Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

45 years of fast food chains in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You are about to start a war! 😀😀 Move over Russia - Big Mac v Whopper is now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

an as a result we've got fatter and fatter, if only they were around during the famine😐️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I see new Supermacs is flat out every day and evening. Good to see parents looking after their childrens diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think it's clear now that it was a mistake.

The obesity epidemic, which I didn't give much thought to until recently, has created a society of "immunocompromised".

It appears fast food destroys people's health for convenience and temporary pleasure.

Post edited by growleaves on

There needs to be a conversation about this in the dail.

legislation needs to be brought in so parents can only eat fast food and their children once every two weeks.

Eating fast food every day and then getting Chinese on a Saturday night as a treat is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

There was a Pizza Hut at the opposite end of that strip by the late 70s, probably the first one in Ireland.

have you any more info in the Wendy’s opening? Their burgers are great (not frozen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Mr Burger on O'Connell Street ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Obesity epidemic , pfft , I'd like to draw your atten.... oh doorbell , that's my pizza delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Are you sure about KFC? I vaguely recall they weren't actually a proper franchise and a copy cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I only started to use McDonalds over the past few years since they installed self service machines. I find it very expensive so I use the dole menu, aka the saver menu. I usually get 3 or 4 burgers, a trick I found with the Chicken Mayo burgers is to order double lettuce so it makes it bigger. The last chicken mayo burgers I ordered were completely tasteless though. It was like eating cardboard. I can't even afford to go to McDonalds at the moment such is life as a wealthy dole scrounger as the media paint us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Having read through these comments, there are some old people here. A person born in the 80s must be young here never mind the 90s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Wasn't it Pat Grace that brought Kentucky Fried Chicken to Ireland? That was its official title, before it morphed into KFC.

There was then some ownership and franchise arguments that resulted in Pat and the Colonel parting ways and resulting in a new chain of Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken... hinting strongly that he had the secret recipe in his outlets too.

On the Burgerland Baggot street and Sunshine Radio connection (mentioned previously)..... Sunshine had Sales and Admin offices above the burger shop, but the studio was in The Sands Hotel, Portmarnock and I don't think Mark Cagney ever worked for Sunshine .. as far as I remember, his pirate radio career was with Cork stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Pat Grace got the official Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise for Ireland. He then had a falling out with them after Colonel Sanders died and changed the name to Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken and claimed he used the original recipe. Seems he had a good rapport with the colonel himself.

Full story here https://gracesperfectblend.com/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I worked there (when it was a Burgerland). The New York New York chain had three outlets at one point, Baggot Street, Mary Street and Talbot St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The lucky Hamburgers!!

(I say that as somebody who has never eaten a burger.)

• Advertisement

I totally forgot about New York New York. Still surprised Captain America is still a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Used to spend a lot of time hanging out in Wonder Burger on Westmorland Street in the late 80s, early 90s. Used to be a bit of a flash point between the "rockers" and the "ravers" - there were always fights going on.

I think they had a branch in Northside Shopping Centre. Maybe others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Maybe you're thinking of Killester Fried Chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Did Nandos ever make it to Ireland? Used to love it when I was in Australia, not top shelf by any means but I would put that sauce on my tooth brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

We all lost a part of ourselves the day Little Chef went under….

Just kidding it was shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There are 12 in Ireland:

Cork - Academy Street

Cork - Mahon Point

Dublin - Blanchardstown

Dublin - Liffey Valley

Dublin - Mary Street

Dublin - Santry

Dublin - St Andrew's Street

Dublin - Swords

Dun Laoghaire

Dundrum

Newbridge

Tallaght

I haven't tried it yet, even though there's one in my town now.

EDIT: I just looked at the menu, and I won't be trying it. I despise the whole idea of chicken wings!

Post edited by Badly Drunk Boy on

anyone here from down Limerick way? who remembers Burgerland?? sends a shiver down my stomach just thinking of the place😖

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Burgerland was the dogs bollox back in the day. Was the Limerick one near HMV? If so I can officially say I was in the three cities of Burgerland. Dublin, Waterford and Limerick. Galway was obviously on the brink of Supermacs!😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

45 years of high fat, sugars and cholesterol. Followed by 45 years of obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Not something to be cheering about.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Burgerland was absolutely vile. As a kid back in the 1980s I was in the one in Dublin (O’Connell St) and the one in Limerick and in both the burgers were really horrible.

McDonalds was the “gold standard” of fast food in my childhood and hearing from my parents that we were going to MaccyDs as a treat would have me thrilled! 😁

For sure there are serious problems both here and in the UK with obesity and bad eating habits - but in fairness many fast food outlets are evolving their menus, offering more healthy/plant-based options in response to customer demand - and all those convenience store delis that offer chicken fillet and breakfast rolls and sandwiches etc. slathered in butter and mayonnaise must be a major contributory factor to the problem.

Germany has 1,500 McDonalds outlets and they have been present in the country since 1971 (the second country in Europe after Holland) - yet the Germans are considered to have significantly lower obesity rates than the UK or Ireland - so other factors are at play here in addition to just the availability of fast food.

Fast food is here to stay, but it is evolving in terms of the food it serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, started by the Grimes brothers in the late 70's/early '80's. I think they were originally from Castlebar. I worked for them for a while in the mid 1980;s and recall when they were starting up the Dundalk branch.

It was on William Street, where Lifestyle Sports is now.

You're missing Tralee and Cork from your list by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You're confusing fast food with fat food. Italian chippers don't do fast food. You have to order and wait around for ages while they cook it. That's not fast food. Fast food is already cooked. You order and it's pulled off the shelf already cooked and it's bagged for you. The way it should be - no waiting about. The clue is in the name!

Would you not just buy a slow cooker, house keepers cut on 6 hours high. Chipper food is bad.

There was a small chain in Cork called Hi Burger that still exists as the Hi Café. I think they were anchor tenants in the Wilton Shopping Centre and Merchant's Quay.

Abrakebabra is the other big one that's has been around since 1982 and there are possibly a few others too.

The other unusual one, which was basically a fast food in its old format was La Croissanterie. It was a French franchise and had locations in Dublin and Cork and possibly elsewhere in the 1980s. They were actually quite tasty from what I remember of them - cheesy croissants heated in some kind of speed oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I loved la crossanterie. Bad memories of eating abrakebabra cheese chips and burger sauce on Westmoreland street waiting for the nitelink :D

Anyone remember a fast food place in Rathmines in late 80s/early 90s beside Swan centre? It may have been called Flames and there was a picture of a devil with a pitchfork! I remember going there a lot as a young wan after visiting my grandparents in Harold's cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Anyone remember Krank's Corner in Thomas Street Limerick? It's gone about 15 years although it was a popular destination for late night drunks craving fast food at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The 1st McDonald's drive thru in Europe was in the Nutgrove shopping centre in Dublin. Opened in 1985

Burgerland also had two/three outlets in Cork City. Queens OldCastle was one, Grand Parade too i think.

Never made the Limerick Burgerland, but it worked in two Dublin ones, Baggot Street and PowerCourt TownHouse Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

La Crossanterie chicken bechamel is seriously the stuff of dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Inevitable - we're not an island! (Well, ok, techincally we are, but you know what I mean....!) - you can get Big Macs in Moscow now, and they held out for anouther 20 years!

I remember going with my parents every Saturday monring to the Burderland in Lower Baggot street - my first childhood "junk" food!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lol me too. Though it may have been mid - late 80’s. Used to go in on the way home from Blooms before the last bus pulled into Fleet Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

it's the same with high end restaurants. Would you like some butter with your salt

• Advertisement

I know I sound like an old fart but the older I get the more I absolutely love the Italian Dublin chippers. Romayo's, Aprile's, Luigis etc.

Smoked cod + chips is your only man.

As a kid though I was drawn to the shiny glossy colourful McD's and I still frequent from time to time if drunk abroad.

and iirc Pat Grace also sponsored the League of Ireland....it was known as the Pat Grace Famous Fried Chicken League☺️

Hey, I worked there for a year or two, in the early 80's...

(Baggot Street, Not Moscow).

If you're just ordering a bag of chips they've piles of them already cooked

Tell me you only ever go to crap chippers without telling me you only go to crap chippers. Chips should always, always always be cooked fresh from start to finish. You can usually tell how good/bad your chips are going to be, depending on how long they take to cook them. If there's a big crowd ahead of you, then there'll be a fairly high turnover of the basics so they'll be fresh enough that it won't matter. But I've refused chips before when you walk into a place with nobody in it, order chips and they're handed to you 10 seconds later. "It's okay, I'll wait for fresh chips, thanks".

What you're talking about in your post were known as 'reheats' when we were younger and nobody used the chippers who sold reheats. It's a particular bugbear of mine that, in Irish chippers, fish etc. isn't freshly battered before it's cooked. Pretty much any NI or UK chipper will batter and cook your food before your eyes. This should be the norm, but I don't think I've ever seen it own here.

On the subject of legendary fast food places.....there was a chipper in Ballybough near the car showroom place that was a tiny one-room place called "Mr T's takeaway". He would batter anything you brought in, for a price, and deep fry it for you. Big hockey-puck slices of white pudding in batter were all the rage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement