Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for a pay rise ?

Options
  • 17-02-2022 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Long story short, I've been working with my company (builders company kind of work), for 3 years now, I'm their only employee (we are 3, me and my 2 bosses) .

Their business kept growing since I've started working with them, they give me the days off I need, holidays etc without any issues, great atmosphere (they're looking after me) and never had an issue whatsoever.

I never missed a day, never been sick, never been late, work Saturdays and Sundays when needed.

I'm wondering if it's ok for me to ask for a pay rise after 3 years ?

Thank you for your feedback.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

You would be insane not to. Inflation for starters but 3 years working weekends as needed with no raise!!!

If they offer you anything that isn't fair then you need to dust off your CV and leave because they aren't taking actually taking care of you.

You are more than entitled to ask. You were entitled to ask for a raise 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭daheff

Should be looking for at least a cost of living rise every year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No raises available for us in construction. Covid lockdown hit lot of construction companies very hard. Cash flow was an issue. I'll be waiting till the summer to hit my lot up.. carrying several loss making jobs still. Most of our sites were shut and we were paid through, but 4 day week

They pay through lockdown or working anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

absolutely fine to ask, so long as you’re ok with the reply. For example if they say no, would you be happy to stay there, or would you feel awkward? What is the flexibility worth to you? Have you seen similar roles with better pay locally? These are just all things to think about. But of course it’s fine to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mojo89

Thanks for your replies, we weren't affected by covid at all... We kept working nonstop except at the beginning of the pandemic for a couple of weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Construction is a load of bollox, unless your a site manager/foreman or company owner or whatever then you'll never make ends meet. Our wages went up about .50c an hour last week. Price of fuel has nearly went up that in the last month. Wish I could get out of it at the best of times and I'm only 33.

@screamer it's a small family business, I think I'll be ok to stay there and won't be feeling awkward. Felxibility is great, they give me any days off that I need. I just think I deserve a bit more of what I actually own, for the work I produce and how the business improved since I'm with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

There will be awkwardness....have no doubt about that.

If you're on here asking if you should ask for a pay rise then I think you know the answer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Then ask, sure nothing ventured nothing gained

@gifted I'm asking because I'm not Irish, moved here in 2018 and I wasn't sure as to how things works for pay rise here.

Thanks for all the advices tho 👍🏽

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You can always ask... but the one thing missing from your post - justification: Have you increased productivity for instance?

@Jim2007 I did indeed, I kept increasing productivity, they send me do jobs on me own, I always take initiative or bring new ideas to improve their business... I'm a hard worker and always put all I have into it as I love my job.

I just believe that what I owe at the moment isn't enough for what I bring to the company, especially when they were only focus on a specific kind of job before employing me, now it has expanded drastically and we're doing a lot of big jobs across the country.

Post edited by Mojo89 on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Then go for it and make your case. And good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Are they paying CIF rates do they do any work for local council or any other local attoroity, if so they should be paying you CIF rates nearly 15 an Hour or 19 an hour for an experienced GO, went up 50c an hour this month and another 50c an hour next feb 2023.

Advertisement