Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭straight

I had to bring one home 2 years ago. No bid. Kept him in quarantine and took him back the following week and got a good price. As far as I can see the guys buying them are pretty clueless alot of the time. My neighbour puts his calves on ad lib milk and gets a huge price in the mart. Those calves never see crunch or hay and I'd love to see them a week after the lads taking them home. They would just melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Putting in hard and diligent work is the easy part. Being paid a reasonable remuneration is the difficulty.

Lots of lads who buy calves have had tight years.

I get your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

All the giving out about labour with calves, have ye all computerised calf feeders? With the grant available for them and the labour they save, they are a serious return on investment. I put one in a month ago and this spring is night and day by comparison to last spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

That's farming also in response to bringing to a month and selling for 50euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I was watching online. David was doing his best to pull bids.

We've circa 150 young lambs backed up in the sheds due to bad weather if we had them out I'd have no hesitation in putting in 25 or 30 of those bulls at them prices.

See Jan calves selling for 35e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There's always a couple of weeks this time of year were There's a backlog with no shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Grant for calf feeders also? And fellas giving out about FFG not doing anything for farmers?

Calves are still making good money here. Holstein bulls are only making €5 or even free but Ch and Lm crosses are making €250-350 at 3weeks old. It’s the first time calves have been able to be sold into February here. We’ve usually to keep them from mid January to mid May to accommodate Irish calves. Hopefully this trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

There’s the reason that the Dept of Ag give us for having a closed period until the 10th of March. Some serious falls of rain tend to occur in Feb/March. Where is all the slurry/fert gone in this weather..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

He did tbf but the reality was a lot of unsold calves …I had one bunch of 3 all half twins luckily he found a home for them

So are they sold for free plus commission?

Havnt heard from mart since but I reckon I will owe the mart a few quid ….20 calves sold /given away depending on what way you look at it ….if I waited another 2 weeks I could of sold them out of yard ….but 2 more weeks feeding and the risks of a scour outbreak etc ….and I’d still only get 40/60 euro at best

to be clear I’m dissapointed at the price I got …these calves were on whole milk for 3 days then onto powder …we’re starting to eat crunch and hay and we’re penned according to age with my heifers and got exact same treatement ….tg weather and no exporters buying hammerd the sale and high lightened how important the export trade is for theses calves …if/when it’s gone we have a big problem …putting down bull calves is something I’d be strongly against and not a practice I’d ever like to contemplate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Surely you just move to all sexed?

Its my plan for this year, it'll take a lot of the hassle out of things

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Speaking of sexed, is the sexed lab in moorepark going to be operational for this season?

An post have an offer on stamps for valentines day buy 8 get 2 free, bought a few books there. Handy for posting the bvd samples . Buy online free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If everyone started using sexed, bring down the value of the rest of calves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was watching ettg on the player earlier. HQM made a few very good pointers on the fr bulls and the implications of holding them to finish in the event of no exports.

Like wool in the sheep sector the dairy bull calf which was once a money spinner is now a costly by product.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

I didn’t mean to come across as harsh and I think our wires crossed. Friesian bull calves have little or no value and live exports are definitely the only way we can keep a floor on beef price. Of course live exports going is Larry’s version of winning the Euromillions.

But I’m not sure how ethically right is it to be sending ten day old calves on a trip that you wouldn’t send 10 year old children on. My point being that Dairy farmers should either put in the facilities to care for calves till 28 days, cut back on cow numbers or take what they’re given. On farm debt or an excess of it isn’t a reason to be putting down calves at birth.

im coming across as harsh but with good calf sheds and automatic calf feeders farmers can make life a lot easier. If people are willing to sell calves at 2 weeks of age for €5 them full power to them but don’t complain that that’s the value of them cause there ain’t the margin in it. If there was money to be made at it everyone would be doing it. Why should beef farmers make slaves of themselves - at least in dairy the copious amounts of work put in returns some sort of viable margin. That just isn’t there in beef. Buying calves in the mart is a recipe for disaster , especially young Friesian bull calves out of first calvers, and I don’t care what ye say- you will lose a percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Lad near us collecting calves for kebabs, and mostly collecting from TB restricted herds.

The department have done a waft of "severe interpretation" tests all around different parts of Cork, and a massive number of herds locked up with single reactors (many clear on bloods and factory)

It's leaving farmers in a terrible predicament, stemming the normal flow from their herds for 6 month periods.

While distraught at the option, for the welfare of remaining calves, (and financial strain as well), for many, there's no other option.

• Advertisement

No offence taken and hard disagree with a lot of that …I like rearing calves and have the space to rear about 95% of them …..I’d have no issue rearing a calf for 5/6 weeks if I could just cover cost ….but that dosnt happen ….this year with the cost of everything I can’t justify keeping calves that long to loose money I’d be happy to sell out of yard at 2 weeks old for 30/40 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭minerleague

Calves having little value isn't new, back sometime in 70's calves were left at marts ( no tags back then ) and in empty trailers! Funny thing a couple of years later beef trade improved and those same calves did alright for those that ended up with them

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Keep all calves here to yearling stage , wouldnt suit alot of dairy farms but suits us with an outfarm and they dont eat that much as calves until september, sold then either from shed early march or from grass in april depending , would be up on 550/600€ at 330/350kg , have lads telling me I should get rid of them as calves but I dont think the system is treating me too bad have to rear the heifer calves anyway so its not like its an extra group of stock.. cant get over lads saying FR bull calves arent worth anything the mind boggles at lads giving 3/400€ for a charolais/Belgian blue calf but wouldnt give 50€ for an FR , or giving 600/700 for a yearling but wont give 50 as a calf , youd wonder

Plenty lads switching to calf to beef. Friend of mine buy's about 200 fr bull calves every year and is happy out with it. Comparing 10 day old child to 10 day old calf is a fair stretch. Like something a vegan would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Beef farmers slaves ? The margin mightn’t be massive but there feck all work with calves past 6 weeks old. They could be on OAD feeding at that age and looking at them every day at grass and moving them every few days

definitely not tied to it like a herd of cows

bull calves bought for 50€ 2 years ago coming into 13/1400€ now killed

there’s definitely a touch in that

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

I think the €300 charlaois calf is another debate! 😂

Does he buy your calves? I think the main lads buying Friesian calves imo are the lads buying 200 of them. For many small farms they’d rather buy the stronger beef bred calf. And this can be seen in the the current prices in the mart.

I appreciate it’s a stretch and it is something like a vegan would say. However, with the best of intentions that’s what it involves for calves.

Yes once you get them to a weaned stage is grand but the problem is that there a very few people buying expensive stores (around here anyway) that are physically able or have the time to rear a volume of calves.

I know in dairy the profitability can justify contract rearing but it’s a slightly similar scenario in a lot of cases for beef farmers. Calves are an extra bunch that add complication. It’s much easier when you’re 2 year olds are finished out of the shed to fill it with yearlings again and leave them to grass than having the hardship.

I will definitely agree with you that weaned calves and runners are way under priced. But maybe we need to look at promoting the selling of older “half reared” calves for a premium that covers their costs- I guess that’s what I’m on about the whole time hahaha. Easier said than done I know but if you look at the current market the stronger calf is making good money- whether it covers it’s costs is a whole other debate! It’s unfortunate that it’s the busiest time of year for a lot of marts but they could really do with special sales - like dairy sales for strong weaned calves in May/June that are weaned and ready for grad. As it stands they’re either thrown in either the older yearling cattle, suckler weanling sales or the suck calf sales which are all slightly different. The best place to rear calves to weaning is the farm they’re born on imo and this will give the best possible outcomes.

I know most of my points end up putting more expense on the cow at the end of the day but dairy farmers refusing to rear calves cause of low margin and labour issues pointing the finger at beef farmers not rearing calves cause they’re “lazy” is probably what god me going on this rant haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

My point exactly dont think the bull calf issue was ever as bad as early where your struggling to even get bids for fresians , youd think the lads who bought them 2 years ago and are killing them now would be going mad for them again fair profit in that scenario youd think with not a huge outlay day one, locked up with tb this year but i had put about half the herd in calf to limousin/belgian blue /hereford and the plan was to sell these as calves and keep the freisians to yearling stage again others be telling me to do the opposite but the difference in the money between the different breeds isnt as huge at yearling stage lads go solid mad for a good early LMX/BBX calf and still have 10 weeks of rearing in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Your calf buyer the past two years in alot of cases with covid restrictions was buying the calves out of boredom/something to do, with the economy fully opened up and lads up to their ears with work if in the building trade etc you wouldn't blame them for skipping rearing calves this spring, given the cost inflation of milk replacer/meal/fertilizer its hard to see much of margin out of 2022 calves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Live exports are always the key this time of year. Every year when the weather is bad a boat doesn't go the world is ending.

Last year sent in strong bull calves, they made 17 euro as forecast had turned bad. 2 weeks later sold lighter ones for 85. Peak season. Later fr bulls all made over 100 then and that was farmers buying them

Live export is the only competition to the meat factories. If that is stopped the price of all beef will plummet, not just the fr bull

• Advertisement

Alot of the calf issue is caused by the dairy heroes with the big numbers. I didn't see too many photos of topless cubicles on social media the last few days. Must have been hard to keep silage in front of them.

Advertisement