Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This lady did not set out in business and then found herself in difficulty and found herself using money from one account to keep another afloat. No she set out with a deliberate plan to take cash from clients and trouser the lot! So no she will not be paying anyone back a cent. If she was a misfortune who was down on her luck and was caught shoplifting she would be before the courts but she may be banking (excuse the pun) on the whole hockey/golfing set to shield her from the laws that really should only apply to the peasants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭MacDanger

For the house in Louth that went up on BidX apparently without them knowing - is that they way that would normally operate? I'd have thought that that the seller (the bank in this case) would have needed to get a court order to sell a property like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Absolutely not , I suspect this was a commercial mortgage and rules a little different, at a guess and it's just a guess it was subject to liquidation, Buyers would have been aware of this and I've absolutely no doubt the son knew full well what was going on. This absolutely would not happen or be permitted if it was a private Home mortgage, the property would have to have been repossesd (Takes years) , fully before it could be sold.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What amazed me was that she continued to engage with the people she had scammed, long after she had got the money from them.

I can understand scamming people and then being nowhere to be found or uncontactable but to continue to answer phone and chat with them, even meeting up in person, I find that very odd.

Good point and it is very odd , I can only assume she kept engaging to prolong any potential action from victims as she was already before the courts, almost a clever ploy to avoid attention, deflect potential/ further charges, as it is she got off very lightly for the fraud she carried out on a hairdressing client. One thing for sure, she's cunning and devious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Her ability to lie to people so frequently and for so long in such a calm and calculated manner, and her ability to manipulate people with fake empathy while destroying them, seemed completely psychopathic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of Catriona's dodgy companies is called Careysfort Capital. There is however a legitimate company called Carysfort Capital (no 'e'). This company have taken the step of announcing on their website that they have no connection to Ms. Carey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Agreed - it was strange scamming in many ways.

I was expecting follow-up requests for money (just another €2K needed off you to unlock the land registry folio magic deeds) which is the way these advance-fee scams traditionally work, but she seemed to be happy with just the initial payment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ciara from Chara Legal was interviewed on KCLR FM last April - ~37mins in - given what we now know, it sounds more like a drive to recruit more marks...

I guess by keeping in touch she was keeping them onside and delaying them from reporting her. Also a key part of her plan was to generally insist on a cash deposit which meant the clients might be reluctant to report her as they would have a bit of explaining to do.

• Advertisement

Yes, RTE Very careful to mention the company had no connection to any other company of a similar name, that must be the one 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They were probably getting all kinds of requests for comments and/or abuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, they'd been fairly carefully chosen by the sounds of it. Now she would not have had that info, presumably her insider in one of those 'non bank' mortgage providers did.

It'd be fairly straightforward to identify people based on the repossession proceedings which I'd say had been issued against most of these. They wouldn't need an insider.

How do you mean 😕, Whilst repossession hearings are generally heard in open court (Circuit and some in the High court) I got an impression the "Barrister at Law degree lady" recommended Carey to some of these folks , but that said I don't believe she's a practising Barrister and I thinking (Guessing) someone, perhaps her (allegedly) was giving (Bad) financial advice to these folks and it was during that process the recommendations were made. Other than that Carey would have had to sit through court cases and whilst she's quite familiar with Courts 😁, that approach would seem very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Shes one scary person. Defrauded family and business associates, still continued in the community and then the "calm" way she interacted with these people. Something very unhinged I'd say..

At a minimum you can see the court listings for the High Court and the Circuit Court and hang around when the cases are heard. The court pleadings are public record too so I think anyone can go and look at them on the court file if they wanted to. Open to correction on the latter though.

I'm not at all doubting this was an option and possibility but from the reporting it would appear , personal introductions, recommendations made and I just doubt Carey hung around courts looking for prey, she's far to cunning for that. Besides these repossession hearings are I presume very emotional, traumatic experiences, I'd doubt any litigants would be in any frame of mind to talk to a total stranger and its also possible either they in attendance with a solicitor or representative of Mabs or FLAC.

True, that's most likely what happened here for sure. I was just saying they wouldn't necessarily need an insider in the lender to identify targets as someone else suggested.

• Advertisement

What's the story with Careys husband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

They probably will be patting her on the back for getting away with all the money, like the way she walked away with Dj money.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

First thing that struck me about the Tullow 'legal mediator' Ciara Ruschitzko, is that she's probably a grand daughter of the famous Laois hurler Paddy, who had Carlow connections. All the hurling angles to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

There is such a thing as a 'suckers list' - people who have been successfully scammed before are prime targets to be scammed again as they have demonstrated themselves to be susceptible to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I would have thought there is a man in her life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She has 1 maybe 2 children so there was a man around alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

To all these great poster who have done all this digging and are slapping themselves in the back after watching this program. How about you try and put yourselves in the place these people were in and there frame of mind at the time. Probably living day by day letters from everyone they owed money to weekly are you really saying you be in the frame of mind to think clearly know a name and do Google searches would ye f&%k. So how about vet off yer high horses. No wonder people would not want to revel there identities if scammed.

As for Catriona she knows exactly what she is doing from the agreement signed and where she has registered the companies. Given they are companies her and the others more then likely have limited liability and it would be up to whoever is prosecuting to prove without a doubt they know what they were doing

• Advertisement

You would be at least a little curious if you were about to give them 60k I reckon.

Advertisement