Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It's definitely politicised in the US alright. Made all the more bizarre as people have flip flopped their opinions depending on who was President (both sides)

We can't forget what the media and governments have done the last 2 years either. They have convinced a high % of the population they could die if they catch covid . They done long lasting damage to people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've never seen this thread so quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

They are doing the bidding of Beijing. Very sad to see them grinding Cathay Pacific Airways into the ground. Its majority owned by the Swire Group who are British, hard not to come to the conclusion that its a deliberate tactic to put them out of business, no other airline in the world is in the same pickle, as HKG is their hub

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Here's a fairly comprehensive study pre-vaccine rollout on the effectiveness of masks at reducing R (there's lots of others):

An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19 | PNAS

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (4546141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

Now, you're question of whether they're worth the cost is interesting, we've seen the countries with lower infection rates and death rates generally have fared better economically than those that didn't, Ireland had some of the harshest lockdowns yet our economy is in rude health compared to others.

Now, the starting point of this is that the lockdowns and restrictions were an effective way for countries to manage themselves through a pandemic and will be likely to repeat such actions were another pandemic to occur (though favouring restrictions due to medical advances).

If you oppose any and all restrictions, then none of this will make a difference to your thought except the knowledge that pretty much every functioning country on both sides of the political spectrum followed these measures including the mask wearing. Medical studies support the actions, science support the actions, it doesn't leave a very credible place to go to claim otherwise (but lots of shouting and fist slamming).

And on the rubbish aspect, are face masks, increasing in any meaningful way the amount of waste produced by a person? Probably not, you'd need to be throwing away a lot of masks to have any substantial effect either in weight or in volume. Are they more visible? Yes, because of where people discard of them, the type who will leave a mask on the street will likely be throwing other rubbish on the street as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

It’s all over for the vast majority. The hardcore few will cling on relevance. Hegarty, the mad one with the long swine flu kids, etc. The likes of them have never been part of something and they liked it. So they’ll cling on for another bit yet.

But Omicron has ended it. Vaccines, and natural immunity playing a role too but the ultimate credit goes to Mother Nature. And that is not being said enough as those in the limelight provide other reasons for political gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/long-covid-a-lot-of-people-are-suffering-in-silence-unable-to-return-to-full-capacity-1.4799748

Physios making a landgrab for "long Covid", the orthodontists must be kicking themselves for not getting in there faster ;-) 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am presuming these are hospital / ICU based physios who are looking after patients post ventilation.Long term ventilation would cause a lot of issues . At some stage in January Tony Holohon ( i think it was ) said some patients were in ICU since June

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Of course, there was never any "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" from the open-up crowd during any of this, oh no...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why does it have to be this "message" and that "crowd"? All a tad extreme really.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

Does anyone know what the story is with bringing kids to the test centers, both me and my daughter tested positive on antigens yesterday, she has no symptoms, I have very mild ones, I'm over 40 so gonna get a PCR, it's just me and her isolating together, no one else in the house so I will have to bring her to the test center, I'm presuming there's no issue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If it's a drive through you'll have no problem. If it's a walk in centre, she'll probably have to wait in the car.

Judging by how quiet they are at the moment, you'll probably be in and out in 5-10 minutes.

She's only 6, won't be leaving her in a car alone

Bring her with you . Explain she cant be left alone

i have seen people with buggies in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Offhand, the test centre in Newtown Mount Kennedy was a drive through when we went. Post your location and I'm sure others here could advise which centre to go to. Or I'm sure if you can get through to the HSE they'll tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Last time I was in Citywest (which was last year to be fair), they had a drive-through that they were using for people with children and limited mobility. As above, let us know what part of the country you're in and someone with local knowledge might know where has a drive-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Of course it doesn't. Plenty of unnecessary extremism from both crowds throughout ;P

I'm in dublin, so can go anywhere in Dublin, had a look at the hse sight were you book tests, doesnt say which ones are drive through or not, Citywest doesn't seem to be in use anymore either

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The contract on Citywest ran out and it became a hotel again recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you find you have to bring her in, maybe just stick a proper mask on her for the 5 mins.Twist the ear loops so it fits her better.We had to do this at Christmas when getting tests, no other choice either.

• Advertisement

Yea will have to just bring her, she has a mask she loves to wear anyway so that won't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

The HSE's Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has launched a new Covid-19 data hub to provide the latest figures relating to cases, deaths and outbreaks in Ireland.

Why now?

https://epi-covid-19-hpscireland.hub.arcgis.com/

The Explorium in Sandyford is drive through if still available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

The test center in Ballycoolin was really really quiet when both myself and boss went on separate occasions this week. Can't see how this will stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Can I ask why you need a pcr test considering you've had a positive antigen test?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The teachers unions are letting their members down yet again trying to pressure NPHET over masks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In my older one's class, half of the kids are just not bothering any more and the teachers don't care.

She told us she "forgot" to put her mask on for the whole day in school yesterday. Clearly nobody said a thing to her.

I'd say the teachers' unions are way out of step on this one. More than half of teachers have probably had covid at this stage anyway, they don't care anymore.

They'll likely replace it all with public health advice, but I think it would be important to put protections in place for people who wish to continue to wear masks.

That is, to make it unlawful for an employer to refuse to allow a mask to be worn unless there's an obvious safety issue, and to make it illegal to refuse access to a shop/pub/etc if someone is wearing a mask. Niche concerns, but there are enough weirdos out there taking umbrage at people wearing masks. People should be permitted to continue wearing masks if they feel it is necessary for their own or others' protection.

Its really pathetic to see the amount of rubbish in the media from unions and experts begging to keep masks and restrictions.

It's actually sickening how many people have used this pandemic for their own self gain.

Some people would do anything to avoid the return of normality.

While I understand that society is not perfect, we can't keep using a pandemic as an excuse to push whatever the agenda is.

• Advertisement

Just incase my work were to ask for proof, I don't think they would but best to have it on the off chance they do, otherwise I wouldn't bother

Advertisement