Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message from Cycling Ireland President

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As far as I recall, elected board members serve multi-year terms. So it would be only the people whose term is up who'd be stepping down at an AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

At this stage now it's one open letter away from getting it's own netflix series.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Think the EGM might make things clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Emma Hunt-Duffy was co-opted onto the board only last month yet is being told by the President to resign with immediate effect - she hardly had enough time to get her feet under the table. And the President will stay on for another 10 months and makes a big deal of rotating off the board at the AGM which is mandatory anyway. I've no knowledge beyond reading the press releases but the President doesn't come off well from what I'm reading.

https://www.cyclingireland.ie/news-item/emma-hunt-duffy-appointed-to-cycling-ireland-board/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very weird, two of them are barely in the door, be surprised if they had any more than one meeting so far. It is shockingly poor because no matter what he says later in the statement, it reads as if they have done something wrong (which they have not). The only reading I can make out of it is despite their newness to the board they are experienced heads in regards sitting on boards and it doesn't suit him. A foolish almost childlike email that may cost him a lot more than his presidency.

Either way, an EGM is the only solution now as the idea that you could pull this stunt and then get nearly a year to try and clean yourself up is untenable. He done a poor enough job at the AGM (in my opinion) and managed to insult about half the room by taking credit for things that didn't even happen or he didn't care enough about.

This is all separate from the other matters, which would appear to be well before the new members joined. Best case scenario it was a staff member freaked out and edited two quotes as a way around the minimum 3 quotes required, instead of just saying they couldn't get them. Not great but I can see how it could happen if training was not provided and often such training is overlooked, people under pressure in junior positions make errors, it is nothing new. It is only a really serious matter if senior members of staff or the board knew and pushed ahead with understanding of the deceit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

A lot of people, including myself, will be questioning their cycling ireland membership once it comes time to renew I think. The only reason I renew is for my club which I love being a part of, but at this stage myself and a good few others on our weekend spin are strongly considering just moving to a Triathlon club even though I can't run or swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I think there will be a lot of this, especially for the leisure licence holding cohort who've only seen the cost of their memberships creep up and seen little/nothing in exchange for it (see the extra Munster €5 skinned off them as the most recent example).

CI are fortunate there's no CTC/alternative org that serves non-competition, recreational cyclists in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I agree the Leisure license is a bit high for what it is, but the overall cost of being in a cycling club is tiny compared to many other sports. Joining a club is one of the best things I've done since I started cycling; I don't see how anyone would quit their club over some political shenanigans in the governing body that's likely to be sorted over the next few months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wouldn't be much in the difference locally between a TI training licence (€22) and Tri club membership (€65), and the CI leisure (€50) + cycling club membership (€40). You could add a few one day CI licences to if ye were doing sportives too.

I know the point is just to cycle with the Tri club, but cycling is a far cheaper sport overall than Triathlon - races, swim training, run training - definitely isn't a cheaper sport anyway

The additional cost of the CI Leisure license would be bearable if only CI actually showed any interest in leisure cycling. Most sportives are organised by dedicated clubs and volunteers with very little CI assistance and as a result sportives are dying a slow death. Very few big sportives around now compared to 8-10 years ago. If CI stepped in and saved events like the Sean Kelly Tour in Waterford or took the reins of organising a few big sportives themselves during the year then you could at least say they were doing something for leisure cycling and it would be bearable to pay the extra membership. It would take a lot of the burden off clubs who are doing their best to prop up leisure cycling in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

The same is true for races - organised by clubs and volunteers - so I don't think it's that they're not showing any interest in leisure, more that they're not sure what their role should be and what benefits they can bring. Apart from running events (and if paid CI staff are doing that, I'd expect entry costs to rise), what do you think they should be doing for leisure members?

My club runs a couple of open races - I think the "support" racing gets from CI is vastly overstated in the minds of leisure cyclists tbh. Clubs do the brunt of the leg work, and bare the costs.

CI+Club is still less than my non-playing membership of the local GAA club - for which I get the sum total of a vote at the AGM, and the chance to win tickets, and a load of fundraisers to support for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

If there's an EGM, someone is going to have to put a motion in place I would presume before hand ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GAA clubs have more overheads to cover and more capital costs for pitches, clubhouses, flood lights etc. GAA/county board cut of this membership is usually justified for organising league and championship competitions. What services do CI provide to leisure clubs that justifies what leisure members need to pay them? Insurance is all I can think of and even that's an add on. More than happy to pay my cycling club membership but the cycling ireland element of that just feels like a mobster taking his cut.

By the way I'm only looking at this from a leisure perspective, not involved in racing so have no views on that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ah no. Don't do it. You've got the rest of your life ahead of you and so much left to live for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

We must be getting close to Juniors Netflix special now

As a non-playing member? I still have to pay in to games, including some U14 where I'm dad cabs!

Insurance is quite a big thing, and having the backing (in theory rather than practice) helps races and sportives get organised with the Gardai. I can only speak for my own club, that the Leisure side is more active and gets just as much support as the racing side. The club also supports youths, who pay a nominal club membership

Only you can decide whether it's worth the money. Personally, I think you've unrealistic expectations. I doubt you'd find too much praise for Governing bodies in any sport. Bulk of any organising is left to the "grass roots" rather than being top down, in every sport. Run by volunteers, who aren't perfect, but ultimately are doing their best (with no great line of people wanting to volunteer to do their job, despite thinking they'd do better).

I know a few people who've left clubs, and organise as essentially an unaffiliated club. I was wondering how messy that could get if there was an incident on a spin (which in the road condition thread there was a number the last few weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I used to be member of Cycling Flanders years ago - their membership costs less than 30 euro (refundable by your health insurance) and in addition to insurance, covers a breakdown service anywhere in Belgium or within 50km of the border. I've had friends who literally got them to come because they couldn't fix a puncture

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Paying into GAA games to watch your kids. Now that's scandalous.

Do people take into account club gear as well into costs?

I'd wager the risk of injury is actually higher in GAA and such too, and insurance costs and public liability insurance would reflect that.

• Advertisement

I'm using it as a comparison, and what I get for my membership, compared to CI. I'm comfortable with the value for money as a predominantly leisure member. I pay both (and I don't need to join the GAA because they play. They have to be members - I don't, I choose to support the club).

But, I'll bite, balls is the only gear that is provided. I'm not sure, as a non-playing member, I'm that much at greater risk in GAA than cycling? But again, it was just as a comparison to the apparent "poor value" of CI Leisure membership, not (this time) to slag off the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Lots of interesting side-topics and views here - the 'value for money' question and that old 'somebody think of the leisure cyclists!' chestnut - but more importantly, is the new president gonna make cycling great again or not? From canvassing the odd opinion, he might have some good intentions but the methods being employed don't sound very presidential and I generally don't have much trust in people who choose to deal with sensitive and tricky issues via email and social media. All the more so when its volunteers and amateurism at work. Any date for that EGM being mooted? This side of Easter I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In fairness for leisure cyclists, I just renewed my own membership because if I do a couple of Irish sportive I'd have to pay a tenner a time for a CI day licence for each anyway, and the insurance is worth having also imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

All, just to point out. If you are a member of CI, you are entitled to turn up to EGM and AGM's and you get a vote. I've found in the past with clubs, very few actually turn up to the AGM but if even a small number of like minded turn up and vote, some very surprising people get elected to posts rather than the very vocal politicians who crave power and tend to be autocratic and single minded.....

Just saying... if anyone thinks they can be a great CI board member and can demonstrate passion for cycling... I'll promise to turn up at the AGM and listen to them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Every member of Cycling Ireland does NOT have a vote at EGMs and AGMs. A member of Cycling Ireland CANNOT turn up and vote for board members.

Every club can send a number of voting delegates to the AGM or EGM. The number of delegates is based on the number of C.I. members in the club. As I recall, the minimum number of delegates a club can send is 2. Other people have voting rights at AGMs, such as Board members. Others have votes as well, but I can't be bothered checking it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Correct. We don't have 'Direct Democracy Ireland' in place within cycling. Voting rights are strictly monitored.

At the recent CI AGM, the current President was elected unopposed; if there is a better candidate out there at the moment they should show their hand. If not, we carry on. You always get who you vote for in these matters.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Three independent directors have resigned from the board of Cycling Ireland, amid an escalating governance row in the body and tension over a “new issue” that has arisen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Car crash stuff. Think Mr. Collins might be getting himself involved in some litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Sorry! I made the assumption that CI was like most other clubs I've been in. But I'm familiar with the CI model as well, most (all?) the political groups are similarly organized, cleverly designed to stop ordinary members revolting.

• Advertisement

I would suggest in most clubs you'd have no problem getting to be the delegate, whatever about the numbers each club can send! I don't think it would be hard to get on a club committee, and then be nominated as a delegate.

Advertisement