Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Am I right in saying that the storm is further south than expected?

Yesterday there was talk of Eunice making landfall at the Shannon estuary?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Snowing in North East Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

listening to the reports on Radio 1 and they just can't help themselves ratcheting up the fear mongering. They were talking to reporters in Cork, Kerry, and Waterford and all of them reported no serious incidents but beware because things can change at any time!!! ..sweet lord give us a break. I'm living on a hill overlooking Kinsale and it's a bit of wind, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Lovely morning here in SW Donegal. In fact I may not even bother with my big coat. I wonder are the roads open after the orange level blizzards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

I think most understand that. I posted my location and current weather conditions so people know how it's moving. I just assumed most were doing the same.

You must be in an incredibly sheltered place. I’m on the coast near Kinsale and this is the worst wind since Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Snowing in loais. Not sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What do you mean by "Aren't cork and Kerry" if you don't mind me asking.

Regardless, met eireann follow the models they don't just pluck things from thin air. The models showed the winds going up the Irish sea hitting Dublin Kildare etc. An orange warning is about 110km/h, and with Dublin airport for casting gusts of up to about 60kts which is 111km/h or so, I'd say it will reach the criteria just about.

Orange will probably be justified based on the data one and yes I understand you could think it's overkill but they also can't not issue the warning even though the models showed it, and then have 110km/h winds in these areas. Either way they lose. Would've been worse if they said red warning and the schools etc were closed in Dublin and Kildare. Sure the gaa matches are off, but it's one day. Surely it's better to be safe then sorry for one day of sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Davaeo21

Moved out of the Eye I would think

Went from rainbows and confused birds singing to gusts and driving slushy rain

Tullaroan (N/W) Kilkenny

EDIT: Woah ok winds crazy here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

I suppose that's why Kildare is in a status Orange, and not a status Red?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

not sheltered at all, it's quite exposed and just like any other windy day up here. Definitely not worth closing schools across the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Disappointed on the snow front in Galway. Is it unlikely later?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Serious hail shower here in very gusty north west winds here near Killarney....I do reckon the worst of the winds have been to our south but wouldn't say it's over just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah sh1te. I just know my little lads bus is going to be travelling in the worst of it in Carlow. Gentle breeze right now but Twas dead calm minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Flat calm here, not even a slight breeze, this is why i have a keen interest in the weather, just amazing to hear reports from the south coast, a relatively short distance away, where its an entirely different kind of morning. Shower just passed here (south Dublin) clearing skies, a lovely winters morning truth be told. Hoping for some drama later!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Roches point gusted to 131km/h so reached the red criteria with mean speed of 87kmlh (7km over the criteria)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

With technology so advanced you'd think Met Eireann could do forcasts based on individual Eir Codes... (sarcasm)

Been calm here Sth Kildare but what was a bright morning is beginning to dull with increased cloud cover.

Take a look at Cork Safety Alerts. In the last hour, there are reports of dozens of trees down on roads across Co Cork, including trees on the main road between Kinsale and Cork, between Riverstick and Belgooly. This is not a normal winter’s day - you don’t normally get dozens of trees blocking the road like that. I wouldn’t have liked to have been dropping a kid to school driving from Riverstick this morning. You might have a point about the rest of country but a red warning is justified for our part of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

North Connemara.

The good amount of snow that fell this morning around 2am has now been washed away with the rain at lower levels, although the mountains all around look pretty magnificent!

Wind so far today has been nothing to talk about. My home station, which has a bit of protection from the Northwest by Ben Gorm and Mweelrea reached a peak gust of just 31.4km/h and my other station, located in an elevated position and staring down Killary Fjord only managed 71.3km/h.

On the actual Atlantic coast, some 10 miles or so away, my sister station reached 94km/h

Currently bands of icy sleet showers passing through, power is flickering on and off and the wind is brisk and seems to be building again.

To chime in with the rest of the "discussions" on this topic, I think Met Éireann got this right bar the timing, but for my own location, with Orange snow warning to the North and Red wind to the South, we could do with a bit more granularity... a yellow band between the two "major" weather advisories running from North Connemara to say Athlone would probably be closer to actual conditions.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Rte are more dangerous than any storm . People are becoming less interested in serious weather reports by the way rte turn it into a pantomime. Totally believe in weather warnings but rte,s coverage is embarrassing alot of the time.

We really dodged a bullet with the southern flank missing us, will be very interesting to see how the UK handles it later. Red warning there for Cornwall and London which hasn't had a red warning since the system came into force in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

South Dublin here, lovely morning - not a breath of wind, blue sky, cold though.

I get that the calm weather now doesn't mean it won't deteriorate by 10am. It's just sorta hard to believe when it's so lovely and crisp out now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Whatever about the weather, you are very predictable!!!

Photos posted hear of snow in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwizizi

Calm but wet here in Wexford and earlier in Carlow. Feel bad, asked my partner to drive me in because thought it was worse.

I think winds are meant to hit afternoon here though.. No snow but apparently sleet on its way for 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Flat calm in south Laois up until 8.15am then within ten minutes gusting over 40mph and temperatures dropped sharply; precipitation went from rain to sleet and now snow very quickly. Windy.

The models and Met Eireann predicted this sooner by around 1.5hrs - but it is still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heavy wet snow for the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Hope i can get to waterford later,first family weekend away since first lockdown..From dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

The killibegs to ardara road looks pretty rough in the latest road traffic image and that's SWv Donegal.

The Donegal town to ballybofey road looks passable but probably not great to travel.

In both cases these are main roads and have been gritted. Side roads would be an entirely different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Advertisement