businesses trying to make a profit by hording land and that is not always the case or even the majority.

The stick or the carrot and you want the stick but there are so many legal hurdles it won't really happen.

Not what I said at all. I am just pointing out your claims don't match up with reality. How much are they wanting to spend on a property? You state good wage and can't afford anything doesn't cut it. How much are they earning and what can they not afford. Never mentioned rich parents so I don't know where that came from. I know people without rich parents who bought property. A friend recently bought a house in Dublin 3 and she is single and works as a career in the HSE. Not big money and her parents didn't give her money.

Yes I do think the house should be taken off her if it's not principal private residence and she be given a fair price for it.

On no planet can we have people sitting on such assets during a housing crisis.

Why the fact she's elderly matters is beyond me. She will get paid for the property in its current form. Why should the state have to fund her business if she can't fund it herself.

Another property destined for falling down or burning out is what you are promoting there

Also I might add the notion I have some moral view and want to just punish people is laughable. These people are offering nothing in a crisis other than to further the deterioration of main streets across the country. There's a block of 5 buildings for example in arklow there I drove by recently and building one and two are now burnt out with roof caved in. Having sat empty for ten years. Now the buildings next door are staring to fall over.

That's a ridiculous thing to allow to occur, we don't owe you a living as tax payers we owe the public living and workalabe towns and cities.

If you can make that building work and it's offers you a return then more power to you. If you can't or won't then get fair money for it where it can be put to good use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So you are for the state forcing CPOs on people with multiple properties?

She is in a nursing home which she pays for. If she let the state pay for it she have to give a large amount of it to the government. THe government are going to take her parents home from her and you have no issue with that? Well that is why legislation will not be approved because many people care about their elderly relatives and don't like pay tax and normal family assets.

I never suggested letting it fall down I am pointing out how current policy and legislation hampers development and having homes to rent. You want to double down to also pushing people due to the current policies. If you can't see why that is an issue then you have blinkers on.

I understand what you are saying and agree with the principle but I am pointing out that somebody has to pay and I don't think that should be private citizens who paid there way through life. You can disagree but do you understand?

The government made it so people in nursing homes don't rent their property. That seems an easier fix than hunting the property down to seize it would you not agree?

What would you consider an acceptable commute?

From 2015 until 2021 I commuted from South Leinster to Dublin. Almost 1.5 hours each way. Yep, it was tough, not going to deny that. I changed jobs about 5 months ago and now commute approx. 45 minutes each way. I would consider 45 minutes an easy enough commute.

My point is that a very quick search on myhome.ie showed that there are houses within what most people would consider an acceptable commuting distance to Galway and at an affordable price (for two people with good jobs), so it's incorrect to say they can't buy a house. What is more accurate is that they can't buy a house their dream house in their preferred location and for a price that suits them.

Claremorris to Galway is approx. 60km. Not much difference to my commute. But like you said, you don't think that's acceptable. That's your choice.

I did not go into detail as not my business but my understanding is any reasonable property... was it recently your friend bought in D3 as there may be better value in Dublin than i thought... this conversation took place a few months ago and i will not revisit as be interfering..

For the record, I bought my house with no help from my parents. Not because they didn't want to help, but because they didn't have the money to help.

I'll be honest here. It's difficult enough on the median wage (around €40k) for one person to buy a house. Buying a house is a two-income job for many people. But if both people are in steady employment and have average jobs, there should be no need to go to the bank of Mummy and Daddy to get help to buy a house unless they want a flash house in a desirable location.

We'd all like to have a mansion beside where we work and not have to commute, but this is the real world and people are going to have to 'cut their cloth according to their measure'.

I am not sure what be acceptable as each person different... commuting was never an issue for me as company wheels so basically working from home. I never had a problem getting up at 5am when i needed to... I am relaying what i was told and these people are "feet on the ground people" or at least i think they are...

I have a thing about the way the housing thing is but i suppose we live in a world where nobody cares about anyone but me....

Why is living in Claremorris, Ennis or Athlone unacceptable to you if you don't mind the commute?

And less of the 'nobody cares about anyone but me' sh1te.

You are talking for you as that's all you care about... i feel sorry for people who it seems will never own their own home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

So a call for more muted and sustainable growth equals communism in your book?

It must be nice to only see black and white in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

maybe they havnt been investigated thats my point

jesus you are dumb

Maybe you are dumb.

Why would you think she hasn't been investigated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Until the late 90s Ireland had very low levels of immigration, but that changed quite dramatically, with very little or no planning.

With no strategy for scaling up housing, large scale building of new schools and hospitals, a lot of the social problems now are unsurprising.

I think it’s very hard to see how a stable housing market can be achieved given the many much larger countries that you can easily come here from. I’d love to think it was possible, but I don’t really think it is. The way things are now the market is bound to be boom/bust.

More social housing, doing up empty buildings, sure these things help, but the only real solution is to limit immigration to a number a small country can manage. Of course that seems to be impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Per CSO, median household income in Galway city is €44,492

Median price of a home in Galway city is €322,543

Now that median income is skewed lower by households on social welfare/old age pension, so being very conservative here I will almost double it to 80k.

How is a family on 80k supposed to afford an average home price of 322k? 3.5 income means they can only borrow up to 280k on a mortgage.

So what do you propose? Everyone working in Galway city should just commute from Athenry? How can you not see how messed up that is?

When I said recently that is what I meant within the last year. You are making it your business by discussing it publicly. Again you are giving no details so you have no idea about the values and what they think reasonable is.

Why do you tell us what you deem reasonable if you can't discuss their situation and then at least we will know what you are talking about. For all you know they expact a massive house in Galway city for 200k

No, I'm not proposing that everyone working in Galway city should just commute from Athenry by any means. But those who cannot afford the house of their choosing in Galway city should then consider Athenry and other cheaper places outside of the very expensive city. It's what an awful lot of people do.

How does a family on €80k afford a €322k house? Well they can get €280k in a mortgage. Then between the deposit and an extra top up, they need savings of €42k. That's doable.

Look, I'm not saying it's easy to get on the housing ladder, but if there are cheaper houses outside of the city and within commuting distance, then I think this has to be considered, which a lot of people aren't willing to do.

If you can't afford the house that you want in the location that you want, then you have little choice but to take a lesser option and work from there.

You say it's messed up. It has always been this way. I'm sure people years ago would have loved to live in Aylesbury/Shrewsbury Road in Dublin but couldn't afford it and had to buy in Crumlin etc. It's not possible to have everyone live in the home of their dreams a few minutes from work.

• Advertisement

Having to choose between different areas in Dublin is not at all comparable to choosing between Galway or Athenry.

It is not sustainable for the state for all the people who work in the city to have to live outside of it. It will in time totally erode the core of our cities. Not to mention the traffic issues this kind of short-sightedness will cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The population of Galway City has increased and is still increasing.

According to Google, Athenry to Galway is only 25km. You are saying that is not acceptable? Plenty of areas in Dublin are 25km from other parts of Dublin, e.g. Swords to Dun Laoighaire.

I'm not saying commuting is ideal, but what's the alternative if you can't afford a house in Galway city?

Realistically, what would your solution be then? You can't magic up a heap of cheap houses in the city overnight. Where do they come from and who pays for them?

Would you be in favour of the Council putting a CPO on half the city, flattening it and then putting in a heap of high rise skyscraper apartment blocks right in the city centre to accommodate workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Commuting in Galway is fcking purgatory, it is possibly the best example of Ireland's woeful urban planning. That an outer bypass still hasn't been built is incredible. Can imagine anyone living in Athenry would absolutely insist on remote working rather than returning to a Galway city centre office.

You do understand you are comparing median rates to defend an argument that was about a couple on high wages saying they couldn't find an affordable reasonable property in Galway? What you have proved is they should be able to afford it and the person posting the claim was not realistic or more likely just dishonest as they never spoke in real terms of value.

• Advertisement

How many jobs were added compared to the population increase?

As I said before, Galway is not comparable to Dublin. Dublin city is approximately 5 times denser than Galway city. Its apples and oranges, however if you are so adamant about comparing Athenry to other Dublin locations, its more like moving ~100km away from Dublin city, based on population densities.

In 2016, 50% of those working in Galway had to commute from outside it. By time next census results are published it will be worse than that figure. Dublin by comparison is only 30% of that figure.

Where are the extra people in the city living and working?

I think I've covered this in full detail in my two posts but you've managed to distill it down to nonsense hyperbole.

Congrats

I wasn't defending the high earner couple's statement that they couldn't buy a house, I was trying to contradict it by showing that they could easily get a house within commuting distance of Galway. As it happens, the poster who told me that the median house price in Galway city was €322k then gave me the proof I needed that the couple's claims were boll1x.

It's absolutely the worst place to drive around/commute to in Ireland. I acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Sadly we demonstrated in the 2000-2008 bubble that absent the type of rules we have now, people will just use the extra borrowing power to buy the same house, but at a much higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Sinn Fein will not fix housing, not because they don't want to because they can't. It's a very complex problem.

Fianna Fail and/or Fine Gael would have fixed it already if it was just a matter of will.

Athenry is 25km away from Galway city. With traffic, what is it, an hour of a commute?

Not any worse than anybody travelling from Navan, Naas, Carlow, Dundalk etc. into Dublin. The density of Dublin doesn't make any difference to those guys/gals. Still the same distance/time to commute.

My thinking is the reason people don't want to live in Athenry/other commuter towns is that they are sh1t small towns and don't have the entertainment facilities etc. that Galway has. That and losing time every day commuting.

Where in Galway will all this needed accommodation be built? Who will build it and who will pay for it? And how would the current residents feel if the density of their city was increased five fold?

No you didn't. I explained more and asked did you understand the different view. I think the summation is accurate because you never explained why people who own should have to give up their property at their cost when the councils are actually the worst for derelict property.

• Advertisement

On the subject of multiple properties, the 2020 Property Tax stats has some reliable numbers. Out of 1.68 million properties, 559,000 are in the hands of people or bodies paying the tax on more than one property. There are 247,000 people with two properties, and another 151,200 with three, four or five. Page 13.

I wonder is there some way to connect those owners with the vacant dwellings reported in the Census. I think there would be a significant crossover. Then the people could be asked whether they would sell to the State. The State could ask housing charities to allocate these properties to homeless people and provide the backup services, funded by the State. It should be a quicker solution to homelessness, than going through the planning and construction of new builds.

We do know the councils own the most derelict property. So maybe wind your neck back and actually see this as a failure on councils not private owners

247,000 in the hands of people or bodies with just two properties. Those would be the first port of call.

I looked at the site again.

There are around 177,000 individuals and other entities that are designated liable persons for two or more properties (this covers 559,000 properties). Properties owned by Local Authorities and approved housing bodies are excluded from the analysis below

One of the statistics that blows my mind is Daft has only 1,400 properties available for rent. In a country of 5.2 million people that is some imbalance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

Average house price in dublin now over 500,000 euros and rising ....

what could possibly go wrong ..

deja vu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

It will hold wages are there to match it. Council houses are being delivered to those who have no money and the tax payer is footing that bill and paying a mortgage.

Incredible, with average full time wage of mid-to-high €40k's and realistically the more important median full time wage about €38k.

The system no longer makes any sense.

Are you suggesting people shouldn't be allowed to own two houses?

• Advertisement

There is plenty of land in Galway city to build - a better question is where would all the needed accommodation in Athenry be built??

Galway is a city, it has the services and amenities already. Suggesting that everyone just buy in Athenry is madness. And what about the current residents? They would have been very naive if they believed that when they first bought their houses that the city would never change. And again, all these question can be asked of Athenry or Tuam or any other commuter town. Pushing people on well paid jobs out to commuter towns just moves some problems away, and creates even more in the form of chronic traffic.

Advertisement