Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Good game all, pleasure posting alongside you since Dec 2019. Take it as we can day by day.

Wonder how that’ll go. Donnelly has been given a proposal apparently and the way forward rests with him.

A NPHET source said they got the feeling “we’re done here”. Leaking til the last too - consistent as ever at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Recommedation is to let the SI lapse on the 28th. In government hands now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Surprised they mentioned public transport in the proposal. Assumed they'd keep that.

I see no reason for the government to keep this for another week, set midnight as when the changes take place and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I'll definitely not be wearing the damned thing, people will quit wearing them now that King Tony has given his permission.

Mehole better keep up with Tony because compliance will fall through the floor now after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bye bye bye NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Does anyone know of any organisation or person who intends to collate information about collateral damage and potentially push for an increase in oversight around emergency measures in future?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

He won't go against Tony, he's too worried about his alrssdy tarnished image.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Of course it could be enforced at an individual business level. There is no right of admission to any private premises.

If a business doesn't want to admit customers except those in blue t-shirts, that is entirely their choice. Same for those wearing masks after the law is changed. I doubt many will make that choice, but it is entirely the business choice to make.

It's my money or my mask, which do you want?

It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Mask wearing will be gone shortly. Covid like all Chinese products lately have a short life span.

Indeed it is that simple. I'm just pointing out, that apart from some well defined grounds in the equality legislation, business can refuse to deal with anyone that they don't want to.

And sometimes it isn't as simple as going elsewhere, because it can happen that no practical alternative exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Well the day has come...it is here. The end. Started posting back in March 2020 and never thought it would be Feb 2022 before it all ended in terms of restrictions. If someone had told me the then what I know now I would have sunk into despair. The highs and lows of this thread has been epic. I am so happy beyond belief that masks are gone...nothing else more to talk about now...hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Quags

Is the party over finally over 😁 Apart from the EU Travel Cert I think Ireland may slowly return to pre covid but with more people wearing masks (which i dont mind as your body your choice)

If someone said to me at Christmas by the end of March it would be 99% over I would not have believed you

anyway its being emosh agreeing/arguing/ignoring and most importantly being confused by statements made by posters

enjoy life as much as use can 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I've been busy today so haven't had time to read too much news. When can we officially / legally go into supermarkets etc unmasked? Not that i'll be going anywhere for another while as I have .........COVID!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Shops can still require you wear a mask, just now the government are saying they are not enforcing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭archfi

I've been reading reports that say once NPHET recommend it, the death of masks (exc hospitals/medical settings) would come in immediately once the govt shift their arse into gear.

And not a moment too soon. I despise the mandate of them.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

I understand, but if a critical mass of people start refusing to wear masks and go elsewhere, then money will eventually talk.

yes most people will stop wearing them immediately I'd say. Not before time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Be interesting to see which shops will virtue signal after this and require masks to be worn in store. These will absolutely be the shops I won’t be going to.

The vast majority of businesses will just drop the requirement, but they are fully within their rights to retain it if they do wish. It is likely a business that pursues such a policy would lose business where no alternate choice exists. But there isn't choice everywhere.

Say for example, your crèche insisted that you wear a mask on entering the premises even though it was no longer required. In theory you could remove your child and take your money elsewhere, but in practice you'd find that nowhere would have space for your child and you'd be left with no service at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I’m sure although NPHET will be disbanded in favour of a smaller group - Dr Holohan & the core group will remain monitoring the situation. Good to see things moving on, delighted the masks will become optional. I’ve no issue with people either wearing them or not. In Asia many continued to wear masks for years after the SARS 1 outbreak.

Very true. I guess at that stage you pick your battles 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Is there any talk of changing the close contact rules? In particular around kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Words can't say how happy I am that there gone.

Hopefully this is it lads and we can move forward together in unity.

Unity. Lol.

The vast majority of citizens just got on with it, and largely did what was asked of them. The other 10% (a cohort significantly over represented online too) don't want nor never did want unity. This was just yet another grievance to hang their hat on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I, for one, welcome (back) our democratically-elected overlords.

I have long been looking forward to the day when this thread would become obsolete. Looks like we're not too far away now. Thanks to one and all, friend and foe, there have been many debates, battles, arguments on here, but now it's time to wave goodbye. Until the next crisis...😬

Advertisement