Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to crack down on teens carrying out assaults in Dublin and posting videos to TikTok

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Just because you imagine something doesn't make it so.

I know that is a step too far for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Remember when Eamon Ryan objected to public order units doing their jobs in the City center and wanted them to be more thoughtful and considerate to rampaging wee scumbags ,

resulted in them being highly restricted in how they operate

Eamon Ryan says public order incidents need to be managed in 'more thought-through manner' (thejournal.ie)

more political interference in policing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

An early 1980s studies from the RAND Corporation definitively showed that the popularity of boxers such as George Foreman and Joe Frazier was directly responsible for inner-city violence. That and skiffle music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

"Let's ban the internet so these incidents stop happening". Unfortunately that won't stop these incidents happening as much as stricter punishments and lowering the age of being treated as a full adult for serious offences, while bulking of Gardai resources, will.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

theres always one...

who said anything about banning the internet?

you do realise the internet is moderated already...my point is tiktok are also to blame. there is clearly greater scope for trends on a video sharing app. if you know how tiktoks algo works you would realise its not the same as twitter, insta etc. if you don't believe me have a look at some of the stuff that got through.

anyway they will be under serious presure once an incident happens as its demographic is so young. trust me i worked for them and they took 1000s of moderators from other platforms to police it.

find me a joyriding video/gang callouts on facebook and insta...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You sure it wasn't Joe Louis, Max Baer and Swing/jazz music.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Hodger

The sunday world have reported about a story when an 11 year old was attacked by older teenagers who were recording in their phones' to more then likely they posted on tik tok.

Gardaí investigate vicious Ballyfermot gang assault that left 11-year-old in hospital - SundayWorld.com

• Seeing some antics on it, I actually have come to believe there may be credibility to the theory that tiktok is a very smartly Chinese designed app with the strategic goal of disturbing western youth.

It doesn't seem extremely far fetched seeing how some **** eejits use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If you knew how the internet works you'll know that it is impossible to regulate every social platform. These videos would even be sent to private groups where videos could be shared. It is a pointless solution to try to catch the falling knife of going after Tik Tok and other companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Locked because they don't want the perpetrators criticised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

yes thats why the tiktok moderation is growing and growing and their mods are payed very handsomely compared to other moderation jobs.

its not regulation, its about not allowing illegal videos on thei platform, a platform mainly catering for teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going to ‘crack down’… how do they do that exactly ?

do they as in the Gardai actually mean, to do something about it ? Is that cracking down now…? Their jobs ? Jesus way to go…*applause*

what is it with all these violent little attention seeking grimeballs all of a sudden…? Where does it stem from?.. ahh yes the ‘look at me, I’d like to be the centre of attention’ generation…be nice if they might meet their match and that gets shared all over TikTok … “bu bu but hey , don’t arrest me / put me in da ambulance till I get it on tiktok wahhhhh…

Precisely…. In my area that I grew up in the ‘’80’s had fûck all, now… 2 soccer clubs, 3 GAA clubs, 2 tennis clubs, youth club, 2 parks, swimming pool, gyms with classes and access for younger people, shopping centres…it’s not exactly deprived dot com out there…. There is literally mountains of stuff to be doing indoors and out…

little psycho freaks need to get a grip as do our Gardai and judiciary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Usually, crack down means assigning more resources to it as it's grown beyond what is locally possible to police. What crack down doesn't tell you is that those additional resources are taken from somewhere else, so something else is going to suffer as a result. It would be great to have an additional 1000 Gardai on standby for these occasions, but with the rate of only about 300 Gardai increase a year, it's gonna take a very long time...

Nothing you can do about these lads really. As many have said, it's the parents fault. For every scumbag with a sob story, there's 100's in the same position who aren't scumbags, because they were raised correctly regardless of circumstances. In Ireland today, everything is someone elses fault. You can get money for running across a dual carriageway and getting hit. You can sue for hitting your knee on the leg of a table. You can claim off the council for falling over a loose brick on your own front entryway... Common sense and personal responsibility has been removed.

I don't know what can fix it, either a very heavy handed approach (which won't happen, because feelings) or extreme financial investment/support in AGS. Neither will happen. It will be left to simmer over. And in 40 years, these same little scumbags will probably be able to sue the state for them turning out like scumbags...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Time and time again it's been said, go after the parents of these kids and you'll see some action. If you have a 9 year old roaming the streets with weapons and gangs, that's a failure of the parents.

Advertisement