Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't think I'll ever plug in my ps2 ever again but I might get this on its novelty value alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought that, then popped Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast into it and used a HDMI adaptor... it's fecking amazing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've so much good stuff to play on the ps2 still. Don't think I'll ever get through everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I made a conscious effort to get into more PS2 stuff last year and was going well until I came across Outrun 2006 and just ended up playing that all the time. For however longwinded I find the campaign, the core game is stupidly replayable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yep, it's obscenely good, it's a pity that the backwards compatibility was broken on Outrun 2 running on the Xbox One/X/S, there's frame drops and other unoptimised nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just downloaded the PC version. Sumo Digital did a great job of that and it supports crazy resolutions. Only issue is the lack of the XBox DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

It's the same with the arcade version. I spent a while converting a twin driving cab to run PCs. It has everything, link up, full hyperspin menu with 100+ arcade driving games to choose from..... and all I ever play on it is outrun 2 sp sdx. It is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My nephew started collecting ps2 stuff last year, I was so surprised! He'll probably be the one to inherit my stuff too 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just cleaning up my games room tonight and I've amassed a huge amount of stuff really.

Not just games but VHS, laserdisc, toys etc.

Running out of reasonable space. Going to have to cull a few things back. I have seven My Pet Monsters for example, they take up a ton of room. Anyone interested in that kind of stuff keep an eye on my adverts, Ill be clearing out a few things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm always looking to add to my Laserdisc collection if you have anything to move on I don't have already 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

A pretty cool way of storing your loose Gameboy carts.

Must be the first tik tok video I've ever linked to on boards.

https://www.tiktok.com/@boostlee/video/7062047386851429637?sender_device=mobile&sender_web_id=7066802702072989190&is_from_webapp=v1&is_copy_url=0

Another video on it here:

Notice he's not using 3d printed cartridge holders and just has them stored loosely.

I found the STL for the holder here:

Looks like you can buy cassette boxes without pins or lugs also so you don't need to use a tool to cut them out.

Anyone else think that guy in the video sounds like a carbon copy of Angry Video Game Nerd in the voice over segments?

I just realised that the missing game in my life is Cosmic Smash for the Dreamcast...

The search begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Did anyone ever play on a "forgotten worlds" cab in the arcade back in the day?

I've the long awaited darksoft cps1 multi is on pre order. Forgotten Worlds, the very first cps1 game was unique with a spinner an push button as the controller:

https://youtu.be/0V9eNfil_dw

Someone has gone and made a reproduction:

The multi board has the pinout connectors too so this is great timing for any cps1 fans.

In fairness the spinners look to be pretty bulletproof made!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Capcom Fighting Collection is making its way to all platform this June. Aside from a couple first-time outside Japan Darkstalkers releases, it also sees Red Earth finally make its home debut after 26 years. It's an intriguing line-up of games all said. Also Street Fighter VI was announced, if you're into that.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/02/21/capcom-fighting-collection-bundles-10-classic-titles-including-a-ton-of-darkstalkers Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors

Full list of games being:

• Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge
    • Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire
    • Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers’ Revenge
    • Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire
    • Red Earth
    • Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
    • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    • Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
    • Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness

I happy that the PS3 era stinginess of individual, digital-only releases of retro content seems to have come to an end, for the most part.

That's the first ever home release of Red Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I see Lotharek has a scaler/scan doubler coming out shortly. I think he's overselling what it can do, but more options on the market can only be a good thing.

"

Medusa is coming; after many experiments with framemeister, OSSC and others, we decided to make quantum leap ahead all competition and make sth MUCH BETTER

.. and to be honest - WE DID IT !

Medusa project was started 6-7 years ago, when 2 people - old retro stuff geeks have met - Acidmaker (creator of Sio2sd and proffesional file system used at Harvard, Columbia university and many others) and me. Since very beginning Acidmaker was into gettting perfect picture from ATARI ST / ATARI 8bit / Amiga. Meanwhile, me (lotharek), as opposite side, was into simple usage, ergonomy, HYDRA family compatibility and user friendly interface. After 5 long years of develomennt, many protototypes, hours of discussions/testing, thousands of euros spent (obviously...) we are very happy to announce, that final project is coming and it is about to be released in preorder for retro community soon.

What we are about to offer:

device, that converts picture from retro systems to modern displays, that utilise dvi input (with small/cheap adatper also HDMI)

device, made at my automatic lines, that represents highest standarts of smd/THT assembly

device in metal case with nice oled lcd

OSD !!! both on small lcd and displayd picture

addidtional completly NEW approach to picture seetings (usb connection PC-MEDUSA) via terminal banging.

easiest worlwide firmware flashing (just connect medusa to PC/MAC via usb)

Medusa accepts almost all SIGNALS that retro computers can produce:

composite ( yellow chinch, via scart)

Svideo (via scart)

RGB ( via scart)

RGBHS ( via vga connector, separat syncs)

2 functional jack 3.5 mm stereo - working as insput and output

DVI-I output port working in many modes: along with adapters: DVI_I it supplies vga and digital picture, thus old crt monitors as well as modern TVs may be used

hundreds of slots for customers display sets

at the momnet of relase, MEDUSA will detect and properly will display following systems in all available formats:

AMIGA

ATARI ST

ATARI 8bit

ZX SPECTRUM 128 (rgb, composite)

FUTURE PLANS:

we are coutning on You! please support us - we want You to test all devices /consoles You have. Let us now what vide modes shall be added to firmware. We are sorry, we cannot add all available systems to device at the moemnt of sale. But HEY - we will add it to next firmware release, thus preorder price is much lower that final.

Power supply:

micro usb mobile phone charger (5V, 500 mA minimum)

Inputs:

compoiste video ( via scart)

S-VIDEO (via scart)

RGB (via scart)

RGB via VGA input ( separate syncs)

Otput:

DVI-I (digital and analog output via adapters )

Audio out

"

Super Gem Fighter is great craic, I had it on the PS way back in the day, I think I still have it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That upscaler is only DVI out ? Ya you can use an adapter to get HDMI and having to add the audio separately is an unnecessary pain.

Also, vertical SCART is wrong for this design. All external connections should be on the same place. Assuming he'd plenty of vertical sockets left over from the SCART switcher he does.

Yep its good to have more competition in the market but this (on paper) is well behind the other offerings, only advantage seems to be easy of use in configuring via a PC.

Final judgement reserved until the video quality, lag and pricing are determined :)

Got dicked over by an post and the new tariff rules.

Ordered some everdrives a good few days ago. An post sent them back to sender. Who happens to be krikzz who lives in the Ukraine. So I can probably say goodbye to that money.

I'd say krikzz is pretty damn worried. Worst things can happen in life.

They sent them back because of the tariff code bullshit I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm amazed anything gets through at all with that tariff code thing tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I had a few things come in from the UK last year but I'm just using couriers for most stuff, more money less hassle.

Even comparing parcels that come in on here and Twitter I can't make heads nor tails of it

According to Aliexpress tracking my IPS GBC screen cleared Irish customs nearly 2 weeks ago and still no sign of delivery, service really has gone to sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Currently trying to avoid Elden Ring hype. Serious FOMO happening, but I've got a glut of games to play and not enough time ALREADY.

Where's that picture of the sad Dad looking at video games with kids hanging out of him?

Try being the sad dad looking at his games machines and only ever seeing his children play them...

A Kindle is my down-time screen these days!

Avoiding Elden Ring hype myself too. Waiting till I get a PS5 to play it.

• Advertisement

I'll wait until it hits Game Pass or possibly when I finish Witcher 3..

Advertisement