Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comrades 2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

Just got this:
    Dear py,

When the decision to cancel the 2020 Comrades Marathon was announced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the CMA advised that all International and Rest of Africa entrants would have the option to defer their entry to either the 2021 or 2022 Comrades Marathon.

Subsequent to this, the CMA announced that the 2021 Comrades Marathon is cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic. Therefore, your (2020) entry is deferred to the 2022 event with no additional costs in the form of entry fees.

Further information will be supplied closer to the 2022 entry period.

Thanks, and stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

I'll be needing an awful lot of reassurances that CV-19 is well under control before I'd be considering Comrades next year if I'm honest.

opus wrote: »
    I'll be needing an awful lot of reassurances that CV-19 is well under control before I'd be considering Comrades next year if I'm honest.

I'd expect we'd have vaccines by then, in Ireland at least. I have not been following South Africa's progress with covid from an infection or vacinnation perspective. The travel restrictions are something to follow for sure.

For anyone interested...

I was waiting to see what they were going to announce today. Kind of annoyed I have to qualify again. Have a qualifier lined up but it is very hilly so I'm going to look at a backup closer to the end of the qualifying window.

Best of luck! I'll think about it for next year... maybe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

August? That's an unusual date for Comrades! Still on my bucket list, though I'm nowhere near ready for it...

Do you need to qualify as an international entrant just to enter, or is a qualifying time needed just for seeding? I know with Two Oceans Ultra (last ran that in 2016, highly recommend it for anyone looking for a slightly 'shorter' ultra with amazing scenery!), South African residents needed a qualifier to even enter the race (and be part of a running club), but as an 'overseas entry' only needed a qualifier to be seeded for a better starting pen (these being gun-to-chip times, waiting around to start your run still counts towards your finishing time, frustrated the life outta me)

They shifted it to August in 2022 to give it the best chance of going ahead after two consecutive postponements. Limited to 15k people and you need to show proof of covid-19 vaccination to enter.

It is my understanding that you still need to qualify as an international attendee but open to correction on that.

My flights are all sorted. I need to book hotels for Durban and Pietermaritzburg.

• Advertisement

Just over a week away now. I've been watching the official webinars, various YouTubers experiences and reading a lot of race reports. I've been over Coach Parry's website with a fine tooth comb and reread "Make Sure of Your Comrades Medal". I've reached out to a few of the international ambassadors and got some great info. I'm sure I'm missing something though 🙂 If prior starters/finishers have any words of wisdom, it would be very welcome.

I've seen a few other Irish people (<10) on the starting list though not sure if those are all planning to run or if I've even counted everyone.

Post edited by py on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Enduro

Enjoy! I've never found anything as electric as the start of Comrades, it's everything you expect & more. Hopefully the weather will play ball & it won't be too hot & humid as you head towards Durban. Looking forward to see the report & the very best of luck.

Forgot to post in this thread. Had a blast last weekend. A long but enjoyable day of running. The support was electric throughout, even outside of the towns. However, the crowds were immense in all of the little towns/suburbs you pass through. People were out with their BBQ & beer/wine from daylight at ~7am. Weather held up and even got a bit of light drizzle in the last 30 minutes of my run. Something I'd love to do again, regardless of which direction it is in. Hopefully they announce the 2023 date soon so I can make a call on it. Full race report here.

Post edited by py on

Good video of this year's event, be warned that watching it might convince you to sign up 🙂

https://youtu.be/xUQepnklojk

Advertisement