Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The bottle was snuck into the room by Labour and the liberal media elite.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭swampgas

There seems to be an element of "So what? We can do what we like and you can't stop us" Bullingdon style brazeness to Johnson and Rees-Mogg, which (IMO) ties into the way English society still seems to be stuck in a feudal time warp. The people at the top demonstrate their status by flaunting their ability to do what the rest of us are simply not allowed to. The people at the bottom accept that these are their "betters" and doff their caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Kalyke

People are going to be so disappointed when they find out the real reason why "Dick" is trending this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,204 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Looks like Johnson is in the clear over the parties. The Met will say how many fines they issued and probably won't say who specifically was fined (accessible through freedom of information request which will take weeks or months to be published after all the appropriate delays are applied).

I see Johnson is going to use the defence that he was working at the parties and they want to make it a he said, she said about whether ot not he went back to work after the parties. Muddying the waters like that is perfect cover and easy to slip back into partisan lines.

Then in a couple of weeks say it's all in the past, time to get on with the business of running the country. He's in the clear, in my opinion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not so sure. It's been settling down but all it'll take to bring it back to the forefront is another leak or photo. Despite the Met's best efforts to protect him, he's still in a very precarious position. Even if he survives, the next election isn't far off. He's halfway into his term now and the next election will probably be in 2024. I think he's done either now or very soon. If the party want to plant Sunak or Truss, they need to do it now or at least coordinate the knives.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The bigger issue is lying to Parliament, something which has long been considered to be a resigning matter for any MP, Minister or Prime Minister. But it's not enforceable, so he can just dig his heels in and belt on.

He may certainly survive it, however it's definitely not through innocence, but rather by not doing the decent thing which is expected of him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think many people care about this. Remember, this is a country that is extremely wealthy where foodbank use is rampant:

This is fine. I think his short term future hinges on whether or not there will be further revelations and/or leaks.

Source for image: https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Eventually, Sue Gray will publish the report with loads of photos of the parties. Johnson will claim he was advised he was going to a work meeting and these kind of meetings with snacks and booze, happened all the time in No.10. He'll argue they are just a type of work meeting and maybe, in hindsight, when all is considered and in the cold light of day, maybe he was ill advised to attend the meetings.

As above, he'll argue he was at work meetings with booze and snacks and where people stood around drinking and informally chatted about work. Just another type of meeting. He'll argue he went back to work after the parties. The news has focused on the party after Dominic Cummings left and whether the PM discussed who to hire to replace Cummings at these meetings, thus making it a work meeting. So he'll argue that IF they were parties (and he won't accept that they were parties) then he was ill advised.

Waters are sufficiently muddied now so I think he's in the clear on the parties. They will have done damage to his overall reputation and electability, so the torys might want to put pressure on him to resign later, but he's over the hump on the parties specifically.

Agreed but this is assuming that nothing else appears. The report will trigger some outrage but, at best he wins a minuscule majority in 2023/2024.

I'd say you're right that this will weaken him. I'm assuming he won't lead the party into the next election. I'd say he'll survive this and leave either by choice or or he'll be weakened and forced out by the next scandal. But one ot t'other will happen before the next election.

I'd imagine that if he survives and leaves by choice then the next PM could make it to the end of the parliamentary term. If he's forced out it will probably need a new General election. What do you think?

• Advertisement

Hard to call. If he goes now, his replacement has some time to try and look competent for the next GE. On the other hand, if they can get him to soak up more damage now, it means an easier time for his successor.

I think the watershed will be this year's local elections. Unimportant in and of themselves but a useful barometer nonetheless.

Yes you're probably right. A friend of mine was a Labour Councillor in Newcastle and said it was infuriating thst people voted locally based on how the PM was viewed. He also said some people would complain about really local issues like bin collections when they canvased for general elections. So I suppose it means people often don't really know what they're voting for.

But I suppose losing control of a lot of councils would be big trouble for him.

This would stand to reason. The UK is an intensely centralised country. I was involved with the local Lib Dems and I saw the same thing. Ridiculous but relying on such an archaic system results in such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I can't see how he doesn't get fined, "a work meeting" defence just doesn't cut it regarding what is already known about these events and the rules in place at those times. ignorance of the law is no excuse, especially so when you are the one implementing those laws. It would reflect really badly on The Met if he gets off. Are they really going to take that hit for a lame duck PM?

I think they've moved the conversation on from that. A couple of weeks ago before the sue gray report, if he was fined, he was out. But I think that was then and this is now. By the time we find out if HE was fined, I think it'll have blown over.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

It's all just conjecture, we will have to wait and see, but I don't think he would survive getting fined. I also think the full Sue Gray report being published, in itself, would be enough to trigger a no confidence vote.

Of xourse it's conjecture. I've been careful so say "I think" because that's where we are.

I think the full sur gray report would have sunk him a few weeks ago if it landed all Al once (a knockout blow). But in the meantime i think the conversation has changed. Now the conversation is moving to whether he went back to work after the parties, not whether he attended them at all. I really think the goalposts have moved and the clock is ticking on.

What could the sue gray report say now that hasn't already been established? He was at parties, there was drink and snacks, there are photographs, witnesses, sue gray can't reveal anything new as he's contending he was going back to work after the parties and that makes it alright. You and I know that's not really the point, but that's what the conversation is becoming. Muddied waters to the point that nothing is really true or false and the whole thing keeps moving on - to the next crisis.

You're obviously right that we'll have to wait and see what actually happens.

"Conjecture" wasn't an attack, all I meant was what I am about to say is...conjecture. What the Sue Gray report will unequivocally show is that Boris Johnson misled parliament when he said “All guidance was followed completely in No 10.”. Normally that would be enough to finish off any Prime Minister, but Johnson isn't a normal Prime Minister. He will try to brazen it out, I think he will fail.

Ah, I know it's not an attack. I acknowledge its conjecture. I'm just giving an opinion based on the evidence we have.

He's going to argue that the parties were actually a kind of work meeting. They were essentially a kind of meeting with snacks and wine. He'll claim he didn't mislead the house on purpose. He'll say he was ill advised. He won't quit because he misled the house because he'll agrue he didt mislead the house. I'd bet the farm on that point.

Whether the MPs force a conference vote and oust him, I'm much less confident but I doubt either will happen.

I know it was a different party but the snacks and wine excuse went out the window as soon as the "suitcase full of booze" came in the door. The "work meeting" excuse has been so ridiculed at this stage he would be mad to bring it up.

• Advertisement

Well, that's what he's going to do. According to the reports doing the rounds today. That story is out for a couple of weeks now. These things don't really accumulate as i wpudl hope. Its like they're being poured into a leaky bucket and the way all the revelations are spaced out allows the bucket to never fill. If it all came at once at the beginning, the bucket would have overflowed and Johnson would have resigned. But the time its dragging on means the bucket is emptying and hasn't overflowed yet anyway. The suitcase story is old news now. Don't rely on it to count against Johnson as much as it did when the story broke originally.

Playing devil's advocate: Why does the method of transporting the booze make any difference? A suitcase full of booze is a funny image, but what's humour got to do with it his argument thst it was a work meeting with booze and snacks?

As an aside, was it a carry on suitcase or a check-in suitcase? Big suitcase, big meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Suitcases of booze seem to be a Tory thing.

I recall the former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne wandering around Dublin with a Gladstone bag full of bottles of champagne in the early 90s.

The guy was sent out mid "work meeting" to get more booze because they had drank all the original meeting refreshments. That is important to what kind of meeting. Also a suitcase rather than bag makes it look like you had something to hide.

The humour matters because those kinda sound bites work. It's like Corbyns "make June the end of May" or Romney's "binder full of women". Catchy stuff is remembered better.

Yeah, a suitcase might be to hide something. Might also be better way to carry booze than in shopping bags. I suppose a wheelbarrow would have done the job as well but I don't suppose wheelbarrows are as plentiful as suitcases in No.10.

If we're relying on humour, then Johnson will probably come out a few points up in the polls. That's his brand. I really think the suitcase has lost its impact already. What else is there to say about it? Everyone already knows about it. You can't take the knickers off a bare arse.

I really just think you will say anything to play it down as if convincing a few lads on Boards that this isn't a big deal is gonna help sort this mess.

Your not the first to try.

OK. You've got me all wrong. I'd dont think id ever get tired slapping Boris Johnson. I'd be delighted if he had to step down in shame, election was called and Labour won an outright majority.

I'm just giving my opinion about what I think will happen as opposed to what I want to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think the problem for those what want to get rid of Johnson is that partygate wasn't 'bad' enough to get rid of him. Someone who I know despises him said they'd rather see him go for something more serious, and I think that's fair comment.

It was Sky News in collusion with The Mirror (I see Pippa Crerar making regular appearances on Sky's nightly paper review of late) that kept this story going for weeks, by tactically drip feeding a new photo or whatever, just when the story was beginning to die down to keep it alive. The general public aren't that stupid that they can't see what's going on. To have Beth Rigby who was herself suspended from Sky News for breaking covid rules cover this story just goes to show that Sky News think they can manipulate public option, but they can't, not to the degree they wish anyway.

As for what happens now, I think Johnson still holds sway with the general public by and large, and nothing much has actually changed in that respect. I think it would be a great mistake from the Tory's point of view to get rid of him before the next GE. Covid has hugely affected his premiership and that seems to be over now. I think he should be given a chance post Covid, based on his undoubted electoral success for his party that he had a lot to do with.

I would rather see Johnson ousted via a GE than it happen as a result of the antics of the UK media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What I'd like to know is if there were extra people who attended just for the parties or were they just made up of people who were there anyway for work.

Seems like a lot of hot air over nothing. Take the alcohol out and the same people would have been gathering anyway for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There were people at the parties who would not have been on the premises for work reasons, yes. We know that people who work in the adjacent, but physically and organisationally separate, Cabinet Office were invited to attend, and did attend, the parties. Those people would not normally be in 10 Downing St. And we know of other people who did not work either in the Cabinet Office or in 10 Downing St; Carrie Johnson attended at least two (she organised one) and the Johnson's interior decorator, Lulu Lytle, was at at least one. And of course there may have been others that we don't know about yet.

But, as others have pointed out, the issue is not really the parties themselves. If Johnson had fessed up when the allegations were first made, this would all have blown over long ago, with only modest political damage to Johnson. The issue is the months of systematic, wilful, persistent, lying to Parliament and to the party, and the pressure put on party colleagues to pretend to believe the lies, and even to join in propagating them. If Johnson does go over this, it won't be because he held lockdown parties; it will be because by lying about them he has lost the confidence of Parliament, without which his political authority is destroyed and he cannot govern effectively. There's a constitutional expectation that minister who lie to Parliament must go; this isn't a rule that was created for Boris Johnson, and there is certainly no reason to make an exception for Boris Johnson.

The argument that the lies were about a relatively minor matter doesn't stack up at all; if the PM will lie to Parliament when he could so easily tell the truth and survive, that points to an extremely cavalier attitude to lying to Parliament; he will lie for even modest advantage or short-term political convenience. That makes matters worse, not better.

All this is entirely Johnson's fault because, of course, he didn't have to lie. He chose to, repeatedly. In so far as others have manoeuvred Johnson into this position in an attempt to get rid of him, they were only able to do so because they knew him well enough to know that, put in this position, he would lie. They haven't created the character flaws which show him to be unfit for office; they are merely exposing them to the public gaze. Johnson always had these character flaws; he was always unfit for office.

• Advertisement

It would depend who was invited. If they invited people from another department, they would have good reason to claim it's work.

Who could have been at the party that would make the Tory selected to face the media this morning, refuse to learn the lines and deliver them? Who would have needed to be invited that would make Kwasi Kwarteng say "I'm not defending this"?

Advertisement