Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭pauldry

My phone is still saying 20cm of snow tomorrow. I don't care either way. Been stung too many times to even care. Phone also says winds of 82kts in Southwest. Its sourcing its info from ECM I think.

The weather is like a pretty girl that ya go "ah she's the one" and then at the end of the first date she says "I think we'd be better as friends" and you say "but I'm not looking for a friend" and then there's an awkward silence from the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't say people "want" their children off school. It's more in the modern era of two working parents, having to try and plan for that eventuality ahead of it if they possibly can. Schools closing is in line with the Red warning level of "staying in doors".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Icon just coming out also less intense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Thats met eireanns forecast as of now.....

Rain overnight, and windy tomorrow morning ?

HArdly as dramatic as being made out in some places ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, and finally ICON has gone further north too - but there is actually such a flabby eye to the storm they forecast that it is hard to say where exactly it is making landfall.

Otherwise, in terms of the track, MT reckoned the average of all the models about 3 days ago was a landfall around the Shannon estuary. Right now that looks odds on (pretty much model consensus on that). That's pretty good model performance all round in fairness to get landfall correct that precisely (assuming that proves to be the case) a good 36 hours before the storm even formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

145 km/hr gusts in Cork and Kerry. That's clear red isn't it? And right at morning commute time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

06Z analysis. Still an open low just north of the Azores, with a very cold northwesterly airflow to its northwest, as evidenced by the showery troughs and cold cloudtops in the latest IR sate image.

Midnight tonight, 974 hPa off our southwest coast, already occluding so a northward shift of track possible.

12Z tomorrow, already peaked as only 5 hPa lower than 12 hours before.

Hence presumably the 'Yellow. Not unusual weather. Localised danger.' warning for your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

oh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

watch it track on ventusky and you'll see it reaching borderline hurricane speeds and it looks like the south of England is going to get the brunt of it

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.95;-8.05;6&l=gust&t=20220218/0700

• Registered Users Posts: 10 commanjoe

I heard Gerry whatshisface from ME a few mins ago saying some of the orange warnings are likely to become red. Hardly nothing. Just because your back garden isn’t going to be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

The usual Helen Lovejoys were on the school thread on WhatsApp last night calling for a complete shutdown.

I reckon all this lockdown business has made people more risk adverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

if the storm is much less intense than expected then, yes, ICON got intensity right - but it looks like it got the track wrong. All week it had the eye of the storm missing Ireland completely to the south but even it is no longer showing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Looking forward to my DUB-LBA flight tomorrow night. 🙃

Due into LBA at 21:00. I expect to get off the ground in DUB but questionable whether we make it to LBA or not. It's challenging there with gusts at the best of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Risk averse parents?

In the 'good old days' kids were packed into cars without seat belts, parents routinely drove their kids to smoke filled pubs where they licked the lead paint for a few hours before driving them home 6 pints north of sober

In the grand scheme of things, not going to school during a potentially hurricane strength storm is quite a sensible risk assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It'll have long blown through by then, even at Leeds, should be a pretty unremarkable cool and breezy February night

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Shouldn't you wait until after the event before deciding which model got it right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

We really seem to be dodging a bullet with the strongest winds being overnight for us when most people will be inside anyway which is great. It feels like we often dodge a bullet with these thankfully, while I'm an avid storm lover I'd rather these severe winds not be as bad as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Whilst most posters here probably know that DUB is Dublin airport, not so many will know that LBA is Leeds Bradford Airport so perhaps something to bear in mind when posting as most posters here are not fully up to speed with the International Air Transport Association airport codes/location identifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

So this is all up in the air.. from what I can gather this morning, nobody has a notion as to what’s going to happen tomorrow, you’ve a few here saying it won’t be too bad then you’ve Carlow Weather and Met Éireann saying possible upgrades on the way..

Status Orange - Storm warning for Clare, Galway, Waterford, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wicklow, Laois, Offaly, Dublin.

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Storm Eunice will track quickly over Ireland tonight and Friday morning bringing severe and damaging winds for a time. Southwest or cyclonic winds becoming northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts up to 130 km/h. Some coastal flooding, especially at high tide. 

Valid: 03:00 Friday 18/02/2022 to 11:00 Friday 18/02/2022

Issued: 09:36 Thursday 17/02/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

I had to look up LBA so you're right!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork and kerry red!!

Wouldnt be surprised if Clare is added red

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Met Eireann gone Red for Cork & Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I wouldn't want to second guess the red level alert because I'm pretty sure it would verify somewhere in both counties, but I have the feeling we will have a variety of posts during the event from those counties saying "very bad here" and "not much here" and that's mostly down to the interaction of a westerly to northwesterly wind with the complex terrain. If you live in those counties you'll probably know from past experience how exposed you are to that wind direction (think of Darwin for example). The difference with Darwin on current model runs is that Darwin was a bit further north which allowed those very strong winds into Limerick and the inland south. It will be more confined to coastal regions with Eunice, unless guidance changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Limerick appears to have been blown into oblivion 😁.

Advertisement