Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice estate in Bray/Greystones/Enniskerry/north Wicklow to buy a house under €400,000?

Options
  • 14-12-2021 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

In a best case scenario I will be able to sell my home in south Dublin and buy a house in north Wicklow for €400,000. Without getting into the details, it will have to be a three-bedroom home to accommodate my children

Here's my Myhome.ie search under Bray and a number of other places in north Wicklow under €400,000: https://tinyurl.com/bdhh9r8h

What housing estates in Bray/north Wicklow above would be best to raise children in? What estates should I avoid (a pm would be helpful)? I would also be open to buying a fixer-upper or site (including building cost, of course) under this budget.

Thank you for the local knowledge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't have any local knowledge but I would recommend googling each address and "court" or "judge".

It can give an indication of ppl living in the area. Unfortunately a very small number of unsavoury residents can have a disproportionate effect on the living conditions of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

If kids are very young or non existent look at school catchment areas. If catholic or other catchment areas are often based on old church boundaries which means certain addresses can get priority at certain schools. You can ask for a map from each school, or ask at parish office. It can be hard to get them all, but in some areas you may be in catchment for no schools, or only bad schools.

In terms of budget note your 400,000 after legal fees may be 370,000. Houses tend to sell for higher than asking price, do you may be wise bidding on houses 340,000

I know bray fairly well. There are very rough areas, not rough areas, and posh areas.

Avoid all upper dargle road. Even nicer parts have undesirables walking past. Avoid oldcourt avenue, but a few estates away is ok. Larger council estates have more issues. Find out if estate is former council estate.

Near to dart can be expensive and overpriced

Personally I would avoid a fixer upper. You could easily spend 100,000 on renovations and still not have house perfect. Asking prices do not reflect work needed. Houses are cheap for a reason. Many builders are saying 1 year before they start work, work may make house inhabitable for a year due to builder delays.

It typically best value to buy a house completely refurbished and ready to walk in. There may be more bids, so may sell over asking price.

Feel free to pm me houses you are interested in, but it's not worth really looking until you are in a real position to move. Auctioneers won't take your bids or let you look at houses until you are at least sake agreed and often you need a confirmed closing dates. You should look at energy rating of any house and a cost of bills each year, try to get a house that already is well insulated.

It will be hard to get 3 bed semi in Bray in a quiet estate for 400. Get a good surveyor to go with you to house or a builder mate before placing any bids. Some relations may be able to survey house from daft photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anywhere near to Vevay road or boghall road is within walking distance of schools but that means its close to heavy traffic.

I had a quick look at the link. I dont know much about kilcoole or newtown. Public transport to/from both places isnt great.

Corke Abbey. On outskirts of bray. In county dublin. Okish area. Close to new schools and lidl.

Clover Hill. Nice enough area. Not far from buses, lidl or boghall schools, close to N11

Ripley court. Nice enough area. Not far from buses, lidl or boghall schools, close to N11

Killarney park. Nice enough area. Near a few small shops.

Kilgarron park, council estate. NOT dodgy. Up a steep hill from Enniskerry village. No secondary school in village.

Elgin Heights. Nice area. Quite far from town centre but near shops like Supervalu, Lidl, near N11, near shorelibe leisure

Upper dargle road; that has beem on the market years

Sugarloaf; nice area, near tesco and vevay schools and Aldi too.

Mountain View; nice estate - near Aldi and Supervalu. Will be overlooked massively by new apartments at supervalu

Glenthorn - okish area but I wouldnt overly reccomend - depends on where it is the estate. Maybe walk around the estate to see yourself.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell, some real snobbery, avoid all of Upper Dargle Road?

2 km road full of houses ( some lovely ones) just because what you call undesirables walking by?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah

Its really not that bad at all. Parts of it would be ok. Parts terrible for parking. Other than that a few people walking by are harmless.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement