Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male Victims of Domestic Violence

Comments

Surely the honesty and transparency is the deciding factor in this case. A man who is open about not wanting kids but continuing with a relationship as long as she consents is a world apart from a woman lying about contraception and deliberately getting pregnant without her partner's knowledge/consent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope. Just more of your gaslighting with a not remotely subtle hint of racism.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭zv2

I heard of one case. I know of another possible case and I know of one case where she said he was the father but she knew he wasn't.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This doesn't sound like much of a basis to enact or alter legislation.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Do you not get that some women decide they don't care what the partner wants and proceeds to get pregnant. People don't believe my personal knowledge but it does happen and is documented. The latest question is "How prevalent is sperm theft" rather than admitting it is an issue at all. Could you image laughing off a person telling somebody that they know two rape victims and the response is I don't beleive you and sure how common is that?

If a man interferes with a condom during sex to get the person pregnant it is considered rape in some places but if the same happens to a man it he was stringing her along by not having children and he did the deed so is responsible for the child etc... It is a men's issue and real

How about the men who discover the child they are raising isn't theirs and have to pay child support if they break up?

This is all abuse and supported by judicial systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I don't think it's feminism at all personally i just think it's controlling women, weather it be down to cruelty or being mean or their own insecurities, We have had a couple of really nice ladies in here making some great points and they can clearly see the issues aswell stating they'd never treat their other male half in this case in such a way ie asking for permission or speaking for them, and fair play i'm jealous of your husbands ! Unfortunately in my experience anyway there has been more mean and controlling than nice which has just turned me off and now i live the life of a bachelor and have done for a long time, and just to be fair, i'm 100% certain there is men behaving this way aswell to women just i don't see it very much in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Out of interest do you really think that it doesnt happen? As i woman who's partner did not want children and was very clear about it from the outset, the amount of people who told me to just stick with it and he'd change his mind. Almost all of them women. I was also told he'd be grand if it happened by "accident" where air quotes were used.

The problem is its incredibly difficult to prove. I suspect someone i know did it. I knew her partner did not want children and she did. They now have a child and he is constantly warning us about how contraception can fail and its not fool proof and to be prepared. I know the woman in question very well and would be fairly confident she stopped birth control without telling him, or just got very lax about taking it. I would say its more widespread than people think, but if a mans partner gets pregnant then society says he has just be a man and take responsibility. So very little can be done to prove it. But its an awful thing to do to someone.

You established the association. Men's rights groups = angry men.

Although, I'm curious about this. Feminism was founded, and expanded on, by women who were angry over being discriminated against. So, why should men who are angry be dismissed for that anger, when women angry over discrimination should be listened to?

I'm not even twisting words here. It's pretty basic logic. You've just sought to reinforce a double standard. That it's unreasonable for men to be angry over their position in society...

I've also looked at many of the Men's Rights groups, and have attended a variety of meetings in the past. You're right.. many of those involved are angry. They're angry when their kids are taken away from them, they're angry when divorce settlements favour their female partner, they're angry over claims of abuse/harassment/etc which are not based on facts but associations... There are many examples of men being marginalised or simply badly treated in society, and little interest in addressing the imbalances that occur.

Surely, you would want to support the men who are angry over these imbalances, when they're the ones most likely to have a personal stake (and determination) to bring about change, and a more fair society? After all, feminism wasn't driven by women/people who were absent of anger and outrage over how society was treating them?

Have you done your research? There is a difference between physical violence and non physical violence. Studies show male/female abuse are about the same in terms of prevalence.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

It's always interesting on these types of threads that posters will engage in behaviour that they supposedly hate purely because the genders are flipped. So far we've seen gaslighting, whataboutery and downplaying of the issue, all of which would be met with disdain by the same posters if this was thread about violence against women.

All done under the banner of equality as well. It's like those strange looking male feminists who show up to protest loudly about women's issues. On the face of it they are doing a good thing but I always look at such "white knights" with innate suspicion.

I never said it didn't happen. I just wanted to know how prevalent it is.

100% i never trust a man that says he's a male feminist it's just so weird, Eoghan McDermott a case in point

Yes, a lot of them are yes-men who want to be on the popular side. I doubt if they really give a flying frog about women's issues. I just don't trust them. They are like the people who say, because of climate change, that 'we' are the generation that let the next generation down. More populist band-wagon jumping.

Thank you for your honesty. Lots of women have these kinds of chats but not with men. Claims I made up my friends and here you are saying it spoken about by women as not a big deal backs up what I said and my female friends confirmation.

Even in the the comedy "Parenthood" a woman interferes with her diaphragm and it isn't a big deal. Yet if you see a movie or show where a man interferes with contraception he is an evil monster. That is not equality and is being passed off as social acceptable because women want children and it would be unfair to stop them regardless of the father's feelings

There would be no way of knowing. I dont think it would be considered a crime so no way to report it. Plus the general attitude of a man complaining about a partner getting pregnant is to just be an man and support the child.

I think you know that there aren't going to be any practical statistics on such a thing.

In the past, these claims were totally rejected, since the assumption was that sexual relations between consenting adults imposes on them, including on men, the obligation to use contraception

However, if you do a few searches, you'll find enough articles from legal professions discussing it, and the implications for men/women, including the difficulties in getting such a claim accepted. Even when shown that theft occurs, usually the man is still held responsible, and liable to pay child support. It's like the area of "Stealthing", which has received a lot of coverage at different times, but would still be difficult to get reliable statistics on how often it actually happens.

It's not my job to research other people's arguments. If there is no data, I've a right to be skeptical. I'd also like to reiterate that I never said it didn't happen despite pretences that I have.

• Advertisement

What difference does it make how often it happens it is wrong. The correct response to you it to acknowledge it is a real thing and condemn it rather than try to belittle it because of how often it can be proven. You don't think women get pregnant by somebody else and claiming a different father is a thing either? I mean there are TV shows showing women doing this on regularly. Again a form of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

That pretty much sums up what a friend of mine in Cheltenham is going though, and he was basically only stayed around for the sake of the children. However a few weeks ago there was a nasty incident when he got pushed over in the bathroom, hit his head on the bath, and was knocked out. Thankfully he narrow missed the tap otherwise he would now be dead. He has now left the house.

TV shows. Seriously? This is your golden standard of evidence?

It's not my job to research other people's arguments.

It's not your job to be here at all, or to argue against other peoples posts. Not really sure why you felt the need to make such a statement.

If there is no data, I've a right to be skeptical. I'd also like to reiterate that I never said it didn't happen despite pretences that I have.

Did I say that you shouldn't be sceptical? You asked a question and I provided some information for you to consider. Obviously, you ignored the link considering the speed of your response, so.. why ask the question at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

That is not correct. A woman withholding sex be classified as abuse? Seriously? There is no obligation on anyone to engage in sexual acts. If it was abusivefor a female partner to withold sex, then to stay clear of the law what is she supposed to do? Give in to the unwanted advances of a male and lie back and think of England and do it even though she doesn't want to just to keep him happy? That is downright abusive of the male wanting her to have sex even though she doesn't want to.

Sex is only something that can be done by two consenting adults. Nobody is entitled to sex, and nobody is obliged to have against their wishes. Ever.

It is all a matter of consent. Again, it is another manifestation of toxic masculinity for a men to be saying that a spouse who wont consent to sex in a strained relationship are committing abuse.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Change the roles here and would there be an issue?

• Advertisement

That is not the issue here. The issue here is using sex/affection as a weapon of control; do as I say, or else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It is evidence of socially acceptable views. I dumbed it down so you could comprehend. But what is your defense to not acknowledging abuse of this sort? You have no defense just deflection. What a weird thing for you to be so bothered about belittling horrible abuse. Why are you doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

What if the motivation for with holding sex and affection is to punish your partner? Could it be considered abusive behaviour then? Your right nobody is entitled to sex or intimacy and no one should ever feel forced into it. But I do think that some people use it to hurt their partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Charlene is a rural born woman, she grew up with no axe to grind in terms of gender etc ,her opinions in that interview were very honest and unpretentious, not typical of the scripted approved soundbites you usually hear from female public figures

10. They pressure you into having sex with them.

For many people, a healthy sex life is a core component of a happy relationship. Part of that is having sex only when you want to, not because your partner is pressuring you into it. "Coercion is abuse, and no one ever has to have sex when they don't desire it," Renye says. It's normal for your sex drive to ebb and flow, and that should be honored within your relationship. If your partner is deliberately withholding sex or physical intimacy from you as a means of manipulation, that could also be abusive, Renye says.

11. They shut down and withhold emotional intimacy.

"Emotional withholding is when a partner stonewalls or shuts down nonverbally as a means of exerting control or manipulation of the situation or the other person," explains Renye. "It’s painful for both parties and extremely confusing for the one on the receiving end of this type of toxicity." Part of being in a relationship is communicating your emotions to your partner, including when you're upset. It's not OK for your partner to shut down on you without explanation and leave you in the dark, wondering what the hell you did. Everyone needs space to process their thoughts and feelings from time to time, but if you notice a pattern in which you have to beg for your partner to let you in on what they're thinking, that's a huge problem.

It works both ways (for both genders).... it's a sign of emotional abuse.

Also the piece you quoted referred to withholding affection... not sex.

It's not evidence. It's a pathetic basis for your lies and gaslighting. Nothing more than that whatsoever. Toxic masculinity on full display.

If you want, do provide some data. Otherwise, relying on what you saw on TV shows serves for a poor basis for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

There's actually a recent thread on Boards where a pregnant 40yo was gonna lie to the 23yo who got her poled and pretend that one of her gay mates was the kids father.

Just that you're not engaging in any kind of fair/honest discussion. Grand. That's firmly established now.

You literally assumed that I thought it was my actual job to be here. I don't know what to say to something so ridiculous.

But yes, since you're continuing to propagate lies then let's leave it.

She's a grand girl who grew up with a bunch of brothers so she understands men.

Very true, the idea that having kids would not have been discussed long in advance of marriage or a commitment to a long term relationship is laughable.

My fiance and I discussed it early and two years before we had our first but she knew I only wanted two kids ,if she announced today she wanted another, unless I agree ,is it reasonable to expect me to walk ?

Of course not ( above is hypothetical, she absolutely does not want another child)

haha... what lies?

I didn't "literally assume" anything.. I responded to your own written piece. Just as I haven't propagated any lies. Rather than engage in the discussion, you constantly deflect, or seek to dismiss others viewpoints without any serious effort to counter them.

The sad thing is that I used to respect your posts, but in recent years you've ditched all that to become this.

I often think their backs must be in bits from mining for WOKE tokens on a daily basis

• Advertisement

Even they are 100% genuine, they are truly insufferable to listen to or be around, could power a small town if smugness could be converted to energy

That too but she also wasn't influenced by a particular kind of middle class Dublin attitude and also didn't succumb or sell out to it

I did provide proof. Go look at the wiki page it has cases. Again it is you gaslighting.

The article makes it sound like things are changing. At the very least the quality of reporting/data is getting better.

I think conversations around domestic violence experienced by men can be very difficult (as seen in this thread) because it's a sensitive issue and those affected need to be given a platform to talk about it. That's a difficult thing to come out and do. The people who need a voice get drowned out by people with alternative agendas (like making it a men vs. women issue, or making it an anti-feminist issue). These people find it easier to be vocal because they're talking about stuff that angers them instead of addressing the real subject.

In terms of what I'd like to see done, I think we need to better understand the solutions to domestic violence against men. For the more understood scenario of female victims, we know that finances and property are often the primary form of control, so a refuge makes sense. But for men, while I'm sure we do need some refuges, maybe we're ignoring the differences in typical methods of control? I'd imagine men are more/also concerned with things like maintaining custody of their children, social exclusion, or even getting some home support if their partner was using housework as a way of controlling them (like not letting them look after themselves to the point that it was a form of control, calling them useless etc.).

So you aren't denying it happens, but people who claim it happens are lying and gaslighting?

I fail to see any evidence of toxic masculinity in any of the replies to you.

The same arguments is made about rape, women not reporting it because they feared they wouldnt be believed or be treated differently. Thankfully people are fighting against that stigma and making it easier for this behaviour to be reported and punished so that more reliable statistics are available. The same courtesy should be extended to men in situations like these since it is equality we are looking for here.

well i can tell you the threat of "i don't need you and i'll leave tomorrow and you won't see the kids" looms large in alot of families, and after the man has been asked to leave or made leave he go's through the family court to gain access, the mother can still say oh he or she isn't well.

Add to that, the now single dad, probably still paying half the mortgage and now rent as he's been kicked out of his house and is paying maintenance on top is in serious financial trouble, and mental trouble as he's lost his kids, house and partner. I'd never belittle womens troubles which are many with abusive men, but this never gets talked about it cripples men in this situation

Pointing to the influence of feminism in society, and being critical of that influence, isn't being anti-feminist, or making this a gender war.

It's about recognising the realities involved. Society, by it's nature, conditions those within it. We've seen decades of feminist led social change, a lot of which was positive, but it was done without any sense of balance being desired.. since feminism is firmly focused on women's needs/desires rather than equality. Ask anyone, and there would be very few people around today who would have anything negative to say about first or even second wave feminism, but ask them about modern feminism, and with a little bit of digging, you'll get a range of negative opinions on the topic.

Passing these issues off as some kind of gender war, or attack on feminism, is part of the overall problem. For male rights to be established as important, we need to be able to criticise and comment on the range of change that feminism has managed... along with the social conditioning that has come from those changes. Without that, there's not going to be any substantial improvement for men in society, because to do so, would remove women from the position of victims in society. To recognise that women can be aggressors, abusers, etc, we need to stop seeing them as victims. It's really that simple. We've known for decades the rates of child abuse, and other forms of abuse that women engage in, but such aspects are generally ignored or deflected so that the focus remains firmly fixed on males as aggressors. As long as that continues, we're not going to see much sympathy or empathy for male related problems, because that would mean that women are no longer the automatic victim of such situations.

That's the real problem here. Social conditioning.. and the embrace of double standards, which allow one gender to be held collectively responsible, and the other gender to be collectively innocent.

A lot of men won't report domestic violence because it is not a manly thing to do. And I sort of agree. Men should be strong. They should get up on their back legs and fix the stuff. He should confront her and defeat her. He should be a real man. That's what real men do. The only reason to report stuff is when there are legal issues. You can't solve legal issues simply by being tough. Otherwise, be tough. That's what I think, for what it's worth.

• Advertisement

A lot of men won't report domestic violence because it is not a manly thing to do

A lot of men won't report domestic violence because they feel that they won't be believed, and worse yet, a counter claim of violence from their partner could end their direct association with their children. Family courts still favour passing custody of children to the mother, just as there have been references in reports by police officers to dismissing the claims of male victims in terms of domestic abuse. That's been the case, both when police arrive at the house, and again, later in court appearances.

Many men are aware enough to understand that culturally they have little real support in such situations.. and they're not going to put themselves before a firing squad on the off chance that someone listens..

There is also the simple aspect of fear and dependency. It's no different than the case of male abusers in relationships. Psychologically, the same emotional dependencies, and fears can form, where the victim is reluctant to end the abuse, due to their own feelings of self-worth.

But yes, socially/culturally, men have not been encouraged to frame such experiences as being something they can ask for help over. Instead, the expectation is that the guy should man up, take it like a man, or whatever..

Advertisement