Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

Surely there’s a lot of questions to be asked of the person (barrister) who introduced all these people to Carey..

Were they in on it too? Were they naive enough to be conned too? You’d think a barrister would know that what she was offering was too good to be true and/or illegal?

Edit: just read back over the thread; some great digging in there. I’d still suspect there’s another intermediary involved in there with some insider knowledge that gets the distressed owners from Start to Carey. This Freeman lawyer one doesn’t seem like the brains of the operation, somehow.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Of course I know if you engage with a bank your house will not be taken. Anyone who is looking at it rational does but some of these may have been in a point in time they were not thinking rational and were taken in. Of course there are those who were hoping they could get 1 over on the banks and while they may get less sympathy they were still scammed. I believe the Carey and the rest in the company knew exactly what they were doing. They probably used different hooks on different people to get them in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

So many questions in hindsight. Feel sorry for the victims.

1. Did they stop paying mortages while waiting for Carey?
    2. How were they going to get a loan to purchase their properties at the new mortage rate with Carey?
    3. If they could get 20 or 30k (in 2 cases €65k), why couldn't they make some arrangement with lender?
    4. Did they not think something was up when asked to pay cash deposits or when they were now directors of companies setup by Carey in this new deal?
    5. The son who bought the home and business from his parents in Louth. What did the couple do with all the money they got? Could they not have helped out? Strange that a neighbour would buy the property knowing the situation and then let them live there. Are they paying rent to the neighbour?
    6. Did anybody get their own legal advice before signing these contracts/legal documents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

All questions many of us have asked on the Thread

All questions RTE could have asked

All questions we just may not get the Answers too although, I suspect we've definitely not heard the last on this Scam or for that mater, the Delightful Catriona Carey 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

Many questions alright and I'm not feeling too sorry for these "victims".

There's a serious bang of Freeman off all of this and these "victims" must have bought in to it all - I'd imagine that the whole thing works by convincing the mark that the whole thing is a conjob but they and Carey benefit and the evil banks get ripped off and that's ok.... No due diligence, no garda, cash payments 🤔🤔

• Advertisement

Statement up on Chara Legal from Ciara. It’s long and I’m on my phone copied into my next post

https://www.facebook.com/471014580325515/posts/1135534027206897/

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

A statement on Catriona Carey and Careysfort Asset Estate Ltd

My initial thoughts were not to say anything. I had the belief that all who know me know that I would never be involved in a scam and the least said was the best option. I didn’t see the benefit to giving the keyboard warriors an open goal. 

But when your profile picture is shared on social media with the word “scum” under it and your children see comments about their mother, then the gloves come off and a statement is made. 

Many moons ago I became involved with lay litigants who were in trouble with the banks. My job was to help. So I helped. I did everything I could to help people who were in trouble. 

Through work contacts I met Catriona Carey in 2019 and she claimed she had an offering to give a second chance to people in last chance saloon. I don’t think I need to elaborate as the whole country saw the human tragedy this woman has caused.

The scam was elaborate and polished. It was done many times before I now believe. None of us know it when we were looking at her contracts as very little was on Google. Weirdly there was no reference to a previous conviction. There was a reference to the bro DJ but when Catriona quickly goes and sets up a rival company with her Mam and sister then one can jump to the conclusion that the family backed her so she must be innocent in her dispute with DJ. Hindsight is wonderful!

So Catriona Carey presented a limited company called Careysfort Asset Estates Ltd, run by an accountant and taxation consultant, reputable firm of solicitors on record and their contact details freely given. I introduced some people to her. They spoke to Catriona. Her approach was always laid back. “Have a look at the contract and see what you think” said with a smile. She answered each and every question she was asked. 

Clause 17 of this contract states that the potential client should do due diligence and have the contracts checked by the solicitor. Most did. If it wasn’t their solicitor they brought in their accountant or in some cases their financial adviser. Every question was answered by her in writing. A deposit was required and initially that was cash. Thankfully I keep all communication and in a number of them I state that I was not happy with Catriona asking my client for a cash deposit. Catriona Carey produced the relevant invoice/receipt for all cash deposits. She assured clients that all deposits were covered in her contract with them and the contract acknowledges every cent of every deposit. It also states that the deposit is refundable. After a while Careysfort Asset Estates takes the deposit by bank transfer. 

All seemed ok in 2019/20. Covid gave her and her business partner (I can’t name him as this is under investigation) an excuse to not produce contracts. I was told by someone in 2020 that he had 15 missed appointments with Catriona Carey and her “solicitor”. At this stage they had a “new solicitor” and this guy was in-house. 

I was so convinced I paid them myself to sort out a better mortgage! They took my money like everyone else’s. I also paid Ms Careys business partner to get me signature analysis reports and that didn’t happen either. Again they took my money!

On August 6th 2021 I got a written authority from the people I introduced and I issued an ultimatum to Careysfort Asset Estates stating they had 7 days to execute the contract or else rescind. In other words sign or cough up! Within an hour I got threatening messages from Ms Carey’s business partner and her “solicitor”. The contents were disgraceful and later that day she told me that she would no longer have any communication with me and would deal directly with the people who had paid deposits to her. Some were happy to do this and give her the time she said she needed to complete the buy out of their loans. 

I was very upset and frightened when I received a whatsapp message accompanied by a picture taken outside my house telling me they knew where I lived! All this was because I had issued an ultimatum to Catriona Carey and Careysfort Asset Estates to complete the work they had started. 

I first went to the Guards in Aug 2021 and started talking to RTE investigates in November. Everyone one else has too. Last week, just two days before the airing of the expose I got a phone call from one of Ms Carey’s associates. I was told to get the expose stopped and suffice to say there was a pleasant threat that involved the Kinnehans. I cannot repeat my response but it did have “off” at the end. 

It is a horrible feeling when you see your picture on social media with the word “scum”. I will state emphatically I am not involved in this scam, I had no knowledge it was a scam. I was never a director or employee of Careysfort Asset Estates and I too am a victim of it. The only problem is that everywhere I turn I’m being annihilated. Facebook, twitter, anonymous texts, whatsapps, phone calls during the night etc etc. 

It’s a sickening shocking feeling to read the words that some people write about you, especially when you have gone out of your way to help those very same people. There is no regard for your feelings or your vulnerability. Is it ok to treat people like **** and reduce them to tears? There are no thoughts for families and the people who get upset. And what is completely incredible is that there is no regard for the truth. Once you have the keyboard you can say what the hell you want. It stops now because I am not having my life and that of my families ruined because of false allegations. 

One other thing I need to say…..there is a second company Ms Carey has called Watershed Ltd, myself and my then business partner were directors for a while but resigned and I have not been a director since January 2 2021. Feel free to check out solocheck.ie to confirm this. To correct another tweet I saw, I was not and never have been a director of any UK company with Ms Carey.

Sorry for the long statement but it has to be said because this social media assault was getting out of hand and becoming bloody dangerous. Some of the screenshots I have seen have kept me awake and made me fear for my safety.  Given the nature of this I am not making further comments. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thank you for posting this. Jaysis there is so much stuff written there that doesnt make sense to me. Some of it may be true but alot of it is spoof.

She is supposed to be an intelligent, experienced legal professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Since chara legal connection with cathriona Carey has now being outed...is it a damage limitation exercise now

• Advertisement

She’s up to her eyeballs in the scam and the woe is me I’m vulnerable and fearing for my life is sickening. All publicly available info on these companies shows a wicked web of deceitful people all interconnected

Don’t forget, she is named on court papers served last year by one of the people that was on RTÉ investigates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Ah God love the poor innocent craturs that were able to just come up with 60k to hand over just like that.

Wow @PencilSharpenerOnWheels

We're to start on that Statement 😳

Firstly I certainly do not condone the treatment this person has recieved on social media, that is utterly unacceptable.

However there's so many holes in this statement , I'm reminded of Swiss cheese.

I've absolutely no doubt there was thuggish behaviour from Miss Carey and her vile cohorts.

The fundamental question remains, what was this supposed Legal Expert doing recommending anyone to this vile individual but more importantly did she leave her Legal Hat at home when actually reading the contracts which a first year law student could easily come to the conclusion they were completely preposterous and so absurd it wouldn't even make a half decent fairy tale.

As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, the premice of what Carey was proposing to do for these people was completely absurd in every respect.

She goes on to say she was a director for a short time of another one of Careys companies, how exactly did that transpire 🤔 clearly she had some Trust in Carey, to become a director of a company is not a small thing.

The absurdity of the comment about Google searches, stretches credulity, the DJ story has been doing the rounds online since 2011 and to assume Catriona went off and set up a rival company with mummy as a signal she was somehow innocent is extraordinary. The inner workings of families can be very complex, did she not consider the very cunning and devious Catriona was capable of duping her own mother 🤔, regardless, the facts at what Catriona Carey did at her Brothers firm remain for the world to analyse on the world wide Web.

Honestly, I sympathise (a little) with this individual (Online abuse) but mother of God she does not appear to be very bright and is certainly no legal scholar.

This said we at least have some sense of that utterly contemptable, Ghastly, Thuggish, Vile and Nasty (Alledgedly) the not so Delightful Catriona is.

EDIT, I also wonder if she started talking to RTE, did she appear on the show 🤔 why the referral to a Mysterious Barrister, I certainly didn't get an impression from the show this mysterious barrister was in receipt of Glowing praise from anyone 🤔

I don’t believe a word of the statement.

I believe the bits about intimidation and Thuggish behaviour from a certain individual 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Two questions about the above statement..

1 is it from the barrister Ciara Ruschitzko? and 2 is Pencilsharpenersonwheels Ciara Rushitzko or just a regular poster who just did a copy & paste from a website?😶

• She says the scam was 'elaborate and polished' - it really wasnt at all .
    • She doesnt appear to have checked if Carey was registered to do this kind of work
    • She admits introducing clients to Carey - no doubt she picked the clients that wouldnt ask any questions.
    • She ignored Catrionas dodgy history
    • On the programme noone mentioned doing any due diligence or checking with their solicitor - was she the one who ok'ed the contracts.
    • cash payments - this should be a big no, no, no for any legal professional
    • I dont believe for a second that she engaged Carey to ' get her a better mortgage'
    • As Dempo said above you would have to be close to someone to become a director of a company with them. Carey was more than an casual contact.

This womans career is ruined and thats a big price to pay. She may even face legal consequences for her involvement but threatening her is out of order.

Post edited by Deeec on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭robwen

So are we to believe the Notorious Kinahan gang are involved in this?

Yes the message is from Ciara. No Pencilsharpenersonwheels is not Ciara 😂 - they just posted it up here from Chara legals facebook page.

Thank god you never met Catriona Carey 😂

• Advertisement

Well said , the statement, on closer examination actually raises more questions , you'd have to wonder who is advising this person 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was so convinced I paid them myself to sort out a better mortgage! They took my money like everyone else’s.

Hold on a minute....so this person that set up a new company offering a service to negotiate with banks on their mortgage arrears, didn't actually negotiate with the banks themselves, and went and got Carey to buy out her mortgage...apparantly!

Of course not but I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if Catriona or her "Friend' from the sunny South East , let it slip (very, very foolishly) they had connections when making Threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I can't ever recall seeing a statement from a body of legal professionals that contained lines like " the gloves come off", many moons ago", last chance saloon " or " the bro DJ" !

The statement is actually very poorly written and worded . This statement could actually land her in more trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He literally linked to it on Chara Legal facebook page on the post before he copy and pasted it.

^^^^^^^^^

ok, sorry didn't see that

I agree , Ironically, Claire Byrne doing a segment later on how to get information on a person via Google searches removed 😁 this individual and Catriona might be advised to listen in 😏

• Advertisement

The laughable thing is she says she looked up Carey and therefore knew the story with her brother but obviously she missed the media reports from 2013 linking Carey and Allen. And the company that Ciara was now involved in, Carey Asset Estates, she didn’t look up and didn’t check the other director, Charlie Allen and his dodgy dealings.

And she talks about due diligence 😂

Advertisement