Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION - Storm Eunice 18th February

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I noticed that yesterday's UKMO 12z run was the most bullish in terms of wind impact on the southern half of the country, but as @Meteorite58 points out the GFS and WRF modelled this particulary well. I find the superforecast on windfinder.com (derived from GFS) is usually pretty accurate for my location. Just for fun, I made a note yesterday evenings TAFs from Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports and compared the forecasts to today's actual peak gusts:

Dublin airport: 100Km/h @ 11am (forecast gust 50 knots = 92.6 Km/h, but gave 40% prob of 60 knots)

Shannon airport: 106Km/h @ 10am (forecast gusts 50 knots, 40% probability of 65 knots)

Cork airport: 122Km/h @ 10am (forecast 60 knots = 111 Km/h)

So all underestimated slightly ignoring the 40% prob., but always interesting to cross-check the TAFs against the various models.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

For my location the Wxsim software on my website did well showing a Max Gust of 91km/h when actually it was 85km/h. Allowing for height differences of my anemometer it was accurate. In general we could have had a lot worse conditions considering what Wales and England are getting currently.

The center of the low never really got that classic structure we see on most Atlantic storms. The fact the main low passed over the south coast and another low moved up to Scotland diluted what most got in the end. Still 137km/h at Roches Point and others above 100km/h including Waterford Airport so defintely memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Hourly animation of gusts since 21Z yesterday. Ireland got off very lightly in comparison to southern GB and now the Netherlands. The snow in Ireland really didn't materialise away from Donegal. Certainly not the "drifting snow" that the Minister Patrick O'Donovan spoke of when referring to the orange snow warning counties on Drivetime yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Power lines down and trees down in ballymac.

Kielduff has some big trees down.

Lyracrumpane still without power.

Friend in ballymac had a neighbours trampoline cross 2 hedges, go up a lane and hit his car in the yard.

Council worker killed in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Let's be honest, none of the data really supported widespread lying snow at low elevations and that's how it played out, despite interpretations to the contrary here and in other places. 150m seems to have been the snowline for a time and that's not bad going for an Atlantic storm delivery.

As for Minister O'Donovan, you could hardly expect him to be giving an accurate forecast briefing, just from those few keywords he picked up at the meetings he attended. Met Éireann were right to warn about the risk of snowfall causing disruption on the roads, albeit in short lived bursts, but perhaps a yellow rather than orange warning would have been correct in retrospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

You're almost at the level of that idiot from Donegal now with nonsense you come out with. Yesterday you said no LOI match would be cancelled, it was said to you finn harps could be cancelled as its the only game in an orange snow warning. You said there's no chance of snow there as its only 30m asl (it's actually less) and that it would a typical week in winter nothing more up there. Well it was cancelled earlier today because it failed a pitch inspection with lying snow.

You would have seen lots of pics of the thread today of lying snow in the NW and many of them low level as well. You said it would all be above 300m. You were badly wrong and our now trying to say you were right and everyone else was wrong. The warning was only for the far NW you know, not countrywide. A bit simple I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,503 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looking back at the model performances, when the ICON was showing a track well to the south, it wasn't as far off as the consensus method suggested, although at the 48 to 60 hour time range, the main model error was not so much with track but that dual structure which only began to emerge on more recent model runs. So that makes the discussion of the track performance somewhat blurred by the fact that the northern set of track predictions verified for the northern centre that emerged, but the southern set were fairly good for the southern energy centre.

The fact that the storm took on that dual structure probably explains a lot of the eventual differences between forecast and actual weather, it was clear that the northern energy centre robbed the snowfall zone of full potential except perhaps in one or two places in Mayo and Donegal. It also tended to dilute the strength of northwest winds that would eventually join forces with the southern energy centre, and that probably explains perceived errors (as widely discussed in the other thread) in the orange level wind alerts in Leinster.

I guess I won't use the term landfall again after reading some comments about it, but it was a rather innocuous attempt to avoid a longer string of words relating to track analysis, for me "landfall" just means where the low centre reaches land and does not carry along any implications of "there shall many die" or "here will everyone pledge allegiance to the stars and stripes." Neither of those implications was my intent in using the term, it simply meant what I outlined above, the model depiction of where the low would reach land. In fact, while strongest winds often are found 50-150 miles south of a landfall point (and even for hurricanes, 20 to 50 miles is standard), in this case as with Darwin there was a tendency for strong winds to follow behind the track of the low centre, so I wouldn't say there is always the same relation between storm track and strong winds. Even so, no doubt the strongest winds of the storm were held off to the south and eventually went on to do considerable damage across southern England which was not a surprise to anyone I would think.

Anyway, +1 to Kermit for thinking this would be an event worthy of a thread, and +1 to Sleet and Snow for realizing that a technical thread would be a good idea. The larger general interest thread had a lot of good posts that I found useful, but also it tends to be a collection of comments that I could predict better than the weather itself, and usually from the same people at roughly the same times relative to the unfolding storm. While it's amusing at one level, it is also a pointless waste of time to read the back and forth about their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rather than update the overall storm comparison table to include Storm Eunice (unless there's interest for that), I thought it would be better to do an event specific table of the wind gusts and mean wind speed data at Irish stations.

As always, each one is colour coded to what the value warrants on the warning system.

Roches Point had its highest mean wind speed for February since 1957 and Fastnet had its highest wind gust since Ophelia with 172 km/h. Remember that Fastnet is very exposed but this figure is still notable for there.

On a local note, Dublin Airport had its highest mean wind speed since Doris in February 2017 and had stronger winds than Casement - something that has tended to be the opposite in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭tiegan

"Anyway, +1 to Kermit for thinking this would be an event worthy of a thread, and +1 to Sleet and Snow for realizing that a technical thread would be a good idea. The larger general interest thread had a lot of good posts that I found useful, but also it tends to be a collection of comments that I could predict better than the weather itself, and usually from the same people at roughly the same times relative to the unfolding storm. While it's amusing at one level, it is also a pointless waste of time to read the back and forth about their opinions."

^^^^ spot on, 100% M.T - thanks for all your time, experience and expertise you bring to these threads for ALL our benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

@sryanbruen the top 10-minute speed in Durrow was ~30mph/48kmh.

Very interesting stats and a big thank you for compiling. Mace hd stands out as a county in Orange warning but recorded red warning speeds.

Its gives merit to the warning level criteria requiring a review - but that is for another thread.

Also, is Johnstown the Wexford station Johnstown Castle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

England broke the record for highest ever gusts of 122mph at the Isle of Wight

Good thing 'the data shows storms are getting weaker'

I see cherries are ripe for picking right now.

One 30-metre-high exposed lighthouse out on a rock in the sea that always reads higher than anywhere on the mainland exceeds the previous record from 1979 and you use it in an AGW quest, ignoring previous data that showed storm windspeeds trending in the opposite direction. Not going to hijack this thread with that, but will just leave this.

The record squall, the fastest wind speed ever recorded in England, was reported at the Needles Lighthouse on England's Isle of Wight, beating the previous record of 118 mph (190 km/h) at Gwennap Head, Cornwall, in 1979, according to the Met Office. The fastest wind speed ever recorded in the U.K. was on Cairngorm Summit, a mountain in Scotland that experienced a gust of 173 mph (278 km/h) in 1986.

Despite the storm's devastation, scientists have warned against rushing to link its severity to climate change. Peter Thorne, a professor of climate science at the University of Maynooth in Ireland, wrote on Twitter that, while climate change is making coastal storm surges and extreme rainfalls during storms like Eunice more likely, there is limited evidence for winds themselves being worsened. In addition, climate scientists have long explained that currently, they cannot link an event on its own to the changing climate.

"There are enough already serious and self-evident impacts of climate change happening without proverbially over-egging the pudding and linking each and every event to climate change," Thorne added.

Animation of hourly pressure readings since Monday, showing Dudley's very fast movement eastwards late Wednesday, followed by Eunice's relatively slower movement yesterday.

That ship sailing northeastwards to the south of Ireland over the past couple of days is a container ship called Atlantic Star, and is en route from Halifax to Liverpool. They were releasing a couple of weather balloons every day over the past week, so the name is pretty apt. Without their vital upper data the models would no-doubt have done a worse job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

As an anecdotal observation it seems to me that the wind-field of storms are getting smaller in general and sometimes when conditions are right, very localised effects are capable of matching the storms of old?

For instance, compare Eunice along with say Ophelia and even Darwin - these gave severe conditions in selected localised areas whereas comparing these to The Christmas Storms of 97/98 along with Debbie 62, those blew the whole freakin' Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

There's a difference between climate and weather.

It's like saying there's no such thing as global warming if we mange to get a bad cold snap.

The data actually does show wind speeds are getting slightly weaker. Dublin had its least windy year since 1959 according to ME.

That doesn't mean big storms and gales can't still be expected. But it's the overall trend over a decade or more that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,503 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Also I would hazard the guess from the damage in Oct 1987 that some places without weather stations might have exceeded the wind speed in Eunice at Needles IOW. Whole groves of trees were blown down in the New Forest -- and before somebody says they were in full leaf, I think many of them were coniferous. Also the celebrated Nov (OS) Dec (NS) 1703 storm probably had higher wind gusts than either of them, it certainly had a much higher storm surge into the Severn estuary.

I don't see much evidence of climate change as a big factor in Eunice. The sea surface temperatures in the cyclogenesis zone were not particularly unusual (18 C at 40 N mid-Atlantic is not astonishing). There wasn't some remarkable upper air pattern either, the one thing notable was the presence of those stronger winds for a time, but as we seldom see actual measurements out in the middle of the ocean, we might just not have the climatology record needed for a true comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats fascinating that Roches Point was so high. I'm on Cobh only a few kilometers away line-of-sight and although ther ewas a fair rake of shielding from the land going on, speeds were quite low for me overall. Max gust of 88kmh, and mean winds of 40 - 50kmh only.

Advertisement