Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Happy dance time 🤣

(I just hope my employers finally accept the tide has turned and they move away from the 2021 rules they are still enforcing... Hopefully the isolation rules change at the same time, that's the one thing keeping the mask wearing going at work... They don't give two fiddlers about our health once we can keep pumping out the goods)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Listening to Pat Kenny for **** and giggles, he can't let it go. One sided texts being read out and like Kaiser said, the callers earlier advocated a personal choice approach and he kept swinging back the opposite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Given how many staff you see with masks half on, below their chin or not on at all behind their plastic screens, I'd say that is very unlikely. Smaller places may ask but at the risk of losing business many will just drop any need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I don't wear them in shops now anyway.

I'll continue to wear them when visiting particularly nervous and vulnerable family members if it helps them with a sense of security, even though the real security will come from the antigen test I take before visiting.

I'll probably still wear a mask whenever I need to visit the doctors' surgery, because while they are absolutely **** useless against Covid, they might help me avoid the sorts of coughs and colds that lands people int he surgery waiting room with me. That's about it though.

The only way for them to drop mask mandates and not look like eejits is to announce it effective immediately. "Masks are effective enough to require mandates until next Monday 2pm" is just as ridiculous as the notion that Covid spreads slower in packed house parties after 8pm was.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

I haven’t worn a mask in any petrol station in months. If they don’t ask now they certainly won’t ask when its no longer a legal requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Already on rte groups are saying we shouldn't be ditching masks. That we should wait until the end of March.

I mean Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we delay when the likes of NI, UK are removing masks it'll ruin us. I'd rather go north if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Put Pat Kenny on also early for the giggles, he's deranged! What's so strikingly naive is that they actually believe the existing face coverings being partly worn offer total protection to you - like in reality it might reduce the risk by a tiny bit, but if you want to be protected, don't get on the feckin packed bus in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

To me personally the restrictions wont be fully gone, until the Covid Pass to travel is gone...and the emergency powers are ended , end of March.

We don't need to keep them and they are still a coercion tool for boosters and that is still wrong.

If the Covid pass continues, to me and my admittedly zero knowledge of the law.. it would mean there is possibly a law there somewhere that can refuse people to return home without PCR/ antigen tests/Passes/ or quarantine etc.. and that's against the constitution, as far as I am aware.. people not allowed entry to their home country is only restricted/ or with certain conditions only apply if they are criminals..

That needs to end, and renewing the covid pass til next summer is a joke.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

His parents watching children "dropping like flies" concern was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's stopping these people wearing them until March 2042?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Presumably Pat hardly ever wears a mask. I'd say he hasn't been on a bus or train in about 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What I have found is that most "normal" people have largely moved on/forgotten about Covid, and we are left with a lot of obsessive, anxiety-ridden types filling up the airwaves, texts, polls, etc. I don't particularly like saying this, but there is a cohort of society for whom Covid gave their lives meaning. They could follow every news item, digest all the details, and proceed to pontificate and lecture to all and sundry. The type of person who is naturally introverted, and now they are being left on the inside lane once again, as life passes them by.

And before I am berated for being unsympathetic, I do understand that there are certain people who have underlying conditions, and are genuinely fearful. The only thing I can say is that these people must continue to risk assess, be cautious, use their own personal judgement and act accordingly. Expecting the vast, vast (VAST!) majority of society to appease their anxieties is just not sustainable anymore. Society did what was asked of them numerous times throughout the last 2 years, and now is a time to rejoice that we are finally moving on.

BTW, say a prayer for Orla Hegarty and her ilk 😅

Yeah these people could go back to worrying and talking about Trump again. A suggestion for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Not many places enforce masks as it is. Most staff don't want the hassle and those that do enforce it can say they are just making sure people comply with the law. If you switch the law for shop rules it will be a much harder sell and I really can't see many shops doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

In retrospect the construction lockdowns are looking like one of the worst mis-steps in terms of policy. People needing somewhere to rent now could face homelessness just because there aren't lets available.

Almost no other countries had this policy of shutting down construction sites. A lot of building work is effectively outdoors anyway.

This is what I meant by criticising "monomania", which is throwing everything including the kitchen sink at one issue and pretending no other issues exist. No one knows whether shutting down construction sites 'saved lives' (doubtful) but now we have to experience the consequences of a supply shock in housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Michael Martin couldnt ( in a full throated manner ) recommend that today is Thursday , hes the ultimate fence sitting, shivering, touch kicker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Similar to the North last week...except the announcement was made by the press as the Health Minister has Covid...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

My unwashed 18 month old mask is indeed a face rag at this stage.... Like having a dirty protest on my face 🤣

Super classy 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apart from that there are probably a couple more.

• Very strident NPHET opposition to antigen tests
    • Probable overdependence on extended lockdowns, first one excluded, despite the 2km limits
    • The testing regime for most of it, not helped of course by point 1
    • Some measures of extremely limited return or justification - i.e. MHQ
    • One could also probably look at some of the modelling and communications.

It may be academic to review it seeing as we shouldn't have to deal with this scenario for a very long time but it may help to get a better pandemic plan together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I went into a chipper last weekend and the guy taking my order actually TOLD me to take my mask off! I wanted to fcuking kiss him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

As far as I remember we were the only country in the world to close construction (I could be wrong on that but I thought I read that somewhere)

But it doesn't matter if we weren't the only one, closing construction in January '21 was nearly the worst decision during the whole covid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Christ almighty! One of our friends on here spent about 6 weeks arguing that construction actually WASN’T shut down at all. Don’t get him started again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Even the greens are suggesting the mask should go!

The first sign of increased cases and they'll slap the mask mandate back on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The lads in the chipper I go to haven’t worn masks in the past two years. I never wear one in there too. Bit mad, I’m all for it but it’s like they literally had no concern whatsoever over the course of this.

Advertisement