Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But the claims above about immigration of 60,000 a year were proved completely wrong. This claim of rapid and significant population increase just isnt true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly, I spent my time Wednesday realising I’ll have to drive to Kiltipper from north Dublin because the rehabilitative treatment I need, they closed that department in the Mater where I’m a patient , why ? I asked and was told….Insufficient funds…From the horses mouth…funds are there, but where and who they are being spent on..ahem..

so instead I’ve an 80 minute round trip to Kiltipper, work there for an hour and a bit, 2 hours 20- 2 hours 30 minutes return trip and participation and 130 euros lighter pocket per week I’ll be going there between the cost of treatment and fuel…so 1600 I’ll be down roughly over the 12 sessions… goes to show we the taxpayers are down the list of priorities…big time.. it’s YES and $$$$$$$ for xxxx strangers but a bit fat fûcking NO when we want the services and help which we should be entitled to…as lifelong taxpayers.

that’s the crux of the problem, there is no never ending money pit….. no magic pop up hospitals, treatments and staff…. No rolling out of extra roads and train tracks like magic carpets… this massive population increase, costs, US…

financially and in terms of our health, safety, quality of life, ability to get back up when you fall down.

supply and demand impacts everything… some people cannot grasp this or are unwilling to admit it.".you’ll probably see the prices of holidays and flights skyrocket..Ryanair and Aer Lingus wont need to be fishing for takers for 9.99 or 19.99 flights.. in 2050 when our population will be 6 million .. as the CSO tell us it will be.. trying to get off this island for a break, funeral, football trip, some much need r&r will be a brutal experience … try to get a value hotel ? Again, supply vs demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

As I said housing is only one of the massive problems we face as a country due to this stupid notion that we need to expand our population. In my eyes health services are the number one issue being affected. Our so called representatives in Government all have the best private health care packages available so what do they care. In my area and surrounding areas G.Ps are full and are not taking on new patients, so any new additions to the country are advised to use A&E like a G.P surgery. Presentation at my local hospital A&E which is 100 mile round trip usually entails a wait of anything from 9 to 16 hours due to pressure it's under, if your really needing attention an ambulance has been known to take up to 2 hours to reach you. Our Government has sacrificed the care of its citizens for a seat at the fat cats table that's Europe.How can Anyone think this country can handle more immigrants with the mess our services are in.

Because they built enough. What are the net migration figures for the last few years?

That succinctly true but in the mean time there are people actually actively campaigning for more help to be metered out, more new arrivals… numbers don’t support our ability to do it. But….

• Advertisement

They must have a good private health plan or have not needed a medical procedure or visiting an A&E recently. You send a picture to a receptionist or nurse here at the minute and wait till they get back to you. IT HEALTH CARE. Still costs as much as an appointment. Joke of a country.

Blaming foreigners for the failings of government is just lazy and letting them off the hook.

Yes there is plenty of money in this country, yes it is being wasted, no it is not being wasted on foreigners🙄

Look at the children's hospital as just one tiny example, the budget was blown even before they started the build. Massive over spend. Money wasted all over the country on useless administration staff. Any company that gets a government contract is writing their own cheques, and no one cares. This is not new. Why are so many government TDs involved with companies who hold government contracts?

How much money was found over the two years of covid to hand out? Huge huge amounts of money.

I for one wont hold a few foreigners accountable for the failings of government.

As disingenuous reply as we’d expect..

I don’t believe anyone is blaming foreigners… the blame is for those who enabled and continue to enable us not being of the ability to control our borders and some of the policies that enable the wellbeing of others over the citizens here and what we need.

Seriously? Now it's not the immigrants fault is the fault of the EU?

Who by the way, don't control our borders. Not only do we control our own borders and immigration policies, we are not even part of the schengan agreement! So all our own business.

now what that has to do with government mismanaging our budgets and wasting money, I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

One of the very few occasions I fully agree with bubblypop, Ireland has opted out of Schengen and retains full control of its borders and immigration policies - but also Ireland chooses to be lax in enforcing them.

• Advertisement

You can’t control your borders if you are without the ability to turn people back, AT that border.

We can and do turn people back at our borders.

I am not blaming foreigners for the failure of our government, but we cannot stand by and let our government keep taking people into a society that cannot supply housing, education and health care services for its own. And a big majority of our visitors are here for the luxurious welfare benefits this country provides not for the jobs.

Source: Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection Annual Statistical Report, p.25

Of the 2,847,731 recipients of the main social welfare benefits, including free travel, 2,517,027 (88 per cent) are Irish nationals, 95,083 (3.3 per cent) are UK nationals, 25,164 (0.8 per cent) are nationals of the EU13, 144,115 (4 per cent) are from the EU15 to 28, and 66,342 (2.3 per cent) are non-EU nationals.

Considering non Irish nationals are approx 12% of the population, then I don't believe they are over represented in social welfare payments.

It is also a failure by government to make staying at home more worthwhile then going to work. And that is for all recipients, no matter what their nationality. Going to work should always be the better option. Social welfare should be a lot resort.

It's the modern answer to everything.. spend more. Not examine where all the existing costs are and why they're that way.

People were corrupted by the Celtic Tiger, with the belief that there would always be more money to be released for... whatever. However, the governments smoke and mirrors policy of centralising Health care, and closing many smaller hospitals or making clinics go private, means that focus is taken away from the rising costs, due to increased populations... while at the same, ignoring the range of immigrants who increase the demands on that welfare service. After all, even if they are here as low skilled workers earning & paying taxes, their costs still need to be covered, and the services still need to be provided. Especially, when they come from nations where malnutrition leaves long-term damage to the body that needs extended treatment, or the psychological supports for those coming from "troubled" nations.

Just throw money at the problem, but where does that money come from?

Stats are noted but I am going by what I see myself all over the country. Granted we have alot of our own who need to be seriously looked at especially the benefit lifers but we seriously need to make claiming benefits much harder. I think myself when some land and see how easy it is to claim a living doing nothing it's monkey see monkey do attitude for a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You tell me 30 k is an estimate but 15.2% of the population are migrants.The amnesty will add 17 k +. to that estimate .You ignore the fact that most migrants rent than can buy houses as they are on low wages .This is likely to increase as house prices rise .

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/publications/economic-letters/vol-2019-no-14-population-change-and-housing-demand-in-ireland-(conefrey-and-staunton).pdf

Some stats on the number of migrants v Irish that buy houses would be interesting sadly lacking in this otherwise informative article .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

Some nationalities notably African do have a high rate of unemployment .

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

And journalists will make a feature article on any BS but won't touch the cso link above. We could ban immigration from some of those countries tomorrow and insta deportation of any already here in welfare. Massive benefits to all here, irish and immigrant

Eh..... the thread is full of blaming foreigners 😶

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's not about blaming foreigners.

It is about blaming policies and ideologies which are straining and destabilising our society.

It's about processes, not individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

its a slippery slope

Dundalk, Co. Louth

And thanking obviously false and misleading statements! I honestly never knew what a circle jerk or echo chamber was before this thread.

Even Klaz who is on your side recently said the thread was at that time just foreigner bashing.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Those who view the world simplistically in terms of "sides" rarely have anything of value to add to a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

A few foreigners u say?! Now get the finger out paddy the plasterer n solve the housing crisis!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html

https://www.housingtogether.ie/the-social-housing-crisis-in-ireland/

All-time high rates of immigration with 88,600 people immigrating to Ireland in 2019 ( maybe someone can Google what percentage is returning ex pat's)

It is not an all time high. Another lie.

CSO figures show immigration at 88,600, emigration at 54,900.

Net inward migration at 33,700

of the 88,600 who immigrated, 26,900 (30.4%) were Irish nationals. 19,700 came from the UK.

61,200 births and 30,400 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Best get onto the housing together website bubbly n tell me they're lying!

https://www.housingtogether.ie/the-social-housing-crisis-in-ireland/

All-time high rates of immigration with 88,600 people immigrating to Ireland in 2019

Sources: CSO, Housing Agency and Focus Ireland

there is the truth.

And, as I showed in my last post, over half of immigrants were Irish and UK nationals .

• Advertisement

88600 immigrated to Ireland in 2019 are you obsessed with foreigners.Those figures will rise as covid restrictions end .When did this idea emerge that the government should supply housing as a right ?

Advertisement