Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Don’t think it’s too bad. At least it’s properly fully done up professionally. If this was in sheriff street yes it would be ridiculous but clontarf is ok.

way more shocking are the prices people pay for doer uppers totally ignoring the refurb costs.

Id rather have an aprtment in the gasworks at that price (bigger, better energy rating, mich higher rental value) but can see the point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No.33 Brian Boru Avenue - 22/09/2014 €90,000.00

No. 37 Brian Boru Avenue - 28/01/2013 €148,200.00

No. 36 Brian Boru Avenue - XX/XX/2022 €475,000.00

My personal view is that, if that house is still worth €425,000.00 or more in the next 2 years (i.e. less than a 10% reduction) I'll admit I may not know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

What dynamic do you see changing that will force the price down?

Well paid workers not coming to Ireland at the same numbers pre-covid at the same time as supply of BTRs picks up at long last and therefore paying €1k p.m. in rent for a room in the suburbs is shown up for the ludicrous, unsustainable practice it is; and this makes a tiny 1 bed apartment sized house in Clontarf not as attractive to rent and therefore struggles to justify it's €475,000 valuation.

Renting that house for 1800 p.m. would be a yield of 4% approx and paying a mortgage for someone who lives there would be (assuming 20% deposit) €1700 p.m. approx. for 25 years. It would be a struggle to rent that place for €1800 I think when the dust starts to settle next year post-pandemic and the economy inevitably slows down a little to a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

With significant euro inflation, is it possible that prices will never come down in actual terms, but relative to wages prices may fall?

If/when interest rates rise, prices will fall somewhat (or growth will slow), meanwhile wages will have to increase because of inflation, which should reduce the gap. A lot of the recent asset inflation is due to record low interest rates causing money to be funneled into assets.

• Advertisement

You could be right. But as far as I know things like the new retrofitting program will not only bring people to Ireland to get some of that cash, it will also shift the attention of some builders from new jobs to upgrades. Also our welfare rates will continue to attract lots of welfare tourist not to mention the time taken for our scheme of taking an undocumented worker and making them legal going from 8 years to 4 months will also be jumped upon. So I dont see any slow down of foreign people coming here they will just have to find other areas to rent outside of Dublin and other highly populated areas. So Clontarf (DART line, good bus service, by the sea with good pubs and restaurants and also ability to walk/cycle to town) you dont see this as an attractive area to rent ?? REALLY..

I am struggling to see how your point of view , but you could be right.

Actually, I wouldn't have counted that house close to the dart which is part of my reasoning; that in fact it has a poor public transport connection. Google indicates it's over a half hour just to walk to the train station, that would be far in my book!

On your point about immigration, I still think that demand will be strong for housing but not at unaffordable levels and immigration in the form of low paid workers, students or refugee seekers won't inflate the property market or sustain it.

You will find we will have an overcrowding problem in the next decade with regards to bodies to house ratio. You forget that low paid workers get a lot of subsidies from our left leaning government to survive they will also have a higher standard of living here remember we have not had the ravages of war or famine so just having a chance to live for some of these people will draw them out of their country , our left leaning nature and money for all will draw them here. I cant see anything changing we will have more bodies and the likes of the new retrofitting scheme will take building workers away from new builds - meaning supply will suffer more and supply is the only thing that will make a difference.

Also 30 minutes walk is not that far in my book if it means you can get to work. Also there are bus stops that are literally a 2 minute walk from it that will bring you to the city center. You also have the seafront right beside you. The place is small but the location IMO is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The example given was that an investment fund build and then rent out. All I am pointing out is that regardless of what model is in place there are financing costs for the build and that it’s not zero like what was being claimed.

They are fundamentally different business models, and they way in which they raise capital to purchase (or build) is different.

Rising interest rates will impact the viability of both however - if REIT yields are not sufficiently above bonds and other less riskier investments then theyre in trouble. And developers are far more exposed to the cost of finance, so interest rates hurt their ability to raise capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Yes they are different models and as I said at the start there is a cost of capital to build regardless of the model.

the rate differential between between the yield on property and other asset classes is high enough to withstand rate rises up to 2% so think there will still be demand from institutional investors

Yes but REIT funding is primarily through their own investors, developers must raise finance elsewhere (& pay it back).

Given that the only way REITs pay back their investors is through dividends, it is effectively 0% financing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s going back on the market at the end of next week if she doesn’t sign. We’ve had enough of all the delays

I basically lived as a caretaker in 2 different properties like this for years. It's a great way for single people to live and save money. A cousin of mine in the UK did the same in an old nursing home. Brilliant, saved loads and met lots of different people. If it suits someone it's great. Same with the coliving development, it can suit some people. When the government outlawed bedsits, they took accommodation away from certain sections of society who wished to live like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Spent a few months in something similar myself

Probably a strong link between dereliction and the banning of bedsits. In fairness to the Nuns, all they want is for someone to be there so that its been looked after and someway secure.

The state as usual letting buildings going wreck and ruin while at the same time being largest renter in the country

Other peoples money, who gives a fcuk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Fair enough, obviously what you think is best for your situation and that’s the post important thing. It isn’t an unreasonable period of time in my opinion that would warrant it.

You could end up with a far worse tyre kicker though as the whole process starts at day 1 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The process willl start again but hopefully with someone that’s a serious buyer. Today it was we would need to pay more property tax because the sale price put the house into a different band.

Our solicitor says he has never before seen such queries sticking to the exact letter of law. We had a surveyors report done in an extension built 25 years ago and her solicitor rejected it because the person that done it didn’t have professional indemnity insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Thanks for posting timmy, seems to be alot of costs outside of land andconstruction

Anyone know why it would cost €9k to sell a property assuming you are selling multiples of the same type, location in an environment where demand far exceeds supply

Cost of Finance seems extortionate given interest rates and again the supply demand dynamics 30k

Contributions: is this exclusively water, sewage, and power connections. Seems excessive at 24k. Had the water charges been introduced would this be much lower

Vat 50k+ need to look at a system where this is a small recurring charge that actually covers local services and that doesn't result in the developer pocketing the savings

Professional fees: 15 to 20k what does this include. Is this the system that costs less than 1k in Northern Ireland and is performed by an independent body. Ie oversight that the housing complies with regulations and practices.

Profit/risk: 40 to 60k per unit

180k of costs that could be chipped away at with better practices and systems. There appears to be lots that could be done to bring down costs were the will to do so present

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It feels to me that we're on the cusp of something very bad. The ordinary person is being usurped all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That might explain this nonsense so. Poor me with my €100k deposit and 2 x incomes from a tech firm...can only afford Portmarnock.

I know the Indo is a rag but this is scraping the barrel. And an insult to people who genuinely cannot afford to buy a house.

• Advertisement

Dublin has 3000 listings, 2000 of these are up to 500k.

they (in indo) can easily buy something, probably has to be the 3bed semi scd coast…

These “big investors” aren’t a bunch of wealthy guys. These are widely held pension funds etc.

if central banks push rates to 7% below inflation what do you expect pension funds to do? Not everyone has a gold plated public sector pension.

So they're essentially faceless entities which are harvesting resources from individuals? There is absolutely no way this is sustainable and I also have a feeling something is going to give; faceless corporates or individuals - it cannot be that faceless corporates hoard housing while individuals can barely afford to survive, in a Western country as well. I sense there is a big assumption or multiple assumptions (eg demand is stable) that is actually a foundation of sand on which to state the housing market will remain solid and not correct significantly.

There are too many assumptions about the current housing situation that make me stand back and think "wow, there is something seriously wrong here and the situation cannot be sustainable." For example, in a country of home ownership being a targeted outcome for individuals in society, we let investment funds take on 90% of all new build apartments?! The wacky assumption is that somehow without the funds these apartments wouldn't even exist; that is a ridiculous assumption that gets credibility but honestly it's a total con and is one of the facades of our housing market that will collapse and be revealed to be a con.

Edit: considering the context for this post is the asset bubble, the other ridiculous assumption that seems to have credibility is that somehow valuations are justified. This is the S&P500 performance for 20 years. Can anyone credibly claim that this is in any way sustainable?! Just look at it versus its past twenty years, it has exploded so high, so quickly that I just laugh at commentaries writing about corrections of only 20%; that would still look like a ridiculous graph with only 20% taken off current valuations! Essentially, we have been in a euphoric state in recent years where the insane has been painted as normal or sustainable but it absolutely is not and I think reality will have to hi home at some stage that maybe central banks just keeping the magic money printers on full power perpetually is not a stable policy to run economies on. The funny thing is that despite central banks in Europe and the US printing so much money in recent years, a liquidity squeeze will occur and everyone will wonder what happened to all the cash that had been printed which was sloshing around assets when the liquidity squeeze happens; it will turn out that the hyper QE cash was just squandered into assets and enriching further the already rich.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

6 Nov 2022

All 12156

Wicklow - 468

Kildare - 498

10 Dec 2021

All - 11657

22 Jan 2022

All - 10711

30 Jan

All - 10758

Wicklow - 383

Kildare - 462

19 Feb 2022

All - 10895

Wicklow - 405

Starting to tick up ever so slightly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

It’s a house of cards globally, and manipulated to the point of no return, markets in the US are either going to crash badly this year or the rabbit will be pulled out of the hat for as long as possible which would lead to lord knows what sort of implosion down the line. Ireland will be insulated for a while but I see red flags in Europe and those in power are likely to either lead us toward huge unchecked inflation or huge deflation and possible recession, or perhaps a bit of both. (I really hope I’m wrong)

Post edited by LJ12345 on

NEVER look at rising asset prices on its own. Always look at ratios.

for example:

london (house prices/ M4 money supply) are at the same level they were in mid 80’s yet you constantly hear how unaffordable these are. Total nonsense as evidently there is enough money out there to buy them (record volumes, record prices).

all the QE cash has to go somewhere. Been going to assets since 2008 and only recently circulated into the economy since covid. As soon as you do that you have “real inflation” on a massive cost of living crisis scale.

rising house prices frustrate maybe 20% of the population (private renters, up-sizers) who vote sinn fein now in addition to the core “republican vote”. The rest doesn’t care. Rising cost of living frustrate 70% of the population. All big revolutions (arab spring, fall of iron curtain, French Revolution) started because of the latter, not the former.

I think at least the fed will hike interest rates to a degree to curtail asset prices. Still don't thing the ecb can even exit QE, half of the eurozone is technically bankrupt.

and even if they do, irish property prices are mid level valuation compared globally. Maybe expect more choice but not lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We are past the cusp here. Housing is not an area big business should be allowed to play in. The Germans have realised this, which may be why their funds are over here buying up all the assets of the naive Irish.

Even developers stick in my craw. I think the ideal, which is how things used to be in Oz, is for people wanting a house to find and buy a block of land and then engage a builder to build a house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement

I think the rising house prices are frustrating more than 20% these days as we saw in the 2016 census that approximately 80% of 25-34 year olds were not home owners and I think the 2021 census will probably show us a similar proportion but probably you could extend that from 25-39 year olds. Five years later that becomes 80% of 25-44 year olds etc. What this means is that you have two very polarized groups in society; non-homeowners happy to see the whole property market crash and homeowners happy to see it remain in a growth trajectory as their house is their wealth, for now and into retirement. Unfortunately I don't see how the two competing groups can be united at this stage so it is really going to come down to who commands more voting power that will determine the course of our property market and of course the voting power appears to be shifting swiftly from one side to the other.

Advertisement