Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked doctor sues former employer for refusing to call trans-woman "she"

Options

Comments

I would wager in 99.99999999999999999999% of cases, visual recognition would suffice.

Do you find it difficult to make an accurate distinction between sexes through sight alone?

A trip to specsavers might help

That doesn't exist. 🙄

struck down by the High court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not a wager I’d be prepared to make because the obvious issue which would arise is that some people would mistake a woman for a man on the basis that the person doesn’t adhere to their standards of how either women or men should present themselves in public.

No trip to specsavers would help, but being cautioned by the authorities for making a public nuisance of themselves, might temper their self-appointed authority to protect the public.

It is absolutely untrue that in almost all cases, sight alone wouldn't be an effective way of determining the sex of a person.

To argue against that would be deliberately obtuse.

Oh I don't know............ Ever see a Thai ladyboy

I’m not commenting on whether your claims are true or untrue, I’m commenting on whether or not I’d be willing to bet that people could tell the difference, when I know that there are people who can’t, and I know that of those people, there are a minority who would act on their perception that the person is not a woman, and I know that in those cases where they accost another member of the public, it can lead to innocent people being harmed by an utter nut job.

If I’d wanted to be deliberately obtuse, I’d have reminded you of my username in combination with the fact that on rare occasions I have only found out I was in the women’s bathrooms when a woman emerged from one of the stalls while I was washing my hands.

Anyone who thinks a transgender woman would take her cock out in public has obviously absolutely zero idea what transgender people are and why they transition.

Transgender women don't belong in female only spaces because that's unsafe for women; yet male only spaces are perfectly safe for them because biological males aren't a danger to women? How does that make sense exactly?

• Advertisement

In fairness OEJ, you are taking a common phrase and treating it as if I would actually be willing to instigate a bet. I think it was quite clear that there was no offer of gambling but more so an expression that it is my belief that in the vast majority of cases a person would be able to tell the difference between a man and a woman by sight alone.

That's why I said you were being obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Well I think the people on that side of the argument are generally of the opinion that they are NOT women. So there is no contradiction unless you think they are women.

"take her cock out"

Jesus.

My reasoning for not wanting transgender women in female-only spaces is because they aren't biologically female.

If the only pre-requisite to enter into a woman-only space is to self identify as a woman, you are effectively eliminating women-only spaces.

I didn’t imagine you were at all serious about making the bet, because we both know the consequences of your losing the bet - it wouldn’t be you that would suffer, it would be the innocent member of the public who just wants to go for a piss without being bothered by some asshole who can’t keep themselves to themselves!

Any suggestion for names?

Phani 😁

This site suggests it’s 100% a girls name.

https://www.popular-babynames.com/name/phani

I know at least one Phani who isn’t a girl! 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I think Phani is more a male name. I'll be becoming a female.

No, I wasn’t being deliberately obtuse. You were asking did the poster have difficulty differentiating between the sexes, and suggested that a trip to specsavers might help.

The question wasn’t directed at me, but I know of a few people who couldn’t tell the difference, and I’ve read of people who take it upon themselves to protect people by assaulting innocent members of the public.

While you may well be right that 99.99999% of people can tell the difference, I’d be concerned about the consequences for members of the public of people who couldn’t tell the difference imagining that they’re protecting the public from being endangered by the presence of a man in womens spaces.

Context, as well as intent, and giving people the benefit of the doubt, is what matters if you had any interest in being fair, or expecting that people should be fair to you when you hadn’t intended them to take your opinion seriously in the first place.

Could just as easily use your username?

I wasn’t sure for the longest time whether you were male or female tbh 😂

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User]

Transgender women don't belong in female only spaces because that's unsafe for women; yet male only spaces are perfectly safe for them because biological males aren't a danger to women? How does that make sense exactly?

I don’t know where transgender women belong in regards to toilets. From the perspective of the individual then it seems like using the female toilet would be better, especially if they feel unsafe in the men’s toilet.

This doesn’t seem to offend men and the only person feeling unsafe would be this one person. However by using the women’s toilet many women have expressed concern about feeling unsafe. If there were already 5 women in the toilet maybe 4 of them might be feeling unsafe. It seems a trade off either way someone is going to feel unsafe and generally in situations like these we view it as a numbers game similar to how people resolve the classic ‘trolley problem’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I was sitting at my desk signing up and couldn't think what to call myself when I noticed I had a fan and a dymo label printer in front of me. So merged them FanDymo

It’s different from the trolley problem in that the trolley problem is a hypothetical thought experiment, whereas the consequences of bathroom hysteria are quite real:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/5/18/11690234/women-bathrooms-harassment

You could easily portray the subject of this particular discussion as similar to the trolley problem, as the OP tried to do, but in reality each case is determined on it’s own merits, and thankfully ‘bathroom laws’ in any case don’t exist either in Ireland or the UK, and there are only a tiny number of people arguing for their introduction, at the expense of having a disproportionate effect on the right of people who are transgender to use the bathroom they are most comfortable using. Everyone in Irish society at least has that freedom.

It’s disingenuous to make claims about wanting to protect women by restricting access to women’s spaces, and then try to claim that women are responsible for women having more rights than men and all the usual farting noises that are made whenever it suits a small number of posters to portray themselves as victims and society doesn’t care about men and using suicide rates and rates of being the victims of violence among men and boys to make their points.

It’s patently obvious they don’t care about either men or women, they only want to restrict peoples freedoms by pitting groups of people against each other while they sit back and do nothing only play the victim when it might look like people are being regarded as being of equal status in law to them. That’s the whole point of why we have laws that don’t permit anyone to take the law into their own hands - it’s both to protect the public, and to protect those people from themselves.

That's quite reductive.

There's nothing disingenuous about wanting to maintain segregation of certain specific areas on the basis of sex while also highlighting that men, as a whole, are unfairly portrayed in media.

Reductive is something I’m rarely accused of being, but on this occasion I’ll take it 😁

Yes it is reductive, I do like to keep things simple as opposed to inventing issues where there aren’t any.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

what the f is that supposed to mean? my brain looks similar to another womans so now im definitely a woman hahaha yep my dick is just not real anymore LOL guess ill wear a dress and stand awkwardly in these heels my manly feet werent made to wear

and just to shut you up for good, that's not what the ''studies'' said -- they said there is similarities, not that a man who thinks he's a woman has a braain like a woman, the study said their brain processes thought similar to that of a woman due to the exposure to gender dsyphoria at a young age. cop on. its dangerous waffle like you're posting that makes innocent kids destroy their whole lives and identity just to fit in. **** like that rationalizes their choices, honestly have you no shame

this whole culture of forcing sexuality onto people so young is actually going to destroy so many lives and it twists me up to see people make it out like its normal

Chromosomes say different...from the dawn of time two x chromosomes make a woman and an x and y chromosomes are male. You cannot change that.if that transgender person wishes to be known as a woman and called SHE ...then she can be requested to be called that..biologically it's a man due to the chromosomes .I really wouldn't have a problem if a trans asked me to call her SHE I'm a polite person and respect people's feelings but biologically they are a man.should a person lose his job after he spent years in collage ect ? Absolutely not !!!

Anyone who thinks a transgender woman would take her cock out in public has obviously absolutely zero idea what transgender people are and why they transition.

And yet, you feel informed enough to box in a wide range of opinions, beliefs, and choices towards a scenario that suits you.

And if you really do think a Transgender woman wouldn't do any such thing, you really should avoid Pride related events, especially in the areas that get a "little" wild. Best also avoid Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam... the Trans there will really rock your world as to what they might do and why...

Males pose a possible risk to women. But then, so too do women (trans or biologically born).. female on female violence is hardly so rare as to dismiss it from consideration.

TBH, I 've never really got the argument over toilets. Segregation by gender for such places as a toilet or changing room, doesn't need to be justified. People want them. If other people want to have unisex facilities, then they can demand a separate place for them to mingle. Hell, why not just have a toilet or changing room just for Trans people (and the activists), and let biological males/females have their own spaces? No... of course not, because that's far too reasonable an answer to the problem.

When a post op trans woman enters a female bathroom, does she get her fanny out in front of all the biological females present? Just wondering if the urge to drop trou in public is dependant on biology or the possession of a penis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is beyond ridiculous though. There is no legislation on who can and who cant use toilets. Basically people here want laws to regulate them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement