Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Canada Convoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

of the same mind? nope they aren't.

how do i know? because there is no history of both individuals engaging in far right politics whereas with a hell of a lot of these truckers, or at least the ones donating to them and supporting them, there is a hell of a lot of evidence to show that unlike varadkar and martin, they are in fact far right loons.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Id say the truckers from Canada are not too radical ive looked at a few posts from the stand off they are largely peaceful & /or trying to be, but their supporters maybe a bit right wing & all the donaters too as a lot of them are from the USA. I wish the prime minister would meet them & thrash something out its not a good look for anyone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even the worst Marvel movies would have a more coherent plot than anything the conspiracists come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The great reset thread is here for anyone desperate for a laugh: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058112439/the-great-reset/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I'm not sure the scumbags with ulterior motives have been legitimised. If the mandates were dropped in Canada, my suspicion is that the streets of Ottawa and elsewhere that protests have popped up would dissipate quite quickly and the scumbags, such that they exist, would find themselves pretty lonely.

Pretty insulting of you to admit you're not reading my posts

That's not quite what I said. I read your post (the last few—I have not read through 22 pages worth and memorised them). I said I didn't have time to break down the previous post, where you spoke about mutiple Nazi flags but posted several pictures of the same one (the Tweets posted as evidenced even referred to them a "more pictures of the Nazi flag", which seems an odd way for someone obviously ideologically or morally opposed to the protests to refer to multiple Nazi flags, if they exist).

Why would anyone engage with such a bad faith actor?

Well they wouldn't. But we can also wonder about why someone would be so quick, upon being asked what would seem to me to be a fairly simple question, to label their interlocutor as a bad faith actor rather than to answer the question.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Schwab is the current leader of the World Economic Forum, author of COVID-19: The Great Reset, The Great Narrative (The Great Reset Book 2), Stakeholder Capitalism: A Global Economy that Works for Progress, People and Planet, among others.

I don't personally see the Great Reset as a conspiracy theory (particularly since it is all very out in the open), nor do I think that the intent of it is, generally speaking, nefarious.

I do think that in practice it seems to be lauded by people who are very disconnected from everyday workers and it operates in subversion of democracy. Such subversions always lead to the formation of populist opposition (which is usually successful), and the exact brand of populism is difficult to predict. It also comes to the table with a predestined picture of what the future should be, which always necessitates an abandonment of the sort of naturally innovative processes that tend to move us forward.

I am also generally distrustful of very wealthy people who champion "equity" (equality of outcome) over equality (equality of opportunity), because the former always requires tyranny, and the very wealthy are never planning to be "equitable" with the rest of us.

This championing of equity is why Trudeau is comfortable excluding members of particular ethnic or marginalised groups from the consequences of laws he's enacting.

And I mentioned Schwab and the "Young Global Leaders" initiative of the WEF because Schwab is on record saying how pleased he is that half of Trudeau's cabinet is WEF-aligned, which is in keeping with their desire to "penetrate the cabinets" of sovereign countries.

At the very least, Klaus Schwab is a figure whose style and form of communication is inept enough to make some everyday men and women—whose franchise is dependent on the independence of their country's political apparatus—feel that they may in fact be disenfranchised. When you combine it with Trudeau's stated admiration for the "basic dictatorship" in China and the fact that he seems to be taking full advantage of the "opportunities" afforded by the pandemic, even as other countries are rolling their authoritarian measures back, I think you'd have to be very dense or very disingenuous not to see why Klaus Schwab and his WEF have become contentious figures, even if you don't see them that way yourself.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nobody even hinted anything about an army

Apart from when the army was deployed. 🙄

"all Americans were rightly sickened and revolted by the brutal death of George Floyd" but said his memory must not be "drowned out by an angry mob".

In a speech in the White House gardens, the president said: "As we speak I am dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel and law enforcement officers

Which is the best book to read i have The 4th industrial Revolution, on my tablet now should i read a different one? . Regarding Trudeau i think he has taken it a bit too far now, we are opening up and becoming free he is still in the throes of a pandemic which is almost passed, its like he is clinging to the absolute power he had and cant let go. A big dose of megalomania by all accounts. Surely negotiation & compromise is key to the solution now at this stage.

Post edited by mary 2021 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Apply a bit of critical thinking and you should come to the conclusion that it is a paranoid conspiracy theory and nothing more. Read the thread I posted too. No one is going to be calling to anyones door to take possession of their property or anything else due to the musings of Klaus Schwab.

In the 1950/60’s there were tv programmes guessing at what the future may look like. Everyone having flying cars by the millennium, everyone would have a robot cooking and cleaning for them, etc. Schwab is at the same thing.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure the scumbags with ulterior motives have been legitimised. If the mandates were dropped in Canada, my suspicion is that the streets of Ottawa and elsewhere that protests have popped up would dissipate quite quickly and the scumbags, such that they exist, would find themselves pretty lonely.

It is pretty safe to assume that the guys who organised this have seen their numbers grow, they've received global news coverage and received the support of maybe millions of people. And that's before we even get into the donations received from people who ordinarily wouldn't donate to people with such views. They will be emboldened even further and will latch onto whatever the next populist protest is where they think they might increase their stock further. That's a lot more legitimate than spouting about the great replacement on conspiracy websites.

That's not quite what I said. I read your post (the last few—I have not read through 22 pages worth and memorised them). I said I didn't have time to break down the previous post,

You said "I don't have time to go through it", not "I don't have time to break it down". Apologies if I took you up wrong, but I'm only going on what you posted.

where you spoke about mutiple Nazi flags but posted several pictures of the same one (the Tweets posted as evidenced even referred to them a "more pictures of the Nazi flag", which seems an odd way for someone obviously ideologically or morally opposed to the protests to refer to multiple Nazi flags, if they exist).

Nice try. There were five photos of flags/signs in my post, with four different ones pictured. Only one was repeated, and the reason for this is that some have claimed that that particular flag was raised by a stooge for a few seconds, as a way to portray the protestors in bad light. Multiple photos in separate locations puts that to bed. There WERE multiple nazi flags and signs on display. When you get the time to go through my post, I'm sure you'll acknowledge that, though.

Well they wouldn't. But we can also wonder about why someone would be so quick, upon being asked what would seem to me to be a fairly simple question, to label their interlocutor as a bad faith actor rather than to answer the question.

To my mind, you came in saying "I can't be arsed reading what you wrote but here, I've a question and I demand you answer it now". I've too much self-respect to deal with such bollocksology, so I didn't. Simple as. I couldn't give a monkeys how simple the question is or who's asking it. I wouldn't give Michael D the time, if he approached me in that manner.

To answer your question: "Why would white supremacists aspire to compare themselves to Rosa Parks, a woman famous and celebrated for advancing the civil rights cause in the US?"

No idea. The twitter link I provided had four photos, 3 of which were to do with 'purebloods' and "the day of the rope", tropes that have long been associated with White Supremacists. That's the link being made. You'll have to ask the twitter user why they included the Rosa Parks photo, cos it wasn't me. For the record, comparing being told to wear a mask with the plight suffered by black people for decades is a scumbag move. Persecution complex doesn't even come into it. If you think you're being victimised to the same level as a whole tranche of society who couldn't use the same bathrooms or drinking fountains as others, you need mental help.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take your word for the multiple flags thing. I'm on a deadline and going back over it seems pointless. I'm sure we can agree that a very small minority of any protest will usually be constitutionally awful ne'er do wells.

No idea. The twitter link I provided had four photos, 3 of which were to do with 'purebloods' and "the day of the rope", tropes that have long been associated with White Supremacists.

I'll take your word for the "day of the rope" thing, afaik that's related to a bad white nationalist novel, right? But I know that some unvaccinated people have taken to calling themselves "purebloods" as a reaction to the "dirty unvaccinated" rhetoric, so that confounds that one slightly.

For the record, comparing being told to wear a mask with the plight suffered by black people for decades is a scumbag move. Persecution complex doesn't even come into it. If you think you're being victimised to the same level as a whole tranche of society who couldn't use the same bathrooms or drinking fountains as others, you need mental help.

I don't think that you are fairly representing their concerns here, with "asked to wear a mask".

"Told" to wear one, not asked. 😉

I found mask wearing ok and still do it blocks out all germs from entering my lungs and in these days of pollution thats not a bad thing. I caught no colds or flus in the last two years. So the mask, meh is not an issue for me. We are largely open and nearly back to normal much further ahead than Canada & New Zealand who seem to be in a panic about letting the people be trusted to think for them selves and be careful about their own health. I dont love our government but i dont distrust Michael Martin i think he has some integrity and respect for his country men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Wear your mask. Take your vaccine. Pay your taxes. Trust your government. Listen to their media!"

If not, you are QAnon conspiracy troll (possibly fascict too) and you shuold be banished from Society, unless you will to change...

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Different countries in different geographical places are going through different phases. It's not uniform across the planet.

As for Canada it's huge, even if you discount the large uninhabitable areas it is still dozens of times the size of Ireland. Stretches 6 time zones and nearly 5000 miles across, so even within the country the epidemiology would differ from province to province.

That said they are on par with the likes of Germany if not ahead of them in lifting restrictions.

But again like any functioning democracy during a public health emergency it's up to the elected officials in combination with scientific health advisors to formulate what measures are needed and not I think you'll agree some anti-vax fringe with a list of "demands".

• Advertisement

Yep you are probably right but i do feel that the world is a bit fractured at the moment and needs to heal. We need good will & a big dollap of kindness towards each other.

It isn't really, there is a minute fringe element who are overly vocal, the vast vast majority are just getting on with it.

Hopefully you are right but reading through the thread i see a lot of nastyness to alternative views cant everyone have a voice & an opinion anymore? Its always better to have different views for a more rounded conversation. No single answer is right or wrong we need so much more tolerence to those who may be mis- informed or led by wrong 'uns. Compassion tolerance and education is what is needed not everyone will read a political book or understand world economics.

we need so much more tolerence to those who may be mis- informed or led by wrong 'uns..

Best of luck with that. 👍️

In fairness, the OP brought the great reset conspiracies up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

It's just the saddest thing to witness...full force of the police being brought to bear on totally peaceful protestors...

police moving in now...watch live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The way Trudeau is behaving seems to be making it inevitable that people turn to violence. The protesters outside parliament aren't doing anything but exercising their right to peaceful protest. And let's not forget, they are protesting vaccine mandates, a thing that isn't in place in the vast majority of the western world.

also good piece here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Is there any truth to the reports that animals are being threatened with euthanasia (if not picked up within 7 days I think) to try disperse this?

Ottowa police tweeted something to that effect earlier but cant find it on phone

I don't know about euthanized. They said "relinquished". They will probably be put in a shelter for adoption

As an animal lover that is just wrong and very bad minded. a trucker only has his dog when he is on the long road very spiteful & cruel.

Well you know, these are people with "unacceptable views" and society must question whether they should be "tolerated", according to the prime Minister. so anything goes I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Croohur1

You'd think a real animal lover wouldn't put a dog in a truck for long periods of its life. Seems spiteful and cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The truckers should think about their poor dogs. If they are neglecting the dog it deserves better than them truckers.

• Advertisement

Some dogs just love the truck life i know when we were driving the truck with horses on board my dogs just lapped it up sitting up front watching the world go by some dogs like that life. better than being tied up in a yard all alone all day . I just think attacking the dogs is spiteful on Trudeaus part he resorting to the lowest tactics. I am not impressed he needs to pull in his horns a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not even society, Justin himself gets to decide if they are to be tolerated. Let that sink in for a bit.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Justin is out of control...He heaped an LGBT Jewish member of parliament in with Nazi's the other day, in a response to her quiestioning him over the protests. She comes from a family of Holocaust survivors

The government also announced today they are going to try and make some of thier Emergency Act (ie War Act) measures permanent...such as being able to access any crowd funding platforms for stuff they don't like....Canadian democracy is in a very scary place right now...and the way the government is acting there, and seemingly getting away with it at the moment, is something that could easily spread to other western democracies....

I didn't see one Western leader condemn Trudeau for provoking the Emergenices Act over such a minor protest in the scheme of things. The last time it was invoked was when Quebec tried to seperate and they actually killed a couple of politicians...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, listening to 3 minutes of this would make you want to boil your own head. The ramblings of morons.

Relinquished sounds more like they're gonna put them up for adoption .

You gotta give it to the Canadians...confronted by lines of riot police, they're all just standing there have casual conversations with each other and laughing...somebody even brought a justin trudeau cut-out and made some cops laugh...

they're not taking the bait to give Justin his Jan 6th moment in his effort to justify this...hope they continue to ignore the bait

this is the new way to do protests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Buffman

Another popular live streamer 'Zot' got arrested earlier and his sister has taken over the channel.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Post edited by ceadaoin. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fair play to the canadians, they want these violent invaders out of their country and have tolerated them for long enough.

time for them to be expelled and that is what is happening.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Wow. Trampling a peaceful protest with horses. They are clearly trying to provoke the protesters.

Yeah. That violent old lady with a walker who was trampled to death while just standing there deserved to be "expelled" alright. I mean, would you listen to yourself ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭bloopy

They don't care.

Like all authoritarian's they are on the right side of history so anything is fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Link to a credible article saying an old lady was trampled to death please

All I can find online is stuff about her name being Roberta Paulsen, which also happened to be the name of a fictitious protester killed by Capitol police officers on January 6th and seems to be a reference to a character in the movie Fight Club called Robert Paulsen 🤔

still i dont know if you are a dog lover or not?, but i have 3 dogs and a dogs is like your family so this is cruel and i am against it dont fault me this as a rescuer & supporter of all issues relating to animals. They have no voice. Humans can roar & shout and get help for themselves animals cannot. For me this is nasty Trudeau in action i would hate him as a leader in my country.

• Advertisement

I am a dog lover and my dog is a rescue. If people are failing to care for their properly, they should not have a right to retain the dog.

There is a lot of work to be done in Ireland then forget Canada !! We should start in the ethnic hard stands where the utmost starvation & cruelty to dogs & horses begins anyway thats a whole other discussion. Meanwhile maybe other truckers in the community will look after their dogs i know if i was there i would help the dogs as innocent creatures. For now the situation is bad there & the horses trampling the public leave the bloody horses out of it too this is a man made human disagreement.

Bloody Nazis murdering peaceful dogs.

Or in other words, we used to call it reality. The authorities have put in place a mechanism where if one of these muppets were to get themselves arrested their animals would be cared for. It's the most Canadian thing in the world, they also have a similar in place for the fúcknuts who decided to use their children as shields.

The only animal harmed was a horse, some scumbag thought it was fun idea to throw a bike at it.

Now if anyone has a link to an online vigil for the fictional lady who was fictionally trampled to death, I'd appreciate it, want to pay my respects.

It's not just dogs that are being neglected.

“I’m risking everything I have,” said Jake Klassen, 39, who has been a truck driver for nearly two decades and drives three weeks of the month hauling loads to the U.S. as an owner-operator. “I want to be able to have my own choice.”

Klassen has two campers and his black semi trailer at the Emerson blockade. They could potentially be seized; Klassen described Trudeau’s move to invoke emergency powers as a “scare tactic” so “they can take everything from us,” he said. 

Klassen said he hasn’t been able to visit his nine-year-old daughter in months. She is receiving palliative care at St. Amant, a care residence in Winnipeg, but due to restrictions that require visitors to be fully vaccinated, Klassen and his wife can’t see her.

“This is something worth fighting for,” he said.

The residence in question was contacted for comment and released a statement saying they have no such policy in place and unvaccinated people are free to visit their children with testing and PPE.

What absolute gorgeous parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Advertisement
Advertisement