Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the issue with money creation via methods such as qe, is that these policies are actually designed to inflate asset prices, this was known prior to their activation! this new money should have been used for 'productive purposes', by creating new assets, such as new properties etc, we re basically now fcuked, with rapidly rising wealth inequality, and serious supply issues in some of our most critical needs, expect mayhem ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Do you not see the double standard of preaching to people that it's OK that they'll never own a house while you have at least three?

I personally got 3 properties externally insulated when the grants first came out over 10 years ago. 

I also have to laugh at the comments "what happens in another country isn't relevant here", "this could never be done" or it's not constitutional. Why don't you just be honest and state your feelings on the subject, i.e. that you're against rent caps and controls and not make up such claims that it can't be done. So house owning is fantasy but fixing the renting crisis is also a fantasy.

Finally Ray you say this:

Where do you think they will go? Europe has a housing crisis as does many popular North American places people tend to go. Australia also has a housing problem.

So to conclude only you who was lucky enough to own houses when it was easier to do so should own a house, young people should give up the idea, renting is a nightmare in Ireland and furthermore there's no where for them go to because every country is the same.

Well I say that this is b*llox. I live outside of Berlin and pay 570 per month warm rent in a nice apartment. I have lived in the US, England and Germany and nowhere did I pay such a high proportion of my wage in rent as in Ireland. In every country I have lived people have remarked that Ireland is unaffordable. I work in the biotech field and I am quite lucky that the wages are quite high. People working in the field with me have stated that they have lived in Ireland and the amount of money you spent of rent makes it completely unfeasible. Colleagues in the pharmaceutical industry state the same. People turn down jobs to work in Dublin or even other parts of Ireland because of unaffordable, overinflated housing and rents based on pure greed. Also the landlords I have encountered in Ireland were by far the least professional.

In short Ray it's very easy for a man who bought houses when it was far easier to buy houses to tell people to suck it up when it comes to renting and owning a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hustlenbustle

Going back to the original post by the OP _ I dont believe it's fair that young couples trying to get on the property ladder are only able to buy former council properties while SW tenants are handed new modern homes. Doesnt seem right at all. Neither _ in my opinion _ is it ok to find yourself buying a house and paying a big mortgage cor years on end to find the person next door is getting their house for free!

I see they're going to have a debate on taking SW rent at source should have been done long ago. Many dont pay, they know they'll get away with it. Already the bleeding hearts are objecting. The very least is rent should be paid.

I think as regards housing this country is gone nuts. You can sit back, never work, have child after child and you seem to be everyone else's responsibility _ never your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

52% tax.. that old chestnut?

Rent is taxed just like other income, depends on your tax bracket.

The housing crisis is mainly driven by huge immigration trends.

Consider this analogy...

If you start feeding pigeons on Sackville Street, the birds will flock from all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Nice stalking.

Did I say I owned all 3 properties that were insulated? Thinking people have right on property ownership and are protected by laws and our constitution doesn't seem to me in any way to be a double standard. Can you explain how it is?

I think the RPZ is a terrible system and not true rent control but a blunt instument that punished good landlords and rewarded those who maximized rent. It has caused landlords to sell up and leave the market. So yes I think it is bad and should be removed. Do you want more or less rentals?

You know nothing about how I own my property and have no idea if it was easier or harder than somebody buying today. What is the stamp duty people pay now, what was the mortgage rate I paid how much work did I need to put into the property etc... You are completely clueless on this and have no reasonable way to say it was easy or easier.

Why is rental property in Germany cheaper and renting is more popular? It is to do with history, they destroyed huge chunks of property with a lot of their population dead. International money was pumped into Germany and no profit housing was set up. They got the land and money for free and were able to keep that going. So how this is relevant to Ireland now certainly is worth pointing out how the same doesn't apply here. It can't apply because it didn't happen in the past.

Where outside Berlin are you, former soviet building? Don't you have to provide your own kitchen and repaint when leaving rented property in Germany. Why aren't you advocating the same apply here?

In conclusion you made massive assumptions, very unclear points, ignored huge differences in history and your friend circle is not a good way to gauge an entire market. You really aren't addressing me but how you feel about the entire market which is very misdirected. I have made sure people have a good standard of rental and made sure a service that was needed was available. My family have rented out property for over 40 years with one tenant for 35years. Do you want to go scream at these people about how I am horrible person for making sure they had a nice home.

Why aren't you honest that you hate landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

He's hardly "stalking" you, in fairness, you've over 6.5k posts here, I recognise you from reading previous threads. Yourself and about five other posters in the accomodation thread make up about 90% of the comments on housing on this platform.

The general theme of your posts is indeed one of "Housing for me but not for thee". A landlord who owns multiple properties telling aspiring buyers they should be okay with never owning but also that the renting situation can't be fixed. Sure.

Actually it isn't. Lots of expenses a company can deduct do not apply to rental income. They also added PRSI to it recently which was new.

The main point is other rentals do not pay any tax on the rental income.

Any extra €1 cost to the landlord means over €2 needs to be added to the rent to keep the same monetary income but actually reduces your return percentage. You can't increase the rent in RPZ but other business can increase prices when costs go up. All the increase on living expense are there on a rental for things like insurance, electricity, materials, labour etc.. So no it is not taxed just like any other income there is a huge barrier diminishing rental income to the landlord for the states benefit. What other industry do we do this on or which one do you think we should do next? I mean the pub industry was given a boost in profits with the minimum alcohol pricing forcing them to make extra profit on off license trade while not allowing competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

You are correct that it has never happened before. The problem is that for many stuck in rental accommodation the chances of getting out of it are worse now and conditions while renting have worsened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Advertisement

Why not? It is a business and treated differently to other businesses. It is treated differently to investment. You said it was like any other income it isn't and has further restrictions than other income. You can just acknowledge the facts

No it's not. There are way mote factors then immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Never understood how rents are so high. It’s not even your property. I know be based on demand and supply, but come on, you know landlords are not paying a thousand + a month for their house. Paying the bank, this amount. Clearly see just greed involved and landlords are renting and earning a bit extra on the side for themselves and laughing because its property they own. No downside for them rent hikes. You should only be paying what they give the bank and maybe 10 percent extra on top ( there should be regulation for renters) to see what the landlord pays the bank off a month.

Can easily be fixed with transparency. Landlords business how long they took a loan out for. End of the day an asset for them and renters is just a place to stay and live in. Shouldn’t be on the renters to pay the landlord's bank loan back quicker. That’s a major flaw in this rent and landlord debate. The landlord has a set fee and interest to pay back every month, renter should only pay a certain amount of it each month to the landlord. You could come to some agreement written into law no way around it.. Renter agrees to pay 60 70, 80 percent of his month repayment. The reality a landlord should not be buying a house or renting it, can’t pay off least 10 to 20 percent of a loan of it each month. Fairer solution for everyone in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

After the downturn many landlords were getting less in rent than their monthly loan repayments and the introduction of the RPZ locked them in that situation. They are the ones who as soon as they were out of negative equity decided to sell up.

Downturns rarely last long. Reason have little sympathy for that is you got the loan off the bank based on your income. You renting to have a substitute not paying the loan back yourself.

Say the loan is 500 Euros + interest a month over 30 years. About 180,000 Euros.

You asking for 800 or 1000 a month than on advertisements for the same house.. There is something wrong when a renter pays almost double. 

• Advertisement

Maybe it was change of circumstances (changes to taxation policy being one of them), maybe they were overstretched in the first place, but at the end of the day landlords are not charities. They see the opportunity cost of having to subsidise loan repayments from their other income, and as a result decide to cash in and put the money elsewhere. Basic economics. To you it is good riddance to them, but these landlords disproportionately represented lets at the lower end of the cost spectrum, and the properties they sell will never again be let for the price the evicted tenants were paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

You obviously don't understand how much landlords have to pay out. For most small landlords the rent they receive doesn't even cover all they have to pay out - they have to use personal funds to cover all the costs. They have to pay mortgage, repairs and refurbishments, compliance fees, management fees and tax ( that thing everyone forgets about). Also remember it is only the interest portion of the loan repayment that is tax deductible which is usually a small portion of the repayment. The capital portion is not tax deductible.

You are taking a very simplistic view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

That's the way it should be but my daughter and partner have to replace and maintain everything in there rented property. 3 rent increases in the last year. Can't argue or make a fuss as they have been told that landlord will sell or end tenancy. I have told them many times to leave but the reality is that there is no where else to rent. It's not always as it should be.

By the way they both work and are not eligible for social or council housing and are paying more in rent than they would for a mortgage that they can't get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

When you say the renter pays almost double. Thats before tax and fees (Insurance, maintenance etc) are deducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

The govt ARE obliged to provide for them.

You can only really go on the evidence you see before your own eyes. Not that I'm blaming anyone on welfare, as the system has been designed to encourage people to live this way.

And you would also have to conclude that none of this is some sort of mistake that we've just stumbled into as a society. We've gotten to this point through very deliberate govt actions and policies.

The writing should very much be on the wall, if you're a young working couple in this country. Our govt does not really value or support you. They don't want you to buy a decent affordable house and start a family. If they did, they would have policies and systems in place that promote this.

That's the biggest fallacy about this whole mess: that we have somehow gotten here by mistake, through misjudgments and miscalculations. I don't buy it for a second, it's all been completely deliberate.

Which is why I have no confidence in our leadership, that there will be any fundamental change going forward. The motivation simply isn't there to change this dynamic.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement

Can you name other businesses that have such control? It is actually none of your business what profit a landlord makes or to determine how much profit they are allowed. If the landlord has no mortgage then the should only charge the tenant the cost of expenses and a minor profit?

I hope you are 12 or below because only a child could actually think that is reasonable or practical in any way.

So the landlord has to do a major repair and has no money to fix it they just take out a loan and put up the rent until it is paid off and reduce it afterwards? Do you think shops that own their premises should charge less for food?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

They have an asset at the end. If they came out with zero after the mortgage, the taxes and charges, someone else would still have paid off against an asset for them that they can then sell to release profit at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Very few houses will have rent covering the landlords cost of mortgage.

Why? because Landlord has to pay ~50% of that rent in tax straight off the bat. Then you pay insurance, pay for maintenance, property taxes, management fees. It's far from rolling in money, if it was that good then far more small landlords would be entering the market rather than leaving. Currently this country is hemorrhaging small landlords, only institutionals are growing in number.

I think a lot of the population in Ireland don't understand that being a landlord is a business. They don't like the idea of a landlord making a profit. I can understand the mentality but until we come up with a different system, that's the way it works. This feeds through to certain politicians who see they can score some points by pandering to this.

I remember when the LPT came in I mentioned to my dad that this would put rents up. Nope, he said. It's not to be put onto the renter, the owner has to pay. I asked him what other business in the world doesn't put up prices when their costs of providing their service goes up. Politicians could say what they wanted but coincidentally the rents would rise in following years.

Absolutely renting out a property is critical to the country. But it should be supported by the government rather than placing restrictions over the people providing the service. It should be totally and fairly regulated, and if a landlord or a renter breaks the rules they should be dealt with swiftly. Anybody reading this thread could come up with some rules in 10 minutes to make it fairer to both sides and remove some risk for both sides. I don't know why this is resisted by politicians.

I looked into buying a property to rent out about 10 years ago. After doing the sums, the risk / reward wasn't worth it for me so I invested elsewhere. The conditions seem to be worse now for landlords than they were back then. I can understand how somebody can become an accidental landlord. But somebody doing it purposefully would be mad (in my opinion) to do it, or should have a rock solid plan for the property.

The government seems to be favouring large investors who will only go where the reward is greatest. Then we're all left wondering why availability of smaller, suburban places is going down

A shop could close and sell off it's asset at anytime too but then you have no shops. You want to reduce the number of rentals and force rent up then you have the right idea.

Lots of people buy property to rent out as their pension fund not a lump some payment. Why should they not be allowed do that? Lots of pensioners currently rely on rent as their pension because the sate wouldn't allow them a state pension even though the paid PRSI. Rental income is a good pension as it tracks with inflation. Would you rather large companies make this money instead of ordinary citizens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I guess if they were investigated you would expect something to be done.

But then again this is a country who is going to give free houses and social welfare to people who lived here illegally.

We seem to reward people who break rules over here and screw people who try make an honest living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing to be done if the investigation gave them the all clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Expensive money is worth more than cheap money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

Isn’t the issue that a small-time landlord pays half the rental income back to the state in tax, yet a REIT pays no corporation tax, despite landlording being, as Ray Palmer puts it, a business, an “industry”.

So why don’t REITs pay corporation tax or CGT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Inward investment always good rabble rabble, nothing would be built without them hurr durr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They must not be much effort put into the investigations.

Although I think you are allowed someone stay over a few nights a week, so it's probably not the easiest thing to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yeah but that still doesn't mean they should rent it out cheap. Also they may make a profit if they choose to sell - they may also lose money by selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

Fairly sure this is just because BTL mortgage rates are so high at c.4%. Gross rental yields before costs are 6%+ (ignoring potential capital appreciation), before taxes and costs etc. are top notch.

The only reason a landlord wouldn't be making money hand over fist is because the person loaning them the money (the bank) is getting all of the benefit.

If you can fund the purchase of a rental out of your own money then the returns are incredibly attractive. 4-5% gross yield (6% less costs) + capital appreciation on top - not many investments can match that

if you borrowed the money off the bank, then you're nothing but a middle man/vessel by which the bank is investing (very profitably) in that rental. Why should an individual in such circumstance expect to make significant profit though? Pretty much any joe soap can do it. When you're not providing the capital and you're outsourcing the handling of it to a letting agent, then what exactly are you providing? Not a whole lot therefore profits will rightly go to the capital provider (bank) plus service provider (letting agent).

Gross yield of 6% doesnt mean much when you are subject to 50% marginal rate of tax on it + then mortgage payments. Investing in property is a risk - just as some people put their money in a safe pension fund, others invest in property as a pension. It's riskier, but people do it (did it, not much anymore) because with great risk comes great reward.

Now not so much, otherwise why would the market be hemorrhaging landlords if its so lucrative an investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Further to your point, I have 150k sitting in cash and shares right now. I would be very happy to invest that in building a rental property if I felt it was worth the risk. It is absolutely not. I'll get better returns sticking my capital in an index tracker and have no risk of someone trashing my investment, overholding it, having to pay them to leave, having to fix ovens or lights or whatever. I think you would have to be nuts to be a landlord in this country unless doing it at scale (you know, those funds that everyone hates). At least that way you can spread your risk.

So instead of building a rental property to house a family, increasing the supply of property an iota and driving down prices for renters and buyers, the smart thing for me to do with my resources is basically anything else.

That's the reality.

You describe precisely why buying to let does not make money yet that is how rentals have been funded in Ireland for decades. Maybe you are right it is a terrible investment but that is the situation many landlords are in. If that is where they are then that is how rents are calculated to get a profit even if that is only by having the asset at the end. Do you think companies don't borrow to set-up?

Then you say if the bought with cash they are doing well. The thing is you are ignore additional charges that were added to rental costs by the government when people were already in the market and rising costs. So in the life time of 15 years of a rental a landlord got extra charges added LPT, PRTB registration, PRSI and USC to that rental income. So what happens to a 4-6% return there along with the rent drops that were happening back then?

Rents went up when they could to cater for those additional costs and losses over the years like any business would. The the government caps the rent and tells you no matter what you can't increase your rent even if your expenses have gone up.

You then have a party likely to get into power saying they will force landlords to continue to rent and will devalue your property just because you provide a service.

No wonder landlords are leaving the market

All investments are taxed in such a manner. Equities for example dividends are at a marginal rate + gains at 33%. Not many investment firms are projecting gross yields above 6% including capital appreciation so the return on property even with the tax rate looks very attractive. The mortgage bit is a non issue, if you can't put up your own funds to buy it then your return isn't going to be as good because it's someone else's money at risk, simple. If you can't afford to buy a property with your own money, buy a REIT instead.

Nobody borrows a few 100 grand from the bank to throw into the S&P 500 because the rate they'd charge you would make it unattractive, same will hold for property.

The risk bit is a little less clear. As was seen in the crisis, when stuff really goes south and negative equity hits, rents plummet...the mortgage quickly stops being paid and it's ultimately the bank who takes the bath..hence the 4% mortgage rate. So again, the bank takes the risk, the bank makes the gain...the "landlord", an intermediary putting the banks money to work hopefully taking a sliver off the top and then some capital gains (of which there has been plenty of late!)

Small landlords leaving the market and REITS coming in is nothing but the rental market moving towards a more efficient state. I'm not saying whether it's desirable or otherwise but completely inevitable.

Renting as a business model is a simple one. You provide an initial capital investment and some ongoing management/maintenance in return for a monthly cashflow. In the typical small landlord model, the landlord provides neither of these (aside from a small deposit). Just a middleman for the banks money to go to work. Of course over time the inefficiency of the man in the middle will get cut out by a one stop-shop of capital + management (with economies of scale) i.e. a REIT.

Landlords significantly over estimate their contribution to the creation of value.

If you could afford to buy an apartment then your returns relative to risk would compare very favourably with an equity fund (even parking for a second that you can't invest in an index tracker as an irish citizen due to the insane tax implications). In fact, investment models need to adjusted at the minute because the risk-reward on property is so good that traditional optimization tools want to bundle everything into it (which generally isn't suitable due to liquidity constraints). Your point about diversification is very well made, and it's why investing in REITs makes way more sense to get property exposure in a diversified way when you're not wealthy.

What you've described is just a fact of life - you're not wealthy enough to individually get involved in the provision of housing in an efficient manner. I don't see this as a problem that a system can fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Well I can invest in an index tracker - but the taxation of them is indeed a bit nuts. The point of my post though is simply to point out that investing in property at small scale is in no way an attractive investment at present, which must have implications for the supply of housing.

Investing in lots of stuff isn't attractive with small money - hospitals, roads etc. Which is where either the government steps up or big business gets involved to do it efficiently. REITs are a great way for small investors being able to collectively get exposure to a diversified property portfolio with a good running yield.

There's no real solution here. Anytime you have joe public coming along and having a whirl at being a landlord using someone else's money is clearly going to be inefficient. Inefficiencies always get stamped out.

Even if you went and did what all the the landlords want - "0% income tax on property"...money would plough in from all corners of the globe (mine included) to try to get this mythical 6% running yield with 0 tax...and so prices would rise massively...and the yield would fall...and we'd be back to the start again with the only winners being existing landlords and property/land owners. Suggestions like this (not saying you did suggest, but many do) just come from those with 0 grasp of basic economics.

Small landlords leaving the market and REITS coming in is nothing but the rental market moving towards a more efficient state.

Efficient is not good for the state and rarely good for the consumer, at least as far as rentals go.

Efficient REITs pay no tax on rental incomes, and as many investors are not resident in Ireland the dividends are not taxed either. Then for the consumer, well these REITs have yield to make, they will up prices at any opportunity. And they are very unwilling to drop prices, even if it means leaving some units empty. Its better that market rents are held higher than letting them drop, due to RPZ rules and the valuation of rental property being based on the achievable rent (as % yield), lowering the charged rent even temporarily will cause the asset price to drop.

Market price on an apartment might be based around a 6% yield - if the rent drops, well then the valuations will too as any prospective buyers will have a minimum yield they target. So the price they are willing to pay for the apartment drops too. Small landlords cannot get away with this, institutionals can.

Is there no issue with the government interfering? The different tax rates on smaller landlords and REITs isn't an inefficiency? It seems like a benefit to one part of the competition. Obviously they get benefits with economies of scale but is tax one of the benefits that they should get?

I'm not sure if we want REITs squeezing every drop of profit out of renters as they work towards being efficient. That's a different issue though. For the direction we're going the government seems to be favouring the bigger businesses with a result that the smaller "inefficient" landlords that could function previously are moving on.

We did have inefficient landlords leaving tenants alone but with recent RPZs they have to be efficient and raise the rent 4% a year if their peers are doing so or else lose out in the future.

REITs don't pay taxes because the owners of stakes in REITs do. The same way equity funds can buy and sell without taxes because the tax event occurs when the owner of the fund buys or sells. If the investment vehicle had to pay tax within itself, it would be getting taxed twice and be completely un-investable and cease to exist.

Your point around profits to foreign investors is understandable and nationalistic, but it's in keeping with the global financialization of everything. Sure Ireland could ban non-irish citizens from investing in Irish REITS...but how would we feel if the US then decided to stop Irish people investing in US equities? Everything becomes very tribal and insular and I don't know if that's a desirable thing - I'd certainly miss my access to US Equities...

On the leaving vacant thing. Perhaps that is true, although I'm pretty sure it's overegged as a REIT generating no income wouldn't last long. It could be an unintended consequence of negative interest rates where leaving something idol isn't such a terrible thing anymore. The solution to that is simple though - an extremely heavy and relentlessly enforced vacancy tax. How that hasn't come in yet is a national disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

From a renter's perspective the ideal scenario would probably be a market dominated by large institutional investors. Not good for people trying to get on the housing ladder initially, but good in the long run in that these large investors would have access to far more money to invest in the market (thereby increasing supply) than small amateur landlords.

• Advertisement

Get some rental property over in the UK. My parents over there are in that game and one of the delights is mandatory eviction upon three months rent arrears. No sob stories they are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The government has pledged to spend billions on building social housing or providing housing subsidys to people on lower incomes . The problem is no one knows if they can build houses at the scale to effect the housing crisis . The market needs 15 to 20 k housing units built every year to keep up with demand. Most of the market is governed by simple economics low supply high demand equals rising prices Young people will vote for the party that promises to tackle the housing crisis in future elections , this is not just an Irish problem. In America its becoming more difficult and expensive for ordinary working people or young people to buy a house .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Problem is multi faceted

Planning takes too long and allows too much pandering to crank objectors ,needs serious reform

Height restrictions, these are often supported by public left wing commentators like Frank Mcdonald

Onerous building refs, while nobody would desire pitiful low standards like in New Zealand, houses today are too expensive to build due to excessively high standards, local authority builds should be constructed to a cheaper more modest standard but of course this would be opposed by the likes of SF and PBP as an example of housing apartheid

Landlords leaving the market, tenant protection is now too strong and protects rogue tenants for years ,this is driving out small landlords and again the left wing parties support the policies contributing to this

If the government are to embark on a mass building programme, they should set up a sort of sovereign fund whereby savings holders are invited to invest in BTL through a government controlled fund ,there are Billions sitting on deposit earning nothing, if these savers saw a potential return of say 3.5 % , there is no reason funding could not be generated, I honestly think a lot of people would be civic minded enough to partake ,not before reforms were put in place to both evict rogue tenants and force council tenants to pay outstanding rent

Unfortunately the left wing parties oppose any sort of consequences for deadbeat tenants, beit private or local authority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

We need more houses not change of ownership of already occupied houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm reading that we cannot build enough new houses to solve the problem quickly. My suggestion is to use vacant houses, not ones which are already occupied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement