Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kurt Zouma thinks it's funny to use a cat as a football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If the animal had a good life and a very quick death I don't see any issue, its part of the food chain and a perfectly normal fact of life. Now an animal not having a decent life or not having a quick death is not ok.

Its not as simple as sensory pleasure, it's about food that's very very difficult to avoid, if I gave up meat I'd eventually be thinking about it all day everyday, I'm sure you've heard of food cravings.

It might be possible but it's difficult, you don't seem to understand how addictive food full of flavour can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nobody needs to "reevaluate" anything. These are different problems. One involves people doing what is both natural and fully consistent with basic biology. The other is a scumbag abusing an animal for no literally no reason other than to terrify it and watch it suffer.

You are conflating totally different things. This is literally an apples to oranges comparison.

Your claims about the benefits about going vegan are debatable at best. At least they would be debatable if they weren't in a thread where they are completely off-topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

"If the animal had a good life and a very quick death I don't see any issue, its part of the food chain and a perfectly normal fact of life. Now an animal not having a decent life or not having a quick death is not ok."

I'd agree with this, a decent life and then a quick death is the ideal situation (for those who couldn't live the vegan life). Unfortunately that is wishful thinking at the minute in the food industry.

And yes giving up meat would be very difficult. As soon as i'd give it up id be dreaming of a well cooked steak, or a crispy smoked bacon sandwich or a roast chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do you at least agree with stances and statements of dietetic and health associations that a diet void of animal products can be perfectly suitable for all stages of life and can help prevent diseases associated with the consumption of animal products?

It's also natural, consistent with biology, as well as pleasurable to reproduce, but we deem it moral to seek consent for this as we realise harm will be caused otherwise. When there is a victim, do you not think we should be considerate with our actions?

There's still the issue of killing somebody who doesn't want to die though and having a good life would surely give more reason to not want to die. Would you have issue with somebody killing a dog or a cat as long as they ate it and as long as it was done quickly and the dog or cat had a happy life?

I thought I might miss meat too but never did even though I enjoyed the taste when I did eat it. I remember tasting the beyond burger for the first time and it was crazy how much it tasted like animal flesh, it even left that stubborn smell in the kitchen after. I cooked one up for my friend who is such a big meat head he's had high cholesterol from a very young age and he thought it was just like meat too. Then after finishing it, I realised that even though it tasted exactly like I remember flesh tasting like, I had actually tasted so many nicer plant based burgers, full of so much more flavour, different textures etc. A lot of people say giving up animal products has encouraged them to discover so many more interesting and adventurous foods and flavours :)

1. It's totally irrelevant to a thread about a scumbag abusing animals for literally no other reason than to enjoy their fear and suffering.
    2. No, I reject claims about the supposed health benefits of going vegan. Firstly because we are an omnivorous species with specific nutrient needs, secondly because I've heard more than enough stories of people who went on borderline carnivorous diets and had massive health benefits, and thirdly because I have very serious concerns about the health effects of certain ingredients like vegetable oils that I expect would be common in vegan "alternative"

But while on the topic of vegans and cats, I learned a few months ago that "vegan cat food" is literally a thing. Now ... while humans are omnivores and as such should have a balanced diet, cats are obligate carnivores which means they must only eat meat. Anything else will cause nutrient deficiencies.

Frankly I think that anyone who thinks vegan cat food is a good idea is a greater danger to cats than Kurt Zouma. And that's saying a lot because that guy (as the OP was discussing) a vile scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Why wouldn't anyone think of the cats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

This. The food chain is a fact of life. Humans farm and raise their own foodstuffs whether that is animal based or otherwise.

What should never be tolerated is sadistic cruelty to animals under our care. And for that reason Zouma was called out for kicking his pet cat. If did the same to a pig or another animal the outcome would be no different.

If or where there are instances where animal welfare standards are not being adhered to, then that is reason to make sure that is remedied.

Animal based foods make up an important part of a nutritious and healthy balanced diet. A diet including meat and dairy foods recommended by national health bodies such as the NHS in the UK etc

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/

Extract:

"Most people in the UK eat and drink too many calories, too much saturated fat, sugar and salt, and not enough fruit, vegetables, oily fish or fibre.

Meat is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc and B vitamins. It's also one of the main sources of vitamin B12.

Choose lean cuts of meat and skinless poultry whenever possible to cut down on fat. Always cook meat thoroughly.

Milk and dairy foods, such as cheese and yoghurt, are good sources of protein. They also contain calcium, which helps keep your bones healthy."

Thing is billions of people all over the world depend on animal based foods for their livelihoods and or benefit from a wide range of nutritious animal based foods. The only thing that has changed is a small increase in people adopting various lifestyle choices based on their own personal beliefs, economic security and easy access to cheap imported foodstuffs. No one has a problem with that regardless.

This is a big load of utter nonsense.

It would make sense if meat eater ate noting but meat.

But the fact is even meat eaters can eat vegetarian and vegan foods - as well as eating meat.

In fact, meat eaters diet is at most 30% meat and dairy, and the rest is plant based.

edit: the cause of our obesity problem is actually a plant based one, which is caused by starchy carbs, like bread. Noone gets fat on eating meat, dairy, or fish. So the idea that plant based diets is 'better' for you is nonsense.

It's relevant in that both are unnecessary and both cause harm when that harm is being caused for somebody's personal choice of how they seek pleasure.

So you're rejecting what the leading dietetic and health associations say because of some anecdotal stories you've heard of where people benefit from going borderline carnivore? This is a good example of how going carnivore can bring about a great reduction in symptoms of gut issues, but that it's only going to be temporary relief and will pave the way for more issues long term. Vegetable oils are not a staple of a diet void of animal products. Anything highly processed such as oils, refined sugars, high salt content, refined carbs etc should be avoided for optimal health.

I haven't looked much into the requirements of cats but at a quick glance, I'm guessing nutrients such as taurine can just be supplemented for and from what I can see just because they only require nutrients found naturally in flesh, they can still consume plant foods and I see plant foods such as corn, soy and wheat are commonly found in the likes of whiskas. Just because somebody can't digest a food type, doesn't mean it's bad for them, like humans can't digest fiber but higher consumption of fiber is associated with better health in humans.

As I've said, animal products are not necessary. My point is about not causing harm where harm isn't necessary. What the NHS recommends has to fit with what most of the UK are going to be open to hearing. The Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition, who are the largest organisation of health professionals (registered dieticians etc) say this about diets void of animal products:

It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes. Plant-based diets are more environmentally sustainable than diets rich in animal products because they use fewer natural resources and are associated with much less environmental damage. Vegetarians and vegans are at reduced risk of certain health conditions, including ischemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, certain types of cancer, and obesity. Low intake of saturated fat and high intakes of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, soy products, nuts, and seeds (all rich in fiber and phytochemicals) are characteristics of vegetarian and vegan diets that produce lower total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and better serum glucose control. These factors contribute to reduction of chronic disease. Vegans need reliable sources of vitamin B-12, such as fortified foods or supplements.

Copyright © 2016 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

If you want to keep it British, here is the stance of the British Dietetic Association

• Well planned vegetarian diets (see context) can be nutritious and healthy. They are associated with lower risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, certain cancers and lower cholesterol levels. This could be because such diets are lower in saturated fat, contain fewer calories and more fiber and phytonutrients/phytochemicals (these can have protective properties) than non-vegetarian diets. (...) Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life and have many benefits.

Most people do not "depend" on animal based foods throughout the world. Plant based foods are the staple for most people, especially in poorer countries. Meat is seen as a luxury and is associated with a sense of success, power dynamics etc.

I'm not sure what you're claiming to be utter nonsense? Just because there are unhealthy plant foods (refined carbs, sugars, oils etc) doesn't take away from the health benefits of eating a whole food plant based diet. The argument here however is that animal products are not necessary and that is fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Anyone who owns a cat, or any pet for that matter contributes to the pet industry/culture, which means they have blood on their hands, and really they have no right whatsoever to judge others.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

You're not wrong.

If you reckon big business and vested interests aren't behind a lot of it think again

https://wickedleeks.riverford.co.uk/opinion/veganism-meat/scrutinise-small-print-eat-lancet

"The Eat-Lancet report commanded the airwaves recently with its proposal for a new, global one-size-fits-all diet which it grandiosely calls ‘The Great Food Transformation’. It is without precedent because it advocates a dramatic shift away from the time-honoured omnivore diet, based on all food groups, including animal foods, to “plant-based” eating."

"The Eat-Lancet report itself was funded by The Wellcome Trust, whose founder, Henry Wellcome, was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist (a Millennialist Christian group) that preaches vegetarianism and shuns red meat. Furthermore, Wellcome made his wealth in the pharmaceutical industry."

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6907429/amp/World-Health-Organization-pulls-support-controversial-planetary-health-diet.html

"World Health Organisation pulls support for "planetary health diet" that drastically cuts back on meat after critics warn it is dangerous to health"

The misinformation

https://vegan.com/health/vegan-dietitian-review-what-the-health/

A vegan dietitian blows the whistle of misinformation being pushed about plant food diets based on the "dishonest" use of nutrition science and research.

*Apologies for the newspaper link the other main articles on that seem to pay to view.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Ah another one who wants to get rid of all pets 🙄

And thing is that's absolute unmitigated rubbish which has already been thoroughly debunked many times here

Its illegal to kick any any animal in the UK and Ireland so you better explain your pet theory to the likes of the the rscpca and the courts in the UK and the same here who have convicted people like this for cruelty towards animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

That's absolutely ridiculous. Of course you do. You simply can't equate pet ownerships with wilfully being cruel to an animal. It's simply not comparable regardless of what mental gymnastics you perform to try and get from point a to b.

So an ambassador to the UN and some random NHS doctor are the critics on the daily mail article? Doctors are by no means experts on nutrition, in fact they get very little training on nutrition in their medical tuition.

The second article is good, thanks. It even contradicts the first article you've posted :) It's from a dietician who advocates for veganism based on science who is criticising a movie which contained some flaws because there is enough evidence to show a plant based diet is sufficient for all stages of life and that when film makers misinterpret studies, and push flawed information, it gives fuel to others to undermine the credibility of the movement. I've never once mentioned this movie, I've just been quoting the statements from the leading dietetic associations worldwide, but this article is actually good advocacy towards veganism.

There's plenty of people who take care of animals because it provides the best life possible for that animal. They don't see them as their property so wouldn't call themselves "owners", but there is no blood on their hands for taking care of an animal who would otherwise suffer. Buying animals that have been bred for the purpose of profit/exploitation, because you want a status symbol, fashion icon or a cute living toy is completely different to rescuing animals from shelters or other instances where they would endure a lower quality of life than what they can have under the care of a human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don’t know enough about human nutrition to say if a fully plant based diet is the same, better ir worse than a diet of meat and plant based food. I’d say it would likely be better than a diet of mainly meat though.

I used to eat far too much processed meat and not enough veg. Now I like veg and other plant based foods much more. My aim is to eat more free range and organic food. Eat less 4 euro chickens and packet hams etc.

There are some that go on this paleo or Keto diet and they only eat animal based foods. I don't care what science they try pull out their arse, the evidence is that too high of consumption of meat lowers your life expectancy. A healthy diet is one that will have balance and moderation. I love meat, beef particularly, but I wouldn't eat it every day. Balance and moderation.

The packets of ham you mention often have as little as 60% ham in them. You're absolutely correct in steering away from processed meats. But frankly the cause is in the consumer. People don't want to pay for prime meat. They want to pick up a packet of "ham" for a euro in tescos. The better ham, low additives are expensive

This is hillarious. I looked up the American Dietetic Association being lauded in a number of comments.

Funny thing is this private body with the impressive sounding name are not quite what you might imagine

The American Dietetic Association is actually a private lobby and interest group which was co-founded by one Lena Cooper who was an active Seventh Day Adventist.

"Adventist dietary beliefs derive from the writings of Ellen White, its mid-19th century co-founder and spiritual prophet.

"She would go into trances and receive what she called visions from God," says Ronald L. Numbers, a professor emeritus at the University of Wisconsin and expert on the history of Adventism.

...White began to describe visions on diet and health, leading her to become a vegetarian "distinguishing between clean and unclean meat according to the Levitical laws."

Today Adventists and the American Dietetic  Association continue to  push vegetarian and vegan agendas actively onto national health policies in many countries.

"Thanks to White’s guidance from “above, Adventists have also become extraordinarily media-savvy ... Adventists were early adopters of medical programs on radio and cooking shows on television to spread their medical and health gospels.

The church now owns 62 publishing houses. Among its members are 25,000 “literature evangelists” tasked with “spreading” the vegetarian and health message in nearly 380 languages. It also owns 853 radio stations and 441 television stations. And it produces more than 70,000 podcasts each year in 229 languages with over 1.1 billion downloads in 2015.

Science v belief

The problem throughout, Fettke said is that discussions and communications are based on belief, not science.

Vegetarian groups regularly quote Adventist health studies in support of their cause, he said. As well, Adventists do these studies on themselves, often publish in their own press and cross-reference off each other.

http://foodmed.net/2017/08/medical-evangelism-adventist-diet-advice/

https://www.inforum.com/lifestyle/adventists-believe-the-bible-favors-vegetarianism-shouldnt-their-dietary-studies-tell-us-that

And the quoted American Dietetic Association paper being quoted here promoting plant based diets?

Both authors of the paper are vegan, one is also a seventh day adventist. and the reviewers of said paper are also also vegan / vegetarian. Who'd have thunk it 😅

Post edited by Mecanudo on

A diet centered around a varied array whole plant foods in proper proportions, avoiding processed and super processed foods will meet all nutritional requirements, while supplementing B12 of course. There's evidence to suggest that there are inherent issues with animal protein (found in meat, dairy etc) being pro inflammatory and increasing the risk of disease. Erring on the side of caution would therefore suggest to meet nutritional requirements through whole plant foods as much as possible.

It would be even more hilarious if they actually had terrible health, but that's not the case :)

I'm not actually sure what you're trying to prove spending all this time linking to articles though? Are you trying to disprove that it's not necessary to consume animal products?

Anyway, here's a longer list of statements from other associations if you think there being a religious agenda behind the American Dietetic Association voids any relevant scientific studies done under good scientific merit.

Dietitians of Canada

• A healthy vegan diet can meet all your nutrient needs at any stage of life including when you are pregnant, breastfeeding or for older adults.

The British National Health Service

• With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs.

The British Nutrition Foundation

• A well-planned, balanced vegetarian or vegan diet can be nutritionally adequate ... Studies of UK vegetarian and vegan children have revealed that their growth and development are within the normal range.

The Dietitians Association of Australia

• Vegan diets are a type of vegetarian diet, where only plant-based foods are eaten. With good planning, those following a vegan diet can cover all their nutrient bases, but there are some extra things to consider.

The United States Department of Agriculture

• Vegetarian diets (see context) can meet all the recommendations for nutrients. The key is to consume a variety of foods and the right amount of foods to meet your calorie needs. Follow the food group recommendations for your age, sex, and activity level to get the right amount of food and the variety of foods needed for nutrient adequacy. Nutrients that vegetarians may need to focus on include protein, iron, calcium, zinc, and vitamin B12.

The National Health and Medical Research Council

• Appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthy and nutritionally adequate. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the lifecycle. Those following a strict vegetarian or vegan diet can meet nutrient requirements as long as energy needs are met and an appropriate variety of plant foods are eaten throughout the day

The Mayo Clinic

• A well-planned vegetarian diet (see context) can meet the needs of people of all ages, including children, teenagers, and pregnant or breast-feeding women. The key is to be aware of your nutritional needs so that you plan a diet that meets them.

The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

• Vegetarian diets (see context) can provide all the nutrients you need at any age, as well as some additional health benefits.

Harvard Medical School

• Traditionally, research into vegetarianism focused mainly on potential nutritional deficiencies, but in recent years, the pendulum has swung the other way, and studies are confirming the health benefits of meat-free eating. Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses.

British Dietetic Association

• Well planned vegetarian diets (see context) can be nutritious and healthy. They are associated with lower risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, certain cancers and lower cholesterol levels. This could be because such diets are lower in saturated fat, contain fewer calories and more fiber and phytonutrients/phytochemicals (these can have protective properties) than non-vegetarian diets. (...) Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life and have many benefits.

• Advertisement

I reckon one of the problems is the amount of crazy lifestyle food misinformation out there at the moment. As other posters said balance is the best approach.

Animal based foods in combination with various plant based foods remain the main recommendations of a well balanced diet.

For example

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/

This is advice given to be achievable and not appear so daunting to the average person. You can see how people react even when they are simply being told animal products are not necessary in this thread. Imagine advising close to 70 million people not to eat the food they've grown up eating and identify so much with in their culture, habits, taste etc.

Also from the NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/why-5-a-day/#:~:text=A%20portion%20of%20fruit%20or,and%20some%20types%20of%20cancer.

5 a day is commonly recommended because it appears to be an achievable amount and is the minimum that should be eaten. It's much better to eat more than 5 a day though, but again, they need to appeal to the average person in a population where it's normal to develop heart disease, diabetes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Did anyone see panorama on BBC last night? Where's the outrage over this kind of thing? Lots of dairy products made in the UK are sold here.

https://twitter.com/HazelTreacy1/status/1493504391890022403

Can't imagine it's easy for a 90kg human to get a 500kg cow to move. Oats are a little easier to handle I'd say.

Looks like the Dietitians of Canada/UnlockFood.ca have updated their blurb on diets void of animal food:

Anyone can follow a vegan diet – from children to teens to older adults. It’s even healthy for pregnant or nursing mothers. A well-planned vegan diet is high in fibre, vitamins and antioxidants. Plus, it’s low in saturated fat and cholesterol. This healthy combination helps protect against chronic diseases.

Vegans have lower rates of heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer than non-vegans. Vegans also have lower blood pressure levels than both meat-eaters and vegetarians and are less likely to be overweight.

So you're now claiming mainstream UK governmental advice on diet and nutrition is either wrong or they're just playing a game so as not to confuse the "average" person?

My apologies if I take that with a very large bucket of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Besides posters who are getting nearer and nearer to Southpark parodies with every post-

Posters who are making parodies of themselves and been so 'out there' they have made themselves irrelevant to the discussion as they repeatedly go 'off road' based on their ideology/lifestyle choices. It certainly is not conducive to getting more members to join their cause - quite the opposite in fact!

I suspect the intent is for such posters to feel good about themselves rather than recruiting members to their 'cause'. I think engaging with such posters only encourages them to keep repeating mantras regardless of the topic.

--

I would like to get the thread back to the main issue which the thread was created for. Because I am curious as to what the majority of people think.

So I suppose I should ask what do the more ahem - 'mainstream' posters think of the Kurt Zouma scenario.

Is it an overreaction? As the cat was not killed Zouma was fined etc.

Or was it an underreaction as it showed Zouma's mindset?

Given the fact Zouma is a pro footballer (role model to youngsters) does this mean that he should be held to a high level of accountability than the average man on the street?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Evidence suggests the more fruit and veg consumed, the better the health. NHS have stated that anything more than 5 a day is a bonus, but they still campaign for 5 a day because it's seen as an achievable and affordable target.

As is the NHS recommendation for a healthy balanced diet of both plant and animal based foods.

I agree, let's get back on topic.

As far as I am concerned, the punishment for Zouma did not go far enough. Footballers are looked up to especially by young people, and they are certainly paid enough that we should expect them to adhere to basic standards of ... at least not being sadistic scumbags. It was clear that he did what he did solely to enjoy the cats fear and pain, and this is not someone that should be in any kind of position of influence or trust. The fact that he happened not to kill or (we assume) permanently injure the cats may be something of a mitigating factor, but realistically, not much.

Shame on West Ham for treating the matter with kid gloves and shame on companies like Betway for continuing to support this. Though considering that large companies had no problem being associated with the Genocide Olympics in Beijing, perhaps West Ham's sponsors are small fish in comparison.

• Advertisement

I think its possible he may still face a charge/ prosecution under animal welfare legislation as has happened in other similar incidents.

www.news18.com/amp/news/football/kurt-zouma-withdrawn-from-west-ham-team-due-to-illness-4774646.html

Let's hope so.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Cats exist whether there is a pet culture or not.

Istanbul where I once lived has a very large population of feral cat's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cats_in_Istanbul

They're everywhere. You'll see then in the trees, in the car parks, random cats in one's garden every day. I would describe them as semi wild. You can pick them up or they'll run away.

So, either we keep them as pets, or they'll be everywhere anyway. Particularly in urban areas where it's conductive to them finding shelter and food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If you contribute to the pet industry then you play a small part in the torture, killing and mutilation of millions of animals every year.

Kurt Zouma kicked a cat which was nasty and cruel, and potentially damaging. But what is happening to him now is like being accused of assault by those who have committed genocide.

You can say what you want to defend the pet industry, or where you get your pet, or how you treat pets under your control, but ultimately by having a pet you are vindicating the pet industry and popularizing it, which will only lead to the further mistreatment of animals.

Now, personally I am ok with that. I have had pets and am as guilty as anyone, but I don't have the brass neck to judge someone else over what is really a misdemeanor by comparison to what we are all responsible for.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

You think the pet industry is animal abuse. Most people wouldn't agree with you in the slightest. We are not talking zoo animals here or exotic animals that shouldn't ever be in personal ownership, I'm talking cats and dog.

Dogs in particular that are not wild animals and would never survive on their own.

If you think owning a dog and caring for it like the vast majority of people do is abuse and excludes them from judging someone who kicks a defenseless animal for amusement aren't entitled to be disgusted, there isn't anything to discuss. I understand the position you hold, I simply can't understand the logic, nor do I agree with it at all, but I certainly don't have a brass neck for holding my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I for one think there should be a limit on the amount of pet dogs in the world, they are terrible for the environment, as bad as owning an SUV apparently with all the meat they consume, and now plastic from pet superstores etc. Not a popular opinion but there are billions of them on the planet now and they are a strain on the Earth's resources. People buy gourmet cuts of meat from gourmet pet food companies, talk about extreme civilisation, it's ridiculous.

Do you not think there's a big difference between being a caretaker for an animal who would otherwise be in a far worse position without your care, by rescuing them from a sanctuary etc, compared to actively fueling the breeding industries by buying designer pets for status, fashion or whatever selfish reason and then referring to them as your property and yourself as their owner?

One is reducing the suffering and the amount of animals who have to suffer, the other is increasing the suffering and the amount of animals that will suffer.

I really can’t believe we’re still trying to conflate a footballer kicking a cat with vegan diets and “caretaking” a pet dog. But then, that’s probably my fault. Somehow

note to self; when the annual dog licence reminder comes through the letter box, I’ll send it back unpaid, saying I don’t own a dog. I caretake it.

The ongoing discussion has revolved around the attempted justification of one form of harm over another when both are still harm, and both unnecessary, so naturally the different opinions will create disparity.

I'd actually be curious to see how that argument would hold up in court for the dog license. Maybe they'd end up changing the wording, or throwing you in an asylum with all those extreme vegans not wanting animals to suffer 😂

• Advertisement

Nah don't think so. Philosophical meanderings aside I reckon a lot of posters have been trying to get the thread back about the Zouma kicking a cat.

Btw I think the previous poster was being humorous about the dog license thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

funny how there's hardly any backlash about Sir Mark Todd, either here or in the uk about whipping a horse with a branch on social media, but then again he's white, and hasn't had to pay any sort of fine as far as i know. Is it his colour ? or is it the type of animal ?

I'll go with cos he's a 'Sir' and he was also involved with those posh type 'sports' : Showjumping and Eventing - My opinion as to why he gets a 'pass' .. If he was a 'working class' chap like Gordon, well....

As far as I can see that story all over social media with people calling for all types of things and sanctions.

2 day ago: Looks like the BHA has handed Mark Todd an suspension as a trainer following the incident as well and is banned from racing. He's also lost a load of sponsorship deals as well.

Bizarrely I can't find any update on the Zouma story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

was there a fine of a quarter of a million pounds, people calling for him to be sacked from his job ? were his animals removed ?

Unlike Zouma He's effectively been suspended from his job as a horse trainer and can't race horses so his income loses will probably be a lot more than the £250,000 wage fine than Zouma got. Looks like he like Zouma could face further legal action. Looks like he could also be financially penalised by the BHA.

AfIk the horse he whipped wasn't his. So no it can't be taken off him.

But do continue to make it about the colour of his skin etc because obviously that's very relevant.

But looks like that story is all over social media. Not sure why you thought it wasn't. Maybe start a thread on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Do you think the law should be different for people who get paid a certain amount? What has his financial situation got to do with his behaviour in this case? If someone looks up to you, should you be held differently under the law than me? Seems like weird criteria to consider. Surely the law should be equal for all and punish him for his crime equal to if it was you or I?

Good question. No, I think anyone who engages in that kind of behaviour should face serious legal consequences, whoever they are. In this case, I think, a legal/investigative process is ongoing and that should continue.

My problem in this case, is that people, especially children, look up to football players in particular. Now while to my mind that doesn't impose an onus on players to be paragons of virtue, I do think there be an absolute red line beyond which a player should never cross. And if there were such a line, Zouma would have crossed it. Thusly, I have a serious problem with West Ham keeping this vile scumbag on the team, and given their failures, their sponsors like Betway for continuing to allow their names to be associated with cat kickers.

I'm not a fan of "cancel culture" to say the least but in very rare cases, it's warranted. This is one of them.

Now, I assume everyone who is getting upset about a horse getting whipped, is also against horses getting whipped while racing... and wearing painful and uncomfortable bits... and being forced to run around with someone on their back... and just their general confinement and lack of bodily autonomy. Or is there a level of exploitation and inflicting suffering that's acceptable for entertainment? Just a little suffering is ok as long as humans can have their day out wearing hats and placing a few bets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The law isn't different or being applied any differently to either Zouma or Todd. AFAIK criminal investigations are ongoing.

They are also members of their respective professional and sporting organisations who value their public image and reputations. Membership is a privilege which brings certain benefits and corresponding responsibilities.

The organisations have their own codes of conduct including consequences for members whose actions damage the public image and reputation of the organisaions. This is separate to the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Agreed, so mentioning his salary is completely redundant and in no way connected with the crime/behaviour. He should be investigated then dealt with by the law. Be it a fine, conviction, whatever the law demands.

The post I quoted mentioned his financial situation and that he shouldn't be in a position of influence or trust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement