Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

How long did other people wait to receive their full loan offer from Haven? I'm buying a house that needs some work, and they insisted on written quotes from workmen who'd actually visited the house, for every job.

Everything I submit, it seems like they ask for another piece of paperwork. I'm using a broker but still find it all insanely stressful, especially as the sellers are getting impatient. The house is empty and I have the full deposit amount waiting in my account, ready to go! Gaaaarghhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Link to photos sent via PM

Property is in Connemara. Cut granite former stables converted to habitation in 1960 with sash windows and blue Bangor slate roof. Built in 1893. Total area 380 acres, 300 acres of land, mostly mountain bog, approximately 10 acres of which are dense mature woods. There are two lakes comprising a further 80 acres. Both have small brown trout, The house has electricity and a rudimentary, acidic water supply, kitchen and bathroom, 2.5 bedrooms internally connected with a possible further two externally accessible via a verandah, which is needed to access the bathroom; largish sitting room, 5m ceilings, no heating, 4 fire places and 3 contiguous functional outbuildings, with a further one that needs re-roofing

The house is elevated and roughly in the geographic center of the property and would have views to the Atlantic if some scrub were to suffer a tragic accident. Driveway is 800m-1km.

The house would likely need at least €400K to bring to 21st century habitation standards. No possibility of internet except via Starlink. Attrocious mobile signal.

A major fly in the ointment is the entire property is subject to a SAC, meaning planning for anything that needs planning is very unlikely to get it, but that shouldn't stop the house being renovated within obvious limits. Privacy is such they would need to catch you first.

I'll throw in the Crannog and lime kiln for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My brother in law is involved in a property chain that just completely fell apart there the other day.

Brother in law was buying and went sale agreed on a house (well call this House 1), had to sell his own house (we'll call this House 2) in order to buy House 1. He found a buyer for House 2 however the vendor of House 1 couldnt find a suitable property to buy so the sale of House 1 fell through, which meant that my brother in law cancelled the sale of his house (House 2) and the purchasers of House 2 had to sell property (albeit not a family home) in order to buy House 2 and so that may have fallen through aswell. We're not sure.

Property chains at the moment as insane! One issue and multiple sales fall through due to complete and utter lack of alternative options available for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

There seems to be a complete dearth of options out there at the moment. Does anyone have any expectation now that we are edging out of Winter and days are getting longer that there might be a slight uptick in amount of properties on the market? Would Jan Feb after Christmas typically be slow months anyway for people thinking of selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Persistently_Curious

I'm currently living in Dublin 8 and can highly recommend it, you'll love it! Best of luck....I'm actually leaving in the near future though!

I can't offer you any builder recommendations I'm afraid!

Has anyone used Propertyhealthcheck.ie for a survey? Looking for a survey in Naas, Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Ladybug14

Yes. They were very quick to complete survey and sent a detailed report. Would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Has anyone an idea how long AIB take to get valuation done once you have booked and paid for it?

Co Mayo so wouldn't expect a big delay! Hopefully the last thing needed before we can get insurance sorted and get our keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Persistently_Curious

Another + for Property Health Check - it's quite high level but gives an overview of the property and highlights any key concerns.

I booked the valuation with AIB and got the report back in 2 weeks. In Northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Agree it’s depressing. Anything decent that does go on the market is snapped up after a short bidding war. I can’t see the situation improving in the short to medium term. It’s a full blown crisis. Government need to be held to account for this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ralfralf

Hi does anyone know how long does it take to get the Homebond certificate released nowadays? It is the only thing outstanding before we go drawdown.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Expateire

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Expateire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Offer accepted Sunday and sale agreed yesterday finally after 2 years of saving. Just wondering when you can sort home insurance and mortgage protection? Trying to get everything done so there's as few hold ups as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 demr

I sorted out mortgage protection a few months prior to closing. The broker just checked in every month for a couple of months to see if I had a start date for the policy yet. He did not seem bothered when I told him it would be another month before I had an update. With regard to home insurance you can do that closer to the time as it only takes a few minutes online provided the home is not over 100 years old and provided it is not listed (when this is the case it can take longer than mortgage protection to sort out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Put our house up yesterday ,over 1100 views in 24 hours. 2 viewings booked yesterday for later in week. Crazy out there. Don't envy anyone searching for a home. Caught by the crash and selling chain so had to hold on to it and let it. 100% mortgage(which wasn't the intention) since 2007 on new place, so looking forward to off loading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Angelica24

We have been sale agreed for several months now but trading up is nearly impossible and we have not managed to find anywhere to move to. In the meantime, prices for similar houses in our area have gone up and it feels like it's going to be very hard to close the gap if this continues.

I don't want to screw over our purchasers but I just wish they would quit of their own accord so we can re-market the house as I don't think we can close the gap in trading up finances if prices continue to rise and agents won't entertain potential purchasers in a chain unless they are sale agreed on their own house but it seems to be impossible to move so everyone is caught in a ridiculous stale mate where they are sale agreed to purchase but cannot move. Will we just have to keep taking the property on and off the market just to attempt to purchase? Is anyone else in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

We have an offer on ours, I’d like to accept it but we can’t find anything to buy… prices keep going out of our reach. There’s feck all we are interested in and prices keep jumping. If we accept the offer we may end up backing out in a couple of months, which isn’t fair on anyone else either

That is definitely a better idea to not go sale agreed until you are sale agreed on a property too. We were played a bit by our agent as we were bidding on a property also with them (a bad idea) and thought if we went sale agreed on ours, they would tell their vendor to accept our offer but of course they didn't and bidding went way over asking and we had to back out. The agent really doesn't care what price you get and just wants to wrap it up fast so they get their commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

just curious what do you think the government should do? Introduce price caps on what are essentially private companies? build houses and sell at cost? Nearly everything will have a lead time that means even if they today they had a building site ready to start construction on it would be at least 12-18 months before any effect was seen.

Having a 'hot' market where supply is way below demand is **** but at the same time can you really apportion all of the blame to the government?

Agents work for the seller, highest prices and quickest sale is their goal for all all the properties on their books. You won't get special treatment just because you are also on their books. We had the same when we were looking at selling pre covid, there was a house for sale with said agent and the do a low commission offer in our village but he was upfront with us. In that he wouldn't accept any bid from us on his properties until we had accepted an offer.

I think quickest sale is the bottom line with agents and they don't care what price you get really. It is what it is and there is nothing we can do about it but I wouldn't get pressurised into going sale agreed with the promise of going sale agreed on purchase again and I would warn anyone to be cautious about having the same agent but there isn't really much you can do in a sellers' market. I am thinking of using Moovingo next time though as I feel I did a lot of the work myself so would prefer not to pay the commission. If anyone has any experience of them, I would be grateful for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

We used Moovingo. Our experience was very positive. Very transparent, efficient and smooth transaction with them. I find them professional and honest. They have a fixed fee of €2,700 which of course does not incentivise them to push the price higher. But with the heated market at the moment, would DNG and Sherry Fitz had achieved a better price than we got? I doubt it. I saved c.7k of commissions.

• Advertisement

Thanks - that is very helpful to know. I will definitely use them if I have to put the house on the market again which unfortunately I will probably have to do next year.

Here's hoping the supply increases soon and we all have better luck house hunting soon.

Advertisement