Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

Lads I'm supposed to be flying out of Dublin tomorrow afternoon around 4ish.

Based on what I'm seeing on the news, I'm starting to think that it could be highly likely I won't be going anywhere.

What do ye guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Possibly worst over by then. As long as your aircraft is there/not delayed getting to Dublin earlier, I don't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ah lads worst news of the storm so far. The other half is flying back from Stansted at 8 in the morning. Looks like she will make it home after all. The weekend just got alot less exciting....... 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'll tell you one thing, she'll be in a fouler after the landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Funniest post yet. A cliché, but a good joke nonetheless. Well done sir.

On the offchance that you're serious, only you as a pilot, and your employer, can make that call.

Chocks away chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The M8 Motorway (Southbound and Northbound) bridge over the Blackwater Valley in Fermoy is to close at 3am at the request of the Gardai for fear of crosswinds overturning vehicles.

Time to batten down the hatches in Munster tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Latest from met

17 February 2022 19:32

Tonight

Early tonight, heavy rain and sleet will move in from the southwest and southeasterly winds will strengthen as Storm Eunice approaches. After midnight rain and sleet will become widespread with falls of snow in places, especially in Connacht and Ulster. It will become stormy overnight in Munster, southeast Leinster and western counties with extremely strong southwest winds, becoming northwesterly with severe and damaging gusts. Risk of coastal flooding at high tide early on Friday morning. Lowest temperatures of 0 to 4 degrees.

Tomorrow

On Friday morning, it will be very windy or stormy over all of Ireland with very strong northwesterly winds and severe and damaging gusts. There will be further falls of rain, sleet and snow with blizzard-like conditions for a time in parts of the north and northwest. Some thunder in places too. Disruption to travel can be expected. In the afternoon, winds will moderate overland and it will be cold with sunny spells and wintry showers. Afternoon temperatures of 2 to 6 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Good for you !

I'm actually flying into Stansted round 08:30 .. and am thinking of not bothering ..

Bound be disruption to eg trains into London etc .. just seems like an all round bad idea .. re potential long delays .. or a smack to the head from a flying billboard while leaving Liverpool station ..

I mean who wants that

Best stay home isn't it ... ?

or i could meet your girl at Stansted ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

It’s really nice to see how the great Irish nation enthuses over a weather event like this one. It makes our sloshing through our winter more palatable. Lol

On my side of the pond, we are getting two days of rain, which started last night and is set to continue through tomorrow. Rain is not unusual here in the winter, but it is not welcome when it is sandwiched between bouts of freezing weather. The worst weather events here are ice storms, but snow is cool! 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Taking off I'd never the problem with a wind event. It is landing and delays to landing that's the problem. Also depends on aircraft type. Boeing or airbus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I like the fact that we're getting winter all in one day. Very efficient 🌨🌪🌧☃️

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I have an elderly relative who has a mid-day hospital appointment in Dublin, has to drive up from Arklow. I'm assuming it would be totally mad for her to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Mate of mate works in Met Eireann. Major upgrade is immanent

My mates Dad works for the council in Clare. Everyone has been told to bring in a sod of turf and a pig tomorrow morning. That's how bad its going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

An upgrade to the radar I can only presume you mean? As it currently shows light to moderate rain here, and there is hardly a drop falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭bassy

its all so quiet,so peaceful and quiet in here :D

the high is gone,the are on the downers now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Raining pretty steadily for an hour and a bit here in cork city, accurate enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I would think they can wait to make a firm decision til tomorrow. It's 1-2 hours drive so I assume they can cancel between 9-10ish if the reports show the stormy conditions persisting or that the roads are dangerous. Be prepared to check news and weather in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Really sorry to read your post, Samsgirl. Graces - if you are reading this - please come back. Your on-the-spot reporting from your offshore island is sorely missed. Don’t allow the bullies get the better of you. I think you have more friends on Boards than you realise. Take care & stay safe. FJ. X

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know the last storm was bad, I remember talking to a girl from Cork she said it was so windy that her hen layed the same egg 5 times 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Wind picking up in cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just a blanket comment, I will probably only be interactive on the technical thread (and in any posted forecast updates) so if anyone had questions or comments earlier in this thread directed my way, I just haven't had time to go through this thread and likely won't, the short version is that I have no reason to disagree with the official forecast as it evolves and the situation will be in large part "nowcast" driven anyway, with fast-moving changes. The one point that might be worth keeping top of mind in the south is that the wind structure near the low centre is going to be very asymmetric, what happens before and during the passage of that low centre (over or near your location) will be a lot gentler than what happens 1-3 hours after it passes. That's when the red alert wind conditions are possible but they won't necessarily hit all locations in the zone indicated, just those exposed to that wind direction (which by then would be WNW).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rain in Galway and temp has dipped to 4C. Fingers crossed it keeps dropping.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing at Kerry Head.

https://fb.watch/beuni25sNK/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain getting heavy and sleety here in West Clare, wind starting to pick up from southeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Advertisement