Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

best. boards thread. EVER. 👏🏻

I tip my hat to all contributors! Very entertaining to read all the super sleuths, well done and keep it up cus yez are doing fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm not in the least surprised that she was able to do this without either accounts or audiors becoming alarmed.didnt we have a situation not all that long ago where one of the leading auditing firms in the country missed/ turned a blind eye/ ignored whatever a situation where one bank transferred 9 billion! To another bank in December and then received back the 9 billion in January! Did the auditors go to the wall? Like hell, they changed their name from Ernst & Young to EY !

Made Simple offer a virtual registered address service. I doubt Catriona ever stepped foot inside the doors of that building.

Edit: just read your next post 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Advertisement

That’s the registered address for Watershed International Securities Ltd

Catriona Carey- Job Title - Legal

Alan McGuiness - Finance & Accounting

Margaret P McGuiness - Legal

Ciara Ruschitzko - Legal

Neil Armstrong - Finance & Accounting

https://ie.globaldatabase.com/company/watershed-international-securities-limited

I’ve found out nothing about the McGuinness’ or Armstrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It wouldn't have done much good. He would just owe €35k less when the bank repossessed and sold his property. He obviously owed a lot more that €35K, was in negative equity and in arrears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That BMW wouldn't last a second if it were me that was shafted like this. Amazing how she is getting away with it. Amazing how more of the "victims" haven't even confronted her. Imagine handing over 30k and receiving BS holding text messages for 24 months and not driving down to Kilkenny looking for answers. Mad stuff all round. Before I have to much sympathy for the "victims" I'd like to know how distressed their actual loans were. Were any homes actually repossessed and were any of them even in court about it. I get the feeling a lot of them were looking for cheap way out of their financial commitments and believed all of the Jerry Beades land league bullshit doing the rounds at the time. They though they could pull the wool over the banks eyes.

Carey's shenanigans are obviously illegal. It's theft.

The victims though were not and are not vulnerable. The are stupid. That's harsh but it's true.

@dempo you forgot to check this!

I use my phone and not a laptop/pc so I can’t do it. I have no idea which company that she’s connected to might have been claiming this covid payment though.

Anyone else want to search it?

• Advertisement

@Gusser09 i know yer woman on prime time last night who got a loan from the credit union is still in the house as she said something about her partner “working hard to keep this roof over our heads” and looking up to the ceiling of the house they were filming in. If the banks have never repossessed, what the hell were they at handing money over to Carey?

This is it. The whole thing stinks to high heaven. They bought into the BS of the land league freeman nonsense I think. A lot of them did. Their mortgage was so distressed that the Credit Union handed them 10k. Yeh pull the other one love. RTE should have asked to see mortgage statements to ensure everything tallied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It really is quite baffling to be honest, she is also not listed on the mortgage according to the report.

To my mind the only story I'm believing without any doubts is the lady from Cork (I think) , she borrowed the 5K .

Not a single person interviewed was actually asked about their mortgage situation, what led to them being duped, was their a repossession pending ( I suspect there was) , had they maintained mortgage payments, even interest only.

I don't ask these questions to be critical of the victims but it certainly would have been more objective had RTE given more insight into the victims situation rather than allow people assume their backs were up against the wall .

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'm wouldn't think there was a repossession pending at all. Why would they still be in their homes 3 years later? I'd say they were going though the process perhaps in the courts.

As we all know though if someone is trying their best to pay what they can afford based on their financial means then repossession is impossible in this country. Especially with engagement. I was in the repossession court about 5 years ago, Out of 75 cases not one order was granted. And there were people who were in 50k arrears and only paying 200 quid a month to service a mortgage of 1200.

There is something about the victims that just doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it though.

I'm sorry you went through that and hope you came out the other side. Its precisely experiences like yours and many more that I believe there was a repossession case pending or in progress, your correct , they can take years but equally much quicker depending on circumstances, particularly if there is no effort by the homeowners to engage .

I read recently for example a local circut Court had 134 repossession cases listed , this is a Midlands Town. All adjourned and many already adjourned multiple times.

Without knowing the victims stories (apart from getting duped) it's difficult to really reach an objective opinion and I just felt the main program did not adequately cover what led to this victims being duped.

I was there to support my brother but yeh I get what your saying. The one thing the registrar kept an emphasis on that day was engagement.

Apologies, I didn't realise it was your brother, but yes absolutely, it s all about engaging and when at all possible maintaining a payment, even if was interest only. My own mortgage was sold to a Vulture fund along with 12k by PTSB I had challenges (medical) reduced earnings but tiny arrears and small mortgage remaining. I never got to a repossession situation. Cleared arrears gradually and restructured , so I have a little understanding on your brothers experience 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how you would manage to spend 2k in a shop that sells hockey equipment? They just play with sticks, Im wondering is the whole team playing with gear bought with the proceeds of this scam. Also she spent 22k in one go in Armani Exchange in Orlando, unless she was buying jewelry she must have been struggling out the door with tons of bags.

Anyway it seems that she was involved in the whole ecosystem of scam artists that was set up during the crash and promising people they could hang on to their houses without paying the mortgage, all that Freeman of the land nonsense. I cant link to it but Google "The sister of DJ Carey is linked to shadowy trust", the article is by the Mail on Sunday and Pressreader have it.

It states that Catriona Carey is one of three "main players" in Charlie Allens trust and that they were holding meetings in hotels in Kilkenny back in 2013 for people who were in mortgage difficulty. The scam was that the householder would pay a fee to to this trust and also sign over their property ownership and power of attorney to them, the trust would then take on the banks in court and then take 10% of the value of the property as their fee.

The article says that this trust claimed to have ownership of more than 1 billion of property, some of those who were scammed handed them over multiple properties. Also Thomas Byrne (FF TD) met the owner of this trust (Charlie Allen) at Leinster House becasue a constituent of his was involved and was getting worried. Allen told Byrne that they had a legal loophole to keep all the properties. Byrne (who is a solicitor himself) told him no such legal loophole existed and the meeting ended abruptly. Thomas Byrne then reported Charliie Allen to the Gardai but obviously nothing ever came of that. He also went into the Seanad and made a speech on it claiming that it "had all the hallmarks of a scam"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

She spent about a thousand euro in Armani, not twenty two thousand. Her whole holiday to Florida cost 22k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sorry, you're right, 22k on the 7 day holiday which excluded the price of the flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

She is Irish resident and domiciled as pointed out by another poster. That means she is subject to tax in Ireland on her worldwide income. She is given a tax credit for any tax she pays in the UK. So Revenue could hit her with an estimate for tax based on her personal expenses paid from UK bank account and then she would have to prove her tax returns filed in the UK to get the Irish Tax credit.

I'm really not getting this Domicile, Revenue angle. We know nothing about (as far as I'm aware ) what her status is, we don't know anything about her personal income arrangements.

I'm not at all sure why people think Revenue have any interest in getting involved in this at this stage . I'm not saying they won't at some stage. Currently (As far as we know) the only people making any enquiries are the Gardai.

We have to take the word of RTE alone , that victims have made complaints to the Gardai and they have also said they've handed over the infamous bank statements to Gardai.

It's not unreasonable to assume if and when Revenue get involved, the first thing They will want to know about, is were did the deposit funds come from and if they were gifts , was tax paid on said gifts, there's certainly going to be proof of funds requests.

With the absence of any facts or info on this Horrid individuals personal tax affairs and personal income affairs , as it stands, Revenue have no role in an investigation of a UK registered company, that's HMRC's job and again, only pertaining to matters relevant to Taxation and Vat liabilities to the HMRC.

The Matter at hand is not, I believe wether Carey paid income tax but wether people have been Allegedly defrauded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Simply, Irish Revenue require resident, domicile citizens to declare their Worldwide Income. Money taking by a Director for personal use are considered drawings/salary.

So if she has drawings form that UK company of €200,000 she would owe Revenue over €100k in tax, usc. She would get a credit for any taxed paid in the UK of same. Do you think she paid any personal tax in the UK.

She resides in Ireland, It's easier for Revenue to go after her first. Given her past Revenue fraud for VAT, I'd imagine Revenue are very interested in pursuing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

Several times it's been pointed out on this thread and the original programme that she bought the car outright for 55k.

Edit,just caught up with thread.

Now I see the point , thank you.

So in essence the expenditure as seen on the bank statements if determined as personal expenditure (E Z Living in kilkemny) for example or holidays that would be classed as drawings / salary 🤔 now I get it 😏

Was she mentioned on prime time too.? I see a link but player won't work for me on phone or pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

yes, that was a 10 minute follow up, showing bank statements and tracking the money withdrawn for cars, holidays, designer clothes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Apparently Damien the window fitting "solicitor " is giving an exclusive to one of the Sunday papers giving his side of the story. Meanwhile the white BMW was drawing too much attention so its been traded in for a less noticeable make of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Fascinating thread and interesting investigations. My own tuppence worth:

To me the scam is perfectly plausible and I speak as a qualified accountant who had direct experience of dealing with distressed loans. I don’t get the victim blaming at all.

Vulture funds work exactly as described in the scam. They buy a loan at a deep discount and either the borrower can refinance a compromise figure or the Vultures foreclose. The Vultures generally work at a price of 35% of the loan or 35% of the asset value whichever is the lower. Banks will go through with these crazy deals because of the “moral danger” to functioning borrowers.. ie , as one poster put it, why would I pay my mortgage when my neighbor paid nothing for a couple of years and now he is getting 2/3rds written off?”

Knowing that, and these people seem to have been getting advice from what they thought was a barrister and being introduced to an “accountant” who was on the side of the small man as they thought, it would definitely have looked plausible. Particularly so when you get a contract saying no foal no fee drawn up by what you thought was a solicitor.

All in all it is a pretty ingenious scam with the slight drawback of no way out unless she intended running a Ponzi scheme by refunding the loudest squealers and everyone knew who she was and where she was. But that makes the scam even more plausible in my view.

• Advertisement

Advertisement