Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

And so begins the great backtracking.

We all knew it was going to happen - all those erstwhile open supporters of Brexit will soon be quite difficult to find.

Already seeing a good deal of “We were lied to!” commentary in Britain. Basically refusing to take any of the responsibility upon themselves. Which is of course complete nonsense - they were surrounded on all sides by others warning them not to do it, that it would be a disaster. But no, no that was all #Project fear. Instead they (surprisingly) decided to listen only to that information that appealed to their sense of British exceptionalism.

They were the ones that decided a massive decision needed no further research despite all the dissenting voices. They were the ones who were “Sick of experts”. But now that they’ve found their promised pie is nothing but empty crust (as they were warned) suddenly it’s everyone else’s fault.

Personally I have very little sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

No insults.

That is an EU report, not a British one.

That isn't backtracking, we've a while to go till then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

While I can easily see why you would have very little sympathy, there are literally millions of people here caught up in the Brexit whirlwind who were denied a say at all from younger Brits denied a vote by being a 16 or 17 to EU migrants who came here in good faith and have contributed to the country economically to Scotland and Northern Ireland who both rejected Brexit and are having it imposed upon them by English nationalists. 

I've come to see Brexit as a form of theatre for middle class English nationalists who care only for themselves. They'll stomp their feet when the BBC don't play Imperialistic anthems or when they have to pay a pittance to visit their Iberian villas but they were more than happy to jettison the livelihoods of millions here for their own prejudices.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The NI protocol in action in Germany. "British" cheddar, from Tyrone, sold in my local Lidl. This cheese used to come from England. The DUP are so maniacal they can not bear the thoughts of NI benefiting by being less British. The cheese even has a union flag on the front. It's orange through and through lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I know yeah - I’m referring to the British reaction to the report, across Twitter, Reddit etc it’s all very “it’s not our fault we were tricked (and therefore not responsible)”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Any exmaples cus all ive seen is the usual bloviating and standard we knew what we voted for etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the redtop media fed you a diet for 50 years that stretched between casual indifference, to outright scaremongering about the EU, it's not inconceivable that more emotion-based voters felt "tricked" into believing an exit from the EU was both easy - and preferable. That enduring myth of a giant monolith of EU Bureaucracy, standing in the way of enterprise and productivity; only so it might prop up all those broken Mediterranean economies seen as little more that tourist hovels (including our own when 2008+ bailouts caused further resentment). It remains seductive bullshít and I don't subscribe to simply chastising those who got sucked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No one forced them to pick up a red top. Plenty of other papers out there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There are dozens of reasons a person might choose a newspaper, not necessarily related to their Current Affairs bona-fides; sometimes it can even be cultural or societal pressures unrelated to the editorial direction. Given a social contract relies on a baseline of trust, even if it's rank naivety on the part of the reader, I can understand why a habitual customer of (say) The Sun might have simply taken the aggressive anti-EU rhetoric as gospel. I can't speak for anyone else, but it's easy to forget just how vitriolic the reporting has been over those 5 decades; that just doesn't go away - except after that moment you finally walked out the door after years threatening divorce, only realising the emptiness of everything when you're sitting on that motel bed.

I'm not trying to absolve the Brexit voter of their mistakes, only that their Road to Damascus moments should at least be considered in good faith, and understandable given how so many were basically groomed this way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

IME, a lot of people pick up The Sun specifically for its soccer coverage. I'd say a lot of people just opt for the papers their parents had lying around the house when they were growing up. In my case, that would be a Donegal local and the Farmer's Journal, neither of which are applicable to my current living situation.

Paper readerships have been plummeting for some time now. The Economist stated recently that barely 3 million a day are sold. Their real influence lies over politicians as opposed to the public.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, that moment of truth about the SUN came for Liverpudlians the day after the Hillsborough disaster when the SUN laid all the blame on the Liverpool supporters. Sales of the SUN have been miniscule in Liverpool ever since.

Perhaps a bit more moments of truth are required for the British public.

Hard to find a Liverpool shop selling it. Hillsborough was only the tipping point though as the paper had been portraying Liverpool as the worlds biggest shthole for a long time before and was forever insulting it's people. I'm sure all the Scouse bashing played well in London and the South.

Being from so called "stab city" I have certain sympathy for Liverpool and their portrayal in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Future cabinet minister in the making for the Tories:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-benefits-dover-natalie-elphicke-tory-mp-b2018156.html

Natalie Elphicke said the work enforcing new red tape on goods passing through the town was a “Brexit dividend”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Any loss in students from the EU will be offset by the record numbers of Chinese to UK universities loaded with barrels of cash. Good news for the university sector.

I have not seen any evidence of much regret in voting for Brexit anyway. In a time of rising inflation, the UK have the distinct advantage of being able control their own currency.

The risk of queues at Dover certainly not putting off the next generation of manufacturing.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/21/britishvolt-electric-car-battery-uk-gigafactory-blyth-jobs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She's an MP because she took over the safe seat of her ex husband, alleged and then later convicted of sexual assault, in a trial that has a humourous accidental catchphrase even though the incident wasn't in any way humourous.

Even better news for the UK, I did not know that was possible. Doing online expands the pool of potential students and without the difficulties of increased pressure on housing in university cities. The UK has the potential to be a real leader in sciences and tech shaped by increasingly sophisticated and intelligent young Chinese population. Coupled with the freedom to state-aid various startups (I already referenced the record number of unicorns) will leave the rest of the EU in the dust.

A real ruthless and selfish (see their antics with the NIP, breaking International Treaties, etc) third-party at our doorstep, just what we need.

The EU should have hammered the UK into the ground when the squeeze was on that Christmas Eve. A missed opportunity that will be regretted for years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The EU should have hammered the UK into the ground when the squeeze was on that Christmas Eve. A missed opportunity that will be regretted for years.

Why would the EU have done that? The EU despite your bias never tried to punish the UK. Their priorities were to protect the EU itself and also the EU citizens living and working in the UK.

This notion that the EU were punishing the UK is just nonsense lifted from the Express or Daily Mail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why would the EU want to hammer the UK into the ground or when has it ever attempted to do so?

The only hammering of the UK into the ground throughout this process has been by the UK government. The UK government opted for a hard Brexit and reintroduce trade barriers with its largest and nearest trade partner. That obviously has resulted in a large amount of damage to the UK economy exasperated by the UK government's refusal to stop following/trying to renegotiate agreements before the Ink has dried in many cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I find that people who support Brexit are unbelievably forward-looking and optimistic. Literally any positive story regarding Britain is viewed as a "Brexit benefit" even if it has nothing to do with Brexit at all. Bear in mind the ONLY positive stories recently about Britain are speculative. Something good will happen, or should happen.

What I don't understand is why Brexit supporters never look at the past or present and see the slow collapse of their economy and society and the trail of destruction left by the Tories, and that the vast majority of these positive stories are quickly exposed as lies of half truths.

I check in on a few Brexiter YouTube channels, and it's actually scary to look through dozens of past videos proclaiming Brexit benefits that just never materialised. There's no retrospection. No accountability. As soon as one promise is exposed as bullsh*t, Brexiters have already moved onto the next thing.

Name one Brexit benefit that has actually materialised and is paying dividends? I can't think of any.

Post edited by Padre_Pio on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Blue passports!

Crowns on pint glasses!

Reduction of/kicking out non-white anglo-saxons!

And other such soundbite nonsense that fails to mention any of the negative effects - brain drain, job losses, reduction in trading/productivity, increase in polarisation and outright hostility in british society...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Surely thats mislableing? How can it be Great British Cheddar if produced in NI which is not part of GB??

The biggest benefit from Brexiter's point of view is total control on immigration, Australia, Canada or USA style. This allows them target specific occupations while preventing a race to the bottom in other sectors. We have already seen this play out.

You can't compare the economic indicators during the years of uncertainty before the TCA. Business hates uncertainly, that's economics 101. The UK was in turmoil during those years. We already saw a graph that shows the rapid rebound in available jobs once the TCA was signed.

The UK has been given a cost free TCA with its neighbours without any of the obligations. There's no reason it cannot succeed and prosper like every other 1st world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Cost free? Even the UK agree the deal is awful for them.

Massive costs of red tape for business. Massive shift in logistics pipelines particularly in NI.

Loss of any say in future EU direction.

Having to agree largely one sided deals with the likes of Australia to be seen to get anything done.

The enormous cost of the last five years in terms of government bandwidth not to mention actual cost.

Massive lorry parks, massive truck queues. Slaughter of 30k pigs whilst people are forced to use food banks!

If it was such a great deal, why have they spend almost everyday complaining about it? Why was Frost, and now Truss, spending so much time trying to renegotiate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

The explosion in foodbank usage over the last decade seems to argue against that notion. Plus what do you think all these new trade frictions will mean for prices and taxes? Thousands of new civil servants need to push papers around desks, producing nothing? More inflation.

Hard to see the anti-foreigner wing of the Tories being pleased with this one either. After one generation, Poles are indistinguishable from Brits. With Chinese folks...not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah we saw the UK try to recruit lorry drivers specifically, and fall spectacularly on their faces in the process. Brexiters like thinking they are in control of immigration but actually the would be immigrants are. They chose not to take up the offer of being treated like something a Brexiter stepped in.

Edit: As for "cost free"...erm, have you seen the reaction of British businesses to the friction caused by not being in the single market and customs union at all? There is huge cost here. UK GDP is way down when compared to its Doppelgänger economies and the downturn came with Brexit.

You keep telling yourself it's all rosy though, but nobody here is buying it. The fact the Daily Express is still chock full of anti-EU propaganda is highly indicative. They must continue to push the line that staying in the EU would have been even worse than this because Brexit simply isn't delivering the promised upsides.

The blue passports being printed in the EU 🤣

It did lead to less immigants which is what many wanted. Sadly for the racists it's probably gonna lead to less palatable immigrants down the line like swapping Swedish and French students for Chinese and Indian ones.

I’ve honestly given up commenting on or engaging with Brexit threads these days. It’s been the same circular discussion since 2016 in the U.K. and that is not going to change unless or until the current Tory government changes and that isn’t likely before May 2024 due to the size of the majority in Parliament.

All of the current Brexit problems, particularly those relating to Northern Ireland, were forewarned by anyone who knew anything about the subject. The same applies to the issues cropping up with trade. All of those warnings were brushed aside with Brexity exuberance.

They’ve made their bed and dressed it in the same material as that infamous emperor’s invisible suit. Nobody’s prepared to deal with reality and unfortunately you can’t really hide from it forever. There inevitably comes a reckoning.

• Advertisement

I think you're missing the point. Stopping free movement is itself the goal. The shortages that resulted are just the consequences of this but ending free movement was seen as the main benefit in and of itself.

Advertisement