Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware switching TO Electric Ireland (and then changing your mind)

Options
  • 17-02-2022 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Like a lot of folks, I have been shopping around to find a cheaper Energy supplier.

Tried Bonkers, got a quote from Electric Ireland, then my current supplier made a much more attractive counter offer, which I accepted. All within the cooling off period.

I have tried calling the EI customer line but no one answers. Gave up after 30mins.

Emails to the EI support address are met with "you need to print our a form, fill it out and physically send it to us, otherwise ..."

Short of buying a printer, any suggestion how to get out of their grasp?

Thanks,

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You simply write to them.

In any case the current supplier does the work.

Surprised you got a better offer. I switched from energia to ei and energia wouldn't match ei net rate. They were also about €60 higher for standing charges and the standard rate was substantially higher than ei.

Basically ei 26% off offer was 6% cheaper than energias 40% off offer because energia have an extremely high standard rate of almost 32c.

Not sure about sse or panda or bord gais rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I dif the same recently. I managed to submit cancellation request following the instructions in their welcome mail for cooling off period cancelling.

I think I called the number listed. If within the 14 days they will accept cancellation over phone.

In the welcome mail I received there was the paragraph :

"There is also a 14-day cooling off period after signing up to one of our price plans. If you change your mind during this time you can cancel your switch here ."

On cancellation site:

How to Cancel

If you would like to cancel within your cooling-off period, please call 1800 807 807 or complete the cancellation form.

Online cancellation form: https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/online-services/moving-home/moving-out-closing-account

It still took me 3 months for them to actually close my account and refund me (months of equaliser direct debits) even though they never actually provided any service.

I was moving from bord gais. BG offered better discounted rates, with free electricity 9-5 every Saturday.

I'm actually in the process of shopping around since yesterday so its good to hear views! Currently with Electric Ireland but off contract. Looking at switching to Bord Gais (Dual fuel). Energia seem to have the best reviews on TrustPilot ............and I've heard good things about Iberdrola. Any advice or other people's experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

Thanks but I don't have a printer and no one will answer their 1800 807 807 number.

(sigh)

I appreciate the response.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

Op, perhaps pop to the library to do your printing.

'free electricity 9-5 every Saturday'

Wow @DavyD_83, I never heard of this type promo offer before.

Hmm, few washing machine loads, dishwasher, shower, heat a tank of water, cook a couple of meals in the oven. Would be fun thinking of ways to get the most from it

Yep, it's handy, is allows to choose Sat or Sunday, so whichever suits you best. The catch (there's always one) is that they switch you to smart tarrif for electricity meaning you have 3 different rates (peak, off-peak, night, I think...) it's not that big a deal, but was annoyed because this was never mentioned when sold the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

Hi Folks,

So I tried to call EI again on their 1800 number. Busy Busy Busy.... BUT.........Seems all I had to do was request a CALL BACK.

I spoke to a very nice Electric Ireland customer representative and she cancelled my Change Request "JUST IN TIME" (e.g within 14 days).

Thanks for your help.

S

Advertisement