Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I've a flight tomorrow booked with Aer Lingus , saver plan. The plan says I've a 10kg carry on but the email confirmation says I've to bring them to the check in desk. Which is it, does anyone know?

Checkin is handy as I can bring liquids.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

If it’s a saver fare you’ll have to check in the 10kg bag. Very easy to do at the self service kiosks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭riddles

Got sorted the vouchers covered the full cost of the original booking and additional flight change cost and are valid for 5 years. Took about five days to get it sorted. Forget trying to get through on the phone AL - chat just leave it running for a few days and endure a raft of deflector questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Aer Lingus are to resume the Dublin to LA direct route, and if so when?

Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We did this a few years ago. We were fine on the way out but on the way home the Flight was delayed at the original Airport and we missed our connection in Frankfurt. Needed to spend a night in a hotel plus go on standby the following day. Mid-Summer with 2 kids in tow so was a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 martin18

I've Aer Lingus flights for the summer that I bought at a Saver fare (i.e. no refunds) but I don't think I'm going to be able to use them. Wondering if I can get away with upgrading them to Plus and then request a voucher for use on another flight. Anyone know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Does anyone have old copies of the Dublin Airport schedule kicking around?

On 20 November 2005 I flew Hapag-Lloyd Express from Hamburg to Dublin. I'm trying to figure out the flight number and time... I know it was evening but I don't have any more detail than that.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I did a 45 minute connection (Dublin to Hamburg) in Frankfurt back in October. The flight was 15 minutes late arriving on stand and I still made it with about 10 minutes to spare, even with having to go through security and immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Thanks (and others) for the replies. Yes it should be fine as it's pre summer. If anyone is looking for good flights Lufthansa and the wider group are doing deep-discount business class fares across europe if you book for two or more people. you need to click the link on the website not go through the regular booking

• Advertisement

Hi all,

My dad wants to fly to the UK and doesn’t have a valid passport.

Can he fly with Ryanair on a drivers license like we could pre brexit?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No, and he couldn't before Brexit either. I can't remember Ryanair ever accepting driving licences, if they did it's a very very very long time ago. Yes on other airlines but definitely not on Ryanair.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Anytime I flew Ryanair I used a passport card.

May get a replacement passport for him now.

Passport/passport card for Irish citizens is fine.

Don't book flights until he has his passport, depending on how long ago his passport expired there may be delays.

Flights were booked already, I applied for a passport for him Sunday evening and his new one has been dispatched already.

That’s service for you.

Adult renewals are flying! First/expired for more than 5 years applications are taking months though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Hi, I'm flying with united airlines next month and I'm flying economy. Just wondering would it be worth it to pay for premier access??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How much does it cost?

I flew over and back, 2 legs each way, with United, and had no major delays in queues anywhere. Both my transit airports, the new gate was practically beside where I came in (in one case literally beside - out one door, back in the one next door 10 feet away!).

Unless it was a very nominal fee, I wouldn't be bothered (but I travel alone / don't have kids, so YMMV).

If it gives lounge access, on a long layover, might be worth it - again, depends on the price and your priorities - I had a 5 hour stopover yesterday and it was a pain and I paid shedloads for a couple of glasses of wine and a pizza - in hindsight maybe a lounge might have been worth the investment, but I didn't think of it in time.

I spoke with a passenger on the flight home, she said she'd paid in advance for an extra legroom seat for (I think) $150 on the way out.... tried getting the same on the way home at the check-in desk or boarding desk, and it was $600! So if that's a thing you want, sounds like it might be worth booking in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Best time to book a flight to Portugal in July?

Conventionally best is 8 weeks ahead. But with possible pent up demand this year should I book now?

Aer lingus is 250 return for flights at sensible times.

I can’t see it coming down much… Travelagents and airlines are both pointing to high demand and strong forward bookings for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Quick question guys.

I’m flying to Spain at the weekend with my wife. We both had Covid in December so have the Covid recovery cert. Her recovery cert has my surname, however she still has her old maiden name on her passport as she hasn’t been able to change it yet to reflect her new married name.

Is this going to cause an issue flying/getting in to Spain etc?

I would very much imagine it will be an issue… essentially the cert and passport (name she’s traveling under) are two different names… I could be wrong but I’d be contacting the airline maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Costing 19 dollars from Dublin to the states. paid 100 euro for economy plus on the way back to Ireland. thought it was worth it. but its gone up since than

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

I’ve a flight to Portugal tomorrow with Ryanair. I’ve checked in, but I’m getting a message saying that I haven’t uploaded by COVID documentation. I have my digital COVID cert on my phone and my Portuguese passenger locator form. Do I need to upload these to the Ryanair website or is it enough to have them available for inspection?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just have them available you can upload a photo of anything and it works. For my kids last time I just did their passports cause they don’t need/have covid certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Flying to NYC at the end of the month. Has anyone been recently? Will a negative antigen from the likes of Boots suffice along with proof of vaccination status?

Cheers.

Don't know if it varies between states, but I flew to Florida recently, and you needed the ESTA, a vaccination cert, an antigen test cert with QR code, and the attestation form (basically their PLF). All were checked, twice.

But stuff is changing so much these days that you really should check just before you fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for that. Yeah have the ESTA sorted. Where did you fill out the PLF?

• Advertisement

I got one with my tickets - I couldn't fill that out online so I printed it and filled/signed it.

Then when I was checking in, they had some abbreviated version of it on the screen, and never looked for the printed one (can't remember exactly, it was awfully early in the morning!)

Advertisement