Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

2020 Property Tax figures rounded. Fingal, Dublin City and South Dublin 80% declared their properties as valued at under €300,000. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown was 40% under €300,000. These are based on 2013 valuations, so the numbers will go up a lot in the 2021 revaluation. But it shows that the average is being arrived at from a wide range of valuations.

I'm suggesting a possible quicker way to provide accommodation than new builds. If people were approached with a fair offer from the State, they can say Yes or No. No harm in asking when there is a crisis ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Can they buy them back then when the ‘crisis’ is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I've already said that I don't expect everyone to buy in Athenry, twice. Take a deep breath and actually read what I'm saying. I'm saying that if you can't afford to live in Galway city, then commute from places like Athenry. In other words commute from places within commuting distance of Galway. There's not really any other option at the moment, is there?

I'm not trying to push people in well paying jobs out of the city. If they can afford to live in the city, then great. If they can't, then they can't so it looks like it's a commute for them. I'm not saying that our strategy should be getting people to commute, I'm saying the opposite. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to commute. But we don't live in an ideal world so we have to be realistic. If you can't afford a house in the city, you have to move further afield.

Lets go with your plenty of land in Galway city to build. Why is nobody building on it now if people are crying out for houses? Who owns the land? Who will build them? Who will pay for them? What happens if the cost of building these houses comes in around €300k? Who can afford to buy them? Galway has services and amenities but it doesn't have the infrastructure to support a five-fold increase in residents. The road network is sh1te. What will the traffic be like if there's an estate/multiple estates within the bounds of the city with 2000 houses built in it? Can the water and sewage network cope with a doubling of requirements? It's not as simple as saying we should build in the city. It would be great if everyone could live beside where they work, but it ain't going to happen.

It can be solved, but it will take a generation to do it. Roads/infrastructure etc. need to be improved. Funds or incentives need to be put in place to facilitate building etc. None of it is going to be easy.

Simple question. If you had a job in Galway city but were on €40k and couldn't afford a house there, what would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

How would that increase property for rent or help the housing crisis? Most people that own 2 properties are renting one out. So you want the sate to buy them and then rent them out. Or the state to buy them and then give them away. If the state take over renting them they can be rented at a lower standard than if privately rented. If sold the occupancy rate will drop as rented property has higher occupancy rates in the private sector.

So ultimately it would cost a fortune and less accommodation would be the result while depriving Irish citizens several rights on ownership and choice of what to do with their own money. Do you really think that is a good thing.

Quickest way is to do up the derelict property the councils already own and stop blaming private citizen for government housing policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

cop yourself on everyone but you knows there is a housing shortage of housing in Ireland and you talk such rubbish of buying a house in Galway. If you want details of price of houses in Galway or anyway there is daft.ie etc... i am not buying i am stating a fact that houses are scarce and what would have being very affluent people years ago cannot get near the property market...

But there are 180,000 approx vacant properties. If some of those could be brought into the occupied stock, that would be less new builds. The choice would be entirely with the owners.

Why are they empty? Who says they are the same people who own 2 properties have one derelict? You are making massive leaps and bounds for a ridiculously expensive proposal that doesn't solve the problem. The largest owner of derelict property is the councils already. Why not target their inaction.

It could be inertia on the part of some owners. The same sort of inertia which leads to vast sums of money being abandoned in Dormant Accounts. No harm in approaching them with an offer, the worst that can happen is they say No. There is a very strong sentiment in the country to help solve the homeless crisis, and this is just a way that some people could assist.

You really should try arguing a point. There is not a shortage of houses in Ireland there is a occupancy rate issue. Large parts of Dublin and Galway are occupied with one or two OAPs that can house families living in 1-2 bedroom apartments.

I don't care about what the prices are in Galway. I want to know what you want them to be and what high wage is stopping your friends from being able to afford. It is quite obvious you aren't going to give actual figures because you don't know what you are talking about

• Advertisement

I am not looking for the house this is a forum where people compare notes about everything and nothing...

I will leave the excrcise to you... you find me a house anywhere around Galway for 200k (any condition) they will buy...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Why bother if the council already own so much unused property? Not sure what you don't get about this.

You want them to spend more time and money tracking people down to offer to by empty property so the council will do what with it? They aren't doing anything with what they have go why would they be more productive if they got more?

Where are they going to get the staff to do this investigation. Ideas have to have a practical element and yours does not.

They should make the unemployed build housing! Problem solved once there are no follow up question or explanation on how this would work.

Hard to get near the property market if you don’t work. Top tip get a job.

You are not comparing notes you are intentionally being vague and refuse to answer details of your claim. I do not believe your claims and you have not backed it up in any way. For that I will take the view you are not genuinely discussing the issue. You change tack when asked direct questions and have not argued any point.

You want me to find a house you are not looking for at an unreasonable price that has no bearing on the arguement you made about higher earners not being able to afford a house in Galway. Do you actually think that makes any point or sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Build proper apartments like in Europe. Houses shouldn't be giving permission to be built near major city's. And if they get problem welfare tenants evict them if they are antisocial after receiving a warning.

Apartments get a bad rap as people think of crumlin ect, they were left become lawless. Misbehaving?...then go move shift.

I think you cannot read... i never said i wanted a house... i have no need to talk the facts as it is another person who is looking...

I expect you just bored...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wasn't responding to your post. Please review who and what I responded to before making assumptions about what I was posting.

Your anology BTW has nothing to do with main and high street dereliction. Your talking about elderly people in fair deal scheme. Who may be in a home. That has absolutely nothing to do with any of my points. At all. But you for some reason chose to bring that unit play to deflect from you owning some property you barely use. And are probably circumventing the code so it makes it look that its in active use. Clap clap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes but the issue is that most people working in Galway city cannot afford to live there as housing as become unrealistically unaffordable. Its not just the lowest paid ~20-30% of people who cant afford, median income households cannot afford houses in the city either.

So either wages need to go up or supply need to increase - at the end of the day Cities like galway will suffer the brunt of it from ever increasing traffic.

All those arguments about road network and sewage etc all apply to small towns like Athenry aswell, even moreso tbh

If I were on 40k in Galway I would leave. There are still some places outside the cities where the difference between incomes and house prices is not so perverse. Anecdotally I know of a few companies in Galway that are struggling with staff retention simply because the cost of living there is too high to buy/rent in the city, and commuting from outside involves such long traffic jams that many move on after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That would not work either, they would still be blamed the argument would move on to get a better job the vast majority of lone parents work for example.

I heard someone foaming with rage about a neighbor who has 5 children he is a stay-at-home dad and his wife works.

The thing is there always has to be someone else to blame it severs a function for society.

• Advertisement

I know you didn't respond to my my post that is why I pointed it out.

You never made any distinction between why the property was vacant or derelict. That is what I was pointing out to you and I asked you did you understand. It appears you didn't. It isn't an analogy it is a true circumstance and you said she should be forced to sell.

I am not deflecting in any way about my property. I would make it a rental but the regulations make it not worth it so a reason for there being at least 2 properties not for rent is the bad legislation which you want to make worse. Do you want the government telling you what you can and can't do with your property? Other people don't and you seem to want to ignore these people and think there will be political will to do a very very unpopular move. That is very unlikely but you still think it should happen.

I am going to use the building but not for tenants so why do you care? Maybe I can see your home and decide how it would be better used.

The government should address the Fair Deal as it is causing vacant housing. Do you agree or disagree?

Child care for 5 children would be expensive. That was their choice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course but what was triggering the person foaming with rage was the 'free' things the family might be getting for the children grants ect, while he and his wife have to pay for everything.

If wages go up, then so will the cost of everything else, including houses/apartments.

It's one thing saying supply needs to increase, it's a different thing to actually supply these houses/apartments.

With the way the price of building materials is going up at the moment, I can actually see builders stopping building as there will be very few people able to afford the houses that they are building.

It's gonna get worse long before it gets better.

I entirely disagree with the premise that someone 'can do what they like with their building' So theres a jump off point there. We have regulations and planning for a reason. And its not to stimey profit. Its to ensure that the buildings work well for their environment and dont detract from it. If that means CPO's then so be it. Its as if for some reason property owners en masse get additional rights over and above the community that their property is located in. Mad stuff altogether, and the state also owes them a living too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey now, no need for congrats - when you start with nonsense, it's not that difficult to distil it down further.

You said in one of your above posts that an elderly lady's property should be forcibly sold as it was not her principal private residence and was not in use.

If you don't agree with CPOs for people with second properties, then what is your criteria for the above?

What additional rights over and above the community do property owners get? Genuinely curious. Or was that a sarcastic comment? I'm having a Sheldon Cooper moment.

Evidently it is her principle private residence, shes in a care home its fair deal. Its her house. So its got absolutely nothing to do with property developers sitting on properties on main streets across the country. Many of whom are just hoarding money in assets from the banks who might charge them for it. And they wont put a penny into the property at all so it falls down into disrepair. But if a single incentive comes up theyre on it like flies in shite. And frankly thats wrong. Completely wrong. That in itself is an incentive for them to do absolutely nothing.

Tax the arse off it and CPO.

Well it appears they get to dictate how the visible destruction of streets and areas occurs with zero responsibility. So theres that.

• Advertisement

There's the Derelict Sites 1990 in place.

I'm fine with the Council CPOing a building that is derelict and is a danger to the public. I'm not fine with the Council CPOing a house just because it is empty. If a property owner has two houses or more, and the houses are unoccupied but not derelict, I think the State should keep it's nose out of that property owner's business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The new regime, which is really going back to the pre Tiger regime, should ensure that nobody will finish up in Negative Equity again. The last thing we need is tens of thousands of loans being defaulted again, so lending rules have to be strict.

Far as I can tell the unwritten government priority was to get those who overpaid bubble prices in the mid-2000s out of negative equity, and that priority is fundamentally incompatible with any definition of affordable housing. In this sense the current housing situation is success as designed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If wages cause price inflation equal or greater than the rise in wages, then its a defacto supply problem. And as I said earlier, we need to increase supply also.

You really don't pay attention. She is not on fair deal she pays for her own care to AVOID the fair deal. As she has been in a home for over 2 years that is her principle private residence. You seem to be unaware of what the official terms are used such as a property used to park cars is in use and not derelict.

I tried to clarify with you if you were separating vacant property from property owned by developers. You made it very clear you didn't separate them and would have her property go CPO.

I do agree there need to be something done for derelict main streets but it has to be measured and not encompass private individuals but the likes that buy it up and do nothing with it. They are very different types of owners and should be treated differently.

You are obsessing about the content of the show and not listening to the ramifications of blanket rules. You need to confine policies so as not to break laws and making private citizens paying a disproportional amount for failure of councils to provide accommodation. Don't forget these councils were given money by developer to provide social housing as part of development agreements and squandered the money and didn't provide the housing. I think it unlikely once these councils get more property they will provide housing and clean up derelict property.

There is a reason private companies are used to build and plan housing. It is because the councils don't have the skills or ability. That is why incentive schemes are better than fines. You can disagree but can you show the councils doing a great job providing housing? Why would you trust them now?

You may think it is acceptable for vacant property to be seized by the government but many people either own this or have relative and friends who do and they would not be happy with such blanket policies. It may sound great to you because it doesn't cost you anything and you want to see people punished. Is the goal to do it cheaply and quickly or punish people, you haven't answered this?

In my view that's her principle private residence. And actually doesn't come under what I'm talking about. As you know because you elaborated on my actual point later in your post.

I don't obsolve councils either. They too should be forced to **** or get off the pot.

Both councils and many many private individuals either domicile or not are asset sitting and running property down into the ground.

National strategy. Its needs addressing. And the stick approach has to be used because it makes action take hold faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It's mad isn't it.

As a comparison Tyne and Wear in England has 2,093 available in a pop just over a million.

• Advertisement

Your view doesn't matter unless it is in the law. It isn't her principle private resident by law. My point is it does come under the laws and rules you are talking about. You also said it should be taken off her already.

Are you changing your mind or not? Are you going to say the law should make exceptions and target the actual real issue?

Have you any proof that the stick approach makes things faster? I pointed out that the councils are slower to do things why do you think they will be quicker. In the 80s they encourage investment and that worked but there is no proof what you are saying works as far as I am aware. Are you in possession of information that proves the stick works better? I don't think it does but you are sure it does,

Again do you want quick and cheap or punishment? Would it bother you if incentives worked better and these people made profits but we have housing and less derelict property?

I really don't like dereliction and I believe what was allowed happen by the 5 lamps in Dublin is a disgrace. I watched as the building were let fall down and we lost some beautiful buildings and a focal point of the city. Then you have something like Iveagh Market which was in control of the council which they completely failed to manage. I wouldn't put the council in charge of any derelict buildings as they have a track record on failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...an interesting one from political scientist mark blyth, "if this inflation thing was caused by giving people too much money, why are those same people struggling to make ends meet, and why is the solution is to make their money more expensive?"

I'm just waiting to see if there will be an uptick of rental properties coming on-market in the second quarter. In other words all the ones that were vacated by people getting out of Dublin shortly after Covid-19 showed up and having now been unoccupied for 24 months are no longer subject to RPZ limits.

Not many were left vacant for that to work. There is a bigger problem in that many gave up their rentals and now will have to find another as they are required to be in work even if it is only 2 days a week

Incentives haven't worked. We've incentivesed the arse out of the property market worldwide. And look what we have worldwide. Lack of property. A disfunction build to rent system.

We give too much of tax payers money to profit businesses now. We should start giving it back to the city's and towns people live in. That means facilitating home ownership through dereliction upgrades or social housing.

Your plan takes money out of the real economy as people pay you rent for something they'll never have the opportunity to own ever. That's toppsy turvy and it's neoliberalism which started back in the 80s. Turned out great everywhere around the world right...

No that woman shouldnt lose her house. Its her house. Its not nor never has been what you represented an asset investment.

So keep to the topic at hand. Dereliction not homes of little oul wans. Your trying to obfuscate the core issue here.

I've also stated councils need a good stick too because theyve been allowed to be sub par for decades. Neo liberalism in action.

• Advertisement

You’re obsessed with social housing needs. Every one ignoring the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Who in their right mind would rent out a property in this country? Likely paying 52% income tax know the rental profits, often in negative cash flow if the property is mortgaged, and if the tenant decides after 6 months to stop paying rent it will take at least 2 to have them removed and you're unlikely to recover that rent. And if the tenant destroys your property in the meantime its on you to repair.

Won't be anywhere near enough to make a difference on the grand scale of things but still be interesting/depressing (delete as appropriate) to see if that is what some landlords decided to do.

I've come across mixed signals but there are certainly companies that have had to offer permanent remote working in order to stop losing significant portions of tech staff. I pretty much walked out because I decided I was not going to put up with Dublin's accommodation situation.

The people doing the biggest whinging need to get off their behind and get a job.

They think the government are obliged to provide for them.

What incentives haven't worked? We are talking Ireland. Section 23 worked very well in Dublin, not sure you are old enough to have seen it working.

My "plan" creates accommodation quickly and who said the property would then just be rented and not sold? You assume way too much because you are not open minded. I think you are better off not using terms like "neoliberalism" because you obviously don't understand it or even the word "bias".

Go back and read. You will see it is you who decided it was an asset that should be taken and also mentioned it made no difference she was old. So you are changing what you said now.

So are we clear you don't want any incentives because you are morally opposed to giving more money as private companies/individuals would profit, this is irregardless of it being the quickest solution you just don't want them getting money.

Meanwhile you are going to somehow create a stick to beat the councils with until they do what you think they should while giving them more property. To fund this the country should borrow the money and then all is OK. You see no flaw in your plan?

Again do you want it done quickly and cheaply or punish people? Why you won't answer this is apparent because what you are saying is you want the punishment angle and beat organisation around so they will do what you think is best. I asked for proof of this working and you have none.

There really isn't anything left to discuss because you aren't engaging when asked questions or proof that your idea is in anyway practical in the real world. Just to let you know a 28 apartment block near me was bought by the council over a year ago. It is still vacant and all they did was remove all the appliances, fixtures and fittings from a building less than 10 years old. You want to trust them to do more, no matter what penalties you heap on them they aren't going to suddenly be more efficient. I worked with the civil service so maybe I am more aware of how they operate or more to the point not operate. You live in angry hope of retribution and magical councils but reality isn't changing

apologies, i completely forgot the welfare classes have been entirely behind the financialisation of our economies, in particular our property markets, resulting in its mess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

The underlying problem is quite simple. Money is extremely cheap at present and this is inflating asset prices. This is a worldwide phenomenon. The ordinary individual, however, is subject to borrowing restrictions by central banks that don't apply to larger corporate entities and is therefore forced into the rental market.

Governments, seeking votes, then place restrictions on how much property corporate property funds can buy however this causes supply issues and rising rents for the increased numbers of people stuck in the rental market.

The problem goes back to aftermath of the financial crisis when money was printed to try to revive economies and at the same time mortgate lending criteria was tightened for ordinary people.

It is an example of why you can't print your way out of economic problems and why also, you can't legislate your way out of problems caused by printing money.

If everyone "stuck" in rented properties gets to be a private homeowner that will be good. Never happened before. They must look in envy at those tens of thousands who have their own Principal Private Residence, and another residence or two along with that. Some of the stats were given in the thread previously, but not including the 62,000 (in 2016) Holiday Homes.

It did happen before. That is what happened to the social housing of the past it was sold to the resident for precisely that reason. Some squandered it other built on it so they had property to rent. Now the extremist think it is good to punish those who did well and seize their assets. Seems unfair to me but if you are a "have not" making somebody who is a "have" pay must be very appealing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement