Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botox TMJ

Options
  • 04-03-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was looking into getting botox to relieve pain from teeth grinding (after all other options have been exhausted). I have found lots of websites for doctors and dentists that provide it however, I can't seem to find any information online about whether these people/places are legally allowed to provide it. Does anyone know if there is any register I can look at or how I can go about finding out if these places/people are licensed to provide it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

I suffer from TMJ also and saw <snip> Would highly recommend.
    Am also a patient of<snip>for about 6 years and have been receiving treatment from him for TMJ during that time. Would also highly recommend <snip>. Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 huijo

Hi, thanks for the reply. I actually have a mouthguard made by <snip> which is great to protect the teeth from grinding however doesn't stop the problem itself unfortunately so I am looking to get something to stop face and neck pain. I'll have a look into the professor you mentioned, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bumping to see if people have any good or bad experiences of Botox, which has been recommended for a family member for teeth grinding?

How much?

How long did benefits last?

Final attempted bump to see of others have any experience of botox to address grinding

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

I wouldn't recommend injecting poison. Rather, try to find the root cause of teeth grinding usually a secondary problem of something else. E.g. issue with gallbladder, eating the wrong type of food, malnutrition, junk and sugary etc.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a bit of a needle-in-a-haystack quest to find an underlying cause?

Family member has no other obvious health issues, reasonable diet, regular exercise, not unduly stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

With Botox you are just blocking nerve signal, but the issue will remain and could fire back at you again later in the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭lucalux

I'm waiting to talk to my consultant about getting Botox for TMJ issues/Bruxism but not sure how soon that will be.

I can update you on this thread when I talk with him.

It's been recommended a few times for me but then Covid delayed it.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing how you get on. What kind of consultant covers this area - ENT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭lucalux

No worries at all, I'm under a Maxillofacial(max-fax) consultant/surgeon, but also have an ENT consultant that I am seeing, and will be getting both of their input before getting it done, if at all (trying to get them to share notes at the moment!).

The Max-fax consultant would be the one doing it for me, and was the one who suggested it to me first as I've been seeing him the longest.

I'm fairly sure, but not 100% certain, that ENT's also cover botox injections for bruxism, as both would have extensive knowledge in the nerves and muscles of the areas concerned.

Dental surgeons/consultants would also be involved in that area too, so it depends who you have access to, or can get your relative referred to I suppose.

I'll keep you posted but haven't got any idea of timeline yet, so hopefully in the meantime you might be able to get some information from some of those avenues too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement