Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message from Cycling Ireland President

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Afteryears of been told at agm's that the finances at cycling ireland are sound. now they need cost cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

The one time - the one time - that "on your bike" would have been funny in an Irish Times headline about cycling, and they fumbled it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an interesting job opportunity. 'come work for us! our board are at war, and our finances are under investigation, but we offer health insurance and a company bike'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It sounds like CI have picked up governance habits from their Abbotstown neighbours in the FAI!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't think so, you can in theory just have an EGM where the board talks things out and answers questions, although it would be unusual. Hard to have motions when most of us are not entirely sure what the exact issue is, just the very small bits and pieces. I'd prefer they just came out and said, this is what happened, would save a lot of hassle and garner a lot of respect IMO

One would hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sticky bottle : Last weekend Cycling Ireland president, Liam Collins, said he would stand down before his term was completed, though he was only elected last November. He urged other board members to also resign in the interests of allowing chief executive Matt McKerrow and his team run the organisation while reforms were being carried out.

Am I reading a different statement to the one SB read, it seems like key words from his statement are missing there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I did get a vibe that his statement was modified at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 if in doubt

Going public about issues amongst / between board members, requesting board members resign, and in doing so causing a PR nightmare for the federation is certainly one way of laying down a marker for your term as presidency so kudos on that front...

2 of the board members who were asked to resign have barely 3 months service between them and both appear to have very strong professional expertise and credentials justify their appointments and co-opting onto the board. If there are indeed any historical or legacy issues between sitting board members then surely those only new on the scene and you'd expect neutral from any drama would be the ones you'd like to keep in their positions?

It's hard to see what the logic behind bringing any of this to the attention of members, the wider public or Sport Ireland is. If it's some sort of power grab to remove non-elected board members in the hope of replacing them with ones who you know will support you on certain issues then it's hard to see a successful outcome now. If it's about being as transparent as possible with members and stakeholders and really trying to do what's best for the sport and federation then it's a strange way of going about it.

It's been a while since any of the AGM's descended into a bit of a shouting match so an EGM would be nice in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭griffin100

So the President is asking the Board, which provides independent oversight of the executive management teams performance, to step down and let the executive management team go for it? He obviously has no idea of how good corporate governance works.

• Advertisement

On the same note, separate from the finance issues, no one else ran. One of the reasons I didn't object, just abstained was I myself couldn't run for it and I had heard no mutterings of anyone else interested. So unless there is someone else interested, what are the options, either let him stay or vote against and end up in limbo land repeatedly. I can think of several candidates but unless someone steps forward, what are the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Bring in an Interim Sport Ireland appointed Team until the AGM ? Which in itself lends a whole other colour to the picture (i.e all the cycling clubs in Ireland are incomptent and can't keep their house in order)

I'm not sure what will be gotten from an EGM other than a shouting match, I presume no one will want to comment on the finance issues (Ongoing Garda Investigation yadda) And with those board members opposing the president removed, no one really has any motions to put forward.

If anyone wanted to run against him, now would be a prime time to go for it. What's the pay like?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

What's the endgame here for El Presidente? I'm wondering what he wants to actually achieve. At the CI AGM in Tralee, it was very obvious how combative, confrontational and demonstrative he wanted to be, as if he wanted to bring about a radical 'change' of sorts. But once you get past the angry rhetoric and the desire to make 'road cycling' great again and expose other people's shortcomings or whatnot, I'm scratching my head as to what the master plan is. It would seem that a lot hinges on the weight of negative 'public opinion' to enact change in the upper echelons of power- that seems risky as a large portion of CI members probably don't care a hoot for the politics here; hence I don't really know what all this palaver is going to achieve other than to bring negative attention to the organisation. I suspect the vast number, like myself, just want to enjoy the benefits of organised cycling events.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm thinking Bigger picture here Cram, golden handshake and pension ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

So the CI Board are meeting tonight - will they even have a quorum given the number of resignations? Who chairs these things, is it the President? How many statements can we expect afterwards? Is 'Sport Ireland' running the show? Will we get a midnight email? So many questions

according to an irish times article from last monday, collins is both president and board chairman.

random aside, why the multiple job titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I wonder at times like this. What did people expect ? This fella has been a great servant for cycling in this country in general. Have not always seen eye to eye with him myself with the very limited interactions I did have with him over the years. Is supposed to have some drama queen tendencies. But I never doubted his commitment to cycling at the grass roots level. He's been out there doing it day in day our for decades. For very little thanks.

It was plain however to anyone who has been involved in Irish Cycling that he was never going to be the kind of political shark required to swim smoothly in the sort of waters that board members typically operate in. This - dare I say it - Trump-eque approach would have been expected. I thought that's why folks voted for him. As a disruptor (which is needed from time to time - if done correctly). If they did, then he may well turn out to be delivering what he was mandated to do.

The president seems to be coming out worse than the board so far in terms of public sentiment, at least in the circles I have observed. But honestly, I have no idea who is right and who is wrong here. All I can discern is something dodgy going on at the governance layer (mysterious additional issues that we don't know about etc..).. and a president that we expected to go nuclear, going nuclear earlier than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm a bit meh on this aspect, it's just in the CI structure the President chairs the board meetings.

Trying my best not to sound like I am having a go, he was the only one who stood up to run and that takes courage, even if you are the only one. Hard to say anything bad when I didn't stand up, but I have other priorities. The only way I would take on that job myself is if I was retired or they started paying a salary of worth.

In regards very little thanks, not sure anyone organising races gets much thanks (bar the much appreciated cheers for that after a race), if anyone is doing it for thanks, they picked the wrong sport.

As for the, that's why people voted him in, there was no one else. AGMs are painful enough, the choice was him or no one, most of us were mandated by our clubs before the AGM, so his speech that seemed (unintentionally I think) unappreciative of what goes on outside of his own club, was pointless and I feel he would have ingratiated himself more if he had said nothing at all. This said, we get what we deserve.

As for the going nuclear, he highlighted the people who were brought in solely with the expertise to actually get sh1t in order and he asked them to resign before they had even sat down. That is not going nuclear, it is stupid. I say this as someone with great experience of being stupid.

were you being paid for being stupid, or supplying that service for free?

reading that, that sounds like it could easily come across as antagonistic - was just a joke!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't think the role of president has any formal responsibilities beyond chairing the board (there may be something at the UCI level but I've never looked at that)

All these roles are unpaid. The Board is the governance of the organisation, and despite the actions of some past members everything related to the actual running of cycling in Ireland should be delegated to the paid executives, including in particular the CEO

My take on the actions of Liam Collins is that there has been a fundamental disagreement at Board level as to how this should be handled and he concluded that the Board should step aside while the governance issues are sorted and that Matt McKerrow should be allowed to get on with thinks without the risk of issues at the Board level, or indeed actual board members, potentially interfering with things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

So... no EGM then?

i'm amazed they didn't consider any of the cycling forum mods. should i be offended?

• Advertisement

The Board met this morning and resolved to convene an EGM of the Company. Proposals by certain clubs to convene an EGM would in any event have been considered at the scheduled Board meeting to be held on 21 February 2022

As per https://www.cyclingireland.ie/news-item/cycling-ireland-board-statement/

Advertisement