Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

She is Irish resident and domiciled as pointed out by another poster. That means she is subject to tax in Ireland on her worldwide income. She is given a tax credit for any tax she pays in the UK. So Revenue could hit her with an estimate for tax based on her personal expenses paid from UK bank account and then she would have to prove her tax returns filed in the UK to get the Irish Tax credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm really not getting this Domicile, Revenue angle. We know nothing about (as far as I'm aware ) what her status is, we don't know anything about her personal income arrangements.

I'm not at all sure why people think Revenue have any interest in getting involved in this at this stage . I'm not saying they won't at some stage. Currently (As far as we know) the only people making any enquiries are the Gardai.

We have to take the word of RTE alone , that victims have made complaints to the Gardai and they have also said they've handed over the infamous bank statements to Gardai.

It's not unreasonable to assume if and when Revenue get involved, the first thing They will want to know about, is were did the deposit funds come from and if they were gifts , was tax paid on said gifts, there's certainly going to be proof of funds requests.

With the absence of any facts or info on this Horrid individuals personal tax affairs and personal income affairs , as it stands, Revenue have no role in an investigation of a UK registered company, that's HMRC's job and again, only pertaining to matters relevant to Taxation and Vat liabilities to the HMRC.

The Matter at hand is not, I believe wether Carey paid income tax but wether people have been Allegedly defrauded.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Xander10

Simply, Irish Revenue require resident, domicile citizens to declare their Worldwide Income. Money taking by a Director for personal use are considered drawings/salary.

So if she has drawings form that UK company of €200,000 she would owe Revenue over €100k in tax, usc. She would get a credit for any taxed paid in the UK of same. Do you think she paid any personal tax in the UK.

She resides in Ireland, It's easier for Revenue to go after her first. Given her past Revenue fraud for VAT, I'd imagine Revenue are very interested in pursuing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭HBC08

Several times it's been pointed out on this thread and the original programme that she bought the car outright for 55k.

Edit,just caught up with thread.

Now I see the point , thank you.

So in essence the expenditure as seen on the bank statements if determined as personal expenditure (E Z Living in kilkemny) for example or holidays that would be classed as drawings / salary 🤔 now I get it 😏

Was she mentioned on prime time too.? I see a link but player won't work for me on phone or pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Xander10

yes, that was a 10 minute follow up, showing bank statements and tracking the money withdrawn for cars, holidays, designer clothes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Apparently Damien the window fitting "solicitor " is giving an exclusive to one of the Sunday papers giving his side of the story. Meanwhile the white BMW was drawing too much attention so its been traded in for a less noticeable make of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Fascinating thread and interesting investigations. My own tuppence worth:

To me the scam is perfectly plausible and I speak as a qualified accountant who had direct experience of dealing with distressed loans. I don’t get the victim blaming at all.

Vulture funds work exactly as described in the scam. They buy a loan at a deep discount and either the borrower can refinance a compromise figure or the Vultures foreclose. The Vultures generally work at a price of 35% of the loan or 35% of the asset value whichever is the lower. Banks will go through with these crazy deals because of the “moral danger” to functioning borrowers.. ie , as one poster put it, why would I pay my mortgage when my neighbor paid nothing for a couple of years and now he is getting 2/3rds written off?”

Knowing that, and these people seem to have been getting advice from what they thought was a barrister and being introduced to an “accountant” who was on the side of the small man as they thought, it would definitely have looked plausible. Particularly so when you get a contract saying no foal no fee drawn up by what you thought was a solicitor.

All in all it is a pretty ingenious scam with the slight drawback of no way out unless she intended running a Ponzi scheme by refunding the loudest squealers and everyone knew who she was and where she was. But that makes the scam even more plausible in my view.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah the scam is perfectly plausible becasue it preys on people who are desperate. Back in 2013/4 a brother of a friend of mine was going through a complete financial crash. He is a single father (wife died of cancer) and lost his job in the crash and him and his two daughters were losing the family home. I met him a few times during that period and he looked like a ghost and was riddled with depression, stress and anxiety. If someone like Catriona Carey walked into his life Ive no doubt he would have fallen for the scam, people in huge financial distress are not thinking straight and thats what these scammers are preying on. Its fine for people to say they were naive but when people are under the huge stress of losing their family home they will do anything to save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Fair enough but why were they acting so passive 2 years down the road when it was pretty obvious she had swindled them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

In the normal course of trading and things get difficult, that is true.

But for fraud like this you cannot hide behind a company.

Nope. Most likely someone in the serviced offices she had them addressed to passed them on.

Or possibly a family member who happened upon them. No love lost amongst them

You've got the answer already- being "timid" 2 years on just shows how VULNERABLE these people are.

Have you never read an article on "romance fraud"- where women, and men, send 10's of thousands of pounds, euros, dollars to a fraudster having never met them or even seen them? And still, towards the end of that scam which can last a few years, they still think that maybe it's all just a bad dream, or a mistake, or a simple misunderstanding.

And also, if you HAVE given over lots of money to a fraudster, you're hanging on to the chance that they MIGHT repay you- so the last thing you want to do is, PIZZ them off.

And it's all about NUMBERS- the more people the fraudsters contact, the more people they can scam- person not taking the bait? ; fine, then move on to the next person.

THat's how it works. And I'd never criticise someone who falls for such scams because vulnerable people are just that- vulnerable- and the fraudsters know that- so they search them out- a numbers game- at some stage, they'll come across a vulnerable person- then, the money starts rolling in.

• Advertisement

She could try to argue that ez living was furniture for office , the overseas trips were business related, etc, but the onus would be on her to prove it to Revenue if asked to. If she can't then she would be taxed on the expenditure as a drawing from the business.

Bollox- if you scam someone from the outset, the accountancy and company laws go out the window- it's plain and simple theft and fraud. Stop making the simple complex. If you operate an illegal company doing illegal things, it's illegal - there's no rocket science here.

Revenue would need to see where the business connection was.

Ski trip? Not a chance.

Office furniture? - let's see it.

Moncler jacket - not business related

Car - has she paid BiK?

• Advertisement

I know how Revenue work thanks. I was just explaining that she can try to make her case. Which would be hilarious to be in the room for.

That's a little Harsh 🤔 it's perfectly reasonable to assume this charleton knows every , trick and excuse in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Banks repossess homes as a very last resort. Banks, despite what they're perceived like, will work with people if the client engages and puts effort in. I mean, these "mortgage difficulties", I assume, arose from mortgages gotten during the boom times (how else would they be in negative equity?). So that's like 10+ years of mortgage difficulties and they're only getting around to repossessing now.

Just have a look at one of the victims in Careys scam. Carey told them she owned the mortgage now, yet the original lender was sending letters to them and instead of contacting the lender, they contacted the fraud Carey. Obviously they paid 0 on the mortgage in the last 2 years as well, (why would they pay a mortgage to a lender who they believe doesn't own the mortgage anymore).

Eh? I'm purely giving two possible ways rte got the details.

I'm not "saying so", just giving a couple of plausible possibilities.

The family had a very public split. A large amount of money went missing from DJ's company while she was there.

This led to him having to liquidate and losing an awful lot of his savings.

Sorry Wasn’t an attack on you- but company law will not hold any weight on this case-if it’s true that there was a masquerade as an accountant or regulated financial services company, that in itself is years behind bars- and that’s even before the alleged acquisition of property and funds under false pretences- it’s a big book to be thrown here - hiding behind company law will be laughed out of court

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't see how she won't be put behind bars.

If scamming people out of half a million, pretending to offer financial service that leads to nothing, spending "company" money on trips to hotels and BMWs, doesn't get someone put in jail, then it's a free for all. What's stopping anyone pretending to be a charity for example and collecting money??

I hear you and I can only imagine , Revenue have heard it all before , could you imagine interviewing this individual, I'd personally loose it myself 😏

Not at all- but all these posts about hiding behind company law are total rubbish- and sorry I wasn’t attacking you only the post -

I am a qualified accountant by the way, but anyone can call themselves an accountant. It's not a protected term. And I'm not sticking up for her here whatsoever. Just pointing out that this isn't the way to go after her. Tax evasion is probably the best avenue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/professional-titles-are-not-always-a-guarantee-1.1815540

Use of the Term 'Accountant' As the law currently stands, there are no legal provisions under the Companies Acts preventing the use of the term 'accountant' by persons who are not members of an accountancy body. 

• Advertisement

You'd actually have far more of a believable case if you did set up as a charity. This story merely reminds me of selling O'Connell bridge to tourists. It's not complex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yes, it’s plausible that a family member or an office worker would have private bank statements.

She’s feiced- that’s 20 years to life 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tbf, Carey made a bags of things without her help. He alleged she swindled 1 million from him, but they recovered about €200000 of it. But Carey himself put himself close to ten million in debt. And left his ex-fiancee completely broke. They co-signed each other's loans, acting as guarantors to one another, thus allowing them to maximise their own personal borrowings.

When DJ's businesses (three of them, I believe) fell flat on their face, he ended up owing close to €10-15 million on the loans, but was able to negotiate repayments with his bank. She, on the other hand, wasn't so fortunate. She was left with major debts due to her co-signing on Carey's loans.

Owned a Chalet, that cost about 15 million, but then sold for 12 million, to help repay her debts. She eventually had a stroke due to the stress she was put under.

Catriona Carey was most definitely no saint, but to blame her entirely for the mess that became DJ's businesses is a stretch.

They're cut from the same cloth, and seem as dodgy as one another.

Yes but it’s the fraud aspect and fraud legislation that you would start with, say the Criminal Justice theft and fraud offences act 2001- claiming to be an accountant when not, if that’s what she was doing. would be certainly seen as supporting a case of say making gain or causing loss by deception

And of course The Anti Money Laundering act which provides for wonderfully lengthy sentences might also be considered if applicable and evidence was available-for people to say she might hide behind some form of protection her company might provide is just laughable

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/7/enacted/en/html#sec7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The banks have only sold some of the celtic tiger distressed loans in the last year or two. There are properties for auction on BIdx1 at this moment and the loanns were drawn down in 2004-2008 and a receiver was only appointed in the last few months. There is a long lkist of possession cases in every circuit court in the country and it is almost invariably the case that the loan is a Celtic tiger era loan.

People wouldn't have been going to Carey unless they were already in arrears and under pressure from the loan provider. When a property is in serious negative equity as many are with a deficit between market value and outstanding loan of over €100k giving the mortgage provider €35lk would be just throwing good money after bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

It's certainly more plausible than those same bank statements being filed with Companies House in the UK which would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭robwen

Oh come on to say DJ is as dodgy as his sister is BS

Added to that is the possibility, if a property was repossessed, then sold at Auction there's a likelyhood of a substantial shortfall in the original mortgage debt which remains tied to the original borrower. So in the very unlikely event, Carey was even able to purchase the properties and somehow magically sell back the properties to the victims, those very victims could possibly already have substantial debts relating to original mortgage hanging over them. Carey was hardly going to over bid and certainly was looking for substantial discounts (wishful thinking of course)

It's often assumed that if a home is repossessed that's the end of it with regard to mortgage debt for the original borrower, it is not necessarily the case, particularly in a negativity equity situation or were the property doesn't achieve enough to clear the debt at auction. In essence , the victims would be possibly be in a worse situation when all is said and done.

We're a property is voluntarily surrendered, deals are generally done to wipe any debt outstanding, if its repossessed, not the case ,coupled with substantial legal costs, estimated at approx €5K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She was also a director on DJs cleaning company and that investigation is forever going on....more than likely this investigation could turn out the same...these company structures must be a minefield if things turn sour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All these people in the soup might have been better off taking the Ivan Yates approach, declare bankruptcy, spend a year living in Wales and then come back debt free having kept the family home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Carey wasn't planning to but the property at auction. She was ostensibly planning to buy the associated loan and only asking the homeowner to repay the amount she had supposedly paid plus interest. Something along these lines was actually done by one of the groups set up to help distressed home-owners.

• Advertisement

Am just guessing that her defence will be a major personality disorder. What the window fitter will put up as an excuse, nobody knows, possibly being under her spell!

I'm aware of that but was just using an example of what happens when a home is repossessed and then goes to auction.

Regardless, the scam itself would likely have left debt remaining on original mortgage on top of legal fees already built up.

The window fitter will say he was "Framed" and that she was a "Pane" but couldn't "See" through her 😁

Her personality is quite complex, Smug, Devious, Brazen , Arrogant , Cunning and Delusional

Indo tomorrow has story that David Hall and the IMHO have a private investigator now after her assets. He’s supposedly representing a few of the people involved.

Who wants last seasons handbags? They’ll get very little I’d say considering there appears to be a few people involved who would have taken a cut coupled with the fact she appears to be high maintenance

• Advertisement
Advertisement