Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Nothing much happening in South Tipp, wind picked up a bit at about 1:30 but it's all quiet again now.

Not even raining at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Interesting seeing the size of the Atlantic depression feeding the current storm

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=0.00,0.00,177

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Hang in there Dazler97. Started off very wet here but the snow when it came did eventually find its mark. Has eased off a little here in the last while but hopefully the wraparound will deliver the goods for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@Tyrone212 cheers for the website, hadn't realised there were cameras on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Noise of the wind here in Dublin keeping me awake and then see all you are up too !😁

Raining pretty heavy earlier but more gusty now . No sign of snow but the sky is a peculiar light colour so would not be surprised if there is a bit of wet snow on the way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Weird. Can't hear a thing here in Bray except for what I would describe as a few pitter patters of torrential drizzle (as opposed to the roar on the roof when its lashing bigger rain drops) Wicklow mountains taking the sting out of the wind so far for Bray I wonder? (I know the main event isn't till tomorrow morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Rain just started lashing the windows here. Wind picking up too after a quiet period the last while.

Mid Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Heavy snow here in Ballybofey right now, about 2 inches so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Looks very heavy between ballybofey and donegal town at lough mourne. Sustained wind 25kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very quiet in Waterford for the last 15 or so. Almost eerie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

In Cork City was sound asleep until about 15 minutes ago, suddenly felt breathless, as if pressure suddenly dropped like a stone. Such a bizarre feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Snow beginning to accumulate in Bundoran right on the coast. That's it for me for tonight. I'm missing out on the snow, back in ireland next week. Enjoy the snow those who have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Very still and calm here tonight under Muckish mountain in the NW, stayed up for a bit of lamppost watching, big heavy flakes coming down and sticking now, we’re by the sea so we don’t normally ever get that very often. A good pasting coming down ❄️☃️☃️❄️ Woohoo the excitement is building!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was very windy in Cork City centre about an hour ago. Then calmed down again, but I can hear another band of rain and wind just starting up now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Still coming down heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just rain in navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Wind starting to pick up now in Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Life expectancy must be very, very short up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just woke up, no snow here and precipitation has stopped now. I guess I was just south of where of where the snow line is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hour into warning zone, system seemed to stall a little offshore (could be imagining that) so it's breezy, clear and dry at the moment in galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Dazler97

We were sadly but it's grand we have snow later on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Primary low appears to be about 50 miles southwest of Valentia and heading for a trip along the south coast. Would estimate 0600-0900h for the strongest winds in Kerry, 0700-0930 in Cork, 0800-1000 in Waterford and 0830-1030 in Wexford. There will be some moderately strong gusts before that ahead of the low, but these stronger winds from the west veering northwest will hit after the low passes. A bit further north the increase in wind speed will be somewhat more gradual as there will be less of a direct influence of the core, but would say Clare and Limerick likely to see peak winds around 0800-1000, pretty similar for south Tipps, Kilkenny and Carlow. Anything north of those counties will have an even more gradual increase to a peak around mid-day from the general sweep of the northwest wraparound.

Thinking that in that phase, the snow currently confined to north and northwest fringes will begin to rebound back to the southeast, with some mixing possible at lower elevations. Almost anywhere could eventually get into some heavy snow showers but there will be partial melting on roads, more stickage on grassy surfaces. Some thundery showers and heavy hail showers in the mix at that time.

Stay safe, you're always more exposed to a risk of bad weather when travelling as opposed to staying in one location. Any given long distance trip today would inevitably run into some bad weather conditions somewhere along the route.

According to Met Eireann that's the end of the Snow in Westport. Wind and rain incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MT is 8am ending to ME warning likely to be extended for Cork/Kerry? Does seem to end much earlier earlier than your scheduled times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Stop attention seeking. You didn't feel breathless from storm, its your anxiety. We're all in the same boat. Man up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

• Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's not exactly Hurricane Charlie, bit of load of rubbish so far. Floods in Galway and Cork at 6am with high tide will be the highlight of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Hypericum

Well feck them and their orange snow warning.

Just after looking out to a good layer of snow and it's just the white snow as usual 🤨

Advertisement